ADVERTISEMENT

latest Suriano news

I respectfully disagree that NS being a member of the RU team for the upcoming season "screws" PSU or will have a detrimental effect. Yes, NS will win his weight class in the duel meet but when it comes down to the BIG TEN and National championship team races he will knock off competitors from other schools that are thought to be legitimate contenders for the team title.

I don't mean in regards to dual meets or even the tourney. It is the big picture and how the rule can be waived to benefit some teams (Micic to UM) and allow easier transfer from other schools. I would rather the rule be applied consistently and we depend on our wrestlers - not RU wrestlers- to win championships.

Reactions: DEKE-82 and plcoolg
Dunno if anyone pointed it out, but having Nick eligible this year probably helps Penn State, since the class would be NaTo's for the taking if he goes 125. Same thing if Nick goes 133--neither weight figures big for us but both would be important for tOSU if they're going to top us in March.

Reactions: hlstone
Interesting take, I saw it shortly after it came out and personally wasn't all that impressed. I'm a bit of a World War II Buff and thought it lacked historical context and jumped around too much. The special effects were very good so it may win an Oscar for that but there were probably a lot of people who saw the movie that didn't really know about the circumstances that lead to Dunkirk and probably still didn't after the movie was over. It was also the loudest movie I ever went to, so loud in fact that it took away from the enjoyment of the movie.
I'm a WWII history buff too but the lack of context didn't bother me because I know longer expect a two hour movie to provide it. I was watching it more from a story telling stand point and thought it was magnificent. It was just a well told story that left no stone unturned in terms of the medium. and you are right this might as well have happened on the moon.

Reactions: Flying_Tiger
I'm inclined to think the rule is now a joke and only there to stop title contenders from poaching players.. makes no sense that he gets to avoid the rule but cortez can not? I bet he would lose a year if he was transferring from Rutgers to PSU.

Reactions: Fink
Wow, I can finally stop visiting this thread 10 times a day to see if there was an update. :)

Moral of the story is just don't grant the student athlete to any in conference team and then the next year is on their dime. I don't like it, but this outcome surely does encourage it.

Dunno if anyone pointed it out, but having Nick eligible this year probably helps Penn State, since the class would be NaTo's for the taking if he goes 125. Same thing if Nick goes 133--neither weight figures big for us but both would be important for tOSU if they're going to top us in March.

It's absolutely better for PSU for him to wrestle this year for Rutgers Than to sit out. That being said , i very much look forward to rooting for spencer Lee to kick his ass

I guess the rumor was true! The cruiseliner made the journey. Oh well....so much for rules. Cant wait to hear the reasoning.

The problem is we most likely will never hear the reasoning and that is the issue. The BIG isn't exactly known for its transparency. When it is all said and done this actually helps out PSU in the long run, as NS has the potential to keep one of the OSU's wrestlers from placing higher (in theory) in the tournament. I just don't understand why there is a rule and it is not followed.

If true, I guess a few of our guys that spent an enormous amount of time on the RU board stating over and over and over again how this can't happen because of the rules really feel like douche bags right now. Douche bags with egg on their faces yet to boot...

There was a lot of garbage posted over there so I don't fault those guys for defending the coaching staff. Weren't the Rutgers fans the ones that said this could not happen without Cael's sign off? Didn't they vilify him to no end for refusing to cooperate? So either they were wrong and Cael signed off on the transfer or they were wrong and didn't need a sign off. I would say a lot of them should feel like the Delta Bravos right now.

There was a lot of garbage posted over there so I don't fault those guys for defending the coaching staff. Weren't the Rutgers fans the ones that said this could not happen without Cael's sign off? Didn't they vilify him to no end for refusing to cooperate? So either they were wrong and Cael signed off on the transfer or they were wrong and didn't need a sign off. I would say a lot of them should feel like the Delta Bravos right now.
Would a sign off be needed if Nick was kicked off the team? I've alluded to this in the past and felt Cael was in a tough position when it comes to practicing what he preaches.

Feeling he was going to lose a year, Nick tells Cael he is coming back even though he'd rather be at Rutgers and a few other schools for that matter. Cael, not wanting anyone in his room that isn't all in and no longer wants to represent PSU decides he doesn't want him around the rest of his teammates and essentially kicks him off the team.

At this point, would the transfer rules even apply to Nick since Cael broke the contract between the two sides? Wouldn't Nick then be allowed to go to any school that he wishes?

Reactions: Creek Side
Feeling he was going to lose a year, Nick tells Cael he is coming back even though he'd rather be at Rutgers and a few other schools for that matter. Cael, not wanting anyone in his room that isn't all in and no longer wants to represent PSU decides he doesn't want him around the rest of his teammates and essentially kicks him off the team.

At this point, would the transfer rules even apply to Nick since Cael broke the contract between the two sides? Wouldn't Nick then be allowed to go to any school that he wishes?
Is this just something hypothetical you came up with or something you heard? I actually heard that rumor recently and was just thinking that the way things are playing out that there could be truth to it, but who knows.

Im glad the drama is over and if the kid wanted to be elsewhere, so be it. But we have to wonder why the Conference decided to give him immediate eligibility with no penalty. It seems like they would not want to set this precedent for obvious reasons. Being homesick doesn't seem like enough.

I remember a quote from Cael after Nick's injury that I thought was a little strange at the time. I don't remember 100% but it was something to the effect that Nick was struggling a little bit dealing with it because he had never been injured before.
I thought it was strange because, first of all I assumed just about every wrestker has had some form of injury before, my kids only wrestled through high school and they had their share. Plus my take away from Nick was that I expected more maturity from him, again, just my impression at the time.
To me this entire thing shows a lack of maturity, I know people are saying he was pulled in a million directions. And many blame the parents, but I guess I expected more. I do not personally know him, and feel a bit bad even saying these things. I do not want to throw him under the bus, but he lost some respect in my mind. I will not root against him, but also will not root for him, unless he is wrestling a tOSU kid and it helps our cause.

Reactions: lockhavenlion3
Would a sign off be needed if Nick was kicked off the team? I've alluded to this in the past and felt Cael was in a tough position when it comes to practicing what he preaches.

This is nonsense. One of the following would have to be true: Cael kicked him off the team and then drove to his house in NJ to beg him to come back, or Cael drove to his house to beg him to come back and then kicked him off the team.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I remember a quote from Cael after Nick's injury that I thought was a little strange at the time. I don't remember 100% but it was something to the effect that Nick was struggling a little bit dealing with it because he had never been injured before.
I thought it was strange because, first of all I assumed just about every wrestker has had some form of injury before, my kids only wrestled through high school and they had their share. Plus my take away from Nick was that I expected more maturity from him, again, just my impression at the time.
To me this entire thing shows a lack of maturity, I know people are saying he was pulled in a million directions. And many blame the parents, but I guess I expected more. I do not personally know him, and feel a bit bad even saying these things. I do not want to throw him under the bus, but he lost some respect in my mind. I will not root against him, but also will not root for him, unless he is wrestling a tOSU kid and it helps our cause.
Of course all wrestlers get dinged. The context was that Suriano had never had an injury that caused him to miss time.

Of course all wrestlers get dinged. The context was that Suriano had never had an injury that caused him to miss time.
And my context is the same. Plus, more focused on the part of the comment from Cael where he seemed almost surprised he wasnt handling it better. Again, hazy remembrance of my 54 year old brain, but I thought it strange at the time.

And my context is the same. Plus, more focused on the part of the comment from Cael where he seemed almost surprised he wasnt handling it better. Again, hazy remembrance of my 54 year old brain, but I thought it strange at the time.
That was your inference. Certainly nothing Cael actually said.

This may be a slippery slope the Big 10 has created. That being said, I assume, the reasons for the transfer were deemed a sufficient hardship. As such I will remain a huge fan of Suriano and wish him the best against all but blue and white. Good luck Nick, I pray all works out for you personally and athleticly.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
This is nonsense. One of the following would have to be true: Cael kicked him off the team and then drove to his house in NJ to beg him to come back, or Cael drove to his house to beg him to come back and then kicked him off the team.
I'm not trying to say it happened, but I don't think it would be unreasonable to think for Cael to have made a trip down to try and convince NS to come back, and expect a reply from NS within a reasonable amount of time. With NS continued attempt to try to get out of PSU after the visit by Cael, and then the family realizing that NS was going to have to sit a year to make RU happen , NS thought screw it, I'll go back to PSU. Cael then said no thanks Nick your heart isn't in it. That gave NS a hell of a case to take to the B10, saying I'm not welcome back on the PSU team.

Again, I'm just taking a rumor i heard and making it fit the story.

Is this just something hypothetical you came up with or something you heard? I actually heard that rumor recently and was just thinking that the way things are playing out that there could be truth to it, but who knows.
I alluded to this over a month ago. I even made a post where I felt Cael was stuck between a rock and hard place when it comes to his belief that his wrestlers are all in. I felt he was struggling with keeping a wrestler around that doesn't want to be in his room representing PSU. I even posed a question to the forum asking if it's possible that Cael may not even want him back if Nick decides to return where i got a chilly response....El Jefe may have been one of them.

The week leading up to the Cael and Mr. Suriano meeting, we became optimistic because of rumors that Nick was returning to PSU. There were rumors here by our fans and some on the RU board. Even the insider Bill on the Rutgers board changed his tune and said Nick may return to PSU after emphatically stating for months that it was either Rutgers or another non Big10 school.

After the meeting with Mr. Suriano, things became quite sour for us on the rumor front. Rutgers fans including Bill were now saying he wasn't going back to PSU. What changed? In my opinion, something happened during that meeting.

I dont know what the deal is. I'm speculating like everyone else but from day 1 I've always felt Cael was struggling with the fact that having a wrestler in his room that doesn't want to be there goes against everything he's said in the past about wrestlers buying in and wanting to be part of something special. Is it so far fetched to believe that even if Nick wanted to return so he doesn't lose a year of eligibility that Cael would say thanks but no thanks?

Last edited:
Nope not saying that at all. I feel Nick was a part of the team all summer. I feel after Cael was informed Nick was looking to transfer, Cael went to see the Surianos and talk about things and maybe even rerecruit him per se. I think the longer this went throughout the summer, Nick making it quite clear that he doesn't want to be at PSU that Cael had to make some tough decisions if Nick was forced to come back to not lose a year of eligibility. I think something went down during the meeting between Mr Suriano and Cael. I feel it was during this meeting that Cael informed Nick he was no longer part of the team. If Nick was ready to come back so he doesn't lose a year, I'm not ready to accept the fact that Cael would welcome wrestlers in his room that would rather represent Rutgers. I'm just not...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT