ADVERTISEMENT

Is Winston the top Safety in college football?

EdwardoCarrachio

Dec 15, 2023
Someone thinks so

442513359-410173391987413-1648319683393436047-n.jpg

Very premature. Winston hasn't even been a true 1st string starter yet for us having shared time with Reed, Ellis, and Wheatley. He does have the size needed to project well, but his draft status will hinge a lot on his 40 time.

Good to see him on the list for somebody though. Unsure how Starks and the Iowa kid aren't 1-2 as they were basically starters by the end of their 1st years. But that's just me spitballing.

Reactions: bison13
Can't remember exactly when the change was made, but the move by PSU to recruit taller, athletic Safety's is paying off for PSU. Winston, Wheatley. Reed is also pretty stout. Nelson and Lane, as well as Toure. also seem to bring size and athleticism to the position.

Years ago PSU generally fielded smaller DB's who just played tough. Was it just the hiring of Poindexter that brought PSU's secondary more in line with bigger athletic DB's towards what oh-high-ya consistently has?

Reactions: bison13
That doesn't mean top safety in college football. It means top projected draft pick among safeties. Caleb Downs, Dillon Thieneman, Tyler Nubin, and others are all sophomores. Starks and Downs are widely considered the top two safeties in the country. I think Winston can be a good one, but he's not there yet.

Very premature. Winston hasn't even been a true 1st string starter yet for us having shared time with Reed, Ellis, and Wheatley. He does have the size needed to project well, but his draft status will hinge a lot on his 40 time.

Good to see him on the list for somebody though. Unsure how Starks and the Iowa kid aren't 1-2 as they were basically starters by the end of their 1st years. But that's just me spitballing.

Winston had more tackles than reed and more than Ellis and Wheatley combined.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT