ADVERTISEMENT

It's tOSU week

The match I look forward to the most will be Nick Lee vs Pletcher!

I would propose that McKee was the perfect tuneup for a match vs Pletcher.

Both are dangerous, experienced and built stockier stronger than Nick with more power. Seeing Nick get tossed to his back then getting pissed and seeking quick revenge reminds me of both Zain and Nolf, who would often dole out some punishment after a situation like that. Zero sense of fear or the desire to slow things down after three scare.

Nick is more athletic and faster than Pletcher with a deeper gas tank, and certainly strong enough. I feel pretty confident about a 3-4 point decision

I would propose that McKee was the perfect tuneup for a match vs Pletcher.

Both are dangerous, experienced and built stockier stronger than Nick with more power. Seeing Nick get tossed to his back then getting pissed and seeking quick revenge reminds me of both Zain and Nolf, who would often dole out some punishment after a situation like that. Zero sense of fear or the desire to slow things down after three scare.

Nick is more athletic and faster than Pletcher with a deeper gas tank, and certainly strong enough. I feel pretty confident about a 3-4 point decision
In a vacuum, yes. But in practice, no.

McKee has fallen in love with the freestyle head pinch. Pletcher is a much more conventional wrestler and will not attempt that. Nick should be prepared for a big dose of throw-by attempts with an occasional shot.

Unlike Micah, Rocky will not have the luxury of an Avoid Aaron Wrestle-Off.

Didn't he go 157 in 2018 to avoid Zain only to find out Nolf was just as brutal? I remember a lot of speculation that Micah would be a nice matchup for Nolf because Nolf didn't have the reputation of being a top hammer like Zain ... turns out, he knows how to turn people also. There was no way 157 was ever his ideal weight IMO.

McKee has fallen in love with the freestyle head pinch. Pletcher is a much more conventional wrestler and will not attempt that. Nick should be prepared for a big dose of throw-by attempts with an occasional shot.
I want to see Nick ride home like a mule and push him to break. Face mash and all lol

Didn't he go 157 in 2018 to avoid Zain only to find out Nolf was just as brutal? I remember a lot of speculation that Micah would be a nice matchup for Nolf because Nolf didn't have the reputation of being a top hammer like Zain ... turns out, he knows how to turn people also. There was no way 157 was ever his ideal weight IMO.
He was always going 157 that year, to make room for both McKenna and Hayes at 141-149. It was McKenna who won the Avoid Zain Wrestle-Off.

The next year Micah won the Avoid Jason Wrestle-Off over Hayes and dropped back down to 149.

Poor Hayes got pushed up to 149 to face Zain, then pushed up to 157 to face Jason, and then as a SR they put Pletcher at his real weight. Cruel and unusual punishment.

He was always going 157 that year, to make room for both McKenna and Hayes at 141-149. It was McKenna who won the Avoid Zain Wrestle-Off.

The next year Micah won the Avoid Jason Wrestle-Off over Hayes and dropped back down to 149.

Poor Hayes got pushed up to 149 to face Zain, then pushed up to 157 to face Jason, and then as a SR they put Pletcher at his real weight. Cruel and unusual punishment.

Ah you're right, NATO I know went back down to the different 125 cut also (and he wrestled on a torn ACL)

Reactions: diggerpup
How good is this latest Jordan brother?
I see he beat Venz !
AB vs Jordan ??

Webster, who Aaron just majored, beat Jordan in SV. FWIW

Rocky was not as highly ranked coming out of high school. Most had Bo as #1 overall recruit, and Micah was a top 5 overall guy. Rocky was in the 20s on most lists.

Bo and Micah both had full redshirt years prior to competing. Rocky did not wrestle one match last year. Had a foot issue and was in a boot most of his redshirt year. Thus, he really did not get any mat experience last year and this is basically his redshirt year.
He's progressed very well, as would be expected with more mat experience. He started the year at 174 and lost some matches to unranked guys. After Kaleb Romero locked down 174, Rocky moved up to 184 - which is where I thought he would eventually be, anyway. I have no clue how he made 174. He looks like he could throw on a pair of shoulder pads and play middle linebacker for Ryan Day.

At this point, he will be a toss up with anyone ranked around 8th to 15th. The Venz match showed he can roll with most of the weight class. He 'could' end up low AA in the right bracket, this year.

His strength is his riding. Great roll through tilt that he can hit on most unranked and lower-ranked guys. He hasnt been able to hit it on a higher ranked guy yet.

IMHO- Brooks should win comfortably, but probably not a major. Brooks is elite on this feet but Rocky is very strong and hard to finish upon.

Hayes will be a Graduate Transfer and wrestling 149 in Blue and White next year. Book it Dano

Hayes will be a Graduate Transfer and wrestling 149 in Blue and White next year. Book it Dano
Very intriguing idea.

He would need a 6th year -- which might be an option with 2 potential medical hardship years after his true freshman tanshirt. His last match in 2017 was 11/22 -- his injury was what pulled Pletcher out of tanshirt. His last match this year was at the MSU Open 11/2 --- and he injury defaulted out of the tourney.

Cael did recruit him, so there is a connection.

Reactions: danoftw

Agreed. McKee’s and Pletcher’s styles are more different than alike. Pletcher reminds me a little of Lugo, though Pletcher is more active, especially this year. Both are solid positionally, have low centers of gravity, and are hard to score on. McKee is more of a workingman’s Eierman (though not quite as good) — both are unorthodox and like to throw the big move.

I believe Nick has caught up in the strength department to McKee and Eierman. Now that he has, I think he matches up better against them than Pletcher. Doesn’t mean that Nick can’t or won’t beat Pletcher, but I do think it’s a more difficult match up for him.

Reactions: danoftw
Anyone care to run the tournament numbers on this all PA team? I may have missed someone, and admit I had to use Intermat for 197 and HWt...
125 SLee
133 DeSanto
141 Pletcher
149 Sasso
157 HHidlay
165 Cenzo
174 Kemmerer

184 THidlay
197 Greg Bulsak
HWT Jordan Wood

It was mentioned last night at a ref meeting (within District 7) that depending on the ranking service, 4 of these guys are ranked #1 and come from District 7 WPIAL.

Hotbed!

So how do people see Lee-Pletcher going down? We all know Lee has been a beast this year but Pletcher has upped his game as well. Will Nick be a bit more cautious out of respect for Pletcher's reattack skills? If so, does he forfeit some of his gas tank advantage? Will Nick be able to ride Pletcher as he has everyone else? What do people think?

This might be a style adjustment match for Nick, like Gross was for RBY.

Pletcher is very aggressive with throw-bys, maybe the most of any D1 wrestler (with possible exception of Spencer Lee).

If Nick doesn't get taken out of position with those, then he'll be OK. But Pletcher also has the ability to shut down matches after hitting one.

the good thing is that nick can hit sweep singles and doesn't need to Tie up on every shot

Pletcher is very aggressive with throw-bys, maybe the most of any D1 wrestler (with possible exception of Spencer Lee).

If Nick doesn't get taken out of position with those, then he'll be OK. But Pletcher also has the ability to shut down matches after hitting one.

I'm an odds guy. So if they meet (3) times this year I just assume Nick drop this won and win the next (2). Now I would be perfectly fine with (3) wins but tough to beat a guy of this caliber (3) times in the same season. Que Nolf vs Berger responses.

Agree, but even if Pletcher does get an early TD Nick can neutralize that with his riding. Either by Pletcher taking neutral when it is his choice and giving up that escape point or by Nick having riding time. I don;t think Pletcher is going to be able to win with just one TD, he will need at least 2, whereas Nick only needs 1. Can;t wait to see how it actually plays out.

lamar-gant-amazing-deadlifter.jpg

A deadlift champion perhaps?

Well that's one way to avoid having to face any PSU hammers :)
Any idea who Tom Ryan’s special guest will be on this visit?
Last time they brought hell with them.
Was wondering if they were bringing anyone special this week.

Favorite tOSU @ BJC memories from a few years ago (2016?):

3. While losing 4-1 in the 3rd, Bo hit two TDs & 4NF vs Myles Martin in an 11-5 win.

2. Similarly, while losing 4-0, Jordan Conaway roared back for a 8-4 win including a 3rd period rideout + two stalls on DiJulius.

1. Jason Nolf dribbling TanTom’s kid around the mat for a full 7 minutes.

Poor Young Ryan wanted to jump into the stands & hide. 4 stall calls + a lunger in that match!!

I know that this has been discussed before about the BJC/PSU & wrestling but i have spent the last hour looking for a thread on tic's for the PSU vs. tOSU and i can't find one! Dumb me!!! Did everyone receive their tic's or do we use our cards? Thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT