ADVERTISEMENT

Is this our best OL since '94?

PSUWrestlingFanSince2011

Mar 22, 2022
I was beyond impressed on Saturday with our OL on Saturday. Got me thinking the last time our OL was this good.

The '99 team had a crazy DL but the OL wasn't amazing if I recall correctly.

2005 & 2008 were fine but not as dominant as these guys.

2016? Pretty good but no move guys several yards off the ball like this team.

What say you?

Reactions: Parkland Fan
I was beyond impressed on Saturday with our OL on Saturday. Got me thinking the last time our OL was this good.

What say you?
Too early to tell, but I am hopeful. I am impressed with the depth and the youth.

They played quite well, better than I expected.

But it is the scheme by Coach K ghost is the big reason. No RPO. Aggressive play calls. Lots of trapping and pulling.

If they dominate against Buckeyes……😻

What say you?
I say it's too early to tell

Based on the body of work so far, I’d say yes, but there’s a lot of football left to be played. Let’s wait and see. I think coach Trautwein deserves a ton of credit for greatly improving both the recruiting and development for the O line.

When the running game is dominant you have to give credit to the oline. And we all know that even with Barkley the oline wasn't super, but instead Barkley got lots of yards on his own.

For the oline to get recognition the team also needs excellent RB's.

When think back to when I remember a DOMINANT running game. And dominant is really key. PSU has had lots of running backs that have excelled, put up numbers. But for example, even some of the very best PSU teams didn't have dominant running games. The 1986 national champions ran well and passed when they needed to, but Dozier didn't dominate.

So I look at teams like when LJ Jr ran at will. Sure he was a dominant RB. But he was afforded consistent running lanes. When Enis dominated teams his last year. When he had the lanes to embarass USC in the early season game.

So for me to believe the 2024 oline is one of the elite PSU olines I want to see them dominate against a very good team. Against a top 10 team. Maybe the only opportunity to do that is against oh-high-ya during this regular season. If PSU would get to the B10 championship game against Oregon or UM that might be another opportunity. And then if PSU would make the playoff.

Although the USC game will be an opportunity to shine for the oline, it doesn't seem that the USC defense is really good enough that if PSU runs very well against it that that would be a premier accomplishment. And I'm putting Illinois into that category as well.

Obviously pass protection is another part of it. Allar didn't really have time to sit back there and pick apart Illinois. Allar was under pressure when he under threw the deep ball, throwing off his back foot as he sort of pulled back from the rush. So the pass protection really needs to get shored up somewhat. But most coaches would love to just line up and run the ball down an opponents throat if they could do it, so to me being dominant even in today's wide open offenses is still about a dominant running game that can take a team to dominant running attacks against the best defenses. Like what Michigan did last season, but without knowing what plays and calls the other team was making by cheating.

JMO

Last edited:
When the running game is dominant you have to give credit to the oline. And we all know that even with Barkley the oline wasn't super, but instead Barkley got lots of yards on his own.

For the oline to get recognition the team also needs excellent RB's.

When think back to when I remember a DOMINANT running game. And dominant is really key. PSU has had lots of running back that have excelled, put up numbers. But for example, even some of the very best PSU teams didn't have dominant running games. The 1986 national champions ran well and passed when they needed to, but Dozier didn't dominate.

So I look at teams like when LJ Jr ran at will. Sure he was a dominant RB. But he was afforded consistent running lanes. When Enis dominated teams his last year. When he had the lanes to embarass USC in the early season game.

So for me to believe the 2024 oline is one of the elite PSU olines I want to see them dominate against a very good team. Against a top 10 team. Maybe the only opportunity to do that is against oh-high-ya during this regular season. If PSU would get to the B10 championship game against Oregon or UM that might be another opportunity. And then if PSU would make the playoff.

Although the USC game will be an opportunity to shine for the oline, it doesn't seem that the USC defense is really good enough that if PSU runs very well against it that that would be a premier accomplishment. And I'm putting Illinois into that category as well.

Obviously pass protection is another part of it. Allar didn't really have time to sit back there and pick apart Illinois. Allar was under pressure when he under threw the deep ball, throwing off his back foot as he sort of pulled back from the rush. So the pass protection really needs to get shored up somewhat. But most coaches would love to just line up and run the ball down an opponents throat if they could do it, so to me being dominant even in today's wide open offenses is still about a dominant running game that can take a team to dominant running attacks against the best defenses. Like what Michigan did last season, but without knowing what plays and calls the other team was making by cheating.

JMO
I was there in 2002 vs Auburn. Our OL got destroyed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT