ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting tidbit from CJF's radio show tonight....

I'm cautiously encouraged. I'll be ecstatic if he boards a plane from Athens, GA and mysteriously appears in State College, PA.

I figured he was in State College. When it said he addressed the team, I assumed it was in person.

I know Mac's father unfortunately passed away only days after our 2013 win over Wisconsin.

Definitely would welcome Mac back to the PSU family. He was great in his 2 years here. Great move by O'Brien to get him here.

OL situation reminds me of a little quip made by Lee Corso. As a young coach I was attending a clinic in Atlantic City and Corso, a clown even then was a clinician. I recall he said something like "the good news is that we have 27 lettermen returning from our 2-9 team. The bad news is we have 27 lettermen returning from a 2-9 team." If I recall correctly Indiana went 1-10 the following season.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
As I said in the off season, we lost our two best lineman from last year... how would anyone "expect" the OL to be better. It's one thing to hope, but for those PSU fans that were somehow convinced that Coach Hand, through some miraculous works of alchemy, was able to turn a few inexperienced, repurposed, and unathletic linemen into a reasonable facsimile of a Big Ten caliber offensive line. There was absolutely no evidence to support this happening. Now, I hope that the OL is better than the looked against Temple, and they could end up being somewhere above the worst OL in the Power Five conferences.

Of course, CJF is bringing in more/better talent, and getting the OL to execute at the level we expect in the years to come will not take miracles.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
As I said in the off season, we lost our two best lineman from last year... how would anyone "expect" the OL to be better. It's one thing to hope, but for those PSU fans that were somehow convinced that Coach Hand, through some miraculous works of alchemy, was able to turn a few inexperienced, repurposed, and unathletic linemen into a reasonable facsimile of a Big Ten caliber offensive line. There was absolutely no evidence to support this happening. Now, I hope that the OL is better than the looked against Temple, and they could end up being somewhere above the worst OL in the Power Five conferences.

Of course, CJF is bringing in more/better talent, and getting the OL to execute at the level we expect in the years to come will not take miracles.

That's true as far as it goes. But Dieffenbach contributed very little last year and Smith seemingly played at about 75%. I think it was perfectly reasonable to believe that the experience the returning linemen got from last year combined with a year in the weight room and just maturing physically would make a marked difference in the overall performance of the OL compared to last year. Obviously, that didn't work out on Saturday. But that doesn't mean that believing the OL would be better meant that you were counting on Hand to perform miracles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT