ADVERTISEMENT

Jonesy says JF might leave -- (don't shoot the messenger)

JosephNit

Sep 10, 2017
More of that media-generated buzz I was talking about: Dave Jones, everyone's favorite reporter, writes tonight (link below) that Franklin might well leave if the USC job comes open and is offered.

Turns out Jonesy put the question directly to JF this afternoon and believes what the coach did NOT say is significant.

Anyway, he claims that Helton's job is probably riding on the outcome of the ND-USC game. He then gives 10 reasons why Franklin might well take the position, if Helton gets the heave-ho.

Again, this is per Dave Jones -- not me. Take it for what it's worth. One thing for sure: the whole thing is a distraction we don't need a few days before what's shaping up to be a pretty big game.

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...e_football_james_fran.html#incart_river_index

Certainly sounds like a reasonable hypothesis. I suspected there’s only a few schools that Franklin would leave for and USC is a good bet to be in that category. I’m not going to lose sleep over it. We’ve hired two good coaches in a row and have good talent on the team. This is not a rebuild and we would be very well positioned to hire a great coach. Franklin has given PSU his all and deserves our respect no matter what happens.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
More of that media-generated buzz I was talking about: Dave Jones, everyone's favorite reporter, writes tonight (link below) that Franklin might well leave if the USC job comes open and is offered.

Turns out Jonesy put the question directly to JF this afternoon and believes what the coach did NOT say is significant.

Anyway, he claims that Helton's job is probably riding on the outcome of the ND-USC game. He then gives 10 reasons why Franklin might well take the position, if Helton gets the heave-ho.

Again, this is per Dave Jones -- not me. Take it for what it's worth. One thing for sure: the whole thing is a distraction we don't need a few days before what's shaping up to be a pretty big game.

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...e_football_james_fran.html#incart_river_index
why post this?

I can list 10 reasons why Davey J. should move to Canada...
1518811647.jpeg

Franklin’s answer sounds like all of his answers when someone asks him about something other than the next opponent.

He’s being handsomely paid, has been recruiting lights out, is finally starting to see the kind of talent hit the field that he always talked about wanting/needing, and we’re to believe that he’s going to give up what he’s been building for (maybe) a little more money at a program who’s facilities (from what I’ve read) are not very good, and in an area he has no coaching/recruiting connections.

Moreover, while Helton’s team is struggling this year, his coaching staff has been recruiting really well (2018 composite ranking was 4th in the country), his contract has a massive buy out, and he just finished two back to back seasons of 10 and 11 wins.

Helton has only been the head coach (not interim) since 11/2015. So this is his third year as head coach and he’s going to be fired for one bad year? WTH?

Jones is the only beat writer I've ever encountered who seems to hate the team he's assigned to cover. Dude, go be miserable elsewhere.

I think he tries entirely to hard to be non-bias... However, I am not familiar with his background or allegiance...

Reactions: whart
Fake news but Franklin’s name will always pop up. Wait till Saban steps down... but there are very few programs that Franklin will leave for. Bama, ND, Tex just to name a few.

Reactions: BBrown
You’re trusting our BOT to make a 3rd good decision in 7 years? Looking back I’m still shocked they didn’t F up the coaching hires like they have everything else.

Certainly sounds like a reasonable hypothesis. I suspected there’s only a few schools that Franklin would leave for and USC is a good bet to be in that category. I’m not going to lose sleep over it. We’ve hired two good coaches in a row and have good talent on the team. This is not a rebuild and we would be very well positioned to hire a great coach. Franklin has given PSU his all and deserves our respect no matter what happens.

You need to be sitting in a salt mine whenever you read a Davey jones opinion, a few grains just will not handle it.

What I got from that article..

1. Davey has traveled to LA a few times. I think he mentioned that more than once. Therefore he can feel the SoCal pulse.

2. Franklin is way too cool for Penn State.

3. Central Pennsylvanians are racist.

1) Davey boy is a POS Ohio St grad who is angry at life being resigned to cover the biggest threat to his alma mater.

2) Most here abide by the general rule to not link Pennlive or click on Pennlive articles. Their model is to attack our program and hope to dupe into clicks.

3) USC has had 4 coaching changes in the last 10 years. PSU has had 4 coaches total since modern football (1950). Coach knows this.

4) This is merely an attempt to distract from the program’s focus this week, in recruiting, etc. It’s fantasy and designed to inflict harm.

5) If USC 's coach is fired after 1 down year following a Rose bowl win season and then a PAC10 championship season, why would any coach want that job? One slip up and you are gone.

6) As Penn St fans, we need to be smart enough to understand that the media attempts to create the story. The media no longer reports news, it attempts to create it.

7) Maryland, Maryland, Maryland….

Last edited:

1. Davey has traveled to LA a few times. I think he mentioned that more than once. Therefore he can feel the SoCal pulse.

Kind of like the story he did on Mike Watkins claiming he was an expert on poverty because he worked at a Boys Club in the ghetto for 2 years.

What did I learn?
He's one chromosome short of a monkey.

Reactions: nittnee
If I write a totally speculative story, which by definition has no facts to support it, does that make me a journalist? And if I write multiple speculative stories about the same subject (Penn State football), does that mean I have some sort of agenda?

Last edited:
Reactions: JJTopp99
Davey dufus never passes up the chance to poke the PSU faithful in the eye. It’s usually by repeating someone else’s drivel because as we all know this dunce’s next original thought will be his first.

Reactions: Yanks49 and psu00
1) Davey boy is a POS Ohio St grad who is angry at life being resigned to cover the biggest threat to his alma mater.

2) Most here abide by the general rule to not link Pennlive or click on Pennlive articles. Their model is to attack our program and hope to dupe into clicks.

3) USC has had 4 coaching changes in the last 10 years. PSU has had 4 coaches total since modern football (1950). Coach knows this.

4) This is merely an attempt to distract from the program’s focus this week, in recruiting, etc. It’s fantasy and designed to inflict harm.

5) If USC 's coach is fired after 1 down year following a Rose bowl win season and then a PAC10 championship season, why would any coach want that job? One slip up and you are gone.

6) As Penn St fans, we need to be smart enough to understand that the media attempts to create the story. The media no longer reports news, it attempts to create it.

7) Maryland, Maryland, Maryland….
Number five especially....for arguments sake, if franklin went 5-7 this year, what would be the odds of him getting canned? Zero.

If I write a totally speculative story, which by definition has no facts to support it, does that make me a journalist? And if I write multiple speculative stories about same subject (Penn State football), does that mean I have some sort of agenda?

I think with the current state of "journalism" that scenario would qualify you for a Pulitzer Prize .

I'm not clicking on the article, and can't comment on #1
#2- that's a matter of opinion
#3- not all of them, but it ain't SoCal now, is it?

What an outstanding gig. Write articles based on discussions on message board and get paid for it. Congrats Davey boy, good job.

Reactions: JJTopp99
I'd like to know if there are any other major programs whose local media folks are as consistently disparaging toward the "home town" team as ours.

So why post and link the story then??? You can't claim "don't shoot the messenger" when you lob a grenade like this in the middle of a pile of kindling.
So why post and link the story then??? You can't claim "don't shoot the messenger" when you lob a grenade like this in the middle of a pile of kindling.
Maybe the kindling is the problem:):p:cool::D:D

Franklin’s answer sounds like all of his answers when someone asks him about something other than the next opponent.

He’s being handsomely paid, has been recruiting lights out, is finally starting to see the kind of talent hit the field that he always talked about wanting/needing, and we’re to believe that he’s going to give up what he’s been building for (maybe) a little more money at a program who’s facilities (from what I’ve read) are not very good, and in an area he has no coaching/recruiting connections.

Moreover, while Helton’s team is struggling this year, his coaching staff has been recruiting really well (2018 composite ranking was 4th in the country), his contract has a massive buy out, and he just finished two back to back seasons of 10 and 11 wins.

Helton has only been the head coach (not interim) since 11/2015. So this is his third year as head coach and he’s going to be fired for one bad year? WTH?

Lineage, you hit the nail on the head here. I've been saying the same thing... Couldn't agree more.

Reactions: Howie'81

So one of the reasons he might leave is that the PSU faithful are unhappy, but he’s going to go to a place that wants to fire their coach after four years....got it.

That’s about as dismal a take on life in Happy Valley as I’ve ever seen...up to and including...drum roll please...racism. Good grief. Also have never heard that James lacks backing from the heavy hitters. Beyond that, methinks Davey’s fallen into the “it’s-John-McKay’s-USC” trap...them days are gone forever...don’t care who the HC is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT