ADVERTISEMENT

Latest crystal ball to PSU

napoleon dynamite hands GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Reactions: Obliviax
I am not sure why but I've watched that movie several times in the last few months. Its been on one of the HBO channels. It is so masterfully done and when you read the story of the movie, an incredible accomplishment. They made the movie for ~ $400,000 and were running out of film by the time they did the dance scene so they did it in one shot and edited it.

200w.gif

While this is the way the game is played now, I'd still prefer he go elsewhere.
Because you're angry a high school senior thought Ohio State was a better fit for him? He improves our team regardless of anyone's opinion and the goal is to win. Preferring him to go elsewhere is either petty or insane. Probably both.

We can all hate the portal but it's part of the game. The goal is to fill holes and we need multiple WRs

Because you're angry a high school senior thought Ohio State was a better fit for him? He improves our team regardless of anyone's opinion and the goal is to win. Preferring him to go elsewhere is either petty or insane. Probably both.

We can all hate the portal but it's part of the game. The goal is to fill holes and we need multiple WRs
Yeah I dont understand the hate. We need all the help we can get at the wr position.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Here is a very good scouting report that was completed after the regular season.

Basically, a great athlete with great size for WR. His measurable jump off the page but he appears to lack quickness and doesn't always use his big WR body to his best advantage. He doesn't have "explosive" moves. So he'll need to be a better route runner and learn to use his body and strength to beat the defender to the ball.

It is pretty simple in my mind: I view him as a Buckeye. He chose them, when he could've been the star of our class. That was his choice.

My choice is to not want a Buckeye playing for "us." Especially one who could've likely made our last 4 years of crappy WR better and helped with recruiting a room that his commitment to a rival program continued our bad rep.

Yeah- there is nothing wrong with getting the best players- and "everyone is doing it." But in some cases- and Fleming is one of them- as an alum- I just don't want him masquerading as a Nittany Lion when he is not one. No ill will- I have good friends who went to OSU- but I'd just rather not have him and all of the "coming home" crap. His "home" is on Ohio- which was his choice.

I'm not against all transfers-

Felkins- OK- dude stepped up from an IVY and made the most of it. They only get 4 years.

Chop- left Maryland after 1 year- for whatever reason- but he is a Nittany Lion. Ditto Dixon at DB.

The Duke and Temple 1 year transfers a few years ago on DL- Tangelo and Ebektibe - were rentals- but Arnold showcased and made the league.

I don't know- it is like you ask someone to marry you, and they choose your best friend, and then when things don't work out they call you up trying to interfere in your marriage and say that made a mistake....

IF he comes to PSU I won't root against him- but it will be one more step towards me not caring as much as I used to. It is like rooting for laundry instead of people.

It is pretty simple in my mind: I view him as a Buckeye. He chose them, when he could've been the star of our class. That was his choice.

My choice is to not want a Buckeye playing for "us." Especially one who could've likely made our last 4 years of crappy WR better and helped with recruiting a room that his commitment to a rival program continued our bad rep.

Yeah- there is nothing wrong with getting the best players- and "everyone is doing it." But in some cases- and Fleming is one of them- as an alum- I just don't want him masquerading as a Nittany Lion when he is not one. No ill will- I have good friends who went to OSU- but I'd just rather not have him and all of the "coming home" crap. His "home" is on Ohio- which was his choice.

Felkins- OK- dude stepped up from an IVY and made the most of it. They only get 4 years.

Chop- left Maryland after 1 year- for whatever reason- but he is a Nittany Lion. Ditto Dixon at DB.

The Duke and Temple 1 year transfers a few years ago on DL- Tangelo and Ebektibe - were rentals- but Arnold showcased and made the league.

I don't know- it is like you ask someone to marry you, and they choose your best friend, and then when things don't work out they call you up trying to interfere in your marriage and say that made a mistake....

IF he comes to PSU I won't root against him- but it will be one more step towards me not caring as much as I used to. It is like rooting for laundry instead of people.
This is quite possibly the most hypocritical thread in the history of this board.

Seems like a double standard to me. If you welcome Chop in why wouldn't you welcome Fleming? or how about Michael Tinsley?

I guess it is because Fleming is from Bloomsberg.

As a college fan, I haven't supported the portal. But it is clearly a success story as a lot of kids have gotten opportunities that they wouldn't have gotten at their first school. I'd like to see the NCAA tweak the process so that it wasn't the wild-wild west. I don't have any specifics but it just seems that the coaches, with LOI approaching, coaches changing and the portal opening, it is way too much to handle between the season end and the end of the bowl playoff picture. Perhaps I would open the portal Jan 10th and close it back up in July.

I think we've been beneficiaries of the portal so far.

Reactions: LMTLION
Seems like a double standard to me. If you welcome Chop in why wouldn't you welcome Fleming? or how about Michael Tinsley?

I guess it is because Fleming is from Bloomsberg.

As a college fan, I haven't supported the portal. But it is clearly a success story as a lot of kids have gotten opportunities that they wouldn't have gotten at their first school. I'd like to see the NCAA tweak the process so that it wasn't the wild-wild west. I don't have any specifics but it just seems that the coaches, with LOI approaching, coaches changing and the portal opening, it is way too much to handle between the season end and the end of the bowl playoff picture. Perhaps I would open the portal Jan 10th and close it back up in July.

I think we've been beneficiaries of the portal so far.
Not saying I agree with the poster, but Tinsley isn’t comparable as he never had a PSU offer out of HS to reject.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Not saying I agree with the poster, but Tinsley isn’t comparable as he never had a PSU offer out of HS to reject.
you make a good point but who cares? maybe the staff wanted him but he didn't return the interest. The bottom line is that kids pick a program and sometimes that doesn't work out. He owned PA and PSU nothing. Just as Chop owned MD nothing.

I think back to Purdue last year. Aiden O'Connell didn't have any great offers and walked on at Purdue. He started for the Vegas Raiders last night and wiped out the Chargers. Going into last season, they noted that there was a kid named Charlie Jones who was transferring from Iowa but he was, at best, their third or fourth option. He now has a roster spot on the deepest WR team in the NFL: Cincy Bengals.

Kids no longer care where they are from just who can get them to the NFL and for the most amount of rookie contract money.

Did your spouse have another love interest before meeting you……sometimes we need to make the wrong decision in order to make the right one

Reactions: Lion84
I agr

I agree - it's not like he ripped PSU after going to OSU in fact he has said it was a tough choice - if he makes us better come on board.

Reactions: aworsnup and Grass

Great take. Nailed it. Not sure why others cannot see this.

• Wow
Reactions: Westcoast24
Here is the way I see it.....do I wish he came to Penn State right out of high school? Of course, we all did. But he didn't. So what I can we focus on, the future.

We can't go back and be good with him 3 years ago. All we can do is be good with him next year.

Some keep referring to Fleming's speed/quickness as a negative for his receiving skills; he ran about a 4.6/40. Remember Jerry Rice ran a 4.71/40 at the NFL combine which caused him to drop considerably in the draft. Rice's 40 time would be slower than any LB taken in the 2023 draft. However, Rice is the all time receptions leader in the NFL.

He had something to prove and he did it with heart.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
The Portal is here to stay and he'll be a bigtime addition to PSI and to a position of need.
Damn right. Now go get Lucas and Young and then if you want a depth piece, sure, add Greene. But Greene ain't gonna be helping next year when we need it.

Some keep referring to Fleming's speed/quickness as a negative for his receiving skills; he ran about a 4.6/40. Remember Jerry Rice ran a 4.71/40 at the NFL combine which caused him to drop considerably in the draft. Rice's 40 time would be slower than any LB taken in the 2023 draft. However, Rice is the all time receptions leader in the NFL.

He had something to prove and he did it with heart.
I agree with the logic but considering the evolution of the modern athlete, Rice would be considered slow at 4.5 and would not be a wr division 1 player or nfl player at 4.7. 4.60, if true, for Fleming is TE speed these days. Yes, I hope we get additional help at WR, but we cannot give the NIL house away for Fleming. It needs to be reasonable NIL.

This is quite possibly the most hypocritical thread in the history of this board.
Not exactly. The Fleming story dominated this Board for years.

Marshall knew the grandfather...inside info. Fleming's girlfriend was a scholar athlete and people tracked his visits to U Park on weekends.

All over the top stuff....and he picked our rival. Just like I wouldn't want Cade McNamara or the TE All who went to Iowa. They beat us on the long pass play 3 years ago. They are Them not We.

Temple is not our rival. Maryland is not our rival. Western Kentucky is not our rival. Tulsa with this new potential kicker is not our rival. Kids have the right to try and prove themselves.

Fleming had his chance and chose differently. He is not the same as others.

Call me a hypocrite if you will..
I do not care. I hope he goes to Nebby w McCord of that is what he really wants.

PennLive: Inside Why Julian Fleming Picked OSU.

IF he helps stabilize and provide leadership in the WR room and performs on the field.

It's just a business decision.

Last edited:
you make a good point but who cares? maybe the staff wanted him but he didn't return the interest. The bottom line is that kids pick a program and sometimes that doesn't work out. He owned PA and PSU nothing. Just as Chop owned MD nothing.

I think back to Purdue last year. Aiden O'Connell didn't have any great offers and walked on at Purdue. He started for the Vegas Raiders last night and wiped out the Chargers. Going into last season, they noted that there was a kid named Charlie Jones who was transferring from Iowa but he was, at best, their third or fourth option. He now has a roster spot on the deepest WR team in the NFL: Cincy Bengals.

Kids no longer care where they are from just who can get them to the NFL and for the most amount of rookie contract money.
Tinsley was from outside KC - he wasn’t on their radar and PSU wasn’t on his when he was in HS.

There are some very good HS prospects in the KC area that we might get some looks from with Andy coming on board.

The state of KS will be easier than MO due to MO NIL laws in place that allow Mizzou commits from MO to start collecting their NIL while still in HS.

Last edited:
Not exactly. The Fleming story dominated this Board for years.

Marshall knew the grandfather...inside info. Fleming's girlfriend was a scholar athlete and people tracked his visits to U Park on weekends.

All over the top stuff....and he picked our rival. Just like I wouldn't want Cade McNamara or the TE All who went to Iowa. They beat us on the long pass play 3 years ago. They are Them not We.

Temple is not our rival. Maryland is not our rival. Western Kentucky is not our rival. Tulsa with this new potential kicker is not our rival. Kids have the right to try and prove themselves.

Fleming had his chance and chose differently. He is not the same as others.

Call me a hypocrite if you will..
I do not care. I hope he goes to Nebby w McCord of that is what he really wants.
Hate to tell you and about a million others.....Ohio State isn't our rival either. They have a rival and it isn't us.

I agree with the logic but considering the evolution of the modern athlete, Rice would be considered slow at 4.5 and would not be a wr division 1 player or nfl player at 4.7. 4.60, if true, for Fleming is TE speed these days. Yes, I hope we get additional help at WR, but we cannot give the NIL house away for Fleming. It needs to be reasonable NIL.
How do we even know he is a NIL candidate?

Who cares if they had a Penn State offer to begin with. Things change.
Especially Chop leaving Marlyand to come here.
To welcome one person but not another is illogical. They want to be here now. That's all that matters. The past is the past.

Reactions: JoeLion
Tinsley was from outside KC - he wasn’t on their radar and PSU wasn’t on his when he was in HS.

There are some very good HS prospects in the KC area that we might get some looks from with Andy coming on board.

The state of KS will be easier than MO due to MO NIL laws in place that allow Mizzou commits from MO to start collecting their NIL while still in HS.
OK. I don't really care. We've had lots of players come to us via the portal and be successful here. If they had an offer or were from PA and chose to go elsewhere, makes no difference to me whatsoever.

Who cares if they had a Penn State offer to begin with. Things change.
Especially Chop leaving Marlyand to come here.
To welcome one person but not another is illogical. They want to be here now. That's all that matters. The past is the past.
Did you not understand the first part of my comment where I said I don’t agree with the poster who said he didn’t like the guys who first rejected PSU? I only said that Tinsley was different animal from the rest being discussed. Gee whiz!

OK. I don't really care. We've had lots of players come to us via the portal and be successful here. If they had an offer or were from PA and chose to go elsewhere, makes no difference to me whatsoever.
And I agreed - just stated that Tinsley was different. Why the argument? Go ahead now, you can have the last word.

Reactions: Obliviax
Did you not understand the first part of my comment where I said I don’t agree with the poster who said he didn’t like the guys who first rejected PSU? I only said that Tinsley was different animal from the rest being discussed. Gee whiz!
Fair enough--it wasn't really directed at you but I responded to you so I apologize.

Reactions: KCLion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT