ADVERTISEMENT

Judge orders FSU/ ACC to mediation….

psu00

Jan 4, 2010
Nothing really shocking about that. The process will take up to 4 months and could end up back in court if the 2 sides don’t come to an agreement. A few interesting nuggets from the article-

-The article states FSU could potentially be heading to the Big Ten. Interesting it doesn’t say Big Ten or SEC. Given ESPN’s behind the scenes efforts to reorganize conferences, just thought that was an interesting omission.

- The ACC is fighting to keep its contract with ESPN secret. FSU wants open transparency on the details with the documents unsealed.

-No mention of how Clemson would fit into all of this with their recent lawsuit in South Carolina against the ACC. Could there be competing judges with different rulings?

Nothing really shocking about that. The process will take up to 4 months and could end up back in court if the 2 sides don’t come to an agreement. A few interesting nuggets from the article-

-The article states FSU could potentially be heading to the Big Ten. Interesting it doesn’t say Big Ten or SEC. Given ESPN’s behind the scenes efforts to reorganize conferences, just thought that was an interesting omission.

- The ACC is fighting to keep its contract with ESPN secret. FSU wants open transparency on the details with the documents unsealed.

-No mention of how Clemson would fit into all of this with their recent lawsuit in South Carolina against the ACC. Could there be competing judges with different rulings?

I don't think the SEC has any interest in FSU. It's Big Ten or bust for them.

I think UNC is the obvious #2 choice but the SEC will have a big offer for them.

I actually think Miami is a far more attractive option than Clemson. Bigger name in all sports…and without Dabo and the last 8 years of success, Clemson is barely a top 25 name on college football , let alone college sports.

People say Miami is the Pitt of Florida and rightly so. Pro stadium. Off campus. Fee loyal fans in a NFL city with tons of entertainment options.

But unlike Pittsburgh, Miami offers a huge magnet for visiting northern fans and can draw regional alumni of other Big Ten schools to fill up their empty stadium. Miami might be another Nebraska for the conference (more success behind them than ahead in football) but I think they’re a great pair to add.

UNC and UVA
Texas Am and Kansas

Covers every recruiting base…and corner of the country. 24 teams. Then sit tight until the NCAA model dissolves in 2032 at the end of all the TV deals.

Judge John c cooper does not believe in the rule of law. He has a history of doing whatever he can so he doesn’t have to make a decision. It’s pretty pathetic. The Leon county judges in general are not future Supreme Court nominees. But it is a good ole boys network!

Reactions: Obliviax
Judge John c cooper does not believe in the rule of law. He has a history of doing whatever he can so he doesn’t have to make a decision. It’s pretty pathetic. The Leon county judges in general are not future Supreme Court nominees. But it is a good ole boys network!
mediation is meaningless. this is way too complex for a mediator. there is nothing binding and there is no way some dufus is going to tell FSU and/or ACC something they don't already know. This is just a CYA time-waster. It may be in their contract that they first have to go to mediation to try and resolve disputes as many contracts now contain these clauses.

mediation is meaningless. this is way too complex for a mediator. there is nothing binding and there is no way some dufus is going to tell FSU and/or ACC something they don't already know. This is just a CYA time-waster. It may be in their contract that they first have to go to mediation to try and resolve disputes as many contracts now contain these clauses.
Agree. My only point is this judge is known to not want to make a decision. He doesn’t follow the rule of law - judges are supposed to make decisions. This judge uses the court room as a mediation process - he will exert all his good ole county boy persona into encouraging the tall atty network into not having him make a decision. And those attys will pay dearly if they don’t follow his lead. Obviously the acc attys ain’t gonna care about that…

Reactions: Obliviax
I think UNC is the obvious #2 choice but the SEC will have a big offer for them.

I actually think Miami is a far more attractive option than Clemson. Bigger name in all sports…and without Dabo and the last 8 years of success, Clemson is barely a top 25 name on college football , let alone college sports.

People say Miami is the Pitt of Florida and rightly so. Pro stadium. Off campus. Fee loyal fans in a NFL city with tons of entertainment options.

But unlike Pittsburgh, Miami offers a huge magnet for visiting northern fans and can draw regional alumni of other Big Ten schools to fill up their empty stadium. Miami might be another Nebraska for the conference (more success behind them than ahead in football) but I think they’re a great pair to add.

UNC and UVA
Texas Am and Kansas

Covers every recruiting base…and corner of the country. 24 teams. Then sit tight until the NCAA model dissolves in 2032 at the end of all the TV deals.
Why would A&M leave the SEC?

Reactions: PSUSignore
Agree. My only point is this judge is known to not want to make a decision. He doesn’t follow the rule of law - judges are supposed to make decisions. This judge uses the court room as a mediation process - he will exert all his good ole county boy persona into encouraging the tall atty network into not having him make a decision. And those attys will pay dearly if they don’t follow his lead. Obviously the acc attys ain’t gonna care about that…
Nothing wrong with a judge that pushes mediation

Nothing wrong with a judge that pushes mediation
might be good if a tree falls into the neighbor's fence or a dispute regarding a loud air conditioning unit. A multimillion-dollar sports contract with millions of dollars in associated media rights is going to be just a tad too complex.

UNC and UVA
Texas Am and Kansas

I can’t see Texas A&M leaving the SEC. They were too ‘all in’ on the move to suddenly reverse course. They get games with LSU, Bama, etc that their fan base loves. While there will be some anger over Texas following them, I have a feeling a lot will like to see the Texas-A&M game back on the schedule.

UVA adds nothing IMO and would be a detriment. Their football is horrible. While their bball has had a resurgence lately, it’s not enough to make them an attractive addition IMO. They will dilute the pool and decrease individual payouts.

Kansas is similar to UVA. Good basketball, lousy football and this whole realignment is football driven. They will dilute the conference payouts per school and absolutely no one wants to see their team play Kansas in football. ;)

UNC is interesting. Academically, the snooty types in Chapel Hill would likely prefer the Big Ten. However, this is sports driven and the traditionalist Tar Heel fans will be all about the South and SEC IMO (from what I’ve seen in discussions there). I would put them as leaning pretty significantly to the SEC if I had to guess.

might be good if a tree falls into the neighbor's fence or a dispute regarding a loud air conditioning unit. A multimillion-dollar sports contract with millions of dollars in associated media rights is going to be just a tad too complex.
I'll be honest--I expect most judges to recommend mediation.
The problem here is FSU also has to refile so he couldn't have made a judgment if he wanted to.

I don't think they would. A&M was pissed Texas and to some extent Oklahoma kept dictating everything in the Big 12. Texas amd Oklahoma won't be doing that in the SEC.
Agreed--I fully understand why they ran from Texas/OU before but not now. Texas/OU have very little power in the SEC.

UNC and UVA
Texas Am and Kansas

I would personally love to see them join the conference, but UVA is a huge per capita net loss for the B1G. Tv ratings are mid-major level.

Reactions: psu00
I don't think they would. A&M was pissed Texas and to some extent Oklahoma kept dictating everything in the Big 12. Texas amd Oklahoma won't be doing that in the SEC.

I have no doubt they’ll get the ‘good ole boy’ treatment for a few years to put them in their place but I think Texas will rise quickly to a power player in the SEC. Maybe not on the field but in wielding power behind the scenes given the size and $$ of Texas.

Oklahoma will be interesting to watch. They’ve slid down a tier or 2 from their prime and will now be playing a schedule that is much more involved than just 1 big game a year on a neutral field. Do they return to prominence or turn into Nebraska?

Reactions: LMTLION
I have no doubt they’ll get the ‘good ole boy’ treatment for a few years to put them in their place but I think Texas will rise quickly to a power player in the SEC. Maybe not on the field but in wielding power behind the scenes given the size and $$ of Texas.

Oklahoma will be interesting to watch. They’ve slid down a tier or 2 from their prime and will now be playing a schedule that is much more involved than just 1 big game a year on a neutral field. Do they return to prominence or turn into Nebraska?
They will become Nebraska and blame the next several head coaches for mediocre performance in a top conference.

Reactions: rrdd2021 and psu00
Agreed--I fully understand why they ran from Texas/OU before but not now. Texas/OU have very little power in the SEC.

FWIW, this source says A&M is pissed and having serious 3rd party talks with the B2G

They will become Nebraska and blame the next several head coaches for mediocre performance in a top conference.

I agree. Oklahoma isn’t what they used to be and I think chances are they become the SEC’s version of Nebraska.

FWIW, this source says A&M is pissed and having serious 3rd party talks with the B2G

Before USC/UCLA joined the conference I would’ve thought this is nonsense, but I can believe just about anything nowadays. Hell, Stanford is in the ACC! I know travel concerns don’t mean much for the basketball or football teams, but what about the rest of the student athletes?

Before USC/UCLA joined the conference I would’ve thought this is nonsense, but I can believe just about anything nowadays. Hell, Stanford is in the ACC! I know travel concerns don’t mean much for the basketball or football teams, but what about the rest of the student athletes?
The money the program brings in trumps that but I still don't see anyone leaving the SEC for the Big Ten or vise versa.

Things will eventually change and these conferences will only be for 3 sports. Football and basketball both men's and women's.

The main issue is it’s from Swaim. IIRC he was wrong pretty often during expansion moves the past few years despite his alleged ‘sources’.

Here's how I see it through the lens of a fan of an ACC school:
  • Clemson and Florida State are a package deal and will be headed to the same conference. The fact that both of these schools have already made their plans public tells me that they've received the go-ahead from either the Big Ten or SEC. I'm guessing the SEC because A) neither have AAU affiliation and B) it wouldn't be the first time the SEC has double-dipped in a state they were already in (Texas A&M, Texas)
  • Although North Carolina is very attractive to the SEC, I see them and North Carolina going to the Big Ten. They're both AAU institutions Miami would be the B1G’s best chance at getting into Florida once FSU is off the board
Once those four schools leave, I hope the ACC and Big 12 (plus Oregon State and Wazzu) come together to create one conference. We’d have strength in numbers when going to the networks for a television deal, and the sheer number of programming would be too much for Disney and FOX to turn down. This way, it ensures everyone has a seat at the table and we’d likely be able to receive what we currently earn in media revenue. You could even create regional divisions for the mega conference to create some semblance of the former conferences.

Here's how I see it through the lens of a fan of an ACC school:
  • Clemson and Florida State are a package deal and will be headed to the same conference. The fact that both of these schools have already made their plans public tells me that they've received the go-ahead from either the Big Ten or SEC. I'm guessing the SEC because A) neither have AAU affiliation and B) it wouldn't be the first time the SEC has double-dipped in a state they were already in (Texas A&M, Texas)
  • Although North Carolina is very attractive to the SEC, I see them and North Carolina going to the Big Ten. They're both AAU institutions Miami would be the B1G’s best chance at getting into Florida once FSU is off the board
Once those four schools leave, I hope the ACC and Big 12 (plus Oregon State and Wazzu) come together to create one conference. We’d have strength in numbers when going to the networks for a television deal, and the sheer number of programming would be too much for Disney and FOX to turn down. This way, it ensures everyone has a seat at the table and we’d likely be able to receive what we currently earn in media revenue. You could even create regional divisions for the mega conference to create some semblance of the former conferences.

I agree Clemson and FSU have likely been offered positions in another conference and that’s why they’re now going to the courts.

I think Clemson is clearly SEC. IIRC FSU is very close to AAU status and is consolidating its medical school/ teaching hospitals to move in that direction. Since any move would be 2 years away at best, I still think FSU is in play for the Big Ten. They are, by far, the best hook into Florida compared to Miami, UCF, USF, etc.

Both UNC and FSU are interesting in that I think the academic leadership at both would push for the Big Ten while the athletic leadership and general fan base at both would push for SEC.

I agree Clemson and FSU have likely been offered positions in another conference and that’s why they’re now going to the courts.

I think Clemson is clearly SEC. IIRC FSU is very close to AAU status and is consolidating its medical school/ teaching hospitals to move in that direction. Since any move would be 2 years away at best, I still think FSU is in play for the Big Ten. They are, by far, the best hook into Florida compared to Miami, UCF, USF, etc.

Both UNC and FSU are interesting in that I think the academic leadership at both would push for the Big Ten while the athletic leadership and general fan base at both would push for SEC.
I agree that Clemson is certainly destined for the SEC, but I am not sure FSU has a clear path into the SEC. I believe Florida would have a tantrum and do everything in their power to block FSU.

I agree that Clemson is certainly destined for the SEC, but I am not sure FSU has a clear path into the SEC. I believe Florida would have a tantrum and do everything in their power to block FSU.
Why would the SEC want Clemson?
Virginia and UNC make the most sense for them.

I never know what to make of the influence other SEC members like Florida may have on the decision.

I know historically it’s been said Florida and South Carolina would veto FSU and Clemson but I wonder how true that is now? Texas A&M didn’t get a veto on Texas. Even if they wanted to veto those 2, would the league just ignore them and add FSU/ Clemson?

It just seems like all the old rules/ positions are out the window now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT