ADVERTISEMENT

latest rankings and team points

Just another PSU Fan

Jan 25, 2013
Intermat and Flo have released updates to the rankings ...

154 / 146 for tournament points calculated by each system

if PSU finishes as ranked by Intermat - they only need 17 points in bonus to break the record. *( Carter put up 24 team points in 2023, 2 falls, 2 decisions )*

I've stated that I'd rather see 10 All Americans on Saturday vs the team point record ... but I'm definitely curious as to how close the team score will end up!

PSU had 14 matches with bonus at the B1G tournament out of 33 contested

over/under on bonus matches at the NCAAs set the line at 19 ...

Intermat and Flo have released updates to the rankings ...

154 / 146 for tournament points calculated by each system

if PSU finishes as ranked by Intermat - they only need 17 points in bonus to break the record. *( Carter put up 24 team points in 2023, 2 falls, 2 decisions )*

I've stated that I'd rather see 10 All Americans on Saturday vs the team point record ... but I'm definitely curious as to how close the team score will end up!

PSU had 14 matches with bonus at the B1G tournament out of 33 contested

over/under on bonus matches at the NCAAs set the line at 19 ...

Over

We will wrestle close to 50 matches. I'll go 22+ bonus matches

Ok, just for fun, who's willing to do the research? Total points and bonus the past 10 years for PSU Bigs vs Nationals. Let's look for a correlation.
I only have the last 3 years' worth of data for nationals.

Wrestlersum Bonussum Total Pts
01 Carter Starocci (PSU) 19-0424.
03 Aaron Brooks (PSU) 12-1323.
03 Greg Kerkvliet (PSU) 15-2319.
02 Levi Haines (PSU) 20-1218.
01 Roman Bravo-Young (PSU) 16-0117.
12 Shayne Van Ness (PSU) 19-6215.5
06 Beau Bartlett (PSU) 21-2114.5
09 Max Dean (PSU) 20-306.5

01 Roman Bravo-Young (17-0) Penn State323.
01 Nick Lee (17-0) Penn State323.
02 Aaron Brooks (16-1) Penn State323.
01 Carter Starocci (18-0) Penn State222.
01 Max Dean (18-1) Penn State1.521.5
04 Greg Kerkvliet (18-2) Penn State315.5
16 Brady Berge (9-2) Penn State12.
13 Beau Bartlett (14-8) Penn State01.
16 Drew Hildebrandt (9-3) Penn State00.5

(02) Nick Lee (PSU) 8-13.523.5
(02) Roman Bravo-Young (PSU) 9-02.522.5
(01) Aaron Brooks (PSU) 9-01.521.5
(03) Carter Starocci (PSU) 8-2121.
(09) Greg Kerkvliet (PSU) 6-24.511.
(15) Michael Beard (PSU) 6-439.5
(12) Brady Berge (PSU) 8-213.
(23) Robert Howard (PSU) 5-401.5

3pt takedown should increase the number of majors significantly. really no point for the guy down by 2 to not go for a big move in the dying moments. a takedown and 3 nearfall for the guy up by 2 turns that into a major

3pt takedown should increase the number of majors significantly. really no point for the guy down by 2 to not go for a big move in the dying moments. a takedown and 3 nearfall for the guy up by 2 turns that into a major
So if a guy is up 5 in the last 30, and forces a TD attempt to get the major, … doesn’t he risk the other guy going big for 6 (your scenario)?

So if a guy is up 5 in the last 30, and forces a TD attempt to get the major, … doesn’t he risk the other guy going big for 6 (your scenario)?

of course that's a risk. but i've observed a lot more furious comeback attempts from wrestlers down 2 points in the last 10 seconds where they go to their back after their attack failing than wrestlers up 5 taking a shot and ending up on their back and losing late.

The fact of the matter is, with the 3pt TD, 170 isn't as attractive a goal. I'm with OP, 10AAs would be a much better feeling. We can push for 200 next year.
That would be true if only PSU guys got three points per takedown. In theory, the opponent has an equal opportunity to not allow bonus points by getting takedowns themselves.

Well I went back to 2011 looking at tournament point totals alone. In those 12 years (tossing out 2020), only once (in 2017) did we increase our team point total going from Bigs to Nationals.

Our average team point total decrease is 14.6 (the greatest drop was 35.5 points and a the least a 16.5 point increase at nationals that one year). Again, these numbers of course include bonus.

Thus if we accept this as a pretty consistent pattern since 2011, and extrapolate, our projected team points at nationals for 2024 would be 170.5 - 14.6 = 155.9. Wait for it.

Ahh, but the great equalizer = Carter Starocci and both his missing points at Bigs and the ad to nationals.

Let's adjust the projected nationals total accordingly. 159.9 + 22 (let's safely assume he will be both close to 100% and angry) brings us to 181.9. To be perfectly honest I did not expect a total out of the low 170s.

Certainly we should consider the potential for anywhere from a top4/champion to maybe as low as blood round for Davis, Kasak & Nagao depending upon the draw, while Bartlett and Truax may swing from finalist to low AA. So it is highly likely that those 4 as a collective need to wrestle close or above seed in aggregate. Not an easy task, but I would be shocked if we saw more than one of them bounced early. In fact it's much more likely one of our young guns shocks the world (Kasak in particular IMO).

When Iowa set the record they went off, with a number of wrestlers out-performing their seed. We would need to do the same and rack up a lot of bonus in doing so. After seeing the numbers in relation to our performance last weekend, it seems more than just 'possible'.

Reactions: APSPSUwrestlingfan
Well I went back to 2011 looking at tournament point totals alone. In those 12 years (tossing out 2020), only once (in 2017) did we increase our team point total going from Bigs to Nationals.

Our average team point total decrease is 14.6 (the greatest drop was 35.5 points and a the least a 16.5 point increase at nationals that one year). Again, these numbers of course include bonus.

Thus if we accept this as a pretty consistent pattern since 2011, and extrapolate, our projected team points at nationals for 2024 would be 170.5 - 14.6 = 155.9. Wait for it.

Ahh, but the great equalizer = Carter Starocci and both his missing points at Bigs and the ad to nationals.

Let's adjust the projected nationals total accordingly. 159.9 + 22 (let's safely assume he will be both close to 100% and angry) brings us to 181.9. To be perfectly honest I did not expect a total out of the low 170s.

Certainly we should consider the potential for anywhere from a top4/champion to maybe as low as blood round for Davis, Kasak & Nagao depending upon the draw, while Bartlett and Truax may swing from finalist to low AA. So it is highly likely that those 4 as a collective need to wrestle close or above seed in aggregate. Not an easy task, but I would be shocked if we saw more than one of them bounced early. In fact it's much more likely one of our young guns shocks the world (Kasak in particular IMO).

When Iowa set the record they went off, with a number of wrestlers out-performing their seed. We would need to do the same and rack up a lot of bonus in doing so. After seeing the numbers in relation to our performance last weekend, it seems more than just 'possible'.
I think you have a typo (155.9 vs 159.9)

So if our only bonus comes from falls, the team still retains bragging rights.

Cael: “Well, guys, here’s the plan…”
Cael might actually say, "We're scoring 200 this week and here's what I need each of you to do (hands out scouting video of each opponent they might face). No dodgeball for the slackers."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT