ADVERTISEMENT

Lamar Jackson requests a trade from the Ravens

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
Wow. So LJ is, basically, threatening to hold out unless he gets the contract he wants. I wonder if the Ravens will step back from the two first-round picks that they've been asking for.

Personally, LJ is a great QB. The problem is that most of his talent revolves around his ability to run and create. He isn't the best pocket thrower. So perhaps he is closer to a RB than a QB in terms of risk. I am not sure any time will want to give him the guaranteed money he's looking for.

Requested a trade. He requested a trade on March 2nd, and being that it's the end of the month I'd say that all bridges have been burned and he'll not suit up for the Ravens again.

Plus with Baltimore putting the non-exclusive franchise tag on him the 2 first round picks are a requirement if another team gets Lamar to agree to a better deal. The Ravens can either match the deal or can say no thanks and they must receive the 2 first round picks.

Requested a trade. He requested a trade on March 2nd, and being that it's the end of the month I'd say that all bridges have been burned and he'll not suit up for the Ravens again.

Plus with Baltimore putting the non-exclusive franchise tag on him the 2 first round picks are a requirement if another team gets Lamar to agree to a better deal. The Ravens can either match the deal or can say no thanks and they must receive the 2 first round picks.
Thanks.

I believe all of those terms are negotiable. In other words, if Baltimore feels like all bridges have been burned and LJ will never play for them again, they can accept something less than two first-round picks. Lest they be stuck with a situation where LJ sits all year and the get nothing.

Wow. So LJ is, basically, threatening to hold out unless he gets the contract he wants. I wonder if the Ravens will step back from the two first-round picks that they've been asking for.

Personally, LJ is a great QB. The problem is that most of his talent revolves around his ability to run and create. He isn't the best pocket thrower. So perhaps he is closer to a RB than a QB in terms of risk. I am not sure any time will want to give him the guaranteed money he's looking for.
Many believe he quit on the Ravens last year. I’d reduce the cost in order to move him.

Reactions: Obliviax
Many believe he quit on the Ravens last year. I’d reduce the cost in order to move him.
well, as I said, so much of his game relies of his legs and physicality. LIke an RG3 or Cunningham he may not have the shelf life of a typical pocket passer.

Reactions: john4psu
well, as I said, so much of his game relies of his legs and physicality. LIke an RG3 or Cunningham he may not have the shelf life of a typical pocket passer.
The offense he plays best in is a custom fit, so that complicates matters for him. He badly needs an agent. This isn’t going to end well.

Reactions: Obliviax
bring him to the Commanders. Snyder wants to have one last hurrah of wasting money on a player who was great several years ago

I guess I don't see why they would they take less or reduce the cost to move him like some are suggesting? The Ravens hold all the cards. If he chooses to sit out in the pre-season he gets fined $50k per mandatory team practice, and if the holdout lasts into the season they don't have to pay him anything. If another team really wants him and gets him to agree to a contract the Ravens are required to receive 2 first round picks. And now that the trade info is out in the public they could potentially receive even more compensation beyond the 2 first round picks if a team really wants to make a deal for him.

I guess I don't see why they would they take less or reduce the cost to move him like some are suggesting? The Ravens hold all the cards. If he chooses to sit out in the pre-season he gets fined $50k per mandatory team practice, and if the holdout lasts into the season they don't have to pay him anything. If another team really wants him and gets him to agree to a contract the Ravens are required to receive 2 first round picks. And now that the trade info is out in the public they could potentially receive even more compensation beyond the 2 first round picks if a team really wants to make a deal for him.
The problem is you can't fine a player into playing or practicing. he can simply show up, say his calf muscle hurts, and stand on the sideline. (relative to the $50k fine).

Secondly, all the players are watching. The Ravens don't want to get into being one of the worst teams to have to play for. Free agents will make those decisions accordingly. Free agents are now half of your roster, if not more.

Lastly, what is contractually and what is realistically applicable is of great question here. If nobody may give them 2 first rounders, do they want a disgruntled QB/leader on their roster? If they can't come to some agreement with him, they can throw away 2023. Who will play QB? They are in a really tough place.

It’s possible to reduce the ask? The non exclusive franchise tag was placed. I don’t think a team can just remove it, can they?

It’s possible to reduce the ask? The non exclusive franchise tag was placed. I don’t think a team can just remove it, can they?
I think, but am not sure, if the acquiring and trading teams both want to change the terms, they can.

So if the Steelers tell him they'll give their #1 and #3 picks as well as pay LJ his money guaranteed, team Jackson and the Ravens can jointly agree to remove the tag and trade him. The ravens get 1 and 3, plus get rid of a guy who is saying he'll never play for them again. The only parties that may be in a position to block that would be the NFL and NFLPA. I don't know why they'd want to block that.

The amount of money he's cost himself in terms of lost branding and sponsorship deals by not having an agent bring him opportunities is more than whatever he thinks he is going to gain (but won't) by citing the outlier contract the Browns paid as the starting point for his own deal.

The problem with the trade demand is he still needs someone to offer him the deal he wants. No one is going to trade for him without that piece being worked out.

I'm a huge Ravens fan but I'm over him at this point, move him and lets see how he performs in an offense not tailored to his unique skillset.

I think, but am not sure, if the acquiring and trading teams both want to change the terms, they can.

So if the Steelers tell him they'll give their #1 and #3 picks as well as pay LJ his money guaranteed, team Jackson and the Ravens can jointly agree to remove the tag and trade him. The ravens get 1 and 3, plus get rid of a guy who is saying he'll never play for them again. The only parties that may be in a position to block that would be the NFL and NFLPA. I don't know why they'd want to block that.
Speculation is that teams are resistant to negotiate with Jackson and the Ravens as long as the non exclusive franchise tag is in place. The interested team would be responsible for determining the market price for Jackson.

And if the Ravens chose to match the offer, the other team would be left without the QB that they coveted and a potentially dysfunctional QB locker room amongst the remaining players.

The can negotiate outside the tag, ie, ravens sign lamar for 300 million guaranteed and trade him to the dolphins for Tua and an actual bottlenose dolphin. It doesn't have to be a deal that Lamar signs with his destination per se.

Speculation is that teams are resistant to negotiate with Jackson and the Ravens as long as the non exclusive franchise tag is in place. The interested team would be responsible for determining the market price for Jackson.

And if the Ravens chose to match the offer, the other team would be left without the QB that they coveted and a potentially dysfunctional QB locker room amongst the remaining players.
yep...the problem is, the Ravens may well end up without a QB as well if LB refused to play for them as DeShawn Watson did to the Texans. So there is motivation on their side as well.

yep...the problem is, the Ravens may well end up without a QB as well if LB refused to play for them as DeShawn Watson did to the Texans. So there is motivation on their side as well.

I have a feeling they draft one. Maybe they'll bring in Cliff, I think he's older than Lamar.

The amount of money he's cost himself in terms of lost branding and sponsorship deals by not having an agent bring him opportunities is more than whatever he thinks he is going to gain (but won't) by citing the outlier contract the Browns paid as the starting point for his own deal.

The problem with the trade demand is he still needs someone to offer him the deal he wants. No one is going to trade for him without that piece being worked out.

I'm a huge Ravens fan but I'm over him at this point, move him and lets see how he performs in an offense not tailored to his unique skillset.
Agree, very true. The guy thinks he is smarter than the system, he is not, and will learn the hard way. And there is a system, if you try to operate outside of it, love it or hate it, you won't go far.

Lamar Jackson should have fired his agent a couple of years ago.

Both he and the Ravens would be in better shape today.

Agree, very true. The guy thinks he is smarter than the system, he is not, and will learn the hard way. And there is a system, if you try to operate outside of it, love it or hate it, you won't go far.

Stupid is as stupid does.

The whole process is a mess because at the end of the day you have someone who is entirely unqualified to negotiate a contract of any size asking for the largest contract in league history. It's not some conspiracy against Lamar. There isn't a player in the league who could pull this off effectively, except for maybe Mahomes because the answer would just be yes. He's being used as a pawn by the NFLPA who want guaranteed contracts to become the norm so they're giving him poor advice to further the interest of the players association over his own best interests.

Reactions: diontechristmas
Stupid is as stupid does.

The whole process is a mess because at the end of the day you have someone who is entirely unqualified to negotiate a contract of any size asking for the largest contract in league history. It's not some conspiracy against Lamar. There isn't a player in the league who could pull this off effectively, except for maybe Mahomes because the answer would just be yes. He's being used as a pawn by the NFLPA who want guaranteed contracts to become the norm so they're giving him poor advice to further the interest of the players association over his own best interests.
Very true.

No major endorsement deals, no charisma, hurt during just about every season (maybe not 2019 but it's now 2023), the ad/product companies don't like him, no one to sell him independently, he is a mess. But it will constantly be someone else's fault. It's Cleveland's, it's Mahomes, it's Baltimore, it's racism, etc.

Reactions: diontechristmas
She is enjoying her Campbell's Soup!

But not getting paid for it, because he doesn't have an agent to get him that deal. Don't tell me he couldn't have gotten a Campbells soup deal after his mvp season.

But not getting paid for it, because he doesn't have an agent to get him that deal. Don't tell me he couldn't have gotten a Campbells soup deal after his mvp season.
Absolutely, among many others. I used to work for one of the largest sports agencies in the world. Companies, do not want to do business with players directly because the player (or buddy) doesn't understand terms, comparisons or have REAL data on what competitor athletes are paid. If Campbell's biggest client makes $250K, why are you asking us for $500K? And why are you using terms and conditions that no one understands. The result is a waste of everyone's time. We even used agents to get cell phone deals, like merely unlimited date, even that small!

The funny thing is most of the public would think that it's a great opportunity to fleece the athlete, but in reality, that is not good for anyone or any brand.

Lamar has no leverage. It's Le'Veon Bell again--he can sit out the year. Baltimore will play Huntley and win as many games.

Reactions: MacNit07
This is like Putinstan vs Ukraine. Both dudes damaged beyond repair. LJ really hurt himself as others have shown.

But the Ravens screwed up too. He could show up, feign an injury, and get paid. Ravens would have to pay, lose huge money, takes big cap hit, and lose a roster spot. Additionally, they have an offense built around a unique talent that will be hard to rebuild anytime soon.

Revenge of the Dog Pound!

Lamar scored a 13 on the wonderlic, which equates to a IQ of 86 (give or take). I would not consider this one test a total measure of his intelligence, but when taken in hole, he’s kind of a dope.

No agent. Unrealistic contract demands. Inappropriate behavior on social media.

He’s a great athlete and very good QB, but his contract demands are not reasonable and he will likely get less when it’s all said and done than what the Ravens initially offered.

This is like Putinstan vs Ukraine. Both dudes damaged beyond repair. LJ really hurt himself as others have shown.

But the Ravens screwed up too. He could show up, feign an injury, and get paid. Ravens would have to pay, lose huge money, takes big cap hit, and lose a roster spot. Additionally, they have an offense built around a unique talent that will be hard to rebuild anytime soon.

Revenge of the Dog Pound!

Overhauling the Raven's offense is needed anyway and Roman is out so changes are already under way. There simply isn't a lot of talent on it outside of Lamar. They need to change some pieces, especially at WR, with or without him. Dobbins and Mark Andrews will be fine regardless of whoever is under center.

The ravens are one of the better run franchises in the league. Even if it leads to a down year I don't think there a long term impact where they're stuck in the basement.

I’d find an acceptable deal and move him. He’s on the downhill side of his career. Running QBs have a short shelf. They don’t last much longer than RBs.

Reactions: MacNit07
I’d find an acceptable deal and move him. He’s on the downhill side of his career. Running QBs have a short shelf. They don’t last much longer than RBs.

He has to agree to the acceptable deal. Thats the problem. Acceptable to Lamar is not going to be considered palatable to many franchises outside of Cleveland.

Reactions: tlbakernc
Baltimore owns his rights and can for many years. They have zero incentive to move him for less than what they want. They won't take much less than two firsts if any less

Two first round picks is a huge price. Especially knowing he wants a daily Brinks truck delivery on top of that.
It is and Baltimore isn't going to let him walk after they offered 133M. They owe him nothing so he can sit, retire or play for the Ravens on the tag. Then the tag again next year.

Reactions: PS4814
Two first round picks is a huge price. Especially knowing he wants a daily Brinks truck delivery on top of that.
2 firsts isn’t a price the Ravens set, it’s the required compensation for a non-exclusive franchise tag set by the NFL. If another team offers a deal to Lamar and the Ravens choose to not match it they must receive 2 firsts.

Reactions: NedFromYork
2 firsts isn’t a price the Ravens set, it’s the required compensation for a non-exclusive franchise tag set by the NFL. If another team offers a deal to Lamar and the Ravens choose to not match it they must receive 2 firsts.
Yes I know that. But no matter who set the price it is very very high.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT