ADVERTISEMENT

Keystone Classic - November 18th

dmm53

Feb 4, 2017
The World Championships are in the books. The NCAA College season is upon us. Penn State has Kent State on Nov. 11 followed by the Keystone tournament at U. Penn in Philly on Nov. 18th.

Here are the 11 teams:

Penn, Appalachian State, Drexel, Eastern Michigan, Franklin & Marshall, Harvard, Northwestern, Penn State, Rider, Sacred Heart, VMI.

Who will PSU send out at 125? I'm guessing we see both Berge and Verkleeren at 149 and both Nevills and Cassar at 285. Probably RBY at 133. Who else goes? Manville?

How many wrestlers can a team put on the mat? Last year, Penn State sent 18. I believe redshirts are excluded. Here are the 2017 results:

https://gopsusports.com/news/2017/11/19/WR_Nittany_Lions_Win_Keystone_Classic.aspx

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw
My guess. You’ll see Teasdale and Schnupp at 125. RBY at 133. And Manville goes as well as the rest you mentioned.

Whoever is winning the 125 wars in the room should be day 1 starter. I’m assuming it’s Teasdale.

Where is Youngguns when you need him??

I’d hate to see Schnupp as starter until Scuffle if the other two are clearly better

Ranked wrestlers (other than PSU). FLO rankings:

125 - Sebastian Rivera (NW) #3
133 - Colin Valdiviez (NW) #15
141 - Yahya Thomas (NW) #20
157 - Ryan Deakin (NW) #7
197 - Zach Chakonis #19
285 - Conan Jennings (NW) #10
285 Joey Goodhart ( Drexel) #18
285 Antonio Pelusi (F&M) #29

So, whoever goes at 125 will have a huge test against Rivera. Will Cael wait on sending out either Teasdale or Teske until the Scuffle? Nolf vs. Deakin should be good. Zain barely majored him in the finals last year at 149. I suspect that Cassar might get Jennings in the semis and that Nevills would get either Goodhart or Pelusi on his side of the bracket (assuming Cassar and Nevills are separated as they should be). That sets up a potential finals of Cassar vs. Nevills.

And once again, the Philadelphia Marathon is taking place on the same day as the Keystone Classic.

The course map is the same, so the racers will be on Chestnut Street, a block and a half from the Palestra. I presume that the same restrictions on driving/parking will be in effect.

Ranked wrestlers (other than PSU). FLO rankings:

125 - Sebastian Rivera (NW) #3
133 - Colin Valdiviez (NW) #15
141 - Yahya Thomas (NW) #20
157 - Ryan Deakin (NW) #7
197 - Zach Chakonis #19
285 - Conan Jennings (NW) #10
285 Joey Goodhart ( Drexel) #18
285 Antonio Pelusi (F&M) #29

So, whoever goes at 125 will have a huge test against Rivera. Will Cael wait on sending out either Teasdale or Teske until the Scuffle? Nolf vs. Deakin should be good. Zain barely majored him in the finals last year at 149. I suspect that Cassar might get Jennings in the semis and that Nevills would get either Goodhart or Pelusi on his side of the bracket (assuming Cassar and Nevills are separated as they should be). That sets up a potential finals of Cassar vs. Nevills.

Strange: I just looked on Northwestern's schedule and don't see the Keystone Classic. It lists a match against VA Tech that day. Odd because the Keystone Classic website included Northwestern as a team participating. If the case, this will be unfortunate because Northwestern was really the only team with multiple ranked guys besides PSU.
https://nusports.com/schedule.aspx?path=wrestling

Penn's website does not list Northwestern for the 2018 Keystone Classic.

Here is the Keystone Classic blurb from Penn's schedule announcement:
The 2018-19 home slate begins with the Keystone Classic on November 18. The Palestra will welcome 10 teams, including defending NCAA champion Penn State. Other teams set to compete in one of the nation's premier early-season tournaments include Appalachian State, Drexel, Duke, Franklin & Marshall, Harvard, Rider, Sacred Heart and VMI.

The OP's link above is for the 2017 event.

Reactions: pish69
What % do you give Penn St. sweeping all 10 weight classes? Depending on who they send out at 125 I'd say 95%. I could also see a few 1/2 finishes as well at 149, 174 and heavy.

What % do you give Penn St. sweeping all 10 weight classes? Depending on who they send out at 125 I'd say 95%. I could also see a few 1/2 finishes as well at 149, 174 and heavy.

Yes, highly likely. The wildcard is 125 and depends who goes. Curious to see the possible internal team matchups at 149 and 285. Might give a good indication of who gets the dual assignments until the Scuffle on Jan. 1 and 2 where there will be another chance to win the spot.

If Duke brings the full complement of Finesilvers, Mitch will be favored to win 149. He is probably the highest ranked non-PSU wrestler in the field and will be a great early season challenge for Berge and/or Verkleeren.

Last edited:
someone correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think redshirts can participate. i don't remember nick lee wrestling in it last year so i wouldn't but surprised to see teasdale/teske and RBY sit out this year.

Because redshirts are not able to compete at the Keystones Classic, is there any word of some of the freshman or greyshirts competing either at the Clarion Open or Princeton Open this coming weekend?

Because redshirts are not able to compete at the Keystones Classic, is there any word of some of the freshman or greyshirts competing either at the Clarion Open or Princeton Open this coming weekend?
May know something soon. Just a heads-up though, as registrants change up to the moment each tournament begins.

Reactions: rmg78 and psumacw

Roar would have a better sense (and it appears he answered while I was keying in this reply). For a lot of the Opens that PSU redshirts or backups wrestle in, they usually register the week of the Open. The Princeton Open appears to be less of an Open than its name would indicate. 13 teams, from as far away as Stanford and as close as Rider, have agreed to participate, and the Open has been full/closed for several months. It looks as though the Clarion Open doesn't show a list of registrants (though I didn't look too hard), so we may not know if any PSU wrestlers will be there until the brackets are posted the day of the Open.

Reactions: rmg78
Roar would have a better sense (and it appears he answered while I was keying in this reply). For a lot of the Opens that PSU redshirts or backups wrestle in, they usually register the week of the Open. The Princeton Open appears to be less of an Open than its name would indicate. 13 teams, from as far away as Stanford and as close as Rider, have agreed to participate, and the Open has been full/closed for several months. It looks as though the Clarion Open doesn't show a list of registrants (though I didn't look too hard), so we may not know if any PSU wrestlers will be there until the brackets are posted the day of the Open.
Maybe some insight on media day (when is that?)...
Anyone know when Cael's first 'radio show' is scheduled?

If Duke brings the full complement of Finesilvers, Mitch will be favored to win 149. He is probably the highest ranked non-PSU wrestler in the field and will be a great early season challenge for Berge and/or Verkleeren.

Yes. I think Finesilver is competing in the All Star Classic this Friday against Kolozdik who is ranked #1 in preseason. Flo might have the former ranked around #8.

I'm not sure about other PSU guys, but incoming Aaron Brooks is competing at a couple of upcoming tournaments according to his own father (and via another thread):

3 Cowboy Open (Wyoming University) 3pm EST on Flowrestling

10 UNC Open (University of Northern CO)

27-01 Martyrs Cup (Iran, Tehran) FS UWW 86kg

Maybe some insight on media day (when is that?)...
Anyone know when Cael's first 'radio show' is scheduled?
Last year, the Coaches Radio Shows started November 8th, or just prior to the Army Dual. Haven't heard yet, but suspect they will start next week.

East Stroudsburg Open is November 10 this year. 5 years Call brought a bunch of young kids including Nolf, Nevills, McCutchen and Ceasar (No Nickal). It was great. They put 8 mats out and you can walk on the mats to watch a bout up close and personal. I talked to both Cael and Cunningham,who were very accommodating. I remember I was standing next to Cael when Nolf came up to him and said "I think I'm going to pin everyone today".Cael just smiled.
I will always remember that day as when I truly became enamored with Sanderson and his demeanor. Unlike a lot of sports personalities, who turn it on for the camera, he truly is humble and gracious.

that it is. so far, no PSU wrestlers are registered, though as I noted in an earlier post, PSU backups and redshirts rarely register for Opens this far in advance.
That is because they do not know if they can handle any cuts, so what weight to wrestle is a concern. The other problem is the lack of a plan on who is redshirting and who isn't.;)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT