ADVERTISEMENT

Scenario - Michigan wins, Georgia loses, FSU wins, & Oregon wins

djm_psu_alum

Nov 30, 2016
If all that happens, which is totally possible, it would could mean:
#1 - Michigan
#2 - Florida State
#3 - Alabama (I guess Texas maybe in this spot)
#4 - Oregon

At any rate, the premise of my question relates around Rose vs Sugar for Michigan. I believe I've read that the #1 seed gets the choice for bowl preference. Obviously, they will choose a bowl that is geographically friendly to them. It is entirely possible Georgia loses and Michigan wins thus pushing them to #1. If that happens, if the #4 seed is FSU, Alabama, Texas, or even Georgia, they of course would not choose the Sugar Bowl. However, if the #4 seed is Oregon or Washington, would they really choose the Rose Bowl? I'm sure there would be pressure from the Rose Bowl folks to get one more Pac12-B10 matchup but wouldn't Michigan choose the Sugar Bowl? It is a lot closer trip for them than it is for Oregon/Wash folks. If Michigan chose the Rose Bowl, it could put them at a disadvantage crowd-wise.

Obviously, it's hypothetical and may only interest me since I live in Pasadena and it would be interesting to see something other than a Mich v P12 matchup. But also, it could be a totally FU to SEC/ACC/B12 folks who are so used to going to the Sugar.

Reactions: GregInPitt
#1 - Michigan
#2 - Florida State
#4 - Oregon

At any rate, the premise of my question relates around Rose vs Sugar for Michigan. I believe I've read that the #1 seed gets the choice for bowl preference. Obviously, they will choose a bowl that is geographically friendly to them. It is entirely possible Georgia loses and Michigan wins thus pushing them to #1. If that happens, if the #4 seed is FSU, Alabama, Texas, or even Georgia, they of course would not choose the Sugar Bowl. However, if the #4 seed is Oregon or Washington, would they really choose the Rose Bowl? I'm sure there would be pressure from the Rose Bowl folks to get one more Pac12-B10 matchup but wouldn't Michigan choose the Sugar Bowl? It is a lot closer trip for them than it is for Oregon/Wash folks. If Michigan chose the Rose Bowl, it could put them at a disadvantage crowd-wise.

Obviously, it's hypothetical and may only interest me since I live in Pasadena and it would be interesting to see something other than a Mich v P12 matchup. But also, it could be a totally FU to SEC/ACC/B12 folks who are so used to going to the Sugar.
I would say
#1 Michigan
#2 Alabama
#3 Oregon
#4 Georgia
#5 Florida State
#6 Ohio State
#7 Washington
#8 Texas

I really think Georgia's in regardless.

But, to your main question--I don't think Michigan would care about what anyone else wants right now "it's use vs the world" nonsense. I'd wager Michigan-Oregon Sugar. Florida State-Alabama Rose though everyone will hate that other than Michigan.

If they get FSU, SEC or Texas then I think they'd go to the Rose.

Question...does the #1 seed know their opponent officially before selecting their bowl location? If they know for a fact that they play Oregon, then it's different than if they are told "pick your preferred location" in advance of knowing the opponent.

(I can talk all day about the in's and out's of the basketball selection process, but never needed to get too involved on the football side...hoping that starts to change next season).

Question...does the #1 seed know their opponent officially before selecting their bowl location? If they know for a fact that they play Oregon, then it's different than if they are told "pick your preferred location" in advance of knowing the opponent.

(I can talk all day about the in's and out's of the basketball selection process, but never needed to get too involved on the football side...hoping that starts to change next season).
That's a good question which I'm not sure has ever come up before. I feel like the one seed always has just taken the option closest to home. Only exception was Bama going to the Rose in 2020. The Big Ten nor Pac XII have ever had the 1 seed so could be interesting if Georgia's loses.

Reactions: djm_psu_alum
Florida State will lose. Michigan will play Oregon, Georgia will play Ohio State in the rose bowl, and Michigan will play in New Orleans.

That's a good question which I'm not sure has ever come up before. I feel like the one seed always has just taken the option closest to home. Only exception was Bama going to the Rose in 2020. The Big Ten nor Pac XII have ever had the 1 seed so could be interesting if Georgia's loses.
That exception with Alabama and the Rose in 2020 was because it was moved to Arlington, TX since CA/Pasadena/Rose Bowl (can't recall who exactly put the kibosh on it) prevented attendees due to the COVID surge in winter of 2020/21. So in a way, it was still a geographic choice.

Reactions: Obliviax

I have to think they know who #4 will be before "selecting" their bowl location.

That exception with Alabama and the Rose in 2020 was because it was moved to Arlington, TX since CA/Pasadena/Rose Bowl (can't recall who exactly put the kibosh on it) prevented attendees due to the COVID surge in winter of 2020/21. So in a way, it was still a geographic choice.
Thank you. I forgot about that. Great point

#1 - Michigan
#2 - Florida State
#4 - Oregon

Alabama has to be in if they beat Georgia. I would go with Michigan, Oregon, Alabama and Georgia if Bama pulls the upset. Can't see how you could put Texas over Georgia and some might say that about Alabama but both bamas body of work and Georgia's would be better than the Longhorns.

Reactions: LandoComando
Alabama has to be in if they beat Georgia. I would go with Michigan, Oregon, Alabama and Georgia if Bama pulls the upset. Can't see how you could put Texas over Georgia and some might say that about Alabama but both bamas body of work and Georgia's would be better than the Longhorns.
My point of the post was regarding whether Michigan would chose the Sugar over the Rose to avoid a west coast bowl that would give some level of geographic advantage to Oregon or Washington. I wasn't trying go down the rabbit hole of which team is in or out. However, I don't disagree with you about those choices.

Not sure I would say Alabama’s body of work is better than Texas’ if both win their CCG. Both with one loss, but Texas beat Bama. Head to head is the best measure of relative strength there is. Everything else is subjective.

P.S. I hate Texas.

Not sure I would say Alabama’s body of work is better than Texas’ if both win their CCG. Both with one loss, but Texas beat Bama. Head to head is the best measure of relative strength there is. Everything else is subjective.

P.S. I hate Texas.
It's about beating Georgia and the loss to OU isn't great. Bama also has improved since the Texas loss not convinced Texas has. Plus beating OK State isn't a big win as their extra game.

H2H 3 months ago may or may not be. Also depends of the teams are even deemed comparable at that point.

I don't agree that Bama "has" to be in if they beat Georgia. Texas would still have a better win than Bama.

And I don't think FSU will get knocked out if they manage to defeat the Cards.

Alabama had a chance to prove it was a top four team when it played Texas. Their fans seem to want the reward of scheduling Texas but none of the downside of getting thumped at home.

Florida State will lose. Michigan will play Oregon, Georgia will play Ohio State in the rose bowl, and Michigan will play in New Orleans.
I don't see anyway that Louisville beats Florida State. Louisville lost to the hapless pitters. They have no chance against Florida State and, after losing to pitt, Louisville shouldn't be in the top 50.

Reactions: Psubiomed
I don't agree that Bama "has" to be in if they beat Georgia. Texas would still have a better win than Bama.

And I don't think FSU will get knocked out if they manage to defeat the Cards.

Alabama had a chance to prove it was a top four team when it played Texas. Their fans seem to want the reward of scheduling Texas but none of the downside of getting thumped at home.
Compare the losses for Bama and Texas
Compare SOS for then as well
Alabama beating Georgia probably jumps them to 2

I don't see anyway that Louisville beats Florida State. Louisville lost to the hapless pitters. They have no chance against Florida State and, after losing to pitt, Louisville shouldn't be in the top 50.
FSU has struggled in the majority of their games. Louisville is clearly a top 50 team but neither FSU or Louisville is top 10/15.

Reactions: Ski
FSU has struggled in the majority of their games. Louisville is clearly a top 50 team but neither FSU or Louisville is top 10/15.
Who the hell did Bama beat that’s any good? They needed a miracle to beat a bad auburn team. Florida state is undefeated and deserves to be in top 4 if they win Saturday.

Who the hell did Bama beat that’s any good? They needed a miracle to beat a bad auburn team. Florida state is undefeated and deserves to be in top 4 if they win Saturday.
What? You mean Bama's victories aren't all against undefeated top 10 ranked teams? Unfortunately, season after season, most voters actually do believe this.

Alabama would have wins over Georgia, Ole Miss, LSU and Tennessee--4 ranked wins including Georgia which you're severely underestimating the quality of a win that is
Florida State will only have 2 ranked wins LSU and Louisville--none in the top 10 if Louisville loses again. Their SOS is pathetic. Why does undefeated matter if you don't beat quality teams? You can't say "who the hell did Bama beat that's any good?" when they'd have a Georgia win then say FSU deserves a spot
Texas would have wins over Bama, K-State and Oklahoma State but the worst loss of any 1 loss team with OU.
Remember Alabama, Georgia, Washington and Oregon will all get a big bump in SOS this weekend.

What? You mean Bama's victories aren't all against undefeated top 10 ranked teams? Unfortunately, season after season, most voters actually do believe this.
They don't believe that. They have them as the lowest ranked 1 loss team right now
If they beat Georgia though they're in

Anyone that believes there's any chance of the SEC being left out is beyond delusional. Georgia would have to get destroyed to fall very far at all. They're way ahead of everyone else right now including Michigan after they beat Penn State and Ohio State. Accept reality even if you wish it wasn't true.

Alabama would have wins over Georgia, Ole Miss, LSU and Tennessee--4 ranked wins including Georgia which you're severely underestimating the quality of a win that is
Florida State will only have 2 ranked wins LSU and Louisville--none in the top 10 if Louisville loses again. Their SOS is pathetic. Why does undefeated matter if you don't beat quality teams? You can't say "who the hell did Bama beat that's any good?" when they'd have a Georgia win then say FSU deserves a spot
Texas would have wins over Bama, K-State and Oklahoma State but the worst loss of any 1 loss team with OU.
Remember Alabama, Georgia, Washington and Oregon will all get a big bump in SOS this weekend.
They didn’t beat Georgia. You said Florida state isn’t top 10 team. I say you are wrong and they are ranked currently where they should be. And by the way Clemson is ranked so Florida state has another ranked win.

They don't believe that. They have them as the lowest ranked 1 loss team right now
If they beat Georgia though they're in
I definitely agree with you that if they beat UGA, they will be in the playoffs, whether derseved or not. In this scenario, I also believe UGA still will be selected, again whether derseved or not. Assuming that Michigan wins, I really hope that both Washington and FSU both win because it's going to be great to hear the crying by the fans of the team that gets left out, and that includes Texas if they win. That's why it's totally ridiculous that the playoffs already haven't been expanded.

They didn’t beat Georgia. You said Florida state isn’t top 10 team. I say you are wrong and they are ranked currently where they should be. And by the way Clemson is ranked so Florida state has another ranked win.
The scenario is "if they beat Georgia". If they don't beat Georgia they're not in the discussion
I apologize I missed Clemson--so they still have less than Bama? And lower quality ranked wins?
FSU being ranked 4th doesn't mean they should be--when did you start believing that?

I definitely agree with you that if they beat UGA, they will be in the playoffs, whether derseved or not. In this scenario, I also believe UGA still will be selected, again whether derseved or not. Assuming that Michigan wins, I really hope that both Washington and FSU both win because it's going to be great to hear the crying by the fans of the team that gets left out, and that includes Texas if they win. That's why it's totally ridiculous that the playoffs already haven't been expanded.
We agree 100% here.
I think it would be
1 Michigan
2 Bama
3 Washington/Oregon winner
4 Georgia (btw love Michigan going against Georgia)
---
5 FSU
6 Ohio State
7 Texas
8 Pac XII loser
9 Mizzou
10 Penn State

We agree 100% here.
I think it would be
1 Michigan
2 Bama
3 Washington/Oregon winner
4 Georgia (btw love Michigan going against Georgia)
---
5 FSU
6 Ohio State
7 Texas
8 Pac XII loser
9 Mizzou
10 Penn State
By the way, speaking about the media love affair with Bama, I was shocked when I saw earlier this week on the one of the college football shows that they had Milroe has one of their Heisman Trophy finalists. That's absurd.

#1 - Michigan
#2 - Florida State
#4 - Oregon

I’m hoping Iowa wins

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT