ADVERTISEMENT

K Lee Rumor

He's played in 5 games so it doesn't make a ton of sense for him to leave now but he only has, what, 25-30 carries this year so why stay when 2 freshmen have passed you

He's played in 5 games so it doesn't make a ton of sense for him to leave now but he only has, what, 25-30 carries this year so why stay when 2 freshmen have passed you
What I don’t understand is why he would quit now since if I understand things correctly he can’t portal out until the end of the year.

What I don’t understand is why he would quit now since if I understand things correctly he can’t portal out until the end of the year.
You're correct--he's not able to enter the portal but maybe he's unhappy here with playing time and other things (misses home?) and just decided to leave? Who knows.

Hopefully it works out for him. We have 2 backs that are better.

• Sad
Reactions: PSUfiji
Surprised? Nope as many saw this coming. Once again not the best roster management. What was once 5 is now 2! Unbelievable.
I criticize Franklin for a lot of things but it's hard to keep other backs around when you're best two backs are true freshmen. Not sure what anyone thinks could have been done here. Lee wasn't very effective.

Maybe they should recruit at least one 3 star RB , a PA kid that really wants to be at Penn State that’s not going to haul ass when things aren’t going his way
Ehhh--why wouldn't that 3 star leave as well to play somewhere?
The days of kids sticking around to watch others plays are virtually done. We'll see more and more kids "portal" every year.

Ehhh--why wouldn't that 3 star leave as well to play somewhere?
The days of kids sticking around to watch others plays are virtually done. We'll see more and more kids "portal" every year.
Perhaps if Franklin maybe recruited a three star is actually a student who might graduate it might help?

So he was with the team tonight less than an hour ago? Too early to call BS on this?

Perhaps if Franklin maybe recruited a three star is actually a student who might graduate it might help?
But...why can't they transfer and still graduate?
I understand that most hate the portal, I get it, but I don't see any reason why a kid wouldn't leave Penn State (or Bama, Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia, etc) to go somewhere and play. If they truly love the game why sit?

Lee is still on the PSU roster at gopsusports. If he had left the team PSU would likely have updated the roster by now.

He could have just had a personal issue to take care of on Wednesday, but Franklin could have and I believe should have put the rumor mill to rest with a brief explanation which could have been done without any breech of Lee's privacy. Like "we fully expect Lee to be back or ready for this weekend's game". Franklin's secrecy at times leads to needless and sometimes negative speculation.

Lee is still on the PSU roster at gopsusports. If he had left the team PSU would likely have updated the roster by now.

He could have just had a personal issue to take care of on Wednesday, but Franklin could have and I believe should have put the rumor mill to rest with a brief explanation which could have been done without any breech of Lee's privacy. Like "we fully expect Lee to be back or ready for this weekend's game". Franklin's secrecy at times leads to needless and sometimes negative speculation.
I agree but Franklin doesn't care if fans like us or media are concerned.

Correct. The original post about K Lee leaving the team was NOT TRUE as of last night (Thursday). There are pictures on social media of K Lee at Nittanyville at 8/9 pm Thursday night.

The rumor most likely spread because K Lee missed practice on Wednesday, which Franklin acknowledged at his Wednesday press conference. But unfortunately Franklin did not want to discuss K Lee's status and future on the team so that's why the 'rumor' started. To the original poster's rumor post, Franklin should have stated at his press conference that K Lee is committed to the team and that he is excited to see him play in Saturday's game, but Franklin did not do that so interpret the situation however you want.

Franklin did say yesterday that K Lee was not in class and not at practice.
Reporter: We didn't see Kevyone Lee today. I don't know if he was in class or?

Franklin: Yeah, Keyvone was not out here, he was not in class. That's accurate. As you know I'm not gonna get into...

If you pick JF's words apart and consider the wording of the question (this could be a stretch, I know) it sounds like JF, in a snarky way, is saying Lee was not absent from practice because he was in class. He really doesn't say KL is no longer attending classes.

Reactions: TexasLion1979
JF Fan.....but this is the part where he could do a much, much better job in communicating.

"KL had some stuff going on so we excused him from practice today and that is why you didn't see him."

Is that really that hard? Does that really give Minnesota the upper hand this weekend.

Believe it or not these are some of the things I believe holds the team back. Not what a player is doing. But this is Franklin trying to be the smartest guy in the room. He is a control freak.

JF Fan.....but this is the part where he could do a much, much better job in communicating.

"KL had some stuff going on so we excused him from practice today and that is why you didn't see him."

Is that really that hard? Does that really give Minnesota the upper hand this weekend.

Believe it or not these are some of the things I believe holds the team back. Not what a player is doing. But this is Franklin trying to be the smartest guy in the room. He is a control freak.
You know what? It’s none of our business. Let James manage his kids. Talking to the media is very low on his priorities and he has no desire to share his 105 sons, as he says, situations. He will allow them to do it if they want. Btw, every coach is a control freak, I did it for 15 plus years and certainly was. As a svp in my company, I’m one there too. Control what you can.

You know what? It’s none of our business. Let James manage his kids. Talking to the media is very low on his priorities and he has no desire to share his 105 sons, as he says, situations. He will allow them to do it if they want. Btw, every coach is a control freak, I did it for 15 plus years and certainly was. As a svp in my company, I’m one there too. Control what you can.
Can you read? I never said it was out business. I simply said James could do a better job when he is at the podium while still not saying anything.

But thank god you got to drop in a fing message board that you were a coach. I feel so much more impressed with your posts now. How did the 10u Curwensville soccer Team do while you were at the helm.

Reactions: crm114psu
I think Lee was pretty s

He didn't have breakaway speed but he was good grinding out yards between the tackles.
I wonder, if I am allowed to wonder since I didn't coach for 15 years like some on this board, if Lee sees himself as that kind of runner. I agree with your point at what he does very well. Problem is, if he doesn't see himself that way. He then becomes disgruntled.

If you really were an SVP, then you also know that dealing with the public in a way that doesn’t lead to rumors is something leaders should be doing. Senior company executives get asked all the time about things by stock analysts that could influence the stock price. If they acted like Franklin does the stock would tank

If you really were an SVP, then you also know that dealing with the public in a way that doesn’t lead to rumors is something leaders should be doing. Senior company executives get asked all the time about things by stock analysts that could influence the stock price. If they acted like Franklin does the stock would tank
First, I completely agree with you. I also have a vision of he MN defensive braintrust rushing back to their meeting room and redesigning their gameplan to account for the possible loss of our 3rd string RB.

You're correct--he's not able to enter the portal but maybe he's unhappy here with playing time and other things (misses home?) and just decided to leave? Who knows.

Hopefully it works out for him. We have 2 backs that are better.
But 5 star Ohio St WRs and QBs who sit the bench for a couple years should stay right? Even when we have seen recent examples of an Ohio St benchwarmer QB and WR transfer to the SEC and become All-Americans and very high 1st round draft picks at their new school even winning the Heisman there. Yet they couldn't get consistently on the field in Columbus.

But 5 star Ohio St WRs and QBs who sit the bench for a couple years should stay right? Even when we have seen recent examples of an Ohio St benchwarmer QB and WR transfer to the SEC and become All-Americans and very high 1st round draft picks at their new school even winning the Heisman there. Yet they couldn't get consistently on the field in Columbus.
the difference is Lee can see he's not going to get an opportunity here. The tOSU people are simply waiting for their turn.

the difference is Lee can see he's not going to get an opportunity here. The tOSU people are simply waiting for their turn.
And each year new 5 stars come in. Some waiting their turns never get that turn when a Smith-Njigba shows up. Bottom line is that Ohio St was sitting the #1 overall draft pick and Heisman winner Joe Burrow and Jameson Williams was selected as 1st team All-American at Alabama OVER the Ohio St WRs that he couldn't beat out. For quite a few that opportunity will never come.

I was just looking yesterday at florida guys on roster from prior recruiting classes.

2018 0-2
2019 0-3
2020 1-2 with Lee being 1
2021 0-0
2022 3 on roster.

Miner had career ended. Things like this affect overall level of a recruiting class. Most of the guys that left haven’t done anything elsewhere either.

And each year new 5 stars come in. Some waiting their turns never get that turn when a Smith-Njigba shows up. Bottom line is that Ohio St was sitting the #1 overall draft pick and Heisman winner Joe Burrow and Jameson Williams was selected as 1st team All-American at Alabama OVER the Ohio St WRs that he couldn't beat out. For quite a few that opportunity will never come.
keep watching. tOSU is going to have a lot of upper classpersons leave this year, after being passed up by underclasspersons. Burrow, is a perfect case in point and is used as an example of why leave via the portal if passed over. Previous to the portal, Russell Wilson when he left NCS to go to Wiscy as a grad student.

But...why can't they transfer and still graduate?
I understand that most hate the portal, I get it, but I don't see any reason why a kid wouldn't leave Penn State (or Bama, Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia, etc) to go somewhere and play. If they truly love the game why sit?
I get wanting to play. But I think there needs to be better education about the raw numbers of the portal and what transferring means in terms of academic progress.

Academically, transferring between schools is not a zero loss process. Some credits may not transfer. Your course work to date might not fulfill the requirements of whatever new degree you are pursuing. There may be "catch up" courses you need to take at the new school. These are all considerations that *should* be made before a player transfers. My guess is not that many think about this (or are informed enough to make a good decision). It is also a consideration whether (post-football) a degree from PSU or Michigan or UNC or Virginia is more valuable than a degree from Akron or Tulsa (it may or may not be, depending on your field, but it is a consideration).

Additionally, I would like to see some statistics about players who enter the portal but never find a new school. I saw some estimates of that early on (i.e. way more players in the portal than there could possibly be spots for them) but haven't seen much follow up.

I think there is a place for the portal, but I think some things need tweaking and I think players need to be better educated about the ramifications of transferring.

You're assuming the transferring player cares. I'll bet a lot of them don't.
They may not care, but that education (about process and the ramifications) should still occur so they can make an informed decision.

And not to get too far off topic, but this is why there needs to be a "G league" for football. If you don't want to "play school", don't go to college. Period.

Maybe they should recruit at least one 3 star RB , a PA kid that really wants to be at Penn State , who won’t come in feeling entitled, and who won’t be hauling ass when things aren’t going his way. Do they still exist?
Hopefully it is a rumor as some other posters stated.. However, beginning to wonder if it's worth the time and effort recruiting Florida. Too many are not even staying @ Penn State for two-three years. Might need to rethink recruiting strategy and double efforts in DMV, PA, NJ, and New England. Closer to home for the players. There is plenty of talent, just need to work harder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Agoodnap
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT