ADVERTISEMENT

LB Situation

bdgan

May 29, 2008
The starters are likely Rojas, King, and Deluca. King is solid but not spectacular. CFN lists him as the 10th best LB in the BiG. Rojas has shown flashes but has to take a big step up for PSU to be successful. Deluca is fun to cheer for because he was lightly recruited and he plays hard. CFN lists him as the 17th best LB in the BiG. I'd give the group a B. A lot obviously depends on Rojas.

Depth is a major concern. Elsdon has struggled. Wylie is young and was rated .88. Robinson was rated 91 but is probably more likely to wind up as a DE. I'd give this group a D.

The good news is that the staff will probably move Carter back to LB as needed.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
The starters are likely Rojas, King, and Deluca. King is solid but not spectacular. CFN lists him as the 10th best LB in the BiG. Rojas has shown flashes but has to take a big step up for PSU to be successful. Deluca is fun to cheer for because he was lightly recruited and he plays hard. CFN lists him as the 17th best LB in the BiG. I'd give the group a B. A lot obviously depends on Rojas.

Depth is a major concern. Elsdon has struggled. Wylie is young and was rated .88. Robinson was rated 91 but is probably more likely to wind up as a DE. I'd give this group a D.

How often will DC Allen employ the 4-2-5 defensive scheme that he has previously utilized?

If the base 'D' only requires 2 LB's, the need for experienced depth could be somewhat mitigated.

How often will DC Allen employ the 4-2-5 defensive scheme that he has previously utilized?

If the base 'D' only requires 2 LB's, the need for experienced depth could be somewhat mitigated.
I expect some of that. It's might be good to have a 5th DB spy on Garrett Greene. I'm less optimistic about a 5th DB's ability to stop a power running attack.

Dakaari's move to LB might help but he's only a RS freshman and a bit underweight.

Last edited:
I do not think this is the year we see many power running attacks, thankfully.

So long as we stay healthy at LB we'll be fine. I'd agree with a B grade with the arrow pointing up. King has improved significantly each year and hopefully this trend continues under Allen. Rojas had to tap the obvious potential. Deluca is way better than anyone seems to realize. Other than a bad decision against Mich, he played well. Backups are the big Q.

Against pound it teams we can run 3 LBs, but we don't play many of those teams. Also, Reed is about 210lbs which is not bad size and he's a solid tackler.

Consensus from camp is that T Robinson has had the light go on. Hope that's true. Hate to see Abdul yo-yo'd back and forth.

Not even depth? That is my concern.
Only if we get to Elsdon as a starter. If we want to ignore Tom Allen's defenses that played the OSU run and pass tough and expect him to play away from this teams strength for some crazy reason, depth would worry me.

Only if we get to Elsdon as a starter. If we want to ignore Tom Allen's defenses that played the OSU run and pass tough and expect him to play away from this teams strength for some crazy reason, depth would worry me.
I think the 4-2-5 will work well with King/Rojas with Deluca & Wylie or Robinson spelling them. Like you I use don't think Elsden is up to the task. So if King should go down, then LB situation is hurting.

I think we have a gem as a DC with Allen.. incredible what he did with a fraction of the talent at Indiana., he may be licking his chops with what he has here and will scheme accordingly on where we are strongest and weakest.. our Defense will be fine., it’s really comes down to Allar and our receivers IMO..how good can our offense be ? Or.. not be..

I think the 4-2-5 will work well with King/Rojas with Deluca & Wylie or Robinson spelling them. Like you I use don't think Elsden is up to the task. So if King should go down, then LB situation is hurting.

Wylie is still injured.

King is solid. If he had been much better, he would have turned pro already.

Rojas has big shoes to fill, but seems ready. No substitute for doing it.

Deluca and Elsdon are experienced depth. In this era of the portal, we're lucky they didn't leave for more playing time, even if it meant a drop in level.

Hopefully Robinson can get some snaps and develop. It's probably his job next year.

Nobody is going to be happy if they have to play their 3rd or 4th string LB. That is probably true freshman Kari Jackson.

Wylie is still injured.

King is solid. If he had been much better, he would have turned pro already.

Rojas has big shoes to fill, but seems ready. No substitute for doing it.

Deluca and Elsdon are experienced depth. In this era of the portal, we're lucky they didn't leave for more playing time, even if it meant a drop in level.

Hopefully Robinson can get some snaps and develop. It's probably his job next year.

Nobody is going to be happy if they have to play their 3rd or 4th string LB. That is probably true freshman Kari Jackson.
I forgot Wylie is still injured.

Opening game. WVU backings s converted d end that runs people over. We have s light team in the will run hom all day.

Also, our LBs aren’t known for their speed. Could be tough covering backs and/TEs eith speed.

Depth is also a concern. One of two go down the backups are pretty inexperienced.

When could Wylie return? Robinson is very key for depth. Hopefully he has developed.

Opening game. WVU backings s converted d end that runs people over. We have s light team in the will run hom all day.

Also, our LBs aren’t known for their speed. Could be tough covering backs and/TEs eith speed.

Depth is also a concern. One of two go down the backups are pretty inexperienced.
Isn’t Rojas a speedster?

So long as we stay healthy at LB we'll be fine. I'd agree with a B grade with the arrow pointing up. King has improved significantly each year and hopefully this trend continues under Allen. Rojas had to tap the obvious potential. Deluca is way better than anyone seems to realize. Other than a bad decision against Mich, he played well. Backups are the big Q.

Against pound it teams we can run 3 LBs, but we don't play many of those teams. Also, Reed is about 210lbs which is not bad size and he's a solid tackler.

Consensus from camp is that T Robinson has had the light go on. Hope that's true. Hate to see Abdul yo-yo'd back and forth.
I expect Abdul to line up wherever we need him. That would be easier if Zuriah Fisher wasn't hurt.

Reactions: NittanyPirate
But WVU is such a team. Didn't they lead the B12 in rushing yards per game last season? They ran the ball reall well against Diaz's defense last season, and their top RB's are back. The WVU game may see Carter at Will and Rojas at Sam, with Vilbert getting some time at DE. Vanover is pretty stout at DE as well, and the PSU 2 deep at DT are all back. To me that's the key, stopping WVU from driving the ball down the field running the ball. With the talented returning QB they may just dink some short passes to keep PSU off balance and try to keep drives going. The PSU offense needs to put up points in the first half and put some pressure on WVU to score.....

But WVU is such a team. Didn't they lead the B12 in rushing yards per game last season? They ran the ball reall well against Diaz's defense last season, and their top RB's are back. The WVU game may see Carter at Will and Rojas at Sam, with Vilbert getting some time at DE. Vanover is pretty stout at DE as well, and the PSU 2 deep at DT are all back. To me that's the key, stopping WVU from driving the ball down the field running the ball. With the talented returning QB they may just dink some short passes to keep PSU off balance and try to keep drives going. The PSU offense needs to put up points in the first half and put some pressure on WVU to score.....

Yes they did, lead in rushing. I fail to see how their 146 (on more rushing attempts) is considered "really well" and our 146 is typically considered "contained" (although you didn't make this comment, many have).

I don't think they can dink and dunk as it hasn't much been Greene's strong suit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT