ADVERTISEMENT

I think this Navy Captain deserves a medal

He leaked the letter he sent to his commander. He let C

He leaked secret info to the media. He let our enemies know we had a carrier dead in the water. He should have called his commander. The Navy dies not abandon their own. It has nothing to do with the virus. He cracked under pressure of a crisis. Not what you want in a captain.
I know what I want in a Captain, having served under several. He is exactly what I'd want if I were still in the Navy, or if I had kids in the Navy.

Here’s the big sh!tty reality with this type of thinking - when more information does inevitably come out will those who condemned him immediately, re-evaluate their own opinions and condemnations? History says no. The red scares of the 20’ & 50’s, Salem Witch Trials, the inquisition.

Probably not, but the same applies to those that defended him if it turns out he did what he is accused of. Works both ways, not just the way you see it.

Here’s the big sh!tty reality with this type of thinking - when more information does inevitably come out will those who condemned him immediately, re-evaluate their own opinions and condemnations? History says no. The red scares of the 20’ & 50’s, Salem Witch Trials, the inquisition.
No they won’t. I just hate the misinformation. I also have a hard time listening to preach about military discipline from people who never served. He was clearly in a no win situation and now the Navy is in one which they do not like.

He was not court martial that tells me and I agree with you none of us know. I still talk to former sailors and none of them know.

This just happened within the past couple of weeks. A court-martial can take months. Not saying he will be court-martialed or even deserves to be court-martialed. But the fact that he hasn't been court-martialed yet or even charged means nothing in terms of whether he will be eventually.

This just happened within the past couple of weeks. A court-martial can take months. Not saying he will be court-martialed or even deserves to be court-martialed. But the fact that he hasn't been court-martialed yet or even charged means nothing in terms of whether he will be eventually.
The thing about Court Martials is that the defense gets to ask a lot of questions and demand answers. I don't think the civilians who made the decision to relieve him are really going to be any too eager about any of that. Also I'd note that normally a ship captain who is relieved would be relieved by his commander- or the next higher commander, not by a civilian in Washington.

The thing about Court Martials is that the defense gets to ask a lot of questions and demand answers. I don't think the civilians who made the decision to relieve him are really going to be any too eager about any of that. Also I'd note that normally a ship captain who is relieved would be relieved by his commander- or the next higher commander, not by a civilian in Washington.

Again, I'm not saying one way or the other that the guy should be court-martialed or that he will be court-martialed. Just that the fact that he hasn't yet been charged with anything is indicative of nothing.

Reactions: Nitt1300
During your plebe summer you are required to quote verbatim T. Roosevelt’s Man in the Areans
Again, I'm not saying one way or the other that the guy should be court-martialed or that he will be court-martialed. Just that the fact that he hasn't yet been charged with anything is indicative of nothing.
The irony is during plebe summer you are require verbatim T Roosevelt’s Man in the Arena

I suspect that he won't get one- and worse, that he'll be fired as soon as this is out of the public eye- I hope I'm wrong.

'He must have felt like that was the only recourse': Captain of coronavirus-stricken carrier issues urgent plea to Pentagon for help'

https://www.yahoo.com/news/he-must-...gent-plea-for-help-to-pentagon-154520796.html

A few moons ago, a revered football coach followed his chain of command and was severely criticized by news media and public that he should have done more. One has to follow their own conscious and not judge decision of others without having ALL pertinent information.

As for the Captain of the CVS Roosevelt, he made his bed; now he must sleep in it.

So I’ve sat and watched this thread grow every day since it’s been started, and I continue to be amazed at the amount of people that look at this With such black and white Lenses. Few thoughts:

SOMEONE (the CAPT, or someone in the email chain) broke military protocol by releasing the letter to the public, and needs to be punished. About the ONLY black and white thing in this whole story is that there are rules and regulations in the military, and they’re there for a reason. If they get broken, you get punished. PERIOD. If I can hop in the way-back machine, I got an article 15 when I was in the Air Force. I returned to AK from a trip to PA, and came right back to the dorms. I forgot I had my pistol with me, and when I unpacked the next day there it was. Clear violation of base rules (all firearms, personal or job related, are to be kept at the armory while on base property). I immediately took it to my truck, then off post and eventually ended up selling it. However someone (a friend at the time) saw me with it on post. After a falling out, this person told one of their friends (who worked security forces) and boom, eventual article 15. Was it a mistake? Absolutely. After a 9 hour direct flight from BWI I was exhausted and completely forgot and ended up getting rid of it. When I was investigated, I didn’t even have the gun anymore. Did I break the rules? Absolutely and (in retrospect) I’m not mad I got in trouble. I broke the rules and needed to be punished for it. Black and white. Could they have given me a lesser punishment than 30 days extra duty, forfeiture or pay and suspended rank? Absolutely, but punishment needed to happen.

I don’t see classification markings so I assess that this was sent by unclassified Means. Still, I’d imagine it, being official military correspondence, should be AT LEAST “FOUO”. Another big no no.

NO ONE knows what the response was. Was he told “we’re working on figuring out a solution but it’s going to take time. Do what you can” And he was impatient because of the growing threat? Or was he given radio silence? Or was it something in between? For those “he needs a medal” folks, would it change your mind if he notified CoC, was given an immediate response and subsequent 6 hour SITREPs on the proceedings and still he leaked it? For the “lock him up” crowd, what if he notified leadership and got radio silence and someone else leaked it?

I think I’ll just wait to see what truly happened before I pass judgement.

So I’ve sat and watched this thread grow every day since it’s been started, and I continue to be amazed at the amount of people that look at this With such black and white Lenses. Few thoughts:

SOMEONE (the CAPT, or someone in the email chain) broke military protocol by releasing the letter to the public, and needs to be punished. About the ONLY black and white thing in this whole story is that there are rules and regulations in the military, and they’re there for a reason. If they get broken, you get punished. PERIOD. If I can hop in the way-back machine, I got an article 15 when I was in the Air Force. I returned to AK from a trip to PA, and came right back to the dorms. I forgot I had my pistol with me, and when I unpacked the next day there it was. Clear violation of base rules (all firearms, personal or job related, are to be kept at the armory while on base property). I immediately took it to my truck, then off post and eventually ended up selling it. However someone (a friend at the time) saw me with it on post. After a falling out, this person told one of their friends (who worked security forces) and boom, eventual article 15. Was it a mistake? Absolutely. After a 9 hour direct flight from BWI I was exhausted and completely forgot and ended up getting rid of it. When I was investigated, I didn’t even have the gun anymore. Did I break the rules? Absolutely and (in retrospect) I’m not mad I got in trouble. I broke the rules and needed to be punished for it. Black and white. Could they have given me a lesser punishment than 30 days extra duty, forfeiture or pay and suspended rank? Absolutely, but punishment needed to happen.

I don’t see classification markings so I assess that this was sent by unclassified Means. Still, I’d imagine it, being official military correspondence, should be AT LEAST “FOUO”. Another big no no.

NO ONE knows what the response was. Was he told “we’re working on figuring out a solution but it’s going to take time. Do what you can” And he was impatient because of the growing threat? Or was he given radio silence? Or was it something in between? For those “he needs a medal” folks, would it change your mind if he notified CoC, was given an immediate response and subsequent 6 hour SITREPs on the proceedings and still he leaked it? For the “lock him up” crowd, what if he notified leadership and got radio silence and someone else leaked it?

Nice friend.

I think most realize someone needs to get punished here possibly, but this isn't so black and white like your situation was. We'll see what will happen as the facts should come out in time. If this was a war time situation and the pandemic hit...he probably reacts differently. Tough call all around for certain.

Reactions: nittanyfan333
Nice friend.

I was told that she and 3 other people sat around one night, got drunk and schemed how they would get me in trouble. The person that told me about it was there with them but it didn’t sit right how they did it, so he had to clear his conscience.

I was told that she and 3 other people sat around one night, got drunk and schemed how they would get me in trouble. The person that told me about it was there with them but it didn’t sit right how they did it, so he had to clear his conscience.
Talk about your comrades in arms NOT. I wouldn’t want to go to general quarters with that group.

WASHINGTON — For days, he fended off fears that the contagion would spread unchecked through his crew. Then last week, the captain of the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt, who had appealed to his superiors for help, was fired.

By Sunday, friends said, he had come down with the coronavirus himself.

The military has long adhered to a rigid chain of command and tolerated no dissent expressed outside official channels. Capt. Brett Crozier, the skipper of the aircraft carrier, knew he was up against those imperatives when he asked for help for nearly 5,000 crew members trapped in a petri dish of a warship in the middle of a pandemic.

But colleagues say the mistake that could cost Crozier his career was charging headlong into the Trump administration’s narrative that it had everything under control.

Pentagon officials said that although President Donald Trump never ordered Crozier dismissed, he was displeased with the captain’s actions and let the Navy know — a sentiment Trump made very public Saturday when he lashed out at the captain.

Even so, the Navy’s top brass clashed about what to do.

Adm. Michael M. Gilday, the chief of naval operations, privately urged against dismissal and argued that, per usual Navy procedures, an investigation into what went wrong on the Roosevelt should be allowed to play out. But the acting Navy secretary, Thomas B. Modly, overruled the Navy’s top admiral, saying Crozier had cracked under pressure.

Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper said Sunday that he supported Modly’s decision. The Washington Post first reported the differing opinions among Navy officials.

Navy officials acknowledged Sunday that tensions between Crozier and his immediate boss, Rear Adm. Stuart P. Baker, commander of a multiship task force including the Roosevelt, most likely complicated the Navy’s response to the viral outbreak and prompted the captain to send a four-page letter pleading for help. Officials said the letter, sent as an unclassified email, went only to other Navy personnel, but it leaked to the news media last week.

Indeed, the Navy hinted at such tensions in a statement Sunday that the findings of the investigation into what happened aboard the Roosevelt and the chain of command in the Pacific, including its “command climate,” would be submitted to Gilday on Monday.

According to those who have known Crozier for more than three decades, the picture Modly paints of their friend and classmate is not one they recognize.

Jeff Craig, who recently retired from the Navy after serving as a captain, including a tour as second-in-command of the Roosevelt, worked extensively with Crozier after attending the Naval Academy with him. Crozier became a helicopter pilot, Craig said, earning a nickname that he retained even after he transitioned to flying jets and ultimately to commanding a carrier: Chopper.

“Chopper is one of the best people I have ever known, both professionally and personally,” Craig, who now works with Amazon’s air cargo division, said in an interview Sunday.

On Sunday, Crozier was in quarantine in Guam, the American territory in the Pacific, dealing with a dry, raspy cough, say people who know him. At least 400 sailors from the Roosevelt who have tested negative for the virus are expected to be sent from the ship to hotels, joining 625 other sailors who have already tested negative.

It is not known when Crozier’s diagnosis was made, or whether the Navy was aware of his infection when he was removed from command, if the medical results came before his punishment.

Friends and colleagues say Crozier, 50, is at peace with a decision that most likely ended a career that vaulted him from the U.S. Naval Academy to the prestigious job as captain of one of the Navy’s 11 aircraft carriers.

Crozier, a native of Santa Rosa, California, started his career flying helicopters. He was then accepted for an exceptionally rare transfer to fly fixed-wing jet aircraft, eventually rising to command an F/A-18 Hornet fighter squadron. From there, he began climbing the nearly decadelong pipeline to command an aircraft carrier.

Crozier entered the Navy’s academically daunting nuclear power school to learn how to run the twin nuclear plants at the heart of a Nimitz-class carrier like the Theodore Roosevelt. Then, he served as the second-in-command of the carrier USS Ronald Reagan, and later as the top officer of the USS Blue Ridge, an amphibious command ship, in Yokosuka, Japan.

But little had prepared the captain, who assumed command of the Roosevelt in November, and his crew for what happened in March.

The carrier was steaming in the western Pacific, ready to respond to any emergency involving North Korea, an emboldened Chinese navy in the South China Sea or another emerging crisis. On March 24, two weeks after pulling out of a port call in Da Nang, Vietnam, two sailors aboard the Roosevelt tested positive for the coronavirus and were flown to Guam for treatment. Two days later, fearing the scourge of a fast-spreading virus aboard the aircraft carrier, with its cramped quarters for nearly 5,000 sailors, the ship steamed into a previously scheduled stop in Guam, which has a major Navy base and hospital.

Crozier appealed to his superiors for help and Navy officials began responding, but that apparently was not enough.

The tipping point was a four-page letter dated March 30, first reported by The San Francisco Chronicle on Tuesday, in which Crozier laid out the dire situation unfolding aboard the warship. He described what he said were the Navy’s failures to provide him with the proper resources to combat the virus by moving sailors off the vessel.

“We are not at war,” Crozier wrote. “Sailors do not need to die. If we do not act now, we are failing to properly take care of our most trusted asset — our sailors.”

Back at the Pentagon was a furious Modly, who had moved up from the Navy’s No. 2 job in November after Esper demanded the resignation of his boss over his handling of the case of a Navy SEAL commando who Trump had championed. The acting secretary told reporters last week that the Navy was rushing badly needed supplies to the Roosevelt well before the captain sent his letter to several officers in his chain of command over unclassified email.

Modly said the captain had become “overwhelmed” by the crisis, and said he removed him over a loss of confidence — and not retribution for the letter. Navy officials say they do not know who leaked the letter.

But in removing from command a captain who complained that the Navy was not doing enough to stop the spread of the coronavirus, the Navy opened itself to criticism that it was insufficiently concerned about the health of its sailors. Even though Modly stressed that he welcomed blunt assessments from subordinate officers, the removal of Crozier could have a chilling effect, several senior officers said.

Online, members of Crozier’s Naval Academy class of 1992 have rallied behind their classmate. Members of the class, most of whom have long since left the military, say their private Facebook group is overflowing with posts and comments in support of the captain. “The volume of posts was almost exponential,” one classmate, Mark Roppolo, said in a telephone interview.

Craig, who served with Crozier, said he sent his friend an email when the coronavirus started spreading in Asia this winter, wishing him well. He said he received a reply saying thank you, but had not spoken to him since he was relieved of command.

The two men were picked for the Navy’s demanding nuclear power school together in 2012, and Crozier clearly excelled.

“Nuclear power school is a crucible,” Craig said. “It’s not for the faint of heart. Chopper would stay late, study on weekends, until he could not only pass the tests but had a deep understanding of the concepts behind them.”

Craig said during his time aboard the Roosevelt in 2015, the command regularly drilled to react to battle damage, fire and other catastrophes, but never practiced what they would do if infectious disease ravaged the tight quarters of the ship.

“Chopper always had the best interests of his crew forefront. I’m sure that was the case here,” Craig said. “Chopper’s character is not prone to hasty or uneducated decision making. Anything he did was well thought out.”

Dan Goldenberg, another Naval Academy classmate of Crozier’s, said that “Modly is wrong no matter what.”

“He either made the wrong call in firing Crozier, or if he made the right call, he did a terrible job of explaining it — it’s just illogical,” said Goldenberg, a retired Navy captain and special assistant to four secretaries of the Navy.

On Sunday, friends say, Crozier found himself sitting alone in the “distinguished visitors quarters” on Naval Base Guam, battling a coronavirus infection, with an unknown next step in a nearly 30-year military career.

The evacuation Crozier sought for his crew is now in motion — one following the rousing send-off they gave him as he left the ship last week.

Hundreds of sailors who tested negative have been evacuated from the ship, which is being disinfected with a skeleton crew aboard to operate the nuclear reactors and other critical functions.

Quarantined sailors are not allowed to leave their rooms. Their meals are placed on the floor outside their hotel doors three times a day, and alcohol and outside food are not allowed in.

These sailors have not even been given keys to their rooms. If they try sneaking out, the doors will lock behind them and they will need a military police officer — one of whom is keeping watch on every floor — to let them back in. They do have access to Wi-Fi and cable television, and are allowed to smoke on their balconies, if their room has one.

Twice a day, hospital corpsmen — the Navy’s medics — visit each room and take the sailors’ temperatures, to watch for potential fevers.

It is not an ending any of Crozier’s friends and academy classmates envisioned.

“Can you imagine devoting your whole life to the Navy as Crozier has, and you make the right call to help your crew, and this happens?” Goldenberg said. “I’m floored.”

This article originally appeared in The New York Times.

WASHINGTON — For days, he fended off fears that the contagion would spread unchecked through his crew. Then last week, the captain of the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt, who had appealed to his superiors for help, was fired.

By Sunday, friends said, he had come down with the coronavirus himself.

The military has long adhered to a rigid chain of command and tolerated no dissent expressed outside official channels. Capt. Brett Crozier, the skipper of the aircraft carrier, knew he was up against those imperatives when he asked for help for nearly 5,000 crew members trapped in a petri dish of a warship in the middle of a pandemic.

But colleagues say the mistake that could cost Crozier his career was charging headlong into the Trump administration’s narrative that it had everything under control.

Pentagon officials said that although President Donald Trump never ordered Crozier dismissed, he was displeased with the captain’s actions and let the Navy know — a sentiment Trump made very public Saturday when he lashed out at the captain.

Even so, the Navy’s top brass clashed about what to do.

Adm. Michael M. Gilday, the chief of naval operations, privately urged against dismissal and argued that, per usual Navy procedures, an investigation into what went wrong on the Roosevelt should be allowed to play out. But the acting Navy secretary, Thomas B. Modly, overruled the Navy’s top admiral, saying Crozier had cracked under pressure.

Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper said Sunday that he supported Modly’s decision. The Washington Post first reported the differing opinions among Navy officials.

Navy officials acknowledged Sunday that tensions between Crozier and his immediate boss, Rear Adm. Stuart P. Baker, commander of a multiship task force including the Roosevelt, most likely complicated the Navy’s response to the viral outbreak and prompted the captain to send a four-page letter pleading for help. Officials said the letter, sent as an unclassified email, went only to other Navy personnel, but it leaked to the news media last week.

Indeed, the Navy hinted at such tensions in a statement Sunday that the findings of the investigation into what happened aboard the Roosevelt and the chain of command in the Pacific, including its “command climate,” would be submitted to Gilday on Monday.

According to those who have known Crozier for more than three decades, the picture Modly paints of their friend and classmate is not one they recognize.

Jeff Craig, who recently retired from the Navy after serving as a captain, including a tour as second-in-command of the Roosevelt, worked extensively with Crozier after attending the Naval Academy with him. Crozier became a helicopter pilot, Craig said, earning a nickname that he retained even after he transitioned to flying jets and ultimately to commanding a carrier: Chopper.

“Chopper is one of the best people I have ever known, both professionally and personally,” Craig, who now works with Amazon’s air cargo division, said in an interview Sunday.

On Sunday, Crozier was in quarantine in Guam, the American territory in the Pacific, dealing with a dry, raspy cough, say people who know him. At least 400 sailors from the Roosevelt who have tested negative for the virus are expected to be sent from the ship to hotels, joining 625 other sailors who have already tested negative.

It is not known when Crozier’s diagnosis was made, or whether the Navy was aware of his infection when he was removed from command, if the medical results came before his punishment.

Friends and colleagues say Crozier, 50, is at peace with a decision that most likely ended a career that vaulted him from the U.S. Naval Academy to the prestigious job as captain of one of the Navy’s 11 aircraft carriers.

Crozier, a native of Santa Rosa, California, started his career flying helicopters. He was then accepted for an exceptionally rare transfer to fly fixed-wing jet aircraft, eventually rising to command an F/A-18 Hornet fighter squadron. From there, he began climbing the nearly decadelong pipeline to command an aircraft carrier.

Crozier entered the Navy’s academically daunting nuclear power school to learn how to run the twin nuclear plants at the heart of a Nimitz-class carrier like the Theodore Roosevelt. Then, he served as the second-in-command of the carrier USS Ronald Reagan, and later as the top officer of the USS Blue Ridge, an amphibious command ship, in Yokosuka, Japan.

But little had prepared the captain, who assumed command of the Roosevelt in November, and his crew for what happened in March.

The carrier was steaming in the western Pacific, ready to respond to any emergency involving North Korea, an emboldened Chinese navy in the South China Sea or another emerging crisis. On March 24, two weeks after pulling out of a port call in Da Nang, Vietnam, two sailors aboard the Roosevelt tested positive for the coronavirus and were flown to Guam for treatment. Two days later, fearing the scourge of a fast-spreading virus aboard the aircraft carrier, with its cramped quarters for nearly 5,000 sailors, the ship steamed into a previously scheduled stop in Guam, which has a major Navy base and hospital.

Crozier appealed to his superiors for help and Navy officials began responding, but that apparently was not enough.

The tipping point was a four-page letter dated March 30, first reported by The San Francisco Chronicle on Tuesday, in which Crozier laid out the dire situation unfolding aboard the warship. He described what he said were the Navy’s failures to provide him with the proper resources to combat the virus by moving sailors off the vessel.

“We are not at war,” Crozier wrote. “Sailors do not need to die. If we do not act now, we are failing to properly take care of our most trusted asset — our sailors.”

Back at the Pentagon was a furious Modly, who had moved up from the Navy’s No. 2 job in November after Esper demanded the resignation of his boss over his handling of the case of a Navy SEAL commando who Trump had championed. The acting secretary told reporters last week that the Navy was rushing badly needed supplies to the Roosevelt well before the captain sent his letter to several officers in his chain of command over unclassified email.

Modly said the captain had become “overwhelmed” by the crisis, and said he removed him over a loss of confidence — and not retribution for the letter. Navy officials say they do not know who leaked the letter.

But in removing from command a captain who complained that the Navy was not doing enough to stop the spread of the coronavirus, the Navy opened itself to criticism that it was insufficiently concerned about the health of its sailors. Even though Modly stressed that he welcomed blunt assessments from subordinate officers, the removal of Crozier could have a chilling effect, several senior officers said.

Online, members of Crozier’s Naval Academy class of 1992 have rallied behind their classmate. Members of the class, most of whom have long since left the military, say their private Facebook group is overflowing with posts and comments in support of the captain. “The volume of posts was almost exponential,” one classmate, Mark Roppolo, said in a telephone interview.

Craig, who served with Crozier, said he sent his friend an email when the coronavirus started spreading in Asia this winter, wishing him well. He said he received a reply saying thank you, but had not spoken to him since he was relieved of command.

The two men were picked for the Navy’s demanding nuclear power school together in 2012, and Crozier clearly excelled.

“Nuclear power school is a crucible,” Craig said. “It’s not for the faint of heart. Chopper would stay late, study on weekends, until he could not only pass the tests but had a deep understanding of the concepts behind them.”

Craig said during his time aboard the Roosevelt in 2015, the command regularly drilled to react to battle damage, fire and other catastrophes, but never practiced what they would do if infectious disease ravaged the tight quarters of the ship.

“Chopper always had the best interests of his crew forefront. I’m sure that was the case here,” Craig said. “Chopper’s character is not prone to hasty or uneducated decision making. Anything he did was well thought out.”

Dan Goldenberg, another Naval Academy classmate of Crozier’s, said that “Modly is wrong no matter what.”

“He either made the wrong call in firing Crozier, or if he made the right call, he did a terrible job of explaining it — it’s just illogical,” said Goldenberg, a retired Navy captain and special assistant to four secretaries of the Navy.

On Sunday, friends say, Crozier found himself sitting alone in the “distinguished visitors quarters” on Naval Base Guam, battling a coronavirus infection, with an unknown next step in a nearly 30-year military career.

The evacuation Crozier sought for his crew is now in motion — one following the rousing send-off they gave him as he left the ship last week.

Hundreds of sailors who tested negative have been evacuated from the ship, which is being disinfected with a skeleton crew aboard to operate the nuclear reactors and other critical functions.

Quarantined sailors are not allowed to leave their rooms. Their meals are placed on the floor outside their hotel doors three times a day, and alcohol and outside food are not allowed in.

These sailors have not even been given keys to their rooms. If they try sneaking out, the doors will lock behind them and they will need a military police officer — one of whom is keeping watch on every floor — to let them back in. They do have access to Wi-Fi and cable television, and are allowed to smoke on their balconies, if their room has one.

Twice a day, hospital corpsmen — the Navy’s medics — visit each room and take the sailors’ temperatures, to watch for potential fevers.

It is not an ending any of Crozier’s friends and academy classmates envisioned.

“Can you imagine devoting your whole life to the Navy as Crozier has, and you make the right call to help your crew, and this happens?” Goldenberg said. “I’m floored.”

This article originally appeared in The New York Times.
Having survived nuclear power school after the academy I can tell you it was the hardest most demanding experience I ever had.

I thought it was telling that the CNO did not want to relieve him of command. Not surprising, but telling.
I agree. It will really interesting if the whole story ever comes out. The relationship between him and the flag officer must have been horrible.

Why would the acting Navy secretary do this over the intercom of the ship?

Acting Navy secretary blasts ousted aircraft carrier captain as 'stupid' in address to ship's crew

(CNN)The Acting Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly blasted the now ousted commander of the USS Theodore Roosevelt as "stupid" in an address to the ship's crew Monday morning, in remarks obtained by CNN.

Modly told the crew that their former commander, Capt. Brett Crozier, was either "too naive or too stupid" to be in command or that he intentionally leaked to the media a memo in which he warned about coronavirus spreading aboard the aircraft carrier and urged action to save his sailors.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/06/politics/uss-tr-crozier-modly/index.html

Acting Navy secretary blasts ousted aircraft carrier captain as 'stupid' in address to ship's crew

(CNN)The Acting Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly blasted the now ousted commander of the USS Theodore Roosevelt as "stupid" in an address to the ship's crew Monday morning, in remarks obtained by CNN.

Modly told the crew that their former commander, Capt. Brett Crozier, was either "too naive or too stupid" to be in command or that he intentionally leaked to the media a memo in which he warned about coronavirus spreading aboard the aircraft carrier and urged action to save his sailors.

He was embarrassed...plain and simple. I doubt he won too many points doing it, but it felt good for him I guess.

I learned an important leadership lesson in AIT. I was class leader. My class was abandoned by our drill sergeant - he left us alone in a classroom for a study hall. We got to the point where the mess hall was going to close in 10 minutes. I had to make a decision. I went to the Captain, filled her in on the situation and got permission to lead my class to dinner. When we got back, the drill sergeant was pissed. I got smoked for good 30 minutes in the lobby. When my classmates found out why, they all took good care of me from then on. When it came graduation time the class voted to bypass the tradition of giving the drill sergeant a gift. He was pissed about that too and let me know about it.

What I learned? Take care of your people and they will take care of you. If this captain was doing exactly this as the reason he wrote and sent the memo, he won’t have any trouble sleeping based on that decision. Good for him.

because he's an asshole

Reactions: RGWhirly
One thing I know for sure is that every ship's crew knows whether or not they have a good Captain.

And what some suit in Washington thinks has no bearing on that.

Reactions: KnightSlayer
So I’m curious what’s everyone’s position was on the quarantined cruise ships over the past 6 weeks at various ports of call with the sick on board and forced to remain on board sick or not?

Please see my question above about you position on the cruise ship passengers that were quarantined on board against their will?
totally unrelated- but nobody should be put in that position, obviously

Sailors reportedly 'livid' with acting Navy secretary after he blasts captain who expressed coronavirus concerns

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sailors-...expressed-coronavirus-concerns-221108530.html
That was a total chicken $h!t move to be honest. Just adding fuel to the fire and kind of shows the character he has. No reason to call him stupid to his crew at this moment in time. Better just to not say a word and let the new CO try and squash this or make it right with the crew. How many people are at 20 on that ship and dropping their papers after this stunt. It's kind of hard to be loyal at that point when you see stuff like this go down.

Reactions: step.eng69
Not unrelated...both groups at sea, all wanted to get off...multiple Gov’ts said NO...everyone went to the press for relief of their situation. The biggest difference is the folks that got stuck in the Petri dish for a full 14 days were initially on board by choice for vacation, while the sailors are conscripted to be on board, remain on board, and follow orders without question. It appears that by openly emailing the letter to so many people, that the goal was to make this a public issue rather than to shelter in place and suck it up like essentially everyone else has had to. In the military choosing to follow or not to follow orders has consequences, it’s also accepted that following those order may result in paying the ultimate price.

totally unrelated- but nobody should be put in that position, obviously

Reactions: m48tank
Not unrelated...both groups at sea, all wanted to get off...multiple Gov’ts said NO...everyone went to the press for relief of their situation. The biggest difference is the folks that got stuck in the Petri dish for a full 14 days were initially on board by choice for vacation, while the sailors are conscripted to be on board, remain on board, and follow orders without question. It appears that by openly emailing the letter to so many people, that the goal was to make this a public issue rather than to shelter in place and suck it up like essentially everyone else has had to. In the military choosing to follow or not to follow orders has consequences, it’s also accepted that following those order may result in paying the ultimate price.
you are entitled to your opinion- I'm entitled to mine

what type of ship did you serve on, btw?

Reactions: jwarigaku
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT