ADVERTISEMENT

Impact of Rule Changes on Scoring

I wonder if pin rate decreased with the increased ease in reaching a tech fall.
The number of pins seemed to stay around the same. If the number of matches was around the same as well then the % of matches ending by pin was about the same. On the other hand if you want to take a look at the number of pins per mins wrestled please see the discussion above.

Maybe the author of the article should have looked at the toss out the brick rate for 2 pt vs 3 pt takedowns. Scores pile up faster with 3 pt takedowns, hence motivating guys like Manning to attempt to slow down matches that are getting out of control.

I'm working on a database for NCAA tournament scoring that I will be posting soon after I get some formulas worked out. Anyway, here's some early results regarding the 3 point takedown impact. From 2007 to 2023, the average MDs, TFs and Falls for the tournament compared to 2024 are as follows:
MDs 98 vs 112
TFs 17 vs 55
Falls 68 vs 51

As expected, the # of MDs and TFs went up. The decrease in falls is interesting but also makes sense in that TFs are now easier to get.

I will use last year's NCAA match between Levi Haines and Teague Travis of Oklahoma State as an example of why I enjoy the three point takedown. See the 2024 NCAA's - Day 1 thread for the match. Levi was able to gain the TF 19-4 by winning the takedown battle 6-0 and only allowing intentional escapes. Under the old scoring system Levi would have had to win the TD battle 12-0 for the TF. In this case I think Levi deserved the TF even without getting any back points. The three point takedown also made the match more exciting as it encouraged Levi to keep pushing the pace deep into the third period to gain the TF.

Last edited:
I will use last year's NCAA match between Levi Haines and Teague Travis of Oklahoma State as an example of why I enjoy the three point takedown. See the 2024 NCAA's - Day 1 thread for the match. Levi was able to gain the TF 19-4 by winning the takedown battle 6-0 and only allowing intentional escapes. Under the old scoring system Levi would have had to win the TD battle 12-0 for the TF. In this case I think Levi deserved the TF even without getting any back points. The three point takedown also made the match more exciting as it encouraged Levi to keep pushing the pace deep into the third quarter to gain the TF.
I understand your POV but I'd like there to be technical prowess in more than one position in order to receive a technical fall. I guess I'm old school.

I will use last year's NCAA match between Levi Haines and Teague Travis of Oklahoma State as an example of why I enjoy the three point takedown. See the 2024 NCAA's - Day 1 thread for the match. Levi was able to gain the TF 19-4 by winning the takedown battle 6-0 and only allowing intentional escapes. Under the old scoring system Levi would have had to win the TD battle 12-0 for the TF. In this case I think Levi deserved the TF even without getting any back points. The three point takedown also made the match more exciting as it encouraged Levi to keep pushing the pace deep into the third quarter to gain the TF.
What else is exciting is when he gets tired of taking him down and works a bit harder to turn him.

Levi took bottom in the 2nd and escaped in 8 sec. Does that count as prowess in more than one position?
Levi also rode out the first (1:45) and second periods :)25) without allowing Travis an additional escape in either. Considering the last TD came with 19 seconds remaining, this was integral to securing the TF.

How about now?

I was rather shocked when only half of GIA blamed losing to us by 100 plus, on the 3 point takedown, but was not surprised at all to see the other 50 percent of them blame it on other various wrestlers throwing matches against PSU guys 😂
LOL we could give iowa 5 points for a TD and PSU 3 POINTS FOR TAKEDOWN,IOWA WOULD STILL LOSE SINCE THEY DONT LIKE TO TAKE PEOPLE DOWN!!

I'm new school but if you take someone down 6 times to 0 and only cut them while also controlling them on top for almost 4 minutes, that is technical superiority
If they are going to score riding time, which I don’t like.

You know, you get the takedown and if no attempt to turn, let’em go back at neutral.

Anyway, I think you should get 1 pt for more than a minute and another 1 for 2+ and another 1 for 3+

No. IMO a technical fall should involve a turning move
I can appreciate your position, but I personally enjoy seeing wrestlers dominate on their feet. Also, I find some back points, for instance from a from a "cheap tilt", well, kinda' cheap : ) That being said, I loved watching Zain's mastery of the top position; so brutal and technically sound. David Taylor was also a beast in the top position, but his sitting on his opponents' hips waiting for them to get off their bellies so he could hit a tilt was not as exciting to watch as Zain's top game.

If they are going to score riding time, which I don’t like.

You know, you get the takedown and if no attempt to turn, let’em go back at neutral.

Anyway, I think you should get 1 pt for more than a minute and another 1 for 2+ and another 1 for 3+
Or as Cael says it, the bottom man should figure out how to get out himself if the top man wants to keep him down even without attempting a turn

I understand your POV but I'd like there to be technical prowess in more than one position in order to receive a technical fall. I guess I'm old school.
Yeah that’s kind of where I’m at.

Not that I don’t enjoy insane tactical and technical prowess in one position, or don’t respect it. But we have that kind of thing already, Freestyle.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT