ADVERTISEMENT

James Franklin defeats a top 10 team

A TO in the endzone did not hurt PSU? 23-20 game
It was a 23-20 game because PSU had zero offense after Clifford went out. if Clifford doesn't get hurt, the TOs would have mattered because PSU would have scored at least two more TDs.

Not sure how you did it but you replied to a post from me and the words in my "post" are showing different from the post that I had made. If you click on the space that sends you to my post, you'll see what I am describing.
I'm not sure, either; it isn't something I did intentionally.

Edit: I figured out what I did. At some point I was going to reply to one of your earlier posts in the thread, but changed my mind after I started to type. When you do that, the next time you reply to any post, the earlier post, in this case, yours, appears in addition to the post you are currently trying to reply to. When I tried to clean it up, I screwed up and somehow combined your handle with PSU2UNC's comments. My apologies; if I had noticed what happened, I would have corrected it on the spot. I will edit my post so it doesn't appear you wrote something you didn't.

Last edited:
Another thing. Amusing that Utah likely scores more than 14 points before garbage time if Rising doesn't get hurt (and any logical fan agreed with this), but ol Peggy Pigeon and perhaps @voltz99 believes that PSU was doomed even if Clifford had remained in the game.

Clifford had 2 INTs, but he also had 3 scoring drives. It seems unlikely that Iowa clamps down on him the rest of the way considering Roberson, who was flat out ineffective, even led PSU on a drive that amounted to a FG.

Another thing. Amusing that Utah likely scores more than 14 points before garbage time if Rising doesn't get hurt (and any logical fan agreed with this), but ol Peggy Pigeon and perhaps @voltz99 believes that PSU was doomed even if Clifford had remained in the game.

Clifford had 2 INTs, but he also had 3 scoring drives. It seems unlikely that Iowa clamps down on him the rest of the way considering Roberson, who was flat out ineffective, even led PSU on a drive that amounted to a FG.

Psu doomed vs Utah. No. I replied to the post on last years iowa game. Do you think two turnovers including one INt in the endzone in 3 point game had no effect? Pretty dumb.

Psu doomed vs Utah. No. I replied to the post on last years iowa game. Do you think two turnovers including one INt in the endzone in 3 point game had no effect? Pretty dumb.

Clifford's 2 took off between 3 and 7 pts. They, however, occurred before we went up 17-3.

If SC remains uninjured, it's likely we put up more points. Iowa very well could have as well. I'm not refuting that with 48 minutes left, Iowa winning was out of the realm of possibility even with a healthy SC.

However, to state Iowa figured out our offense off of a 17 pt, 200 yard performance over 18 minutes is an idiotic statement by anyone who makes it.

Iowa caught the break that Roberson was not big enough for the moment. They realized he couldn't beat them. That's it.

Clifford's 2 took off between 3 and 7 pts. They, however, occurred before we went up 17-3.

If SC remains uninjured, it's likely we put up more points. Iowa very well could have as well. I'm not refuting that with 48 minutes left, Iowa winning was out of the realm of possibility even with a healthy SC.

However, to state Iowa figured out our offense off of a 17 pt, 200 yard performance over 18 minutes is an idiotic statement by anyone who makes it.

Iowa caught the break that Roberson was not big enough for the moment. They realized he couldn't beat them. That's it.
Iowa is not a program that will win by trading points. When Cliff was in the game, PSU looked capable of gashing Iowa's "vaunted" defense. After Cliff went out PSU managed 50 yards on 46 plays (237 yards prior to injury). This inability to move the ball permitted Iowa to pin PSU deep in its own territory for practically the entire second half. Even with Clifford playing only a quarter and a half and starting drives with great field position.....Iowa wins by a whopping 3 points.

All that being said....injuries are a part of football. Therefore, Iowa wins fair and square.
However, anyone who says having a healthy Clifford wouldn't have changed the outcome, is being obtuse.

It was a 23-20 game because PSU had zero offense after Clifford went out. if Clifford doesn't get hurt, the TOs would have mattered because PSU would have scored at least two more TDs.
The loss didn't happen because Clifford went out. The loss happened because a competent backup quarterback was not made ready.

The loss happened because a competent backup quarterback was not made ready.

Actually, they had Will Levis ready. He hit the portal though.

I guess all efforts should be on the #3 QB? Because keeping a #2 is tough if he doesn't have direct playing time.

Reactions: marshall23
The loss didn't happen because Clifford went out. The loss happened because a competent backup quarterback was not made ready.
They did have a competent backup. Unfortunately he was starting at another school. The back up to the back up was being disciplined and , so what would/should have been 4th string QB was all that was left. But, you are correct....and first commandment of the NNNNNCAC...
never miss an opportunity to blame Franklin.

Reactions: lazydave841
Why are we acting like Levis left the week prior or that Franklin didn't go with the wrong backup of who he had left?
It is the coach's responsibility to have the backup ready to the point he's not going to destroy your team. He also recruited him right?

They did have a competent backup. Unfortunately he was starting at another school. The back up to the back up was being disciplined and , so what would/should have been 4th string QB was all that was left. But, you are correct....and first commandment of the NNNNNCAC...
never miss an opportunity to blame Franklin.
I guess we lost at Michigan years ago because our top 6 LB’s were out and 7-9 weren’t ready to play….another failure by Franklin.

So, if Clifford hadn't gone out, the lack of a competent backup still would have cost us the game? That makes no sense. Backup quarterbacks never see the field in a loss unless the starter is knocked out or is playing poorly. Maybe what you mean to say is that we lost because of the combination of Clifford going out AND the lack of a competent backup.

Reactions: AWS1022
So, if Clifford hadn't gone out, the lack of a competent backup still would have cost us the game? That makes no sense. Backup quarterbacks never see the field in a loss unless the starter is knocked out or is playing poorly. Maybe what you mean to say is that we lost because of the combination of Clifford going out AND the lack of a competent backup.
Excellent point….I don’t think he thought that one through. But unlike Franklin apparently, every coach out there is playing their backup QB at least two quarters a game regardless of the score. Gotta keep the backup ready. Funny though, with all the college football (and NFL) I watch, I never see the backup play.

Possibly. I don't know. I'm still having nightmares of Roberson literally freezing in Iowa City handing them the football game. That's someone's fault and Franklin deserves a share of that. Credit when he succeeds and critical when it's due and that one was an example of when it was due.

You know Pitt was dying for us to lose so they could brag all day how they beat the team that beat the team who beat PSU, therefore Pitt was better than PSU….they’re world was crushed again by PSU tonight.
A Ute win would have started just what you said ‘We beat the team that beat the team that beat PSU’So we are the true beast of the east.
Wait no that’s Rutgers

Reactions: joeaubie21
But that would put only a portion of the blame of Franklin. That is not the NNNNNCAC way.

A Ute win would have started just what you said ‘We beat the team that beat the team that beat PSU’So we are the true beast of the east.
Wait no that’s Rutgers
Actually a sage scribe on The Lair, stated that the Pitt JV team defeated the team that beat the Utes. Of course establishing their supremacy. The only flaw I see in that line of reasoning is that Pitt plays in a JV division (Coastal) and therefore it must have been their junior high team. Also, Pitt is undefeated and the real National Champs ...because as their coach noted.....they only beat(off) themselves.
All of this would seem to warrant some credit to the Pitt squad, but prior to the contest The Lair officially declared their contest with UCLA to be an exhibition game.

Perhaps but this is not a problem unique to PSU. Most teams do not have a backup QB that is ready to come into Kinnick and not skip a beat.

Reactions: Psugo823
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT