ADVERTISEMENT

Kaytron is our RB1

Eh, I don’t know if he’s a clear #1 over Singleton - I will say the RB position is more situational than ever though.

Singleton is still the clear better receiver and pass protector of the two. At some point, Singleton will pop a big one and we’ll remember his game changing ability.

But on most drives, starting inside of our own territory, I’m probably leaning Allen to get the offense in the groove and ahead of schedule.

Eh, I don’t know if he’s a clear #1 over Singleton - I will say the RB position is more situational than ever though.

Singleton is still the clear better receiver and pass protector of the two. At some point, Singleton will pop a big one and we’ll remember his game changing ability.

But on most drives, starting inside of our own territory, I’m probably leaning Allen to get the offense in the groove and ahead of schedule.
Not sure why we have to pick one, we have both and can use both. That would be like old time Steeler fans arguing over who was better, Swann or Stallworth….what difference does it make?

Except that it worked the other way around today. Singleton started and was doing fine. After the OL settled in and started opening holes Allen came in and ran well. Allen may be running a little better to say that the gap between the two is huge is nonsense. As you point out Singleton is the better receiver and pass blocker. PSU needs to do a better job of getting him in space.

Reactions: dswartz
At 6.6 yards per carry and 225 yards overall Beau Pribula certainly gets honorable mention as far as good running is concerned. Good Lord he looked good running the ball yesterday and in other games. But it concerns me a lot he’s not throwing the ball more. If Allar goes down his game reps throwing the ball are lacking for the amount of time he’s played. Moreover, the whole point of getting him reps is so our back up is better prepared if the starter goes down. A hard lesson from two years ago at Iowa. I don’t care if it’s considered bad form if we have a big lead. He needs the work throwing the ball in games and that’s more important to me.

At 6.6 yards per carry and 225 yards overall Beau Pribula certainly gets honorable mention as far as good running is concerned. Good Lord he looked good running the ball yesterday and in other games. But it concerns me a lot he’s not throwing the ball more. If Allar goes down his game reps throwing the ball are lacking for the amount of time he’s played. Moreover, the whole point of getting him reps is so our back up is better prepared if the starter goes down. A hard lesson from two years ago at Iowa. I don’t care if it’s considered bad form if we have a big lead. He needs the work throwing the ball in games and that’s more important to me.
Things to complain about when there’s nothing to complain about for $200, Alex.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Allen has better vision and is more patient. He also generally comes in on the third series where the offensive line has had time to figure things out. Part of the reason Singleton has more runs for losses, is due to the game planning in line play early on.

I’d like to see Allen start the game this coming week and then maybe have Singleton hit a slightly more tired defense while the line has made adjustments. I think he could pop one off tackle or maybe if they run left a little bit more he can get some more room.

I agree that beau should’ve had a few more attempts throwing the ball. I’m not real worried because it will require the opposing team to change their defense for the rest of the game. Beau is a significantly better runner and the ability to use the RPO will create enough disorganization on the defense where we can do some things

Last edited:
If Drew goes down we would have to revamp our whole offense, so a few passes in mop up duty isn’t going to make a difference.
Whatever way you ”revamp” the offense it will STILL undoubtedly involve throwing the ball. Beau needs more game reps throwing the ball. Moreover, running the ball so much in his game reps increases the risk of injury to him. And he is playing more than just a few minutes.

Whatever way you ”revamp” the offense it will STILL undoubtedly involve throwing the ball. Beau needs more game reps throwing the ball. Moreover, running the ball so much in his game reps increases the risk of injury to him. And he is playing more than just a few minutes.
My guess is if Drew gets hurt and Beau takes over, we will shift to an almost entire running game with Beau and the RB’s, so again, a few passes in mop up duty won’t make much of a difference.

You're 100% correct

You’re free to “guess” whatever you want but you need to be able to pass the ball in today’s game. You become too one dimensional going that route. That makes it much easier for the defense. Moreover, we have had some difficulties (at times) running the ball. And if Beau had more game reps actually throwing the ball it likely would not necessitate resorting to such a drastic one dimensional approach which is my whole point.

My guess is if Drew gets hurt and Beau takes over, we will shift to an almost entire running game with Beau and the RB’s, so again, a few passes in mop up duty won’t make much of a difference.
And that would spell D I S A S A S T E R in big games.

Was very disappointing Beau didn’t throw 7-10 passes. He needs to experience game speed and chaos. Lot different than practice.

Am secretly hoping that Beau looks tremendous in practice and CJF/Yurcich are keeping him as a secret weapon.

And that would spell D I S A S A S T E R in big games.

Was very disappointing Beau didn’t throw 7-10 passes. He needs to experience game speed and chaos. Lot different than practice.

Am secretly hoping that Beau looks tremendous in practice and CJF/Yurcich are keeping him as a secret weapon.
Yeah because throwing against UMass is the same speed as throwing against OSU. He gets more valuable snaps in practice against our defense.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Tank was the only rb with an explosive play today! But seriously, we are blessed to have a 50-50 split at rb1. And to have a legitimate backup in Potts is a luxury for sure.
For some reason Potts only got 1 carry. Singleton got 15.

It's been 6 games including UMass & Delaware and Singleton hasn't hit a big one yet. There is something different maybe he's bulked up too much as some have said. Who knows but he's either not getting to the spot where he can use the afterburners or the afterburners aren't quite what they were last year.

It's been 6 games including UMass & Delaware and Singleton hasn't hit a big one yet. There is something different maybe he's bulked up too much as some have said. Who knows but he's either not getting to the spot where he can use the afterburners or the afterburners aren't quite what they were last year.

He weighs roughly the same as last year.

Singleton hasn’t lost a step, you just don’t lose speed. Franklin touched on this in a recent presser, but it’s almost like Singleton is too focused on what he’s been coached in the offseason. He’s thinking rather than just going which has resulted in hesitation and hitting the wrong holes. Sophomore slump? Yeah, to a degree. But defenses are also more focused on his home run ability than ever. I think he’s due for a big one soon, hopefully it’s a game changer against the buckeyes.

Reactions: bison13 and 81b&w
He weighs roughly the same as last year.

Singleton hasn’t lost a step, you just don’t lose speed. Franklin touched on this in a recent presser, but it’s almost like Singleton is too focused on what he’s been coached in the offseason. He’s thinking rather than just going which has resulted in hesitation and hitting the wrong holes. Sophomore slump? Yeah, to a degree. But defenses are also more focused on his home run ability than ever. I think he’s due for a big one soon, hopefully it’s a game changer against the buckeyes.
Several other issues. We haven’t hit long balls to keep dbacks back. We haven’t been using TEs much at all which would draw the linebackers away. We don’t have an RPO Qb now to distract the D.

Running backs often try too hard for the home run run and as such look too much for a big hole. Best to hit a small crease, get three yards into the next level, and then make you cuts to to go long. I noticed this way back in the Steelers/ Franco days. He started stopping at the LOS of scrimmage and danced looking to make big runs. Just hit the hole and then run to daylight.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13

I was glad to see Singleton with the ball in his left hand yesterday when running left. Seemed in the past, and on the kickoff he fumbled at Northwestern, he starts running to the left with the ball in his right hand. Barkley often did the same. i always think it's looks unnatural, and is just asking for trouble.

Allen has better vision and is more patient. He also generally comes in on the third series where the offensive line has had time to figure things out. Part of the reason Singleton has more runs for losses, is due to the game planning in line play early on.

I’d like to see Allen start the game this coming week and then maybe have Singleton hit a slightly more tired defense while the line has made adjustments. I think he could pop one off tackle or maybe if they run left a little bit more he can get some more room.
Not true. Allen has more starts that Singleton this year.

Not sure why Singleton has regressed, but he has.

Allen is PSU’s best overall football player. He can make 5-6 yards out of literally nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeParulz
Several other issues. We haven’t hit long balls to keep dbacks back. We haven’t been using TEs much at all which would draw the linebackers away. We don’t have an RPO Qb now to distract the D.

Running backs often try too hard for the home run run and as such look too much for a big hole. Best to hit a small crease, get three yards into the next level, and then make you cuts to to go long. I noticed this way back in the Steelers/ Franco days. He started stopping at the LOS of scrimmage and danced looking to make big runs. Just hit the hole and then run to daylight.
Neither running back has a lot of miss in their moves. After yesterday's first punt return TD, the only thing I could think of is why isn't Hardy getting reps on the offensive side of the ball. That guy is scary if you get the ball in his hands.

Neither running back has a lot of miss in their moves. After yesterday's first punt return TD, the only thing I could think of is why isn't Hardy getting reps on the offensive side of the ball. That guy is scary if you get the ball in his hands.
Disagree. Allen is shifty and slippery. He makes quick lateral moves making guys miss or just get an arm on him.

Singleton can make good cuts and then explode past a tackler.

Disagree. Allen is shifty and slippery. He makes quick lateral moves making guys miss or just get an arm on him.

Singleton can make good cuts and then explode past a tackler.
Can? or Does? Because we haven't seen it. Allen is shifty......that is not the same as Saquon faking guys out of their jock strap.

Reactions: scrivener
Not true. Allen has more starts that Singleton this year.

Not sure whyvSibgletoj has regressed, but he has.

Allen is PSU’s best overall football player. He can make 5-6 yards out of literally nothing.
Allen started against Delaware and Iowa. Singleton has started the other four games. if you don’t believe me, go back and watch them or read the play-by-play.

the only thing I could think of is why isn't Hardy getting reps on the offensive side of the ball.

In a WR room that has searched for play makers, it would not hurt to give Hardy a shot on some screens and perhaps even a deep ball.

It worked on punt return yesterday.

Reactions: LandoComando
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT