ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa related discussions, news, etc. for 2024-25

I agree he can come off a bit aloof at times, but I don't think ungrateful is the right descriptor. I've never heard him denigrate anyone but himself, and he regularly speaks highly of his opponents and teammates. On the standing O, he made a self-deprecating comment that maybe people shouldn't stand for a runner-up finish, but then he went on to say it was humbling and "I love that the Hawkeye fan base still believes in me and loves me and whatnot. . . It was pretty awesome, and I appreciate that Iowa brings me back for things like that. It's an honor."

He is definitely very hard on himself, too hard if you ask me. But I've met him multiple times and seen him in practice and competition a lot. He is probably still a bit uncomfortable speaking publicly, but he is as friendly as can be to fans, and he is typically working hard to help his teammates improve, joking around with them, etc.

Obviously our biases lie at opposite ends of the spectrum, but I truly think you'd like the guy if you met him. Really hope he decides to coach when his competitive career is done.
That is good to hear, because I too do not get a very good feel from him in interviews. Gable was not very good in interviews either though and Cael isn't the greatest.

Reactions: The-Dude-Abides
Cael isn't the greatest.
giphy.gif

(don't know why it's asking that. Click on link and it takes you to article)

I just came across this fascinating expose on Bob Nicolls from 2022. It was published by Bloomberg, and the writers received journalism awards for the piece. His favored eviction attorney, Matthew Chase, is a complete piece of work. Here he is in his own words:

“They shouldn’t have signed a f------ contract for a thousand-dollar-a-month unit for a year if they're too f------ stupid to sign, to know anything, to read the news, to have any idea about their rights,” Chase said.

“They were literate and smart enough and wise enough to sign a contract,” Chase added, “but now they're too ignorant, illiterate and stupid to know the law sufficiently that we have to give them all their defenses? F--- that!”

He said of one tenant: “You're sick because you're morbidly obese. None of that has anything to do with a contract you signed to pay rent, and frankly — don't care. Don't care anymore. And my clients, the landlords, no longer care.”

“We evict grandparents who are poor, evict cancer-stricken people who are attending chemo. It’s sad,” Chase said on his YouTube channel after the first CARES Act eviction moratorium took effect. “What’s sadder is that somebody who purchases property for hundreds of thousands of dollars is given the finger by the law.”

I hope everyone finds the time to read about the guy who has taken over the Iowa program. There is nothing he won't do if his lead attorney says that evicting people on chemo is better for the bottom line. WOW.

I just came across this fascinating expose on Bob Nicolls from 2022. It was published by Bloomberg, and the writers received journalism awards for the piece. His favored eviction attorney, Matthew Chase, is a complete piece of work. Here he is in his own words:

“They shouldn’t have signed a f------ contract for a thousand-dollar-a-month unit for a year if they're too f------ stupid to sign, to know anything, to read the news, to have any idea about their rights,” Chase said.

“They were literate and smart enough and wise enough to sign a contract,” Chase added, “but now they're too ignorant, illiterate and stupid to know the law sufficiently that we have to give them all their defenses? F--- that!”

He said of one tenant: “You're sick because you're morbidly obese. None of that has anything to do with a contract you signed to pay rent, and frankly — don't care. Don't care anymore. And my clients, the landlords, no longer care.”

“We evict grandparents who are poor, evict cancer-stricken people who are attending chemo. It’s sad,” Chase said on his YouTube channel after the first CARES Act eviction moratorium took effect. “What’s sadder is that somebody who purchases property for hundreds of thousands of dollars is given the finger by the law.”

I hope everyone finds the time to read about the guy who has taken over the Iowa program. There is nothing he won't do if his lead attorney says that evicting people on chemo is better for the bottom line. WOW.
Thanks for sharing....very interesting. I have mixed feelings on this. As much as I sympathize with the real sad cases mentioned, landlords need protections too. There are a lot of deadbeat renters who don't have a hardship and game the system. Because those folks abuse the system it makes it harder for landlords to show mercy on those that truly need it. As I write this I guess they could be more selective in how they apply their policies, e.g. throwing out a chemo patient or an elderly person. That's the problem with a company as large as Monarch no personal touch or sensitivity in certain cases.

For all the needed programs related to housing and small business that were instituted by the government during the pandemic I'm shocked of how many cases of fraud I read about.....still popping up to this day. Again, it's a shame so many took advantage of well meaning aid that in the end hurt the people who really needed it.

A fanbase that thinks a guy with 6 career losses and only three appearances in the NCAA finals was the greatest college wrestler ever is going on and on about how PSU wrestling fans don’t know anything about wrestling (on their board).

That board is just as trashy now as it was before the new and improved mods came in, there is less politics and religion but still the same whinny dump posts as before except you can tell turk thinks he's on top of that mountain kicking stones down on everyo e else.

By the way wtf takes so long to have posting rights over there it's been a while and I can post here and not there.

Obviously not this name.

Also, with all the clearing out of posters that bored is as dead as the buckeye board.

Here's the original story. It's...not a great picture.

https://www.bloomberg DOT com/graphics/2022-evictions-monarch-investment-rental-properties

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennstate1985
Thanks for sharing....very interesting. I have mixed feelings on this. As much as I sympathize with the real sad cases mentioned, landlords need protections too. There are a lot of deadbeat renters who don't have a hardship and game the system. Because those folks abuse the system it makes it harder for landlords to show mercy on those that truly need it. As I write this I guess they could be more selective in how they apply their policies, e.g. throwing out a chemo patient or an elderly person. That's the problem with a company as large as Monarch no personal touch or sensitivity in certain cases.

For all the needed programs related to housing and small business that were instituted by the government during the pandemic I'm shocked of how many cases of fraud I read about.....still popping up to this day. Again, it's a shame so many took advantage of well meaning aid that in the end hurt the people who really needed it.
Not defending that idiot by any stretch...
I think anyone that owns rental properties trying to make a few extra bucks get hardened by the shit stains that abuse their properties and them by not paying etc...

Not defending that idiot by any stretch...
I think anyone that owns rental properties trying to make a few extra bucks get hardened by the shit stains that abuse their properties and them by not paying etc...
... but evicting someone on chemo? I understand his property rights but a smidge of humanity should be sprinkled in there as well. Why not offer 50% rent payments while in chemo, or something that shows you're not only about money. Bob's assets are approaching $1.5B. He could afford to be a little nicer to those in real need. Not for those who simply lost a job, but those who have already been kicked to the ground and literally fighting for their very lives.

Thats why I said I'm not defending that idiot..
Disclaimers used to mean something...
How could someone possibly defend him or someone else like him?

Reactions: Pennstate1985
My ban was to be lifted on the 24 of September, why am I still banned over there. Not complaining but on slow days it gives me something to do?

ASU coach Lee Pritts salty:

GableBeer

HB MVP​

Lee Pritts commented on his post saying “Iowa wrestling! U ain’t cheating U ain’t trying!”
FYI - I saw the bad side of Pritts at the Pac 12 championships a few years ago. There was a really close match between Boise State and ASU wrestlers that went right down to the last fraction of a second. I don't remember who won, but Pritts walked towards the Boise State coach and really got in his face about the final call by the ref. The Boise State coach came very close to decking him.

Saw Iowa certs were up.

Rumors of Brands having his eye on 174 seems to be supported. Definitely a crowded weight. I also wonder if Angelo will challenge at 184 if Nelson isn’t there.

Kale Peterson put himself in 125 range, has this been discussed before? Certainly a better option than Cruz, but I thought he was already a good sized 133, so who knows how he’d look down there. Have the feeling him and Block are going to look sickly.

Reactions: wrestlingfan22
Saw Iowa certs were up.

Rumors of Brands having his eye on 174 seems to be supported. Definitely a crowded weight. I also wonder if Angelo will challenge at 184 if Nelson isn’t there.

Kale Peterson put himself in 125 range, has this been discussed before? Certainly a better option than Cruz, but I thought he was already a good sized 133, so who knows how he’d look down there. Have the feeling him and Block are going to look sickly.
GIA is convinced that Peterson is their 125, so this isn't huge news. Having him at 125 and Block at 141 certainly helps their lineup arithmetic, but I agree, those are going to be some steep cuts. Block was already built like Jack Skellington two years ago at 141. He's like 6' tall.

Nelson is wasting his time coming back if he's looking to be their third string 174. LOL.

Got a chuckle out of this on the Iowa football board:

HawkNorth

HB All-State​

One of the announcers before the game stated that Ohio State spent $20 million doll ars buying talent in the off season. Congratulations Buckeye fans. You must be very proud.
LOL I believe I read Tom say iowa had all the money they need can you tell us how much they spend??I am guessing no!!

If you watch Kales match against bouzakis last year he was pretty small compared to Nic. Block has allegedly been at 150 all summer and he’s always been lanky. I don’t think the cuts will be super hard for them.

Got a chuckle out of this on the Iowa football board:

HawkNorth

HB All-State​

One of the announcers before the game stated that Ohio State spent $20 million dollars buying talent in the off season. Congratulations Buckeye fans. You must be very proud.
Iowa was buying talent also, Kirk Ferentz literally got in trouble for it.

It was for Cade McNamara

KcpQaef.png

Was about to say Nelson will go whichever weight he feels gives him the best shot at a Natty and he’ll probably have full support in doing that, but then I remembered he’s choosing between wrestling Levi and O’Toole or Carter and Keck 😅 so he should do what’s best for team.
The first step in his "best shot at a natty" is getting into the lineup at all, which he isn't going to do at 174 for them.

Reactions: Ski
Interesting, I don't think either of the other two can beat Nelson.
I would be surprised if either one can't. Especially Gabe. He's got to be one of their hammers. Nelson is a fringe AA candidate who likely peaked at 5 in 23. That's still pretty damn good in general to be a top 10-ish wrestler in the country, so I don't want to sound like I'm slamming him too hard, but PK and Gabe were both brought in to contend for titles, not AAs.

I would be surprised if either one can't. Especially Gabe. He's got to be one of their hammers. Nelson is a fringe AA candidate who likely peaked at 5 in 23. That's still pretty damn good in general to be a top 10-ish wrestler in the country, so I don't want to sound like I'm slamming him too hard, but PK and Gabe were both brought in to contend for titles, not AAs.
PK might have been brought in to contend for titles, but he hasn't even finished on the podium yet. From what I can see, Gabe is basically a smaller version of Nelson.

Nelson big brothers both of these guys, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Imagine Kennedy will portal after this season, Caliendo and Arnold both are there still.

I'm actually shocked he stayed this season but guessing he hasn't graduated yet. For his hype out of HS, him being 0/2 for AAing and then not starting his 3rd year is extremely shocking.

The wild thing is he is extremely offensive, when he is on, he is quite fun to watch and racks up takedowns at warp speed.

Brought in to contend and contending are two very different things. Especially for PK, he should be thrilled with a 5th place at nationals. I think Nelson beats both in the room.

Reactions: Nitlion1986
Imagine Kennedy will portal after this season, Caliendo and Arnold both are there still.

I'm actually shocked he stayed this season but guessing he hasn't graduated yet. For his hype out of HS, him being 0/2 for AAing and then not starting his 3rd year is extremely shocking.

The wild thing is he is extremely offensive, when he is on, he is quite fun to watch and racks up takedowns at warp speed.
His brother committed to Iowa right around the same time they brought in Caliendo and squeezed him from the lineup. LOL.

Well Kennedy has proven he isn't winning any titles and to date a single AA would be a career peak. As far as Arnold goes, until proven otherwise, a shorter and stronger Kennedy.
Nelson has had at least that one post-season success back in pre wagering band camp.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT