ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Stats and a few observations

jack66

May 29, 2001
PENN STATE (Inj Def and Forfiets not included).

* As already pointed out, 29-4 overall
No one lost more than once
* 20.5 bonus points
Kasak and Brooks led the way with 4 each.
Bartlett was the only one with 0 bonus wins. Only two TDs and a total of 10 points for the week can do that.

MICHIGAN
* 25 - 15 Overall
1 - 7 plus a MFor in session 4.
* 7.5 bonus points with the help of a fall from Lewan
Augi, Rags, Cam, Griffith, Bullock, and Striggow with 0 bonus.
Yeah, the Wolverines are boring to watch.

IOWA
* 33 - 14 Overall
They had a better record than Mich, but day one did them in.
* 11 bonus points
With 47 matches wrestled to our 33 and UM's 40 ... not great
Calliendo and Kennedy accounted for exactly half of the 11. The others? Michigan redux ... or is it the other way around?
* I think the Hawks top Mich at NCAAs.

OHIO STATE
* 20 - 17 Overall
Historic 2022 recruiting class leads the Buckeyes to a 5th-place finish.
It's not good from Bouzakis; the highest seed not to place.
* 14 bonus points
Wrestling with "controlled anger," Rogotzki accounted for 5 and tied Nebraska's Hardy for the tourney lead in bonus points.

Shoutout to RUTGERS
* 22 - 20 Overall
1.5 points behind OSU with few, if any, top 10 recruits.
* 14 bonus points
Mitch Moore led the tourney with the most falls ... 2 for him 2 for them

Last edited:

* 20.5 bonus points
Kasak and Brooks led the way with 4 each
Bartlett was the only one with 0 bonus wins ... 2 TDs for the week can do that.

MICHIGAN
* 25-15 Overall

IOWA
* 33 - 14 Overall
* 11 bonus points
Calliendo and Kennedy accounted for exactly half of the 11

OHIO STATE
* 20 - 17 Overall
Not good from Bouzakis
* 14 bonus points
Wrestling with "controlled anger," Rogotzki accounted for 5 and tied Nebraska's Hardy for the tourney lead in bonus points.

Shoutout to RUTGERS
* 22 - 20 Overall
* 14 bonus points
Mitch Moore led the tourney with the most falls on the is record ... 2 for him 2 for them
My prediction for Rogotzke - he gets figured out and plateaus/declines as the years go by. Could be another Soldano

* 20.5 bonus points
Kasak and Brooks led the way with 4 each
Bartlett was the only one with 0 bonus wins ... 2 TDs for the week can do that.

MICHIGAN
* 25 - 15 Overall

IOWA
* 33 - 14 Overall
* 11 bonus points
Calliendo and Kennedy accounted for exactly half of the 11. The others? Michigan redux ... or is it the other way around?

OHIO STATE
* 20 - 17 Overall
It's not good from Bouzakis; the highest seed not to place.
* 14 bonus points

Shoutout to RUTGERS
* 22 - 20 Overall
* 14 bonus points
Mitch Moore led the tourney with the most falls ... 2 for him 2 for them
Great stats. Would you say that Iowa outperformed Michigan overall, and that the difference in final score was due to the day one performance for each team? It appears so.

Reactions: jack66
True. Plus Iowa went 9-1 in round one, earning 6 bonus points to Michigan’s 2 due to the bye disparity. I’m not sure that Michigan out-performed Iowa with smoke and mirrors because of a dismal Hawkeye day one. Nevertheless, Shane Griffith being hobbled may make a difference in NCAA team placement standings for the two schools.

Great stats. Would you say that Iowa outperformed Michigan overall, and that the difference in final score was due to the day one performance for each team? It appears so.

I agree, but it will be close either way.

I think seeds will play a big part. You don't want to be on Penn State's side of the bracket. The fight will be to get as many through the quarters as possible; on Friday night, we will have a no-trespassing sign on the door.

Reactions: 1AA and ccdiver
i'd like to shout out chase mielnik, maryland's 184lb wrestler, who was 0-8 against big ten foes this season going in to the tournament, earning the 14 seed.

he lost his first 2 matches to go to 0-10. after dropping down to the 9th place bracket, he got a fall in sudden victory, a decision win, and a 2nd period fall against an iowa wrestler to (edited: ) punch his ticket to NCAAs! (2nd edit: ) become eligible for an at large meet 1 of the 5 criteria for an at large bid.

Last edited:
i'd like to shout out chase mielnik, maryland's 184lb wrestler, who was 0-8 against big ten foes this season going in to the tournament, earning the 14 seed.

he lost his first 2 matches to go to 0-10. after dropping down to the 9th place bracket, he got a fall in sudden victory, a decision win, and a 2nd period fall against an iowa wrestler to punch his ticket to NCAAs!
Nice. And he beat Riggins from the almighty Sebolt Academy to punch his ticket

The one stat I found amazing was Braeden Davis faced over 20+ years of college wrestling experience in his 4 opponents.
I heard it was 23 years, that’s amazing.

And Braeden’s comments after the final match indicate he wasn’t at all concerned about that. Mrs JA says he looks like a little kid. Loved watching Braeden!

The one stat I found amazing was Braeden Davis faced over 20+ years of college wrestling experience in his 4 opponents.
His lack of experience showed when moments before his finals match(according to Ironhead) Davis was on the mat ready to go when someone approached and directed him back through the tunnel to wait for the pa announcers introduction. Funny sidenote from Byers. Good luck next week at NCAAS Braeden. You surely earned it.

His lack of experience showed when moments before his finals match(according to Ironhead) Davis was on the mat ready to go when someone approached and directed him back through the tunnel to wait for the pa announcers introduction. Funny sidenote from Byers. Good luck next week at NCAAS Braeden. You surely earned it.
pretty sure Mckee was out there as well

I heard it was 23 years, that’s amazing.

And Braeden’s comments after the final match indicate he wasn’t at all concerned about that. Mrs JA says he looks like a little kid. Loved watching Braeden!
He may look like a little kid, but that kid is a powerhouse. Like Tomasello. Tomasello had that high pitched voice but had lats wider than a door

The same thing is always said at the end of these tournaments...

PSU guys deliver when the lights are brightest and they are all very fresh at the end. They could keep wrestling.

Cael's secret sauce is really potent and kind of like some really good moonshine that's getting stronger every year!

Nice. And he beat Riggins from the almighty Sebolt Academy to punch his ticket
He actually didn’t. Big 10 has 8 auto qualifiers. They wrestle the 9th place bracket because finishing one spot away from AQ is used to determine eligibility for an “at large”. He won’t get an at large. But getting a couple wins has to be a nice end to his season.

Edit: I meant to reply to the OP. My bad.

He actually didn’t. Big 10 has 8 auto qualifiers. They wrestle the 9th place bracket because finishing one spot away from AQ is used to determine eligibility for an “at large”. He won’t get an at large. But getting a couple wins has to be a nice end to his season.

Edit: I meant to reply to the OP. My bad.

thanks for the correction. he and his coach certainly celebrated like he qualified.

can you explain what that means for eligibility? carter didn't finish one spot away from and automatic qualifier but people have been talking like he's a lock for an at large. are there other stipulations that make you eligible, like coaches ranking?

thanks for the correction. he and his coach certainly celebrated like he qualified.

can you explain what that means for eligibility? carter didn't finish one spot away from and automatic qualifier but people have been talking like he's a lock for an at large. are there other stipulations that make you eligible, like coaches ranking?
To be eligible for a wild card you have to meet 2 of the following criteria.

70% or higher win%
Top 33 RPI or Coaches ranking
Win against 1 opponent who is an auto qualifier
One spot away from being an auto qualifier
70% or higher win% in all matches. (This includes matches against any opponents not Div 1.

Carter easily meets more than 2.

They then take all the eligible at large guys and run comparisons to determine who gets in. The comparison is the same as they do for seeding

Head to head 25%
Quality wins (wins against opponents making the NCAA tourney) 20%
Conference Placement 25%
RPI 10%
Coaches 10%
Common opponents. 10%
Win% 10%

he lost his first 2 matches to go to 0-10. after dropping down to the 9th place bracket, he got a fall in sudden victory, a decision win, and a 2nd period fall against an iowa wrestler to (edited: ) punch his ticket to NCAAs! become eligible for an at large.
It will be forever known as pulling a mielnik.

* 20.5 bonus points
Kasak and Brooks led the way with 4 each.
One thing I liked about this is Brooks got his 4 bonus points in three matches, Hardy and Rogotzke had 6 matches to get their 5

Reactions: jack66
These cats see the Babyface assassin and think they're going to big brother him and horse him around, and about 30 seconds into the match when they realize they can't, they just can't figure it out 😂

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT