ADVERTISEMENT

Latest crystal ball to PSU

Hate to tell you and about a million others.....Ohio State isn't our rival either. They have a rival and it isn't us.
Yeah- but IF Fleming had maybe come here THEN maybe we could've won a game here or there. MAYBE Fleming would've attracted some of his buddies from the 7 vs 7 camps and possibly our WR room wouldn't be what it has been- a churn and burn of middling potential/ low performance and ever changing coaches.

Again- I actually defended Fleming most of the time during his recruitment. A guy I grew up with lives up that way and his daughter went to high school with Fleming. Dude was a star in hoops too- the biggest fish in a small pond. From what I was told by her and parents he is a good kid. Choosing OSU was in his best interest and that is what he picked. Got hurt, sat behind a slew of 1st round WR picks and future NFL stars. Made some big plays like vs ND this year. But he could've been OUR 4 year starter and likely star. Maybe even have gone pro by now (he is older I believe). I spent a few years as a kid in Bloomsburg so I took an interest in Fleming for that reason too.

I'm 58 and maybe set in my ways. But when we "lose" a big recruit it stings- but is their choice. Losing Harrison Jr/Fleming in the same class to OSU was a huge blow to our team and brand. Losing Henne to Michigan and Smoker to Michigan State was part of a trend where PA QBs didn't pick us. Often a big star who goes elsewhere leads to others. Fleming is no different.

Their choices are just that. Just because a guy like Mikey Henn from our hoops team last year puts on a Penn State jersey doesn't mean that he is a Penn Stater. Dude went to 5 colleges over 6 years. Of course I rooted for him- why not- but this type of superficial "allegiance" is part of what is killing college sports.

As for the "Business Decision"- we were maybe the first to be on the wrong side of that by Silas Redd. How did we feel about that? How about him? He watched out for himself- but also never attained the stardom at U$C that he would've had here. His choice- now he is a cop in the LA area and found his wife out there. His dad was an officer in Stamford, CT- so he is following in the family tradition of service. It all worked out for him- and we found Zack Zwinack- who is a legendary "out of nowhere" RB from those years. 28 IS a Penn Stater- dude stepped up when we needed him. Silas left.

Is Redd a "Penn Stater"? I'd say no. Was Sam Hartman a Domer? His Wake coach who discovered him, developed him and guided him through the journey from boy to man for 5 years raised the question and took some heat. I happen to agree with him.

Good luck to Fleming- and if he is a Lion so be it. I won't root against him, as I haven't for 4 years at OSU. I really wish he would've chosen us 4 years ago- one year could be nice- but his degree will still say OSU.

I agree with the logic but considering the evolution of the modern athlete, Rice would be considered slow at 4.5 and would not be a wr division 1 player or nfl player at 4.7. 4.60, if true, for Fleming is TE speed these days. Yes, I hope we get additional help at WR, but we cannot give the NIL house away for Fleming. It needs to be reasonable NIL.
There are so many factors when considering today's WR; speed is just one of them. I look at Blacknall, one of the most clutch WR we had. Always came through if tough games. eg, OSU, Minny, and the Iowa slant catch on 4th down in traffic was one that brought me right off the sofa. I don't think I ever saw him drop a pass.

Blacknall was 6-2, about 210-215, ran a 4.38/40 but could never catch on full time with an NFL team. Last I saw, he was in the Canadian League I believe.

A number years ago USC had the #1 and #3 rated WR's in the same class. #1 transferred to NW where he was a backup; the #3 transferred to Houston. Neither one to be heard from again. Hey, you never know.

Fingers crossed that we get Fleming; he definitely can help out.

Yeah- but IF Fleming had maybe come here THEN maybe we could've won a game here or there. MAYBE Fleming would've attracted some of his buddies from the 7 vs 7 camps and possibly our WR room wouldn't be what it has been- a churn and burn of middling potential/ low performance and ever changing coaches.

Again- I actually defended Fleming most of the time during his recruitment. A guy I grew up with lives up that way and his daughter went to high school with Fleming. Dude was a star in hoops too- the biggest fish in a small pond. From what I was told by her and parents he is a good kid. Choosing OSU was in his best interest and that is what he picked. Got hurt, sat behind a slew of 1st round WR picks and future NFL stars. Made some big plays like vs ND this year. But he could've been OUR 4 year starter and likely star. Maybe even have gone pro by now (he is older I believe). I spent a few years as a kid in Bloomsburg so I took an interest in Fleming for that reason too.

I'm 58 and maybe set in my ways. But when we "lose" a big recruit it stings- but is their choice. Losing Harrison Jr/Fleming in the same class to OSU was a huge blow to our team and brand. Losing Henne to Michigan and Smoker to Michigan State was part of a trend where PA QBs didn't pick us. Often a big star who goes elsewhere leads to others. Fleming is no different.

Their choices are just that. Just because a guy like Mikey Henn from our hoops team last year puts on a Penn State jersey doesn't mean that he is a Penn Stater. Dude went to 5 colleges over 6 years. Of course I rooted for him- why not- but this type of superficial "allegiance" is part of what is killing college sports.

As for the "Business Decision"- we were maybe the first to be on the wrong side of that by Silas Redd. How did we feel about that? How about him? He watched out for himself- but also never attained the stardom at U$C that he would've had here. His choice- now he is a cop in the LA area and found his wife out there. His dad was an officer in Stamford, CT- so he is following in the family tradition of service. It all worked out for him- and we found Zack Zwinack- who is a legendary "out of nowhere" RB from those years. 28 IS a Penn Stater- dude stepped up when we needed him. Silas left.

Is Redd a "Penn Stater"? I'd say no. Was Sam Hartman a Domer? His Wake coach who discovered him, developed him and guided him through the journey from boy to man for 5 years raised the question and took some heat. I happen to agree with him.

Good luck to Fleming- and if he is a Lion so be it. I won't root against him, as I haven't for 4 years at OSU. I really wish he would've chosen us 4 years ago- one year could be nice- but his degree will still say OSU.

I feel sorry for the thoughts you have in your heart.

Everyone, at anytime, that has put on a Penn State jersey is a Penn Stater. I have cheered and will cheer for them just the same.

For me, Mikey Henn is a Penn Stater, Silas Redd is a Penn Stater, and anyone that came here and played for us is a Penn Stater. They might not go down in the annals of Penn State sports history, but they came and worked to make our teams better in their time here.
Exactly.

I feel sorry for the thoughts you have in your heart.

Everyone, at anytime, that has put on a Penn State jersey is a Penn Stater. I have cheered and will cheer for them just the same.
I agree to an extent- but preferred when our student athletes had more in common with the rest of us in terms of total PSU experience. A student I know went to U Kentucky and said that she NEVER saw basketball players on campus. They had their own dorm, lived sequestered from the rest of the student population. Were treated like rock stars. The Penn State where I went had me at the same Skull house parties as DJ Dozier when we were freshman. Had Keith Karpinski dating a girl who lived next to us at Cedarbrook. Matt Johnson, Eddie Johnson and Brennan Gaertner were in my Accounting 101 class and I sat next to Matt in the 2nd row. David Clark ended up walking into our party in Garner Court one evening and was welcomed. I worked in NYC with Shane Conlan's gf/ now wife and saw him a few times after graduation.

Over time the mutual experiences lead to a bond between those of us who went through the same growth in the same place at the same time. In the NIL and transfer-arama world we don't have the same situation. I will have to change- this I know- as the world is changing. Picking a college used to be a 4 year/ lifetime decision. It still is for most students- EXCEPT student athletes who jump around like AAU teams. The loss of that connection will eventually kill college sports in my opinion.

It is pretty simple in my mind: I view him as a Buckeye. He chose them, when he could've been the star of our class. That was his choice.

My choice is to not want a Buckeye playing for "us." Especially one who could've likely made our last 4 years of crappy WR better and helped with recruiting a room that his commitment to a rival program continued our bad rep.

Yeah- there is nothing wrong with getting the best players- and "everyone is doing it." But in some cases- and Fleming is one of them- as an alum- I just don't want him masquerading as a Nittany Lion when he is not one. No ill will- I have good friends who went to OSU- but I'd just rather not have him and all of the "coming home" crap. His "home" is on Ohio- which was his choice.

I'm not against all transfers-

Felkins- OK- dude stepped up from an IVY and made the most of it. They only get 4 years.

Chop- left Maryland after 1 year- for whatever reason- but he is a Nittany Lion. Ditto Dixon at DB.

The Duke and Temple 1 year transfers a few years ago on DL- Tangelo and Ebektibe - were rentals- but Arnold showcased and made the league.

I don't know- it is like you ask someone to marry you, and they choose your best friend, and then when things don't work out they call you up trying to interfere in your marriage and say that made a mistake....

IF he comes to PSU I won't root against him- but it will be one more step towards me not caring as much as I used to. It is like rooting for laundry instead of people.
What a shallow point of view to have. Sorry bruh, it ain’t 1975 anymore. Get with the times!!

Silas Redd is absolutely a Penn Stater. Doesn't mean you have think of him as highly as Mauti for example but he's a Lion.

Reactions: Texas Lion
I agree to an extent- but preferred when our student athletes had more in common with the rest of us in terms of total PSU experience. A student I know went to U Kentucky and said that she NEVER saw basketball players on campus. They had their own dorm, lived sequestered from the rest of the student population. Were treated like rock stars. The Penn State where I went had me at the same Skull house parties as DJ Dozier when we were freshman. Had Keith Karpinski dating a girl who lived next to us at Cedarbrook. Matt Johnson, Eddie Johnson and Brennan Gaertner were in my Accounting 101 class and I sat next to Matt in the 2nd row. David Clark ended up walking into our party in Garner Court one evening and was welcomed. I worked in NYC with Shane Conlan's gf/ now wife and saw him a few times after graduation.

Over time the mutual experiences lead to a bond between those of us who went through the same growth in the same place at the same time. In the NIL and transfer-arama world we don't have the same situation. I will have to change- this I know- as the world is changing. Picking a college used to be a 4 year/ lifetime decision. It still is for most students- EXCEPT student athletes who jump around like AAU teams. The loss of that connection will eventually kill college sports in my opinion.
You do realize a ton of kids, that aren't athletes, go to many different schools
One of my best friends went to at least 3 for undergrad.

I agree with the logic but considering the evolution of the modern athlete, Rice would be considered slow at 4.5 and would not be a wr division 1 player or nfl player at 4.7. 4.60, if true, for Fleming is TE speed these days. Yes, I hope we get additional help at WR, but we cannot give the NIL house away for Fleming. It needs to be reasonable NIL.
Nothing about NIL is remotely "reasonable".

Our job is to beat Ohio State and now, Oregon, and you don't do that without top shelf portal players.

Not exactly. The Fleming story dominated this Board for years.

Marshall knew the grandfather...inside info. Fleming's girlfriend was a scholar athlete and people tracked his visits to U Park on weekends.

All over the top stuff....and he picked our rival. Just like I wouldn't want Cade McNamara or the TE All who went to Iowa. They beat us on the long pass play 3 years ago. They are Them not We.

Temple is not our rival. Maryland is not our rival. Western Kentucky is not our rival. Tulsa with this new potential kicker is not our rival. Kids have the right to try and prove themselves.

Fleming had his chance and chose differently. He is not the same as others.

Call me a hypocrite if you will..
I do not care. I hope he goes to Nebby w McCord of that is what he really wants.
I'll gladly take your season tickets off your hands 😁. Pm me asap.

If you want I'll contact Michael J Fox from Back to the future and see if we can hop back in the time machine to 1910 and we can bring megaphones and picnic baskets to the game against Colgate next year and have cokes and hoagies at halftime at the 50 yard line.

Outside of that I'll take Julian Fleming, and hopefully 2 more top wide receivers, and beat Ohio State next season and make the CFP.

Yeah, I like that option better.

Marshall knew the grandfather...inside info. Fleming's girlfriend was a scholar athlete and people tracked his visits to U Park on weekends.

All over the top stuff....and he picked our rival. Just like I wouldn't want Cade McNamara or the TE All who went to Iowa. They beat us on the long pass play 3 years ago. They are Them not We.

Temple is not our rival. Maryland is not our rival. Western Kentucky is not our rival. Tulsa with this new potential kicker is not our rival. Kids have the right to try and prove themselves.

I do not care. I hope he goes to Nebby w McCord of that is what he really wants.
Penn state is unrivaled. Therefore he didn’t go to a rival school. 🤷‍♂️

Did he play at Penn State?

He did but he didn't. I really dont remember him playing at PSU. He is a USC guy to me.

Mauti and Redd are not the same.

You can look at him anyway you want. I will do the same. I am making a business decision and not recognizing him. If he sends me a resume, it's going in the trash.

Some keep referring to Fleming's speed/quickness as a negative for his receiving skills; he ran about a 4.6/40. Remember Jerry Rice ran a 4.71/40 at the NFL combine which caused him to drop considerably in the draft. Rice's 40 time would be slower than any LB taken in the 2023 draft. However, Rice is the all time receptions leader in the NFL.

He had something to prove and he did it with heart.
Steve Largent was not quick or fast

People can't stop complaining about the portal and then the staff finally looks to have a success and top 5 wr, they want to find fault with it because he didn't originally sign here 😂

And some of you wonder why people still call us a cult?

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
What a shallow point of view to have. Sorry bruh, it ain’t 1975 anymore. Get with the times!!
I agree, but the difference between a college team and a minor league team is the shared experience. I held season tix for maybe 8 years. May get them again this Fall.

I also used never miss a game on tv. Missed 3 this year and don't feel like I missed much. The whole demise of the Student Athlete is what is driving the change.

How many friends do you have who transferred even once? I have one. Is it ok that Bama took Tennessee's top LB a few years ago? Did Bama have a major that he coukdn't get at UT? No. It was a sports move- had nothing to do with the university.

When Penn State players are simply minor leaguers who wear a blue and white shirt then how much does the average PSU student have in common with them?

I guess if the world is happy with the merry go round then it will continue. There were times when both the University mission and the Athletic mission were the same.

• Wow
I agree, but the difference between a college team and a minor league team is the shared experience. I held season tix for maybe 8 years. May get them again this Fall.

I also used never miss a game on tv. Missed 3 this year and don't feel like I missed much. The whole demise of the Student Athlete is what is driving the change.

How many friends do you have who transferred even once? I have one. Is it ok that Bama took Tennessee's top LB a few years ago? Did Bama have a major that he coukdn't get at UT? No. It was a sports move- had nothing to do with the university.

When Penn State players are simply minor leaguers who wear a blue and white shirt then how much does the average PSU student have in common with them?

I guess if the world is happy with the merry go round then it will continue. There were times when both the University mission and the Athletic mission were the same.
Indeed. Before World War 2 😂

• Haha

Flawed logic. PSU will just end up with a different, less talented WR free agent who might be gone after a year or two. Might as well take the best player.

Marshall being an "insider" is as comical as psubiomed thinking he is

Marshall went to HS at So.Col in the 60s I think and may have even coached there. He at least knew the grandfather. Similar to bison, he wasn't necessarily a PSU insider, but he had contacts in the area Fleming went to HS.

A lot different than the gunsie taking on3 payboard info and sharing it here as his own. Lol

Seems like a double standard to me. If you welcome Chop in why wouldn't you welcome Fleming? or how about Michael Tinsley?

I guess it is because Fleming is from Bloomsberg.

As a college fan, I haven't supported the portal. But it is clearly a success story as a lot of kids have gotten opportunities that they wouldn't have gotten at their first school. I'd like to see the NCAA tweak the process so that it wasn't the wild-wild west. I don't have any specifics but it just seems that the coaches, with LOI approaching, coaches changing and the portal opening, it is way too much to handle between the season end and the end of the bowl playoff picture. Perhaps I would open the portal Jan 10th and close it back up in July.

I think we've been beneficiaries of the portal so far.
Chop was a Freshman when he transferred. Why? I don't know. Maybe he didn't like UMd. Maybe the coach who recruited him left. He was all Big Freshman team.

What we do know is that he talked w the DMV guys at PSU...including Eketebe who went from Temple to the NFL via us and our coaches. He then chose us. Did he get $1.0mm NIL? Idk.

Dixon left South Carolina after a year or two. So they both didn't play 4 years somewhere else, get their degree somewhere else and then pick us.

Had Fleming come "home" to PSU after a year or two there would no doubt be many, many #4 jerseys in the stands. He did not. That is his choice and I'm fine with that.

But Chop and Dixon are different than Fleming. Our kicker last year couldn't play another year at Columbia- so no issue there.

Tinsley is a better analogy. A one year post grad rental who may or may not be pursuing an additional degree. Again- while I do not like the 5th/6th year grad transfer wave, I can accept it. Times change.

NCAA hoops is showing a disturbing trend of players transferring many times, staying "eligible", but being nowhere close to a degree after their tour of college towns.
Is that a good thing? Me and many of my generation would say "no."

However, not all transfers are the same. Fleming, for me, is a Buckeye. I'd rather he stayed there. It appears obvious he has overstayed his welcome. I'm fine with him playing somewhere else. Would Michigan welcome Fleming as a Michigan Man? If Terrelle Pryor wanted to transfer back to State for his 5th year how many would've wanted that? Times change. Everything seems to be a Big Fantasy game. It is not 1975, or 86 when I was a senior, or even 2015.

I pictured me and my wife rv-ing to college games all fall upon retirement. She is actually up for it. I may choose National Parks instead and watch games via satellite. Maybe the Pennsylvania Blue Lions will just play at Mansion Park in Altoona instead of being affiliated with Penn State. Why not just make a NBDL version for the NFL and cut the college stuff completely out of it?

He did but he didn't. I really dont remember him playing at PSU. He is a USC guy to me.

Mauti and Redd are not the same.

You can look at him anyway you want. I will do the same. I am making a business decision and not recognizing him. If he sends me a resume, it's going in the trash.
Sounds like discrimination
You may want to have some tests run if you can't recall him playing here.

Marshall went to HS at So.Col in the 60s I think and may have even coached there. He at least knew the grandfather. Similar to bison, he wasn't necessarily a PSU insider, but he had contacts in the area Fleming went to HS.

A lot different than the gunsie taking on3 payboard info and sharing it here as his own. Lol
Marshall called it long before anyone else.

And he was correct. I was not let down when Fleming went to OSU and still am not.

He made his best call.

Reactions: lazydave841
Chop was a Freshman when he transferred. Why? I don't know. Maybe he didn't like UMd. Maybe the coach who recruited him left. He was all Big Freshman team.

What we do know is that he talked w the DMV guys at PSU...including Eketebe who went from Temple to the NFL via us and our coaches. He then chose us. Did he get $1.0mm NIL? Idk.

Dixon left South Carolina after a year or two. So they both didn't play 4 years somewhere else, get their degree somewhere else and then pick us.

Had Fleming come "home" to PSU after a year or two there would no doubt be many, many #4 jerseys in the stands. He did not. That is his choice and I'm fine with that.

But Chop and Dixon are different than Fleming. Our kicker last year couldn't play another year at Columbia- so no issue there.

Tinsley is a better analogy. A one year post grad rental who may or may not be pursuing an additional degree. Again- while I do not like the 5th/6th year grad transfer wave, I can accept it. Times change.

NCAA hoops is showing a disturbing trend of players transferring many times, staying "eligible", but being nowhere close to a degree after their tour of college towns.
Is that a good thing? Me and many of my generation would say "no."

However, not all transfers are the same. Fleming, for me, is a Buckeye. I'd rather he stayed there. It appears obvious he has overstayed his welcome. I'm fine with him playing somewhere else. Would Michigan welcome Fleming as a Michigan Man? If Terrelle Pryor wanted to transfer back to State for his 5th year how many would've wanted that? Times change. Everything seems to be a Big Fantasy game. It is not 1975, or 86 when I was a senior, or even 2015.

I pictured me and my wife rv-ing to college games all fall upon retirement. She is actually up for it. I may choose National Parks instead and watch games via satellite. Maybe the Pennsylvania Blue Lions will just play at Mansion Park in Altoona instead of being affiliated with Penn State. Why not just make a NBDL version for the NFL and cut the college stuff completely out of it?
This team is sooooooo lucky to have someone like you cheering for them. What about the kids that wanted to go to Ohio State but weren’t takes and this had to come to PSU. Are they not Penn Staters? I just feel like you painted yourself in a corner with your idea but are too stubborn to admit your idea has no validity.

• Love
Reactions: Psubiomed
This team is sooooooo lucky to have someone like you cheering for them. What about the kids that wanted to go to Ohio State but weren’t takes and this had to come to PSU. Are they not Penn Staters? I just feel like you painted yourself in a corner with your idea but are too stubborn to admit your idea has no validity.
He's been reduced to multi paragraph dissertations and thesis now that he's been proven wrong.

That might be worst argument of all time.....Tik Tok is going to be the death of this Country with "logic" like this.
No. The worst argument of all time is you, using "change is not good" to defend a guy who is lost in 1969 and tries to find a problem with bringing in a proven wide receiver in the top 5 of the portal.

No. The worst argument of all time is you, using "change is not good" to defend a guy who is lost in 1969 and tries to find a problem with bringing in a proven wide receiver in the top 5 of the portal.
reading comprehension Tik Tok Boy......All change isn't good....And on your point regarding MLK, he would even tell you all change isn't good.

Change isn't always good.
But it's inevitable and you have to adapt. Complaining about a player picking Ohio State when he was 17 or 18 then deciding later to come to Penn State is beyond ridiculous. Hating the portal or countless others things is one thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT