ADVERTISEMENT

Kaden Saunders puts the fans on notice.

Maybe he should watch the tv broadcast replay and hear what Riddick, Galloway and that Michigan homer who is hard to understand have to say.

Then he/they then need to prove everyone except their parents wrong.

Hope he is right.

Reactions: mhlarch
So what’s the problem?

Saunders did nothing today and has done nothing .

He ran a crossing route that Allar threw behind him. He was open, had a step, and the ball comes right behind his hip. Ceedee Lamb might have caught it, but it was 3rd down and the route was run 2 yards shy of the 1st down marker; an in stride throw, catch and run would have gotten a first down at a minimum.

Though I agree. He has done nothing. He also only gets 1 target every other game. I don't even think our WRs had over 5 targets before Clifford got them on the board. That, in and of itself, is a problem.

Not to rag on the kid- but hopefully he realizes that at this level EVERYONE has "talent."

The difference becomes those who make the plays. Tyler Warren makes plays. Parker Washington made plays.

Jahan Dotson and Chris Godwin had the "talent" to make bad throws turn into big catches with RAC.

It is not 100% on him nor his peers. I did like how Seider and Howle rotated seemingly every wr who could walk into the game. 1/2/3/4/5/6/7 not sure if I saw 11. They all got their chances.

Allar had an awful game. The fan shot of the woman after the lame duck int was awesome. They stayed on the image long enough that you could see her say: " what the f_ _ _ was that?"

I think we all shared those sentiments about passes to anyone who was not a TE yesterday. Subpar perfprmance is maybe too generous for the pitchers and catchers.

Lotsa work to do. Who will step up?

Coach K needs to come in and immediately claim all positions are up for grabs including QB. No sacred cows… not sure Allar is the guy. Has happy feet, misses open guys, and doesn’t appear to have a high IQ. Beau needs to work hard on throwing and arm strength. He could thrive in the new K offense.

So what’s the problem?

Saunders did nothing today and has done nothing .
What have you couch wussies done other than crying, whining, kicking and pouting on social media?

Have you even called the Nittany NIL tools and told them to get competitive or just shutdown. Do you think the play calling ritual and ignoring the run game contribute to the passing game woes...
Did the wide open receivers throw uncatchable passes.

This offense and program right now have many ills. The wideouts are just the whipping boy du jour! Nothing short of a program wide thorough look at itself and a realistic reset will fix this.

What have you couch wussies done other than crying, whining, kicking and pouting on social media?

Have you even called the Nittany NIL tools and told them to get competitive or just shutdown. Do you think the play calling ritual and ignoring the run game contribute to the passing game woes...
Did the wide open receivers throw uncatchable passes.

This offense and program right now have many ills. The wideouts are just the whipping boy du jour! Nothing short of a program wide thorough look at itself and a realistic reset will fix this.
They dropped plenty of catchable balls on the few times they actually got open

Reactions: psu00
For me the play that kind of summed up Penn State's problems was when #5 ran down the sideline, couldn't get any separation and he's 4 inches shorter than the corner blanketing him, so he just shoves the corner out of the way (and gets flagged for offensive PI) and then the pass goes through his arms anyway. I guess you have to give credit for effort.

But yeah, for sure QB is an equal part of the problem. Poor Allar is pretty bad and getting worse, he's lost confidence and his throwing has lost all accuracy. He is probably playing at about a Dayle Tate level, which is to say about as bad as it gets for QBs at PSU.

Probably he should transfer and start fresh at a new place. It's unfortunate but it's the way it is in college football -- sometimes players don't really have what you think they have at the time they're recruited.

PSU needs to recruit size at wideout and mobility at QB, which is generally what top 25 programs do these days.

PSU has a lot of wideouts who were highly productive in high school, but the top programs passed on them because they're too small for their speed. These were highly rated by recruiting services but they're not the type of wideouts you see at top 10 programs or even top 20. Yeah some of the PSU guys were 4 stars but it's clear they don't have the athletic ability needed at this level.

Last edited:
It does seem really odd how many wide receivers Penn State has and non of them can get seperation. Is Franklin that bad in evaluating talent, or is it bad schemes, or is Allar is that bad?
On the radio they said Old Miss had 3 WR that were like Chris Godwin, why can't Franklin find any?

Reactions: psu00
Seider's quote in The Athletic was telling and confirms the prevailing thought that the WR room had zero leadership.

"We’re young and we just need some kids to grow up,” Seider said of the receivers. “We’ve recruited well. It’s time to be an adult a little bit. That’s the word you gotta use. You get what you put into it.”

The issue is both that they have talent it’s that the talent isn’t top tier D1 talent

Seider's quote in The Athletic was telling and confirms the prevailing thought that the WR room had zero leadership.

"We’re young and we just need some kids to grow up,” Seider said of the receivers. “We’ve recruited well. It’s time to be an adult a little bit. That’s the word you gotta use. You get what you put into it.”

Saunders responding to noise on Twitter supports this. Last place his focus should be

Coach K needs to come in and immediately claim all positions are up for grabs including QB. No sacred cows… not sure Allar is the guy. Has happy feet, misses open guys, and doesn’t appear to have a high IQ. Beau needs to work hard on throwing and arm strength. He could thrive in the new K offense.
I still think that Beau brings a little bit more excitement to this offense (this one not maybe the next one). It might very well be that allar's style doesn't fit with kotelnicky's offense. Allar in the current offense reminds me of hackenberg in Franklin's offense..wrong fit

I still think that Beau brings a little bit more excitement to this offense (this one not maybe the next one). It might very well be that allar's style doesn't fit with kotelnicky's offense. Allar in the current offense reminds me of hackenberg in Franklin's offense..wrong fit
It's like having Shaq on your team and having him assist in bringing the ball up the court.

Unlike the pros where you have the opportunity to select players based on your system, in college you try to assemble the best array of talent that you can assemble across all positions. Then piece them together to accentuate their strengths.

Both individually and collectively.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
I am sure that most everything in this thread has a little to do with all of this but we have had short receivers that were great and proset Qbs flourish in the right system.

Are we too TE dependent? Where is the development of the Miega's and taller wideouts since Godwin? Does our pitiful NIL policy turn away upper echelon wide receivers... Most on this board claim to be free market advocates except....

Saunders remarks may be immature to you all. But to pin this all on one room only... Is not reasonable.

Maybe a real WR coach might help, too.

Reactions: Westcoast24
For me the play that kind of summed up Penn State's problems was when #5 ran down the sideline, couldn't get any separation and he's 4 inches shorter than the corner blanketing him, so he just shoves the corner out of the way (and gets flagged for offensive PI) and then the pass goes through his arms anyway. I guess you have to give credit for effort.

But yeah, for sure QB is an equal part of the problem. Poor Allar is pretty bad and getting worse, he's lost confidence and his throwing has lost all accuracy. He is probably playing at about a Dayle Tate level, which is to say about as bad as it gets for QBs at PSU.

Probably he should transfer and start fresh at a new place. It's unfortunate but it's the way it is in college football -- sometimes players don't really have what you think they have at the time they're recruited.

PSU needs to recruit size at wideout and mobility at QB, which is generally what top 25 programs do these days. Allar demonstrates the pitfalls of recruiting QBs on the basis of throwing accuracy in drills. Throwing ability in games is a totally different thing.
I said two years ago when everybody was so stoked about getting Allar, the fact that Ohio State didn't give him much attention told me everything I need to know about the kid. Moreover, it was Yurcich who targeted him and he is not even here. If I had one wish to make it would be that Franklin starts to realize you can't recruit pro style big arm QBs to play the style of offense he seems to prefer. You get an Allar type you MUST go pro-style to give him more play action. That fact that Franklin keeps bringing in this type of QB and attempting to force the to play a style they are not suited to play is so incredibly frustrating. Let Pribula run that style and you might like the results. As yesterday proved in today's college football winning starts with scoring points on a consistent basis... great defenses can only carry you so far.

Last edited:
I didn’t believe this at first, but now I do. I think Beau would have been the better fit for 2023 and perhaps 1 or 2 of those losses are a win.

Reactions: 81b&w and lilromeo
Well I guess we will have to wait until Kotelnicki is in charge to find out the answer to that, huh?

As yesterday proved in today's college football winning starts with scoring points on a consistent basis... great defenses can only carry you so far.

We didn't bring the great defense yesterday. I'm not sure that we beat them with our offense regardless of opt outs, but if you take away their top 2 receiving options and best OL, they probably don't score 38 either. Definitely if we only had 1 opt out.

But all things aren't even.

Reactions: psualt
I didn’t believe this at first, but now I do. I think Beau would have been the better fit for 2023 and perhaps 1 or 2 of those losses are a win.
Ah yes 65 years and counting. Some fans’ favorite player is always the back up QB. I thought Pribula did a great job of throwing that lateral to Allar 10 yards over his head and 5 yards wide.

PSU needs to recruit size at wideout and mobility at QB, which is generally what top 25 programs do these days. Allar demonstrates the pitfalls of recruiting QBs on the basis of throwing accuracy in drills. Throwing ability in games is a totally different thing.
I’ll cut 5 some slack on that play. That pass should have been another two yards to the sideline where only he could catch it. As it was, it was short and inside and pulled him to the defenders.

We didn't bring the great defense yesterday. I'm not sure that we beat them with our offense regardless of opt outs, but if you take away their top 2 receiving options and best OL, they probably don't score 38 either. Definitely if we only had 1 opt out.

But all things aren't even.
To their credit Mississippi took full advantage of both starting corners and our best defensive player, Chop, (all high draft choices) being out. Things got worse when Carter got hurt on a missed chop block when he was engaged with someone else. Oh well great experience for the young players. Looking forward to seeing how the team plays now that the new coordinators will be taking over.

I mean, do you really think he's going to agree that the WR room isn't good enough when he's part of it?
The last thing he wants is less PT.

Saunders responding to noise on Twitter supports this. Last place his focus should be
Lambert Smith is also attacking people on Twitter, especially those he says that have never played the game and shouldn't comment. What an absolute clown

But why would we expect anything less? The head coach is soft mentally and so is the team. That's the most discouraging thing not as much losing the games, but as to see how fragile we are built.

I understand why Seider says this, it's the right thing to say. You certainly don't admit to the world that your wideout room doesn't have enough talent to be competitive.

But it's really just demonstrably wrong. The PSU wideout room doesn't have size, doesn't have speed, and most importantly doesn't have ball skills. They have recruited some 4 stars who were great high school players but don't have the size, given their speed, to be successful at this level. Maybe because of the constant coaching turnover, they are just way behind other top 25-30 programs in wideout recruiting. And once your wideout room stinks, then that becomes another drag on recruiting.

Not that wideouts are the only problem. A good quarterback could have made a relatively productive passing game this year but Allar just lost confidence and his throwing became (and may have been from the beginning) wildly inconsistent. He can sometimes make a brilliant throw 30 yards downfield but he can't even throw short crossing routes (let alone throws to the backs) consistently.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8

Rip likes this post even when he doesn't think there are any problems with the receivers

I understand why Seider says this, it's the right thing to say. You certainly don't admit to the world that your wideout room doesn't have enough talent to be competitive.

But it's really just demonstrably wrong. The PSU wideout room doesn't have size, doesn't have speed, and most importantly doesn't have ball skills. They have recruited some 4 stars who were great high school players but don't have the size, given their speed, to be successful at this level. Maybe because of the constant coaching turnover, they are just way behind other top 25-30 programs in wideout recruiting. And once your wideout room stinks, then that becomes another drag on recruiting.

Not that wideouts are the only problem. A good quarterback could have made a relatively productive passing game this year but Allar just lost confidence and his throwing became (and may have been from the beginning) wildly inconsistent. He can sometimes make a brilliant throw 30 yards downfield but he can't even throw short crossing routes (let alone throws to the backs) consistently.
Great points...this room is smurfs with zero ball skills, ability to hang onto the ball after contact, or do anything with it after the catch. All falls on the type of WRs james brings in.

But I love that Seider made those comments public. This WR group needs a ton of maturity and growing up. Amazing that it seems none of them have any

his throwing became (and may have been from the beginning) wildly inconsistent.

I am going with may have been from the beginning based on my untrained eye viewing the clips posted here from recruiting up to the present.

I mean, do you really think he's going to agree that the WR room isn't good enough when he's part of it?
The last thing he wants is less PT.
To your point, I agree.

But….he's the one that decided to take to social media instead of letting his play do the talking. Seems a silly island to create and stand on.

Reactions: scrivener
When you aren't player led, it shows. That WR room, obviously, has less than zero leadership.

Meanwhile, a guy like Curtis Jacobs, who was typically polite, and well spoken in interviews, conveys a true appreciation for Penn State. It's no wonder he was a good player who didn't seem to be a problem.

But, the offense seems to lack leaders all over the place and just don't appear to be a self-aware and likable group.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
To your point, I agree.

But….he's the one that decided to take to social media instead of letting his play do the talking. Seems a silly island to create and stand on.
Fair but he's, what, 20? They see social media differently than I do. And probably you do

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT