ADVERTISEMENT

I see We are getting 3 and 4 star recruits.

Do you believe Franklin is on par with Harbaugh in terms of developing talent? Michigan will need to improve their recruiting to continue beating Ohio State without Harbaugh
Yep, I know most consider Harbaugh a weirdo but he was also the Master of Development. It will be interesting to watch Michigan this year - especially on offense - where they got wiped out including their top 6 OL which was the heart and soul of their team.

Yep, I know most consider Harbaugh a weirdo but he was also the Master of Development. It will be interesting to watch Michigan this year - especially on offense - where they got wiped out including their top 6 OL which was the heart and soul of their team.
Oh he's absolutely weird but, like you said, a phenomenal developer of talent. Arguably the best in the college game. They're going to miss that aspect of his coaching way more than him being on the sidelines

Take a look at UM recruiting rankings the past 5 years: #13, #18, #9, #10, and #11. Don't know if there were any 5 stars since it didn't matter. The team they put on the field physically kicked ass and won the NC.

The last 3 years they physically dominated OSU who was loaded with 5 stars!
Smart……they emphasized line play on both sides. Most QB and backs look good with great o lines.

It’s why no Buckeye QB has done well in the pros. They look much better in college than they really are because they always had great o lines.

Take a look at UM recruiting rankings the past 5 years: #13, #18, #9, #10, and #11. Don't know if there were any 5 stars since it didn't matter. The team they put on the field physically kicked ass and won the NC.

Go back and look at the 2023 Michigan-OSU game and OSU had more yards and first downs than Michigan ------ Michigan did not dominate the game. It was the 2 interceptions by McCord which cost OSU, especially the last one when OSU was driving for the winning TD.

McCord was a decent-OK QB but not for an offensive juggernaut like OSU. He basically had no mobility and just didn't make the big plays when needed (from Eleven Warriors). That last interception against UM was the deciding factor that - in reality - sent him packing

Smart……they emphasized line play on both sides. Most QB and backs look good with great o lines.

It’s why no Buckeye QB has done well in the pros. They look much better in college than they really are because they always had great o lines.
Somewhat true but if you go back and look at many of the powerhouse OSU, Oklahoma, and even Nebraska teams of the last 40 or 50 years, most of their great QBs were read-option type QBs which does not equate to success in the NFL but was very effective in CF. Those early Oklahoma teams especially come to mind ---- they sure kicked butt on offense - almost impossible to stop with those option-style QBs.

Just in the Meyer, Tressel and 1st Day year (2019), OSU had option-QBs like Justin Fields, JT Barrett, Braxton Miller, Terrelle Pryor, Troy Smith and Krenzel. None of them were prototype NFL QBs (maybe Fields) but they sure tore it up in CF with their arms and legs. There was an article on this about a month ago on Eleven Warriors

Last edited:
Go back and look at the 2023 Michigan-OSU game and OSU had more yards and first downs than Michigan ------ Michigan did not dominate the game. It was the 2 interceptions by McCord which cost OSU, especially the last one when OSU was driving for the winning TD.

McCord was a decent-OK QB but not for an offensive juggernaut like OSU. He basically had no mobility and just didn't make the big plays when needed (from Eleven Warriors). That last interception against UM was the deciding factor that - in reality - sent him packing
Go back to the 2021 game when UM had the 3 year run against ODU; they dominated them with the running game. Ryan Day just commented about his concern going into 2024 the right side of his OL isn't up to par. He said UM dominated them with their pass rush last year causing McCord to throw the pick in the last part of the game. Beating a team up front is dominating and Day admitted they could not block UM DL.

Go back to the 2021 game when UM had the 3 year run against ODU; they dominated them with the running game. Ryan Day just commented about his concern going into 2024 the right side of his OL isn't up to par. He said UM dominated them with their pass rush last year causing McCord to throw the pick in the last part of the game. Beating a team up front is dominating and Day admitted they could not block UM DL.
Yep, and look at our game in which the QB was getting killed so bad they never threw a single pass in the second half. (Attempted one that was negated by a penalty)

They relied on their o line …..and defense….to win the game.

Not arguing that the OSU OL was their weak link in 2023 with several new starters and very little experience. I was commenting on the 2023 game (not the 2021 or 2022 games) and OSU had Michigan on the ropes.

The knock on McCord was he was a statue in the pocket and any team with a solid pass rush could rattle him as he just didn't have the mobility to escape a rush. It was basically a season-long problem. It was one of the reasons that moved OSU to go after that KSU QB - can't think of his name - who has a decent arm but is also an effective runner

Not arguing that the OSU OL was their weak link in 2023 with several new starters and very little experience. I was commenting on the 2023 game (not the 2021 or 2022 games) and OSU had Michigan on the ropes.

The knock on McCord was he was a statue in the pocket and any team with a solid pass rush could rattle him as he just didn't have the mobility to escape a rush. It was basically a season-long problem. It was one of the reasons that moved OSU to go after that KSU QB - can't think of his name - who has a decent arm but is also an effective runner
2023 game 30-24 Rushing UM 148 - OSU 107. 2022 game 45-23 Rushing UM 254 - OSU 145, And UM got those rushing yards without Blake Corum who was out with an injury.

2023 game 30-24 Rushing UM 148 - OSU 107. 2022 game 45-23 Rushing UM 254 - OSU 145, And UM got those rushing yards without Blake Corum who was out with an injury.
Again, I was commenting on just the 2023 game and OSU ended up with more total yards and 1st downs. If OSU can field a good OL (a big if right now especially the right side), they'll win it all in 2024. Everything else is in place for OSU in 2024

Again, I was commenting on just the 2023 game and OSU ended up with more total yards and 1st downs. If OSU can field a good OL (a big if right now especially the right side), they'll win it all in 2024. Everything else is in place for OSU in 2024
You better contact Ryan Day who stated that UM DL dominated them which made the difference in the game.

No matter how many yards you get in a game, if you are "dominated" up front, which they were, you are going to loose. Statistics don't mean that much since the games I watched 21-22-23 UM physically dominated OSU. That's why they won, let alone vs Washington which looked like "men against boys."

Gotta believe these are just made up numbers. Some of the material on college sites gets ridiculous. PSU has to have more than $7 million and how would anyone come up with these accumulative figures ? What school would release these numbers?
It apparently is on the 247 site.

Will Howard is their QB. Maybe his mobility makes the difference for them and covers up for a weak offensive line or at least one side being kind of weak. I really wonder how weak it is, though.

That Oregon game is huge. They win that on the road and they are in great shape. Then they have us on the road and Michigan at home as their testers. Obviously would love to see us pull off the upset. Don't see Michigan beating them. It is hard to make predictions until we start seeing the games.

Will Howard is their QB. Maybe his mobility makes the difference for them and covers up for a weak offensive line or at least one side being kind of weak. I really wonder how weak it is, though.

That Oregon game is huge. They win that on the road and they are in great shape. Then they have us on the road and Michigan at home as their testers. Obviously would love to see us pull off the upset. Don't see Michigan beating them. It is hard to make predictions until we start seeing the games.
Agree, and as you mentioned, that Oregon-OSU game is HUGE with not only B1G implications but maybe even the NC favorite. Lanning is one of the very best HCs in the country and he's still only 38. And agree, Michigan's offense took a huge hit - especially their top 6 OL leaving which was the heart and soul of that team. That was one of the best OL I've seen in years.

It’s way too early for this entire thread. Over half the five stars haven’t committed. A lot will wait until signing day to get on tv. And once they all sign we will drop to 12-15 just like always.

I get it. It is too early to give psu credit but not too early to blame.

Ps. Where do you think the program should rank? Do you think psu is Alabama?

That's the goal. See Georgia firing Richt.

Is that your goal when you complain about the PSU football budget and Georgia has three times he recruiting budget?

How many ranked recruits in Pennsylvania vs Georgia?

Was that the goal in 2011 when psu recruiting class was ranked 35th and was behind Rutgers?

Your goal seems to change. Success with honer has now morphed into staffers taking players to strip clubs and a player dying in a high speed crash. #georgia

Did Georgia meet YOUR goal last year or should they fire Kirby? Is Michigan your new model of success?

Could you come up with a less original plan? Hey, lets copy someone else. Your plan USUALLY fails. The copycats are not going to copy as well as the originator. PSU wont have as much talent as Georgia. 2023 Georgia could not even copy 2022 Georgia even though they had most of the same staff and players.

Last edited:
Is that your goal when you complain about the PSU football budget and Georgia has three times he recruiting budget?

How many ranked recruits in Pennsylvania vs Georgia?

Was that the goal in 2011 when psu recruiting class was ranked 35th and was behind Rutgers?

Your goal seems to change. Success with honer has now morphed into staffers taking players to strip clubs and a player dying in a high speed crash. #georgia

Did Georgia meet YOUR goal last year or should they fire Kirby? Is Michigan your new model of success?

Could you come up with a less original plan? Hey, lets copy someone else. Your plan USUALLY fails. The copycats are not going to copy as well as the originator. PSU wont have as much talent as Georgia. 2023 Georgia could not even copy 2022 Georgia even though they had most of the same staff and players.
Franklin's job is to make money to get to the level of Georgia's budget
Recruiting isn't local any more.
Why are you talking about 2011?
I never cared about "success with honor". I've said repeatedly that was something Paterno used to lower expectations
Do you think Kirby was satisfied with last year?
I'll repeat--Franklin has done a great job, specifically the past two years, of getting us to a team that now beats all the teams we're expected to. His next goal, over the next 2-3 years, is to build on that success. If not, he becomes Richt and you move on.
Nothing you said here makes sense--when did my goal change? I wanted Paterno fired during the dark years since he wouldn't step away on his own. You're rambling nonsense because you continually respond to me as though I think Paterno was the greatest coach ever when he's not even close to that.

The people most able to contribute NIL money are aged people. Every aged person I know says the same thing, "I'm not giving a cent to PSU because of how they treated Joe Paterno." If the university apologized for how they treated Joe, put the statue back up, and renamed the stadium Paterno Stadium, then the NIL money would flow in like water.
We DEFINITELY don't want those particular "aged people" involved. PSU isn't Paterno State University, no matter how much they wish it was. Be gone. Worship your messiah in bitterness and pettiness. To return the favor of bitterness and pettiness, I hope they wait until all those "aged people" are gone, and THEN they bring the statue out.

Agree, and as you mentioned, that Oregon-OSU game is HUGE with not only B1G implications but maybe even the NC favorite. Lanning is one of the very best HCs in the country and he's still only 38. And agree, Michigan's offense took a huge hit - especially their top 6 OL leaving which was the heart and soul of that team. That was one of the best OL I've seen in years.
Do you know what kind of depth Michigan has at O-Line? There will be a drop off but wondering how much. They will lose a lot at QB also. Their D I think will be very good. Still they don't beat OSU and probably lose to Texas at home. I see them beating SC at home and having a good shot of beating UDub on the road. Outside shot they could be undefeated going to Columbus but probably will have one loss. We may find ourselves battling them for a #11 or #12 playoff spot. We have to beat USC because that gives us a great shot to have only one loss and in the playoff.

Do all you guys remember this time last year when everyone said that Michigan’s o line was a big question mark? They had lost several to the NFL and were relying on multiple portal transfers. And it certainly paid off for them.

Don’t know how many transfers they got this year. Or the depth they had from recruiting. But I have learned to not count on them having a weak o line.

They haven’t suffered so in several years. No reason to expect them to do so now.

Do you know what kind of depth Michigan has at O-Line? There will be a drop off but wondering how much. They will lose a lot at QB also. Their D I think will be very good. Still they don't beat OSU and probably lose to Texas at home. I see them beating SC at home and having a good shot of beating UDub on the road. Outside shot they could be undefeated going to Columbus but probably will have one loss. We may find ourselves battling them for a #11 or #12 playoff spot. We have to beat USC because that gives us a great shot to have only one loss and in the playoff.
The biggest issue for Michigan this year is the loss of Harbaugh who was a master at player development. Whether you like that weirdo or not, he was an excellent coach. Just don't see Michigan competing for the B1G title under their new coach (can't remember his name). I see OSU, Oregon, and PSU as Playoff teams in the new 12-team format- and possibly USC if they can figure out how to play defense. Man, the B1G is going to be fun to watch this year

Reactions: The Spin Meister

UM dominated because they put an emphasis on POWER Football & run blocking. PSU is still RPO first.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
From a PSU friend who said he read an article with this data on NIL donations.

Ohio State $57 million
Michigan $31 million
Penn State $7 million

We got some catching up to do.
Minor league football without rules or a salary cap….very sad.

UM dominated because they put an emphasis on POWER Football & run blocking. PSU is still RPO first.
Agree for the most part but Michigan also had an excellent defense the last few years which set up their power football and running attack. Teams with mediocre defenses usually have to throw the ball to play catchup.

In fact, many fans point to Corum, McCarthy and that OL as the keys to Michigan's NC, but I honestly think the one play that everyone overlooks is that late interception of OSU's McCord when OSU was driving for the winning TD. That Michigan defense really stood tall on that play

Same with Alabama and Georgia. That was also a heck of a game. A couple of key stops by Alabama late put them in the Playoffs. Without those late-key defensive stops, both Georgia & OSU were Playoff bound and both had the talent to win it all.

That's why I really like the expanded 12-team Playoff this year. This will give really good teams a 2nd chance to win it all and not have their seasons ended and determined by one or two key plays. And who knows, with just 2 losses PSU would have been in last year's 12-teamPlayoffs and from there anything can happen

Last edited:
Reactions: RickinDayton
Franklin's job is to make money to get to the level of Georgia's budget
Recruiting isn't local any more.
Why are you talking about 2011?
I never cared about "success with honor". I've said repeatedly that was something Paterno used to lower expectations
Do you think Kirby was satisfied with last year?
I'll repeat--Franklin has done a great job, specifically the past two years, of getting us to a team that now beats all the teams we're expected to. His next goal, over the next 2-3 years, is to build on that success. If not, he becomes Richt and you move on.
Nothing you said here makes sense--when did my goal change? I wanted Paterno fired during the dark years since he wouldn't step away on his own. You're rambling nonsense because you continually respond to me as though I think Paterno was the greatest coach ever when he's not even close to that.
Completely different game with NIL…simply minor league football without any salary cap. Comparisons to past are no longer relevant.

Completely different game with NIL…simply minor league football without any salary cap. Comparisons to past are no longer relevant.
It's Franklin's job to secure money for NIL, spending it correctly, develop players and contend for titles, right?

The era changing doesn't alter if the coach is successful but coming up short you eventually move on.

OL is particularly concerning. Between the recruits of 2024 and 2025, there are six three stars, and one four star (Cousins) (provided I counted correctly.)

Will be interesting to see if Trautwein can develop them. I haven't been impressed so far.

OL is particularly concerning. Between the recruits of 2024 and 2025, there are six three stars, and one four star (Cousins) (provided I counted correctly.)

Will be interesting to see if Trautwein can develop them. I haven't been impressed so far.
Birchmeier & Williams should have a few years to play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT