ADVERTISEMENT

Football Kirk Herbstreit high on Penn State's chances to make the CFP

Allar - our golden boy 5 star. Let’s hope he has made a monumental jump from last season.

God Bless Herbie. He seems to frequently have a good word for us. Too bad we can't get past his alma mater.

Many around the national media have the B1G top 3 of OSU, Oregon and PSU and I have to agree. All 3 have realistic chances of making the 12-team Playoffs. I honestly believe the NC will end up being either Oregon or OSU - both are absolutely LOADED

Reactions: NedFromYork
I agree with everything in this thread except the Rutgers part. Their program is an absolute joke.

Lower the bar and give participation trophy to all..now I like Franklin's chances = Herbie's real thoughts.

We'll see. I've been listening to this tune for several years now
The difference this year is that there are more seats available for the tournament.

Having a new offensive and defensive coordinator installing new systems on both sides of the ball is variable that we all hope works to our benefit.

Everybody wants to make the playoff tournament. And be actually competitive once you get there.

Kirk Herbstreit on Pat McAfee Show mentions Penn State as a threat to make the College Football Playoff.

"I think in the Big Ten, if their quarterback can step up, Drew Allar and Penn State are always a threat. They are close."

I would rate the PSU game as Ohio State's 2nd toughest game, even exceeding Michigan. I only see Oregon as the tougher game.

Reactions: NedFromYork
No but they also never had this schedule
Remember he's not saying they'll make it. He's picking a long shot based on schedule not talent.

He is saying they could make it. This is his dark horse playoff pick.

They will not make it even with a soft schedule because the schedule is soft. They can't beat anyone good if they don't play anyone good.

They will not make it even with a soft schedule because the schedule is soft. They can't beat anyone good if they don't play anyone good.

They would definitely have to win the ccg to get in.

I don't think you're grasping what a dark horse is. He has to pick a Big Ten or SEC team that isn't ranked. So you pick the one with the easiest schedule. It makes complete sense. He's saying if someone completely off the map makes it why not a team in the Big Ten that could win 10 games simply based on a weak schedule
Remember we can win 10 games without really beating anyone and we'd be guaranteed a spot.

I am not sure why anyone would be complementing Herbstreit for making this prediction . Most preseason polls have us finishing around 10+ or minus and we are widely reported as the largest beneficiary of the new playoff system. Herbsreit is a dbag that only talks us up before the PSU-OSU game. He’s just a homer for his own school and not very insightful.

I am not sure why anyone would be complementing Herbstreit for making this prediction . Most preseason polls have us finishing around 10+ or minus and we are widely reported as the largest beneficiary of the new playoff system. Herbsreit is a dbag that only talks us up before the PSU-OSU game. He’s just a homer for his own school and not very insightful.
Yet Ohio State fans don't think he supports them enough
Herbie is widely considered the best in the business
Your bias, not his, is the problem
I'm also unaware this is right before the "OSU-PSU" game
Herbie was right when he said Ohio State should have been in over us despite us beating them because we had 2 losses. Bad losses.

Reactions: scrivener
Herbie was right when he said Ohio State should have been in over us despite us beating them because we had 2 losses. Bad losses.
The 49-10 Michigan beatdown was the crusher. No way in he!! any 2-loss team gets in with that type of loss.

And if you didn't know the final score and looked at the stats, you'd have thought that OSU won that 2016 game.

Last edited:
Here is why we haven't beaten UM or tOSU in recent years

GTyVyjrWAAA7s4V

Making the statement that Penn State has a good shot to make the playoffs or whatever similar verbiage he used is not insightful. That's pretty much a Captain Obvious statement. We are picked to be third in the B10 by many in the media and if that plays out we are definitely in so what kind of new or interesting take is he providing? If he said something like we will get in or more of a risky/hot take/interesting statement then I could respect that. Did he also say the Chiefs have a good shot to make the NFL playoffs?

Making the statement that Penn State has a good shot to make the playoffs or whatever similar verbiage he used is not insightful. That's pretty much a Captain Obvious statement. We are picked to be third in the B10 by many in the media and if that plays out we are definitely in so what kind of new or interesting take is he providing? If he said something like we will get in or more of a risky/hot take/interesting statement then I could respect that. Did he also say the Chiefs have a good shot to make the NFL playoffs?
Many here don't think we can make the playoff let alone people nationally.
While this particular comment wasn't "very insightful" you claimed he's a homer and not insightful which is utterly false. You understand he puts on an act sometimes, right? And jokes about it because it's so obvious he's not serious when it comes to Ohio State
Whether or not you like him, he's considered the best in the business. So continue to allow you own bias influence how you see things.

Many here don't think we can make the playoff let alone people nationally.
While this particular comment wasn't "very insightful" you claimed he's a homer and not insightful which is utterly false. You understand he puts on an act sometimes, right? And jokes about it because it's so obvious he's not serious when it comes to Ohio State
Whether or not you like him, he's considered the best in the business. So continue to allow you own bias influence how you see things.
I never said I didn't like him in my post or
that he is a homer. Read it again. Take your bias somewhere else.

Making the generic statement that Penn State could make the playoff says nothing. They could or they could not and that is what a lot of people think. It would have been great if he said something like he thinks the odds are stacked against Penn Stste making the playoff and "he wouldn't bet on it". Now that would be fun and of course you would love that as you worship the guy. Lol.

Allar - our golden boy 5 star. Let’s hope he has made a monumental jump from last season.

Allar doesn't need a monumental jump. He was the victim of an OC whose unimaginative schemes and play calling were the Achilles heal of the offense. What is needed is a monumental jump in the OC's performance . We'll find out soon enough if we get one.

I never said I didn't like him in my post or
that he is a homer. Read it again. Take your bias somewhere else.

Making the generic statement that Penn State could make the playoff says nothing. They could or they could not and that is what a lot of people think. It would have been great if he said something like he thinks the odds are stacked against Penn Stste making the playoff and "he wouldn't bet on it". Now that would be fun and of course you would love that as you worship the guy. Lol.
Sorry LMT said that I apologize
There's no worship. I give him the credit he's earned whereas you clearly don't.

He's a good analyst but not the best.
Is he considered the best in the business? Not my you but by those in the industry. Blackledge is great but prepares for 1 game a week They're not truly comparable. Herbie has to be able to speak on all games at all times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT