ADVERTISEMENT

latest Suriano news

I just hope the desire to leave was Nick's.

Wrestling for Rutgers could be an interesting experience for him. After spending the last 5 years with Bergen and PSU, I have to wonder whether lack of team success -- and the atmosphere that comes with it -- will be an unforeseen factor that makes the grass a little browner.

I really have no idea, but it is a thought that came to mind and I hadn't seen mentioned . . .

I just hope the desire to leave was Nick's.

Wrestling for Rutgers could be an interesting experience for him. After spending the last 5 years with Bergen and PSU, I have to wonder whether lack of team success -- and the atmosphere that comes with it -- will be an unforeseen factor that makes the grass a little browner.

I really have no idea, but it is a thought that came to mind and I hadn't seen mentioned . . .
Ha! Good point. Usually, people go where the grass *seems* greener and find out it's less green than expected. Here, Suriano is going where the grass already seems browner. What is one step below brown grass? Rock grass? Dirt grass? Broken-glass for grass?

Last edited:
Ha! Good point. Usually, people go where the grass *seems* greener and find out it's less green than expected. Here, Suriano is going where the grass already seems browner. What is one step below brown grass? Rock grass? Dirt grass? Broken-glass for grass?

Dadgum crabgrass!!! How do they get rid of that stuff in Iceland?

Reactions: Dogwelder
I'll be honest.. at this point I could care less about Suriano.. I am absolutely at a loss as to how PSU continually gets shafted by the Big 10 and stays in it. I mean we have a top flight kid in Cortez come over and sit his ass for a year as the rules call for and then for zero legitimate reason this kid gets a free pass to go to a competing team within the conference without any restrictions.. I am not one of those people who can thus just wish the kid the best.. I wish him no personal injury of course but I absolutely will not be rooting for him to do well.

Not to mention, the way the Suriano's timed this, they made it very difficult for PSU to look for a possible transfer of their own.

Not to mention, the way the Suriano's timed this, they made it very difficult for PSU to look for a possible transfer of their own.

Agree, I think they stuck it to this team.. the team who he committed to in the first place.. I am ok with a kid going where he wants.. do it in a way that doesn't outright hose your previous institution and also do it within the rules. The fact the Big 10 is exempting him from those rules infuriates me.. I can't stand the way the Big 10 continually craps on PSU...

I am absolutely at a loss as to how PSU continually gets shafted by the Big 10 and stays in it.
We all know the reason: money. B10 is the most lucrative conference. Maryland could not crawl out of its massive athletics debt anywhere else. Point taken, but that much money pays for some agony.

With you (I think) on Suriano. I'll root for him when PSU needs it, i.e. vs. Tomasello. Otherwise, apathy. Enough PA guys to root for, and guys like Stout who worked with the coaches instead of behind their backs and left on good terms.

We all know the reason: money. B10 is the most lucrative conference. Maryland could not crawl out of its massive athletics debt anywhere else. Point taken, but that much money pays for some agony.

With you (I think) on Suriano. I'll root for him when PSU needs it, i.e. vs. Tomasello. Otherwise, apathy. Enough PA guys to root for, and guys like Stout who worked with the coaches instead of behind their backs and left on good terms.
Yeah...selfishly when it aids us I will hope he wins.. otherwise.. no...

I won't believe that the BIG granted NS a waiver until I hear it from source a LOT more reliable than nj.com.

Also, Cortez sitting out didn't hurt us as he was going to start ahead of Conaway in any case.

I won't believe that the BIG granted NS a waiver until I hear it from source a LOT more reliable than nj.com.

There is that. The source for the info is the Rutgers staff, who has made up stuff or told partial truths throughout the process.

It hurt Cortez though.

Yes. It was more painful because he had already redshirted at Illinois. He probably stands a better chance of an additional year for medical reasons at this point. I think he would be eligible for that, or am I mistaken?

Yes. It was more painful because he had already redshirted at Illinois. He probably stands a better chance of an additional year for medical reasons at this point. I think he would be eligible for that, or am I mistaken?
Doesn't seem likely -- have to miss 2 years with injury, and he hasn't missed 1 for injury yet.

Also, Cortez sitting out didn't hurt us as he was going to start ahead of Conaway in any case.

Given Nick's instagram post includes "see you at Yankee Stadium," i.e. Rutgers' season opener against Maryland, it seems very likely he's been granted a waiver.

Doesn't seem likely -- have to miss 2 years with injury, and he hasn't missed 1 for injury yet.
With Teasdale, RBY and Nick Lee, doesn't matter if Cortez got a 6th year or not, no room at the inn (at least at PSU). 6th year would let him go somewhere else.

He lost a year of eligibility. You can argue he was not beating Conway in a wrestle off, the point is he never got the chance.

He beat Jordan at the Nittany Lion Open, so it is really possible that Cortez could've ended up at 133 for us. Not sure he places better than Conaway though.

I am assuming based on Nick's instagram that he is a go this year and there is literally NOTHING the Big 10 could say that would make me think him not sitting is legit. Complete crap.. move on if you want but do so within the rules..

I am assuming based on Nick's instagram that he is a go this year and there is literally NOTHING the Big 10 could say that would make me think him not sitting is legit. Complete crap.. move on if you want but do so within the rules..
This is a fair beef.

Given Nick's instagram post includes "see you at Yankee Stadium," i.e. Rutgers' season opener against Maryland, it seems very likely he's been granted a waiver.

early word on the weather that day at yankee stadium is BAD! Talked to my buddy Karma this morning and thats what im hearing. He talked to Someone and he said Noone was planning on going anyway.

early word on the weather that day at yankee stadium is BAD! Talked to my buddy Karma this morning and thats what im hearing. He talked to Someone and he said Noone was planning on going anyway.
Risky business, tempting Mother Nature. Twice in the past 2 years it's worked out...only a matter of time till it doesn't.

Even though the Suriano saga has ground to a disappointing halt.....this thread can easily top 5,000 by midnight if every person who bashed smalls103 apologizes on here. :)

FWIW, I think I'm seeing fall arrive a bit early here in New England -- well, earlier than the past several years.

With Teasdale, RBY and Nick Lee, doesn't matter if Cortez got a 6th year or not, no room at the inn (at least at PSU). 6th year would let him go somewhere else.
That's more than a little presumptuous at this point.

Noone is the only one at that game, hurricane or not.

Agree, I think they stuck it to this team.. the team who he committed to in the first place.. I am ok with a kid going where he wants.. do it in a way that doesn't outright hose your previous institution and also do it within the rules. The fact the Big 10 is exempting him from those rules infuriates me.. I can't stand the way the Big 10 continually craps on PSU...

I agree with this. Suriano could have started this ball rolling in May instead of August. I don't know if it would have definitely made a difference in what Penn State did to fill the spot at 125, but it could have. I don't know about crapping on Penn State, but it certainly is a big black eye for the Big Ten. They look to be a back room politics kind of organization with zero transparency.

I'll be honest.. at this point I could care less about Suriano.. I am absolutely at a loss as to how PSU continually gets shafted by the Big 10 and stays in it. I mean we have a top flight kid in Cortez come over and sit his ass for a year as the rules call for and then for zero legitimate reason this kid gets a free pass to go to a competing team within the conference without any restrictions.. I am not one of those people who can thus just wish the kid the best.. I wish him no personal injury of course but I absolutely will not be rooting for him to do well.
I don't know why we are all consistently surprised by these B1G decisions. If Suriano is not granted a waiver, he could decide to stay at Penn State so he doesn't lose a year of eligibility. With the waiver, he is definitely gone. So the B1G grants him the waiver; who benefits the most from that decision - tOSU. Ditto with Cortez. A move by Cortez helps PSU, it doesn't help tOSU or Michigan - thus, deny the waiver. Some things just never change regardless of the sport.

I agree with this. Suriano could have started this ball rolling in May instead of August. I don't know if it would have definitely made a difference in what Penn State did to fill the spot at 125, but it could have. I don't know about crapping on Penn State, but it certainly is a big black eye for the Big Ten. They look to be a back room politics kind of organization with zero transparency.
Let's not over-dramatize this. Delany craps bigger than Suriano.

Yeah, unless it's related to football or basketball, hard to imagine a black eye for the B1G.

We care. Rutgers wrestling fans care. Other wrestling fans are undoubtedly entertained by the outcome. Add that all up, and it amounts to very little.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Would it be right or wrong to hope that Noone gets struck by lightning? These advanced proper-pronoun nouns are making my head spin. I just hope we're hearing from Karma and not that troll Karma Chameleon. :)

lots of conspiracies here, while admitting process not very transparent to this point

seems_a_little_crazy_weird_al.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT