ADVERTISEMENT

James Franklin defeats a top 10 team

But if they game mattered would they opt out? That's the point. Guys will always play a meaningful game if they physically can
You're viewing it as one extreme or the other. Even though bowl games are meaningful, kids opt out because their potential NFL careers are too important to them. But a national championship? Perhaps that's too hard to walk away from, not to mention the pressure and ridicule from leaving your team in the playoffs would be far greater. So, while bowl games are meaningful, nobody disagrees that playoff games are more meaningful.

You're viewing it as one extreme or the other. Even though bowl games are meaningful, kids opt out because their potential NFL careers are too important to them. But a national championship? Perhaps that's too hard to walk away from, not to mention the pressure and ridicule from leaving your team in the playoffs would be far greater. So, while bowl games are meaningful, nobody disagrees that playoff games are more meaningful.
What is the meaning of a bowl game? In the grand scheme of college football what's the impact of us beating Utah?

Kids aren't opting out because their careers are too important to them--if that was true they'd opt out of the playoffs too. They're opting out because they take the game for what it is.

Sure kids opt out because the game is "meaningless". But that isn't changing the level of intensity on the field. Just changes the personnel. The outcome is still critically important to the people on the field in the moment. The fact that it isn't the national championship game doesn't impact the intensity of the game. Only its importance to you and in the grand scheme of winning a national title. Both teams pulled with all their strength on opposite ends of the rope.

Sure kids opt out because the game is "meaningless". But that isn't changing the level of intensity on the field. Just changes the personnel. The outcome is still critically important to the people on the field in the moment. The fact that it isn't the national championship game doesn't impact the intensity of the game. Only its importance to you and in the grand scheme of winning a national title. Both teams pulled with all their strength on opposite ends of the rope.
So we agree the game is meaningless? Cool

Reactions: chalkstream1
Kids aren't opting out because their careers are too important to them--if that was true they'd opt out of the playoffs too. They're opting out because they take the game for what it is.
Then why do the kids who are not going to the NFL play in bowl games?

In a meaningless scrimmage
Correct--when is the next time they'll put on the pads and a helmet to play a game they've been playing since they were 6 or 8? It's the last opportunity and they don't want to let go of what they did for so long--hence Clifford's emotion as he knew he's likely never playing again.

Because it's a contradiction. When you care about something, it's meaningful by definition.
In the grand scheme of things--something being meaningful to an individual doesn't make it truly meaningful. The game itself does have any impact on college football. None. Zero. Had we lost by 40 I'd be saying the same thing.

True for this season. It could have an impact in the future. Trending up vs trending down, recruiting mojo, a higher pre-season ranking next season, team confidence. It's an important game for PSU to win. If they win the title next season "college football" may look back and say this game was the beginning of it all.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
In the grand scheme of things--something being meaningful to an individual doesn't make it truly meaningful. The game itself does have any impact on college football. None. Zero. Had we lost by 40 I'd be saying the same thing.
OK, now I know you truly are an idiot and I get where your antagonistic and grandiose comments come from.

For those of us who live in the real world - but not your grand scheme - the comment you were responding to (that I've bolded above) is the essence of living. LionFab87b said "When you care about something, it's meaningful by definition." He hit the nail squarely on the head in describing and identifying the human condition. Things in our lives, no matter how big or small, that we care about and invest ourselves in define our lives.

You, clearly, only care about one thing - your overinflated sense of self. Spouting your truths here is evidence of that. I truly feel sorry for any family you might have and the fact that they have to deal with you day in and day out. My wish for them is to find others in this world that will provide the meaningful things that, in the grand scheme, you clearly do not. Peace out brother.

Reactions: AvgUser
OK, now I know you truly are an idiot and I get where your antagonistic and grandiose comments come from.

For those of us who live in the real world - but not your grand scheme - the comment you were responding to (that I've bolded above) is the essence of living. LionFab87b said "When you care about something, it's meaningful by definition." He hit the nail squarely on the head in describing and identifying the human condition. Things in our lives, no matter how big or small, that we care about and invest ourselves in define our lives.

You, clearly, only care about one thing - your overinflated sense of self. Spouting your truths here is evidence of that. I truly feel sorry for any family you might have and the fact that they have to deal with you day in and day out. My wish for them is to find others in this world that will provide the meaningful things that, in the grand scheme, you clearly do not. Peace out brother.
Says the person that started a thread about me?
Whether or not a game is meaningful isn't determine by "if anyone cares about"--in the grand scheme of things it means nothing
Notice how you keep personally attacking. It only speak volumes about you. If you had a valid argument you wouldn't be acting like a toddler. Fortunately my family, especially my wife and kids, don't care about your opinion because that's meaningless just like those that care about that game.

In the grand scheme of things, next week's championship game is meaningless, too. It will only represent one season out of 150 years (so far) of college football. Heck, in the grand scheme of things, even our lives are meaningless. That's why I appreciate the meaning in things that aren't so "grand."

True for this season. It could have an impact in the future. Trending up vs trending down, recruiting mojo, a higher pre-season ranking next season, team confidence. It's an important game for PSU to win. If they win the title next season "college football" may look back and say this game was the beginning of it all.
This is where people just make up stuff though. Explain how winning or losing this game impacts the rankings next year. If Rising returns Utah will be ahead of us despite this outcome. If he doesn't they won't be. Preseason rankings are all about additions and subtractions. Not about whether or not you won a bowl game. The last line is just too much--I get optimism but come on.

In the grand scheme of things, next week's championship game is meaningless, too. It will only represent one season out of 150 years (so far) of college football. Heck, in the grand scheme of things, even our lives are meaningless. That's why I appreciate the meaning in things that aren't so "grand."
In the grand scheme of college football it matters who is the wins the national title. Fact not opinion.

Team is loaded next year. Absolutely could win it.
That wasn't the point. This year isn't going to determine that. The most important player next year attempted one pass in the game. We also still have no reason to believe we can beat Michigan and Ohio State. They have a lot to prove but thankfully their non-conference schedule couldn't be easier.

Do you agree? Were previous losses meaningless or did you complain?

Are 7-6 and 6-7 the same?
The only "previous losses" this season prevented us from making the playoff so those were meaningful.
No one is 7-6 or 6-7 because that's including the bowl game

Any fanboy can define a contest or a sport "meaningless." A player may choose not to participate and perhaps this could be interpreted that he has defined the contest as meaningless. Although I sometimes wonder why they don their jerseys and stand on the sideline for a "meaningless" game.
Those who watch, attend, or participate in any way shape or form have provided empirical evidence that the event is "meaningful."
Someone who defines something as "meaningless" and spends time trying to win an argument about a "meaningless" thing is unhinged, unbalanced or deranged.

Any fanboy can define a contest or a sport "meaningless." A player may choose not to participate and perhaps this could be interpreted that he has defined the contest as meaningless. Although I sometimes wonder why they don their jerseys and stand on the sideline for a "meaningless" game.
Those who watch, attend, or participate in any way shape or form have provided empirical evidence that the event is "meaningful."
Someone who defines something as "meaningless" and spends time trying to win an argument about a "meaningless" thing is unhinged, unbalanced or deranged.
I mean you're all arguing about a meaningless game as well because of the deranged need to believe the game matters

You and I have discussed before. I played hockey at a very high level and had a pro contract. You can be competitive while still comprehending a bowl game is just an exhibition and as the playoff expands it means less and less. See Saban's comments if you don't believe me. I'm competitive in everything but I know the importance and meaning behind it.
You have claimed this before and I have no reason to doubt you, but I would have called you out as a horrible teammate without competitive fire.

Again, you are assigning your personal meaning to this.

Clearly it matters to the players -- they played hard and endured a lot of extra practices to play in this game. We even had players who are leaving for the NFL who opted to play in the game.

Clearly it matters to the fans -- the game was sold out.

Clearly it matters to sports historians because the individual, team and W-L go into the record books.

So the fact that it doesn't matter to someone who doesn't know how to spell the word "commando" is of very little consequence to the discussion.

Last edited:
They're not "terrible"...the issue is you think of college football how it was and want to hold on that. I'm someone that challenges that. You know, even if you don't admit it, how meaningless the Rose Bowl now is with a playoff. We all do.
LOL. You are a troll.

You have claimed this before and I have no reason to doubt you, but I would have called you out as a horrible teammate without competitive fire.

Again, you are assigning your personal meaning to this.

Clearly it matters to the players -- they played hard and endured a lot of extra practices to play in this game. We even had players who are leaving for the NFL who opted to play in the game.

Clearly it matters to the fans -- the game was sold out.

Clearly it matters to sports historians because the individual, team and W-L go into the record books.

So the fact that it doesn't matter to someone who doesn't know how to spell the work "commando" is of very little consequence to the discussion.
I was literally voted captain as a 15 year old sophomore. Pretending meaningless games have meaning doesn't make you competitive. Striving to win games that matter and making your teammates better does.

All those individuals caring about it doesn't give it meaning. Also I explained the spelling multiple times.

The flaw with your argument is YOU argue it matters when Franklin loses a bowl game.
No I don't. We could have lost by 50 and I wouldn't have said anything negative about the outcome. I couldn't care less about this bowl record. I care about his record vs Michigan and Ohio State. Franklin had a great year this season and hopefully he builds on it. I wouldn't fire him currently. I'm impressed with 10-2 and how he beat the teams he should have. I didn't complain at all this year other than I didn't think they were fully prepared for Purdue but found a way to win.

I wanted to resist jumping in, but I can't at this moment. Your OPINION is that the Rose Bowl is meaningless. Great. Your opinion is not fact. You can stomp your feet and scream and yell, and post another 184 times that your opinion is correct, but it's not.

Also, this is one of the dumbest things you've written:
"Something being meaningful to an individual doesn't make it truly meaningful"

You basically contradict yourself. Something being meaningful to an individual is, by definition, meaningful. End of story right there. Absolutely nothing is this world ever universally, unequivocally, and always 100% 'truly meaningful'. Your 'truly' descriptor is simply your own personal value system being placed upon something YOU and YOU alone value. Nobody has the ability to define 'truly meaningful' as an absolute in your myopic view.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT