ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Nolf retires

Congrats on a legendary career, and thanks for the many memories.

Best wishes in the newest chapter!

For me he was 100% the most exciting wrestler of the last 25 years …. and I’ve been watching closely for 50+. 1st rate guy. I remember him getting pissed a few times, but, can’t remember a single instance when he was anything but a classy competitor. What a legacy. Can’t wait to see what comes next.

Well, we have a 30 round magazine full of bullets that might replace him, but for now Jason remains my favorite PSU wrestler ever.

What a blessing it was to have watched him practice his craft unlike anyone else for those 5 years.

I am really bummed that he is hanging it up, a bit too soon IMO, granted his style and creativity are much more aligned to folkstyle.

One of the all time greats and I have had the pleasure of seeing him coach in person and he the potential to be an Askren type club coach if that is what he intends. If he continues with his BJJ path I will follow him and expect great things

Reactions: mcpat
From the day Cael took over PSU and started getting these type of guys and that mindset of have fun and score, it made watching college wrestling fun for me. I have had season tickets to LHU yrs ago, when Kolat, billman, lyod and others were there. But other than those few it was so very boring. These guys made it exciting to be a fan and none more than Jason Nolf.

Bittersweet times. A time when rich, vain men hemorrhage pro-athlete money to seduce amateurs to a favored school. When athletes with nowhere near the skill or all-time-great status of Jason or Zain get windfalls those two never saw, for results that’ll be dust in the wind.
Nolf, Retherford, and Nick Lee are my favorite Lion wrestlers. Not only for their relentless, stalking styles, but for the humility and grace they brought to careers today’s biggest NIL recipients will rarely see. Godspeed Jason!

For me he was 100% the most exciting wrestler of the last 25 years …. and I’ve been watching closely for 50+. 1st rate guy. I remember him getting pissed a few times, but, can’t remember a single instance when he was anything but a classy competitor. What a legacy. Can’t wait to see what comes next.
LOL NOLF liked to play with his food!

Man, I didn't need another reminder of how quickly time passes. Seems like a few years ago I watched him at State. Hopefully we get some little Nolf's soon. Then we'll come back to the pack when they graduate.

Jason reinvented himself so many times in his career, and often quickly.

Early in HS, he was more of a positional wrestler. After the loss to Diehl at states, he opened up his offense and wrecked Diehl that summer at Disney Duals. That was a first glimpse of the wrecking ball he became.

In college after the Van Brill default, he became One-Legged Jason Nolf in 6 weeks.

In freestyle, he became more judicious and less of a risk taker. He finally took out Burroughs and was probably top 5 in the world, unfortunately with Dake at his weight.

I can't think of another wrestler who made so many transformations, let alone successfully. It says a lot about his ability and his commitment.

Jason reinvented himself so many times in his career, and often quickly.

Early in HS, he was more of a positional wrestler. After the loss to Diehl at states, he opened up his offense and wrecked Diehl that summer at Disney Duals. That was a first glimpse of the wrecking ball he became.

In college after the Van Brill default, he became One-Legged Jason Nolf in 6 weeks.

In freestyle, he became more judicious and less of a risk taker. He finally took out Burroughs and was probably top 5 in the world, unfortunately with Dake at his weight.

I can't think of another wrestler who made so many transformations, let alone successfully. It says a lot about his ability and his commitment.
Taylor would tell the story of watching Nolf as a freshman just get steamrolled in the room by different wrestlers and it would be night after night. Then all of a sudden something would click and he would just beat people up. Then it was back to getting steamrolled. Taylor finally ask Nolf what seems to be the problem. Nolf looked at him and said "nothing, why" and Taylor replied you go back and forth as though you got things figured out and then for days nothing works for you. Nolf told him, oh yeah. The days I am getting beat I am working on how to make "something" work. When I finally figure it out then I fine tune it for a day or 2. Then I start working on figuring out something new.
You make an excellent observation, he was reinventing his skill set all the time.

Last edited:
Taylor would tell the story of watching Nolf as a freshman just get steamrolled in the room by different wrestlers and it would be night after night. Then all of a sudden something would click and he would just beat people up. Then it was back to getting steamrolled. Taylor finally ask Nolf what seems to be the problem. Nolf looked at him and said "nothing, why" and Taylor replied you go back and forth as though you got things figured out and then for days nothing works for you. Nolf told him, oh yeah. The days I am getting beat I am working on how to make "something" work. When I finally figure it out then I fine tune it for a day or 2. Then I start working on figuring out something new.
You make an excellent observation, he was reinventing his skill set all the time.
His ability to make those adjustments during his career is one reason I am sad to see him retiring from wrestling. I think he could have been very successful in freestyle as his career moved forward. Beating JB just showed the strides he was making. I am glad he followed his heart, though. Wrestling is far too tough a sport to not be 100% committed to it. I wish him all the best as he moves forward to chase some new dreams.

Reactions: Nitlion1986
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT