ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s be honest…

creamery

Jul 28, 2009
PSU is an above average team. We’re not elite. And that will make beating OSU and the top SEC teams very difficult. Don’t want to hear about us starting slow or needing to clean things up. We don’t have a stud receiver and our back 7 has some issues along with a very average pass rush. USC game will tell us some things about our secondary but they (USC) are not elite either. Perhaps we catch lightening in a bottle vs OSU but today’s performance shows we are what we are. Don’t need a team meeting or to ‘try harder’. After a team plays a few games you get a pretty clear picture of what they can do.

PSU is an above average team. We’re not elite. And that will make beating OSU and the top SEC teams very difficult. Don’t want to hear about us starting slow or needing to clean things up. We don’t have a stud receiver and our back 7 has some issues along with a very average pass rush. USC game will tell us some things about our secondary but they (USC) are not elite either. Perhaps we catch lightening in a bottle vs OSU but today’s performance shows we are what we are. Don’t need a team meeting or to ‘try harder’. After a team plays a few games you get a pretty clear picture of what they can do.
So not having Singleton meant nothing today? And OSU appears to be getting a fight today from a team that is average.

• Haha
Reactions: step.eng69

I gotta disagree with you a bit.

We may not be elite, but I think we're a lot better than just "above average."

Honestly, I believe our O is formidable. Drew has shown me a lot the last few weeks in his development as a QB. We all know the talent has been there from the beginning.

In addition, unlike last year, the running game is clicking, and frankly the OL looks better. Also unlike last year, the wide receivers show signs of life while our TE is arguably the best in the country.

On D, I'm pleasantly surprised. I thought there'd be a drop-off from last year's unit, which was one of the best in college football, but these guys are performing at damn near the same level to this point, five games into the season.

No question, we had an issue in the kicking department, but today's performance by Sander's replacement gives reason for hope there as well. You've got to have a dependable FG kicker to win big games against top teams.

At the end of the day, the issue is mental. Elite teams find ways to win. However, when playing elite teams the last few years, we've found ways to lose. That takes a psychological toll over time.

This is why next Saturday's game is so huge. A win will be a big-time emotional boost. A loss will bring a firestorm of predictable criticism which might even torpedo the whole season.

With that in mind, I'm hoping for the best...bracing for the worst...while knowing that best or worst, the world will continue turning the day after.

Reactions: Hero17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT