ADVERTISEMENT

I see We are getting 3 and 4 star recruits.

Iverson Howard and Malik Washington are two local recruits MD just got and let’s just say that neither one of them have family or friends who could keep their mouth shut about how much money Maryland offered them to sign. Kevin Plank, SVP, Shawn Merriman etc are going to make getting all the DMV guys tough
That doesn't mean they have more money. It means they were willing to pay them more than we were.

Reactions: Gitzit
We are having a very good recruiting season and yet our unrealistic fans complain….. unbelievable. This is not 1975 when western PA is the high school football powerhouse of the United States producing “5 stars.” We are a good solid high school football state, but not a great state anymore. We have to heavily recruit Maryland, Virginia, and NJ to solidify each class. And even if PA was still at its peak in high school football, we don’t have a Phil Knight level alum to fund the necessary NIL to land those 5 stsrs.
I agree. We're doing extremely well recruiting this year

That said, recruiting is now nationwide. It doesn't matter if there's more talent in the state or elsewhere. That's why "dominate the state" is foolish. Get the best from anywhere.

There is no excuse for PSU not having top level NIL funding.

The only school rated higher than Penn State for producing CEOs was Stanford University.
The people most able to contribute NIL money are aged people. Every aged person I know says the same thing, "I'm not giving a cent to PSU because of how they treated Joe Paterno." If the university apologized for how they treated Joe, put the statue back up, and renamed the stadium Paterno Stadium, then the NIL money would flow in like water.

The people most able to contribute NIL money are aged people. Every aged person I know says the same thing, "I'm not giving a cent to PSU because of how they treated Joe Paterno." If the university apologized for how they treated Joe, put the statue back up, and renamed the stadium Paterno Stadium, then the NIL money would flow in like water.
Nonsense and if true everything O'Brien said and all the JoeBot bullshit was true. Joe wouldn't even want the stadium named after him and wouldn't care about a statue. You're beyond insane.

Fine but go away. Psu will do fine without them.

Ps. Weren't some of joes critics alumni and football alumni?

I agree. We're doing extremely well recruiting this year

That said, recruiting is now nationwide. It doesn't matter if there's more talent in the state or elsewhere. That's why "dominate the state" is foolish. Get the best from anywhere.

What year did Franklin say dominate the state? Kind of foolish to harp on an old quote when the program has since gone national.

Reactions: lazydave841
We are having a very good recruiting season and yet our unrealistic fans complain….. unbelievable. This is not 1975 when western PA is the high school football powerhouse of the United States producing “5 stars.” We are a good solid high school football state, but not a great state anymore. We have to heavily recruit Maryland, Virginia, and NJ to solidify each class. And even if PA was still at its peak in high school football, we don’t have a Phil Knight level alum to fund the necessary NIL to land those 5 stsrs.

The premise is not even accurate. 10+ players in the roster who were 5*s.

Reactions: bison13
With Nike paying Oregon so much money, why do schools like PSU become Nike schools? Especially, now that Oregon is in the same conference it doesn't make sense. PSU, UM etc. should tell Nike that we want equal money or we will go with a different vendor.

With Nike paying Oregon so much money, why do schools like PSU become Nike schools? Especially, now that Oregon is in the same conference it doesn't make sense. PSU, UM etc. should tell Nike that we want equal money or we will go with a different vendor.
This week Nike stock lost double digits in value and billions in cash because of bad quarterly results and projections for continued lessening of sales.

Excellent point. Always hated seeing the swoosh everywhere.

But schools don’t put that on without compensation. How much do we make from them?

Reactions: step.eng69
Excellent point. Always hated seeing the swoosh everywhere.

But schools don’t put that on without compensation. How much do we make from them?

It's probably a good deal, but not even in the stratosphere of Phil's private donations. Besides, Oregon gets the same "swoosh on jersey $" too, plus more.

Because psu makes millions off the deal. If psu cuts ties to Nike do you think that will stop Phil knight from supporting Oregon?

Dominate the State isn't foolish. It's absolutely true that PA high school football isn't near the quality it was 40 years ago. However the state still produces a lot of talented players (regardless of stars). Just to name a few: Saquon, Miles Sanders, Abdul Carter, Journey Brown. None of these guys were five stars but made 5 star like contributions and that's more important than the rating they had coming in. Remember, the star ratings are only opinions, and they can be wrong. See: Justin Shorter, Ricky Slade, and many others. We still need to get the best players from PA every year.

Reactions: proud2bpsufan
Richie says there are 5 Fortune 500 companies in Columbus.
If you've never been to Columbus before and go through it for the first time, you'll probably be blown away. I believe they now have a population right around 1 million inside the city limits and 2.5 million with the suburbs. I read awhile back that Columbus and Austin TX have been the two fastest growing and booming cities in the country recently.

And the OSU campus is just north of downtown (you can walk to downtown) which really draws some of the kids that have grown up in a city. OSU has a ton of built in advantages

Last edited:
You're pretending a head coach of a college football program isn't responsible for obtain NIL money from donors? Seriously?
That's arguably his top priority in this era.
How dare fans expect a head coach to do their job.
I agree. His assistants handle the day to day recruiting of the players and building the relationship. Franklin knows the recruits, especially the top ones, but he is not doing the daily grind work. That is for his coordinators and other assistants. But securing big money for NIL, that rests on him and Kraft. Franklin needs to be able to generate NIL support for us to compete in the modern college football world. Goes with the territory as a HC of a major power 4-5 program and since he already gets paid $9 million a year he can take this big responsibility on without a raise!

NIL can expand our recruiting base nationally. Already seeing it getting the '25 CB out of Southern California, the QB for the '26 class out of Southern California. Plus the EDGE out of Texas '25 class). Money talks and if it has the right talk, players with their parents' approval will go 1,000, 2,000 or 3,000 miles away to play college football.

From a PSU friend who said he read an article with this data on NIL donations.

Ohio State $57 million
Michigan $31 million
Penn State $7 million

We got some catching up to do.

Where are the 5 stars ?

ON3 had 35 players ranked as 5 stars in the most recent recruiting cycle and considering there are 130 Div 1 Bowl championship programs in the the country, I'd be happy to get just one. There's just not many out there to go around.

Last edited:
NIL can expand our recruiting base nationally. Already seeing it getting the '25 CB out of Southern California, the QB for the '26 class out of Southern California. Plus the EDGE out of Texas '25 class). Money talks and if it has the right talk, players with their parents' approval will go 1,000, 2,000 or 3,000 miles away to play college football.
Conference expansion should also improve national recruiting.

Mom and Dad in California will be getting one or two PSU visits yearly to watch Junior play on the West Coast, plus media coverage of the conference.

Ohio State $57 million
Michigan $31 million
Penn State $7 million

What did Michigan spend it on? Beyond the cheating scandal, they were just a team built with older players. There were no obvious "they bought him" types on the roster last year nor this year. Every player who could turn pro essentially did after the title. They didn't end up with a top 3 recruiting class (13th).

Just curious, what are they doing with it?

At least OSU retained roughly 10 players who could have turned pro (Henderson, Egbuka, JTT to name a couple who would have been taken in the first 2 rounds) and bought a portal QB/RB.

Ohio State $57 million
Michigan $31 million
Penn State $7 million

I dont believe this for a second but if true its the first time I do think Frabklin needs to be fired. He's failing miserable. I'd love to see the article because I think it's far from factual.

I dont believe this for a second but if true its the first time I do think Frabklin needs to be fired. He's failing miserable. I'd love to see the article because I think it's far from factual.

If they are true, you certainly don't want to know what Georgia Bama and Texas have.

Don't forget the '22 A&M class. They supposedly spent $25m on that sucker and didn't win squat. Half or more of the players are even gone now.

If they are true, you certainly don't want to know what Georgia Bama and Texas have.

Don't forget the '22 A&M class. They supposedly spent $25m on that sucker and didn't win squat. Half or more of the players are even gone now.
I'm not questing the Ohio State or Michigan numbers (though i'm guessing they're closer than that) but we're spending way more than 7M or we'd have a class outside the top 30

I'm not questing the Ohio State or Michigan numbers (though i'm guessing they're closer than that) but we're spending way more than 7M or we'd have a class outside the top 30

Psu class is borderline too 10. So Franklin is not failing miserably?

Ohio State $57 million
Michigan $31 million
Penn State $7 million

Source?

Several months ago I saw something that said OSU had $20 million and PSU ha

I'll try to get the source. $7 million does seem kind of low but I don't have a good sense on an NIL budget. For example, is every player and recruit getting paid? Assume a payroll of 100 roughly, 80 on the team and 20 recruits just to work with round numbers then that is $70,000 per player/recruit. Clearly not enough for our star players and high end recruits but too much for other players. What are we paying Allar? That would help get a perspective. Is he getting a million? What does Pribula get, Grunk? QB is the most important position so they have to be getting paid pretty well. Are there players getting nothing? Does a guy on the 3rd string get anything? Whst about the bottom 5 ranked incoming recruits? How much? I just don't have any baseline to make even reasonable projections.

The $57 million is insane but believable.
You think they could have spent $20-$25 million to keep Egbuka, Henderson and JTT then another $10-$15 million on their recruiting class and portal. Then the last $15-$20 million on keeping the rest of the team happy. Just a total swag but you can eat up money fast when you are paying guys NFL type salaries.

I'll try to get the source. $7 million does seem kind of low but I don't have a good sense on an NIL budget. For example, is every player and recruit getting paid? Assume a payroll of 100 roughly, 80 on the team and 20 recruits just to work with round numbers then that is $70,000 per player/recruit. Clearly not enough for our star players and high end recruits but too much for other players. What are we paying Allar? That would help get a perspective. Is he getting a million? What does Pribula get, Grunk? QB is the most important position so they have to be getting paid pretty well. Are there players getting nothing? Does a guy on the 3rd string get anything? Whst about the bottom 5 ranked incoming recruits? How much? I just don't have any baseline to make even reasonable projections.

The $57 million is insane but believable.
You think they could have spent $20-$25 million to keep Egbuka, Henderson and JTT then another $10-$15 million on their recruiting class and portal. Then the last $15-$20 million on keeping the rest of the team happy. Just a total swag but you can eat up money fast when you are paying guys NFL type salaries.
Allar is definitely getting close to 7 figures if not more. And, yes, most recruits are going to want money or they'd be going elsewhere. Same for players that are proven themselves on the team. Neither back would still be here if they weren't making decent money for example. I'd wager we're way closer to 57M than 7M.

This era is all about a bidding war. The third string QB may not be making anything but will transfer if he can.

Take a look at UM recruiting rankings the past 5 years: #13, #18, #9, #10, and #11. Don't know if there were any 5 stars since it didn't matter. The team they put on the field physically kicked ass and won the NC.

The last 3 years they physically dominated OSU who was loaded with 5 stars!

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Take a look at UM recruiting rankings the past 5 years: #13, #18, #9, #10, and #11. Don't know if there were any 5 stars since it didn't matter. The team they put on the field physically kicked ass and won the NC.

They put all their money and efforts into the “scouting” department. 🤪

Do you believe Franklin is on par with Harbaugh in terms of developing talent? Michigan will need to improve their recruiting to continue beating Ohio State without Harbaugh

Ohio State $57 million
Michigan $31 million
Penn State $7 million

Gotta believe these are just made up numbers. Some of the material on college sites gets ridiculous. PSU has to have more than $7 million and how would anyone come up with these accumulative figures ? What school would release these numbers?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT