ADVERTISEMENT

Lamont Wade now listed as a Safety; Parsons will be #11

Wonder if McPherson will be the 4th corner?

This will be a big Spring for him. If he doesn't break into the rotation at CB this Spring he may get passed up as the redshirt freshmen CB's make progress and the rest of the true freshmen break into practice in August.... I remember watching a high school all start game where McPherson had a great game showing off his speed as a returner, but he looked weak last year to me. Hope he has put on some muscle this winter.....

Reactions: TheGLOV
You mean Butkus, Bednarik, Lambert Trophy winning (all same year) and 2x consensus All-American Lavar Arrington? If he's half as good he'll be great.

Yea I mean Lavar (Look at Me) Arrington, lost '99 Minnesota game and few more with his freelancing. He made one good play. Was a loser in the pros with Washington (cut by Jake Gibbs) because he wanted to run the defense. Was loser in New York and then retired.

Reactions: Nittanylion930
Yea I mean Lavar (Look at Me) Arrington, lost '99 Minnesota game and few more with his freelancing. He made one good play. Was a loser in the pros with Washington (cut by Jake Gibbs) because he wanted to run the defense. Was loser in New York and then retired.
Wow you’re kind of an ass.
You may have psu in your name but you know nothing.

Last edited:

Ha ha ha! One good play? Was a 3x 2nd Team All Pro in the NFL and 3x Pro Bowler - clearly you have no idea what you’re talking about. Please leave the serious football talk to the grown ups. Thanks!

giphy.gif

Lavar Arrington

All-American Selection: 1998, 1999

Outside linebacker, 1998-99, Pittsburgh, Pa., selected by The Sporting News in 1998 and by the Associated Press, Football Coaches, Football Writers, Walter Camp, The Sporting News and The Football News in 1999. He also was a second-team All-American choice of the Associated Press and The Football News in `98. In 1999, he was selected winner of the Butkus Award as the nation's top linebacker and Chuck Bednarik Award as the country's top defensive player. He also was a finalist for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy and Rotary Lombardi Award. The 12th Nittany Lion selected a two-time first-team All-American, Arrington finished ninth in balloting for the 1999 Heisman Trophy. The first sophomore selected Big Ten Defensive Player-of-the-Year in `98, he was named the Alamo Bowl Defensive MVP in his final collegiate game. In `99, he made 72 tackles, with 20 TFL, nine sacks, one interception, one forced fumble, two fumble recoveries (one TD) and two blocked kicks. His leaping tackle over the offensive line of an Illinois runner was selected the 1998 Compaq Defensive Play-of-the-Year. Arrington was selected by the Washington Redskins, as the second overall pick of the 2000 National Football League Draft and has played with the Redskins (2000-05) and the New York Giants (2006). He lives in Upper Marlboro, Md.

Obviously this roster is a work in progress as yesterday D.Barber was listed as a DE and this morning he is a DT. But an 85 scholarship roster that is 4 deep at any position. Or less. 22x4=88. So playing 2 DT's would lead to around 8 on the roster. Or less. 6 or 7 non true freshmen DT's, at the most, is normal.

58 Evan Presta DT SO/FR 6-3/266 Erie, Pa./Cathedral Prep
30 Kevin Givens DT SR/JR 6-1/287 Altoona, Pa./Altoona Area
55 Antonio Shelton DT JR/SO 6-2/302 Westerville, Ohio/Westerville-North
53 Fred Hansard DT SO/FR 6-3/310 Burlington, N.J./The Hun School
92 Corey Bolds DT SO/FR 6-3/285 Paterson, N.J./Paramus Catholic
54 Robert Windsor DT SR/JR 6-4/303 Fond Du Lac, Wis./Fond Du Lac
42 Ellison Jordan DT JR/SO 6-0/293 Upper Marlboro, Md./Gilman School
90 Damion Barber DT SO/FR 6-3/245 Harrisburg/Harrisburg, Pa.

That is some talent!

I thought prototypical safeties were a little taller than Wade. I'm thinking 5'11" minimum. Why do people think this is such a good match? I thought Wade had the kind of athleticism that was a match for cornerback. I could see why he would be moved to safety for lack of having safeties, but a better match than cornerback? Guess I don't understand.
I agree. I am scratching my head at this move. Not opposed but I thought Wade was a 5 star CB prospect.

Reactions: SoParkLion
1. I thought that LaVar invited other LBs to wear #11... This ESPN Story on Navarro Bowman:
LaVar Arrington crafted his Penn State legacy wearing No. 11, winning the Bednarik and Butkus awards and twice earning All-America honors in Happy Valley. The former Lions linebacker has mentored Bowman since Bowman's high school days, and called him last year with a special request.

"We were already friends, and he called and asked me, 'What do you think about wearing 11?'" Bowman said. "I was like, 'I wouldn't mind it.'"

2. I agree that Wade seems short for a safety. But is Wade's height less of an issue at safety than CB? I think that you can dictate who a CB will cover to get a height mismatch but that is more difficult with a safety... and he'd be a good cover safety.
3. Apke wasn't good enough to justify the number of snaps that he got last year... others should have gotten more experience there... unless those behind him were really that unprepared...

I agree. I am scratching my head at this move. Not opposed but I thought Wade was a 5 star CB prospect.

Earl Thomas is the best safety of the generation and he’s barely 5’10”. Another couple inches on Wade would be nice, but it’d be more of a concern if he was manning up other teams’ number one receivers on the outside. Playing center field and occasionally manning up on slot guys like Apke did seems like the best usage of him IMO.

Wade showed in practice before the season that he was a ballhawk. We haven't had someone at safety in years who was capable of breaking up passes, intercepting many balls back there. He's already a physical specimen, fast, strong, and a good tackler.

My guess is that the coaching staff who sees him every day in workouts, practice, then watch the practice tapes over and over, probably have a pretty good understanding of the needs of the position and whether or not Wade would be capable of filling them.

Of course, can't predict the future. But I'm always confused by the posters who think they have a better handle on where Wade should play (or anyone else) vs. the coaching staff. You realize you have access to about .05% of the information that they do, right?

cusack.gif

What's the problem with Parsons getting a tattoo? What do you think all that stuff is on Marcus Allen's arms?

No, you're right - I have zero issues with tattoos. More of an indictment of me than anything else.

Wow you’re kind of an ass.
You may have psu in your name but you know nothing.

Thank you. Haven't had a good compliment in quite awhile. Less you forget it is inalienable right to have an opinion. Still dislike Arrington as a player.

Wade is a very physical player/DB. Thickly built, and a hard tackler. To take the defense to the next level, especially in trying to stop good passing offenses, we need Safety's that can cover better than what we have had recently. Wade looks ideal to play Safety in college.

Some here are questioning Wade's lack of height. Sure, not a prototypical NFL Safety. But he is a "player", and CJF obviously wants his 11 best football players on the field at all times....

I love the move. But Spring is a time where CJF, and most coaches, use practice time to experiment, get film on players to see what their best talents are. Some of those experiments are not permanent.

From what we know so far, I'm hoping Wade is on the field lots in 2018. Where ever CJF wants to play him...

Reactions: Mudge1026
Wade showed in practice before the season that he was a ballhawk. We haven't had someone at safety in years who was capable of breaking up passes, intercepting many balls back there. He's already a physical specimen, fast, strong, and a good tackler.

My guess is that the coaching staff who sees him every day in workouts, practice, then watch the practice tapes over and over, probably have a pretty good understanding of the needs of the position and whether or not Wade would be capable of filling them.

Of course, can't predict the future. But I'm always confused by the posters who think they have a better handle on where Wade should play (or anyone else) vs. the coaching staff. You realize you have access to about .05% of the information that they do, right?

cusack.gif
spot on...our S have been lacking in INT's for several years. If Wade can support the run, at his size, he'll be an awesome S. He has the field presence and game understanding.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT