ADVERTISEMENT

Lehigh: Go

Actually, the writer is the beat writer for Lehigh Valley area for the Allentown Call-Chronicle (or at least was) and other publications and was awarded Amateur Wrestling News top wrestling writer award back in 2020, so he's not a hack or a hater, at least imo. https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/hi...ilson-named-nations-top-wrestling-writer.html

And he acknowledged it's not a popular opinion (nor very astute in my mind - the solution is for other programs to get better. And there's nothing wrong with inducing other programs to get better).
What was his opinion on Northampton Dynasty back in the day?

I bet I know.

dafuq-wtf.gif

(The Bears only enduring tradition is having terrible QBs.)
So let me guess, you're like, 23?

The bozo that wrote that article missed a critical point. Cael isn’t being paid to make wrestling popular or competitive. He’s being paid to put the best team possible out on the mat. Same goes for Brands and any other coach that makes decisions that some fans don’t like.
Exactly, like Santoro wouldn't be doing the same thing...IF HE COULD.

Reactions: AgSurfer
So let me guess, you're like, 23?

Lol, ok, I'll play along here. This is a fun topic. Let's take a look at the 4 teams that were cited.

Baseball - Yankees
It would be very difficult to argue against the Yankees as being the most iconic and tradition rich MLB team. The Dodgers would probably be second.

Basketball - Celtics
Another ubiquitous team. Tied with the Lakers (who would also be a good choice here) for most NBA titles.

Hockey - Canadiens
They have the most Cups in NHL history. They haven't had much success recently but they are one of the original 6 and have had multiple dynasties. The Red Wings would be another good pick here.

Football - Bears
One Super Bowl win in two appearances. They did have a bunch of NFL championships in the 30s and 40s but you have to be a lot older than 23 to remember those. In modern history, they were iconic for a few year stretch in the mid to late 80s but haven't had much sustained success since then. The blue bloods that are national teams: Cowboys, Steelers and Packers. I'd even put the Eagles ahead of the Bears.

Football - Bears
One Super Bowl win in two appearances. They did have a bunch of NFL championships in the 30s and 40s but you have to be a lot older than 23 to remember those. In modern history, they were iconic for a few year stretch in the mid to late 80s but haven't had much sustained success since then. The blue bloods that are national teams: Cowboys, Steelers and Packers. I'd even put the Eagles ahead of the Bears.
You could argue the rise in popularity was due to a dynasty (The NFL / Colts) losing to an underdog (The AFL / Jets).
Based on this, I'm looking for an exponential gain in NCAA Wrestling over the next few years...

Football - Bears
A whole lot of Iconic Bears is probably Dick Butkus.

Vito win?
Just back from the match. It was a good one. Lehigh was down 13-5 after 165 (match started at 133) and things didn't look great for them.

There was a path to victory though. Bump up a 165 to 174. Did that.

Then avoid bonus at 184 with Foca. That didn't look good as Wilt was nearly pinned early. But he fought off his back. Foca got gassed and Wilt got two 3rd period takedowns to wipe out Foca's bonus point advantage.

So Lehigh was down 16-8 going into the last 3 matches. Win them by regular decision and Lehigh would win 17-16. That's what happened.

Beard won despite giving up the first takedown. Cardenas also looked gassed. Taylor was up and managed to not get turned in the 3rd period to preserve his win.

125 closed out the match. Ungar didn't look convincing in the first period and Stanich was closer to getting a takedown. Second period Stanich rode Ungar the entire second period, Ungar got dinged a point for stalling and was nearly put on his back. 3rd period Stanich got a quick escape and Ungar never got a takedown or even mounted a serious try for one. Lehigh wins 17-16.

Vito not wrestling had a major impact on the outcome.

You could argue the rise in popularity was due to a dynasty (The NFL / Colts) losing to an underdog (The AFL / Jets).
Based on this, I'm looking for an exponential gain in NCAA Wrestling over the next few years...
OsF0R_.gif
now she can't watch the commercials!!

So happy Lehigh pulled it out. Love watching Michael Beard. Hope he comes in 2nd this year.

With all the ducking Cornell has done the last couple years and the obnoxious wife of the coach..Cornell is by far the team I love to root against

He didn't wrestle....not sure why he wasn't in the lineup. Injured?

Crookham tech'd the backup...so that was really the match with no Vito.
Interesting. Nationals seeding will come down to eiwa tournament final then. I thought Cornell wanted this for Vito. If Vito beats Crookham then Vito gets the 1 seed.

I don't see a guy like Vito giving a crap what his seed is at nationals. I bet he just wants to be healthy as possible going into March
We know where YOU went his seed though. Not gonna happen. If Vito beats Crookham at eiwas, Vito gets the 1 and Nagao makes it to Saturday night when he beats Crookham in the semis.

So happy Lehigh pulled it out. Love watching Michael Beard. Hope he comes in 2nd this year.

With all the ducking Cornell has done the last couple years and the obnoxious wife of the coach..Cornell is by far the team I love to root against
What a 🤣 joke this "injury" Vito has 😂

Vito was injured. He'll be back when his seed at natties is safer. :rolleyes:
Vito is fun to watch. I hope he gets better soon.

But if he does have nattieseeditus, I understand that can be tough to shake and will intermittently reappear just when a wrestler seems healthy. Fortunately, some coaches have developed a surprising knack for treating it. So, Vito should be fine.

Interesting. Nationals seeding will come down to eiwa tournament final then. I thought Cornell wanted this for Vito. If Vito beats Crookham then Vito gets the 1 seed.
Given that Crookham already won once and that they’re going to meet again in the EIWA finals, mathematically, there was only downside for Vito wrestling yesterday. If they meet twice, the winner of the EIWA finals will get the 1 seed. If they meet three times, the winner of two of the three will get the 1. Either way, Vito needs to win the EIWA to get the 1, but if he had wrestled yesterday and lost, he loses any chance at the 1.

To be fair to Vito in this instance, he didn’t wrestle either match this weekend and Grey said Wednesday or Thursday that he wouldn’t.

Given that Crookham already won once and that they’re going to meet again in the EIWA finals, mathematically, there was only downside for Vito wrestling yesterday. If they meet twice, the winner of the EIWA finals will get the 1 seed. If they meet three times, the winner of two of the three will get the 1. Either way, Vito needs to win the EIWA to get the 1, but if he had wrestled yesterday and lost, he loses any chance at the 1.
According to the NCAA seeding criteria, if Fix stays at 133 and Arujau beats Crookham once, then Fix is probably the 1 seed. (Some criteria are a wash; Fix would own some; others are too early to tell.)

An undefeated Crookham is the 1 seed according to the criteria.

Also, there was a downside to Arujau not facing Crookham yesterday: if Crookham wins EIWAs, then Arujau is the 4 or 5 seed, gets Crookham again in the semis, and has tougher matches throughout. Not that Arujau cares about seeding.

Of course this all changes if Fix drops to 125 -- including possible chaos if Arujau beats Crookham. (It's impossible to tell right now who would win the seeding criteria between Arujau, Nagao, and Crookham.)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT