ADVERTISEMENT

Linebacker Play & Injury Status of Wylie

ryoder1

Feb 17, 2007
What is the general consensus of how we are performing from this position group? I could not watch the USC game live until the last 6 minutes of regulation so I have not had a chance to do an evaluation of how the LBs played. Clearly the 75 yard reverse was not good but wondering about the game as a whole. I'm thinking they were only average as the USC RB Marks had a big game and they put up good offensive numbers. Was there anything the LBs were not doing?

How did Rojas look, is he improving or not? Who else played meaningful snaps beyond, Rojas, King and Deluca? Robinson, Nelson?

Finally, anyone have any idea on the status of Wylie?

What is the general consensus of how we are performing from this position group? I could not watch the USC game live until the last 6 minutes of regulation so I have not had a chance to do an evaluation of how the LBs played. Clearly the 75 yard reverse was not good but wondering about the game as a whole. I'm thinking they were only average as the USC RB Marks had a big game and they put up good offensive numbers. Was there anything the LBs were not doing?

How did Rojas look, is he improving or not? Who else played meaningful snaps beyond, Rojas, King and Deluca? Robinson, Nelson?

IMHO the linebackers underperformed as did the DL. The secondary was pretty good.

• Lincoln Riley is a great HC with a very good offensive scheme. He's got a senior QB that played really well. He's got a strong arm and makes good decisions. And USC's RBs are as good as we'll see. The announcers made fun of themselves the entire day as they got into a mild argument of the strength of USC's O. LR said the RBs and the announcers kept insisting it was the WRs. Regardless, it shows you how good they are at the skill positions. For example, they often let our DEs in with little blocking but threw it right over them to a RB who had a lot of YAC.
  • I thought the LBers had trouble adjusting to USC's speed. They often took bad routes and weren't well-positioned to make plays on good RBs. By that, I mean that you have to use your body and not your arms. If you are out of position, you are grasping. And that is what our LBers did all first half. They seemed to adjust in the second half but USC's offense is just good so USC was able to move the ball but didn't post a lot of points.
  • I felt the LBers were trying to make "that big play" and often over pursued. They were hopelessly out of position on several screen plays. This is a tough call because you want them to be aggressive but still defend their assignment. With the two points above, they were often out of position and didn't get to make plays on the ball. Sometimes, that comes with trusting your fellow player. When the offense is moving the ball on you, the tendency is to try too hard and that leads to being out of position. You can't play two positions. So you have to first take care of your own assignment. I think they needed the halftime to settle down and stop panicking.

IMHO the linebackers underperformed as did the DL. The secondary was pretty good.

• Lincoln Riley is a great HC with a very good offensive scheme. He's got a senior QB that played really well. He's got a strong arm and makes good decisions. And USC's RBs are as good as we'll see. The announcers made fun of themselves the entire day as they got into a mild argument of the strength of USC's O. LR said the RBs and the announcers kept insisting it was the WRs. Regardless, it shows you how good they are at the skill positions. For example, they often let our DEs in with little blocking but threw it right over them to a RB who had a lot of YAC.
  • I thought the LBers had trouble adjusting to USC's speed. They often took bad routes and weren't well-positioned to make plays on good RBs. By that, I mean that you have to use your body and not your arms. If you are out of position, you are grasping. And that is what our LBers did all first half. They seemed to adjust in the second half but USC's offense is just good so USC was able to move the ball but didn't post a lot of points.
  • I felt the LBers were trying to make "that big play" and often over pursued. They were hopelessly out of position on several screen plays. This is a tough call because you want them to be aggressive but still defend their assignment. With the two points above, they were often out of position and didn't get to make plays on the ball. Sometimes, that comes with trusting your fellow player. When the offense is moving the ball on you, the tendency is to try too hard and that leads to being out of position. You can't play two positions. So you have to first take care of your own assignment. I think they needed the halftime to settle down and stop panicking.
They need to dial it back a notch. I don't know how many times this year I saw two or three guys run blitzing in hot pursuit in the backfield and run right past the ball carrier then he was off to the races. They need to show a little patience hem the ball carrier in for a good gang tackle.

I believe I read that Rojas has a shoulder and is playing at a bit less than 100%. I'd go easy on him right now if that's the case.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Same with the DEs IMO.
Agree. However, I think PSU's defensive game plan was to pressure USC's QB. he didn't perform well under pressure against Minny. Lincoln anticipated this and put together a game plan designed to exploit the areas behind the DE and OLB. So it made our DE's look really bad but they were just doing what they were supposed to be doing. Just my opinion, of course.

Reactions: bdroc
Agree. However, I think PSU's defensive game plan was to pressure USC's QB. he didn't perform well under pressure against Minny. Lincoln anticipated this and put together a game plan designed to exploit the areas behind the DE and OLB. So it made our DE's look really bad but they were just doing what they were supposed to be doing. Just my opinion, of course.
IIRC, the broadcast analyst indicated that we got out of the zone defenses that we were initially running and focused on press bump and run coverage.

Apparently Moss struggles more with the press coverages and is much more proficient in finding the seams against a zone D.

Reactions: Obliviax

The 1st team LB squad is generally performing good to very good. King is a stud athlete and smart veteran LB, Rojas is a stud athlete who is learning to be a smart LB ( he can get stuck in traffic, and/takes bad angles), Deluca is a good athlete and smart LB with excellent instincts…he often “sees” where the play is going before anyone else. I think our back ups are fair to good. I believe Franklin will have Speca and the other freshman play against Wiscy, OSU, and Minny, as we will need their athleticism in the back up roles. JMO.
—The LB’s last game looked pretty average, but a large part of that was a function of the official’s aversion to calling obvious/blatant holding on the massive linemen.

Last edited:
Lb play this year as been poor. 0 and 43 should only play on special teams.
I wouldn't say poor. I would say disappointing and inconsistent. I agree #43 should be on special teams and only play on defense if the game is not in doubt in the last defensive series.

Last edited:
Reactions: mhep32
The biggest problem was the speed of the running backs. We have played WVU…. whose back is a huge converted defensive end…… two Little Sisters of the Poor, and Illinois, not exactly known for their speed,

This was a huge jump in talent. Our guys were often taking terrible angles and completely missed. They were terrible at containing the corners or stringing out a run to the sideline. Came in too hard trying to make the big hit and the backs juked them out of their jocks.

Was so bad I went to my sister’s and didn’t watch the second half 😉

The biggest problem was the speed of the running backs. We have played WVU…. whose back is a huge converted defensive end…… two Little Sisters of the Poor, and Illinois, not exactly known for their speed,

This was a huge jump in talent. Our guys were often taking terrible angles and completely missed. They were terrible at containing the corners or stringing out a run to the sideline. Came in too hard trying to make the big hit and the backs juked them out of their jocks.

Was so bad I went to my sister’s and didn’t watch the second half 😉
I can't believe you didn't fact check your sister!

We knew that LB was going to be a weak spot after losing Jacobs, moving Carter to DE, and Wylie injured. I also don't know if Deluca is 100%.

2 LBs and 5 DBs is tough with Winston hurt. Bottom line is Elsdon has to play.
Elsdon most definitely does NOT have to play. Kobe King should be on the field 95% of the time and give me Robinson or Speca in a backup role all day.

Elsdon most definitely does NOT have to play. Kobe King should be on the field 95% of the time and give me Robinson or Speca in a backup role all day.
43 is gone (good riddance) after this year. He's taking away valuable snaps away from Speca. Talent separation (Speca is way more athletic) is not far off from each other. Play the kid!

Reactions: aworsnup
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT