ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting stats

bdgan

May 29, 2008
I don't think we know much about this team because we've played very weak opponents.

PSU hasn't played a top 100 defense yet. WVa 102nd, BGSU 110th. KS 133rd. So how good is the offense?
PSU hasn't played a top 50 offense yet. WVa 56th, BGSU 74th, KS 133rd. So how good is the defense?

Illinois is 87th on offense (379 yds per game) and 32nd on defense (292 yds per game). PSU should be able to handle Illinois at home but it will be a good test. PSU scored 34 pts against both WVa and BGSU. Points will likely be more difficult to come by against Illinois. I'm thinking something like 27-20.

USC is 30th on offense (457 yds per game) and 47th on defense (311 yds per game). Those are reasonably impressive numbers since they've played both LSU & Michigan.

Speaking of weak schedules.... We know from the Peach Bowl how good Ole Miss is with Jaxson Dart but look at their schedule and results.

Furman 76-0
Middle Tenn 52-3
Wake Forrest 40-6
Ga Southern 52-13

With this schedule Ole Miss is averaging 671 yds of offense per game. That's close to PSU's all time record vs Kent State over 4 games. Wow!

Last edited:
I don't think we know much about this team because we've played very weak opponents.

PSU hasn't played a top 100 defense yet. WVa 102nd, BGSU 110th. KS 133rd. So how good is the offense?
PSU hasn't played a top 50 offense yet. WVa 56th, BGSU 74th, KS 133rd. So how good is the defense?

Illinois is 87th on offense (379 yds per game) and 32nd on defense (292 yds per game). PSU should be able to handle Illinois at home but it will be a good test.

USC is 30th on offense (457 yds per game) and 47th on defense (311 yds per game). Those are reasonably impressive numbers since they've played both LSU & Michigan.

Speaking of weak schedules.... We know from the Peach Bowl how good Ole Miss is with Jaxson Dart but look at their schedule and results.

Furman 76-0
Middle Tenn 52-3
Wake Forrest 40-6
Ga Southern 52-13

With this schedule Ole Miss is averaging 671 yds of offense per game. That's close to PSU's all time record vs Kent State over 4 games. Wow!
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Ole Miss won the national championship this year.

I think we have been tinkering A LOT with the offense. More than usual. Not sure why I think that. Just a hunch.

I think we have been tinkering A LOT with the offense. More than usual. Not sure why I think that. Just a hunch.
Agree. the exception being BGSU but we could have really piled up points against WVU and Kent. And as we know, BGSU is a pretty darn good team.

Agree. the exception being BGSU but we could have really piled up points against WVU and Kent. And as we know, BGSU is a pretty darn good team.
Nebraska scored 24 points against Illinois with 297 yds passing, 48 yds rushing. I think Raiola and Nebraska's pass offense is as good as PSU's pass offense right now but our running game is stronger.

I wouldn't be surprised to see PSU finish with 270 yds passing and 120 yds rushing in this game.

Nebraska scored 24 points against Illinois with 297 yds passing, 48 yds rushing. I think Raiola and Nebraska's pass offense is as good as PSU's pass offense right now but our running game is stronger.

I wouldn't be surprised to see PSU finish with 270 yds passing and 120 yds rushing in this game.
I don't agree with that at all. Railola totally fell apart in the 4th quarter and OT. Part of the problem was that ILL totally shut down NE's run game so when NE had to run the clock out they couldn't. Then in OT when they had to pass, ILL blitzed the crap out of them and Raiola fell apart under the pressure. I think PSU's QB is much better. And don't forget that ILL's leading WR is iffy after getting banged up late against NEB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT