ADVERTISEMENT

Longtime Berwick football coach George Curry has died

step.eng69

Nov 7, 2012
North East PA, Backmountain area, age 72
JIM HALPIN (TIMES-SHAMROCK WRITER)
Published: April 1, 2016

File Photo: Berwick head football coach George Curry.

File Photo: Berwick head football coach George Curry. Christopher Dolan / Staff Photographer

Six-time state champion coach Berwick football coach George Curry has died, according to the school district superintendent.

Berwick Area School District superintendent Wayne Brookhart confirmed Curry's passing and said it was sad news to his district.

"His accomplishments obviously were vast, unprecedented not only at Berwick but across the state," Brookhart said. "He was a guy that would do anything for his players."

Brookhart noted that prior to Curry's retirement in November, his decades-long career as coach of the Berwick Bulldogs included 455 wins. Curry was recognized regionally and nationally for his accomplishments, he said.

"He had a profile that was enormous here, but his influence stretched outside this region," Brookhart said.

Curry was the winningest coach in the state and ranked in the top five in career victories nationally. His coaching career spanned 46 years and three schools. He began his career at Lake-Lehman, went to Berwick, then spent three seasons at Valley West before returning to Berwick. He led the Dawgs to four consecutive appearances in the district championship game.

His career ended with an overall record of 455-102-5.

JIM HALPIN (TIMES-SHAMROCK WRITER)
Published: April 1, 2016

File Photo: Berwick head football coach George Curry.

File Photo: Berwick head football coach George Curry. Christopher Dolan / Staff Photographer

Six-time state champion coach Berwick football coach George Curry has died, according to the school district superintendent.

Berwick Area School District superintendent Wayne Brookhart confirmed Curry's passing and said it was sad news to his district.

"His accomplishments obviously were vast, unprecedented not only at Berwick but across the state," Brookhart said. "He was a guy that would do anything for his players."

Brookhart noted that prior to Curry's retirement in November, his decades-long career as coach of the Berwick Bulldogs included 455 wins. Curry was recognized regionally and nationally for his accomplishments, he said.

"He had a profile that was enormous here, but his influence stretched outside this region," Brookhart said.

Curry was the winningest coach in the state and ranked in the top five in career victories nationally. His coaching career spanned 46 years and three schools. He began his career at Lake-Lehman, went to Berwick, then spent three seasons at Valley West before returning to Berwick. He led the Dawgs to four consecutive appearances in the district championship game.

His career ended with an overall record of 455-102-5.
Great coach, better guy. The guy loved high school football. No matter what you thought of him, his team's were so well coached and played with great discipline.
His last state championship team went through the playoffs without a penalty or turnover.

I don t know how justified it was, maybe just sour grapes, but he had a reputation for recruiting players from other districts to attend berwick.
Yeah, there are such gripes.

But it's not like Berwick, PA is Key West in terms of being a magnet where everybody would want to go.

He did an amazing job.

The first year of the Valley West Jointure, Kingston Area, Plymouth Area and Forty fort Area, I played football & baseball for the Plymouth Area section of the jointure. The entire senior class had 720 students.

During the first year of the jointure, George Curry ( Temple I believe) and Bobby Sorochack (Pitt) were hired as assistant coaches. Sorochack handled the line & Curry took care of the D-backs. Since my positions were receiver, free safety & the team punter, I had Curry in my face for half the practice sessions. Believe me, there was no compassion for a quitter from Curry. Summer sessions were horrible, he worked you till you literally felt like passing out. Salt tablets and some water were a common treatment during practice for dehydration. Gatorade was yet to be popular and coaches didn’t want their players guts full of water.

After a brief stint with Valley West, coach Chester Vonsavage got Curry the HC job at Lake Lehman.

Reactions: royboy

But it's not like Berwick, PA is Key West in terms of being a magnet where everybody would want to go.

He did an amazing job.

Exactly.

Did some unethical things occur from time to time? Yes.

But, the man did a lot of good for a lot of kids in a community where there are dim prospects for a real future. The opportunities extended to players in his program, as well as other programs in the area, because of his ways & means are extraordinary.

For some reason I think he and Joe had a falling out and there was some long term friction.

It's a bit overblown.

There were a fair number of Berwick kids that went to PSU, and Curry always brought a contingent to the area to visit campus.

I don't think George & Joe were best buddies.......but it's certainly not a situation like PSU-Aliquippa or some of the WPIAL schools.

He did an amazing job.

There absolutely was some of that recruiting stuff going on- and it wasn't key west that was the attraction - it was jobs at mainly two large employers local to Berwick.

That being said, its no different about the 'redshirting' claims at Mt Carmel and the way Southern Columbia uses the CM-VoTech to keep their enrollment down and the recruiting that goes on there.

I played against Coach Curry just when they were on the rise nationally - my senior year we lost 14-13 and the next year they were USA National Champions.

But I'll say this - the large majority of those kids were just plain old tough coal-crackers and, much like Mt Carmel, the majority of the time Berwick played up to higher classifications than they needed to.

And he, without a doubt, helped put HS Football on the map!

He did an amazing job.

He did an amazing job of recruiting players from other districts.

He also hated PSU.

There absolutely was some of that recruiting stuff going on- and it wasn't key west that was the attraction - it was jobs at mainly two large employers local to Berwick.

That being said, its no different about the 'redshirting' claims at Mt Carmel and the way Southern Columbia uses the CM-VoTech to keep their enrollment down and the recruiting that goes on there.

I played against Coach Curry just when they were on the rise nationally - my senior year we lost 14-13 and the next year they were USA National Champions.

But I'll say this - the large majority of those kids were just plain old tough coal-crackers and, much like Mt Carmel, the majority of the time Berwick played up to higher classifications than they needed to.

And he, without a doubt, helped put HS Football on the map!

"Coal-crackers" in Berwick????? Have you been to Berwick? Not a coal mining town.

Curry had a falling out over the Powlus to ND, but he didn't hate Joe or PSU. And the recruiting issue was sour grapes, players who wanted recognition moved into Berwick because of its strong reputation. A great coach but a better man.

He did not bring them. He went with them. Curry hated PSU and Joe.
The only player who made any impact from Berwick who went to Penn State in the 80's-90's was Gus Felder. I can remember boatloads of players coming to Beaver Stadium playing for Rutgers, Temple, and other eastern schools but the only impact player to play for PSU was Felder.

Reactions: step.eng69
Curry had a falling out over the Powlus to ND, but he didn'hatet hate Joe or PSU. And the recruiting issue was sour grapes, players who wanted recognition moved into Berwick because of its strong reputation. A great coach but a better man.

It was before Powlus. Ron's parents are PSU grads. The kid just loved ND. It was more over JAKE Kelchner than Powlus according to some. Joe didn't think George gave Jake enough of a push to consider PSU. Jake went to ND too before getting booted and transfer to WVU.

Curry was an unbelievable coach. I saw Berwick beat some teams that they really shouldn't have.

Curry was an unbelievable coach. I saw Berwick beat some teams that they really shouldn't have.

They beat the crap out of WPIAL teams in the 90s, and some big time teams from other states. The only team to smoke Berwick was St. Ignatius from Cleveland.

Curry's methods, as far as weight room and other preparation, were way ahead of their time.

I don t know how justified it was, maybe just sour grapes, but he had a reputation for recruiting players from other districts to attend berwick.
Curry indeed recruited kids. Powlus I believe came from NY and his Daddy got a job at the local Nuclear Power Plant.
I'd still take Joe "Jazz" Diminick as the best HC ever in PA. Did more with less.

Of course. he was born in Berwick.

What you posted was one of the most outlandish, untrue things I've seen posted on this board......and that's saying a lot.

Ron's father was a teacher (later, principal) at Northwest for years. Ron's mom grew up in Nescopeck, and his dad graduated from Nescopeck High School.

Want to try again?

It was before Powlus. Ron's parents are PSU grads. The kid just loved ND. It was more over JAKE Kelchner than Powlus according to some. Joe didn't think George gave Jake enough of a push to consider PSU. Jake went to ND too before getting booted and transfer to WVU.

I did too. A couple ACCHS teams no way he should have beaten. By the way, Jim Morgans is out at Parkland. I was told he was ousted in a coup de'tat by his staff. He goes or we all leave. I hear Tim Moncman will be the new coach.

What you posted was one of the most outlandish, untrue things I've seen posted on this board......and that's saying a lot.

Ron's father was a teacher at Northwest for years. Ron's mom grew up in Nescopeck too, and his dad graduated from Nescopeck High School.
I said he was born in Berwick. Geesh, can't you take a joke.

Curry indeed recruited kids. Powlus I believe came from NY and his Daddy got a job at the local Nuclear Power Plant.
I'd still take Joe "Jazz" Diminick as the best HC ever in PA. Did more with less.
The Powlus family is from Berwick/Nescopeck. Another guy who doesn't know his ass from his elbow.
Mike Pettine Sr. might dispute that. 326-42-4 in 33 seasons, 17 unbeaten seasons, 5 state titles in AAAA.

He did an amazing job.
ALSO DISSUADED KIDS FROM GOING TO PSU RUMOR HAS IT .

Good programs with good coaches attract good players. Curry was a good coach, he proved it, and so the program was a good program. Happens all around the state. Pennsylvania High School football was made better by his coaching and success. Used to enjoy watching Berwick and Strathaven battle it out in the Eastern PA Playoffs. I remember people accusing Strathaven of recruiting as well because they were so successful during that time period. Any year in, year out successful program is going to get accused of recruiting.

Reactions: EPC FAN
Speaking of recruiting anyone note it is open season in Florida. Kids can transfer so long as the receiving school has room. More so though, they can transfer between semester: football in the fall at one school, basketball at another and if enough time baseball at a third. I believe I read the news article correctly; someone else in FL may have more input.

I did too. A couple ACCHS teams no way he should have beaten. By the way, Jim Morgans is out at Parkland. I was told he was ousted in a coup de'tat by his staff. He goes or we all leave. I hear Tim Moncman will be the new coach.
EPC-I saw where Morgans was out, but didn't know why. The party line was that he resigned to "spend more time with his family". Didn't know there was an inside story. Is he tough to get along with?

The Powlus family is from Berwick/Nescopeck. Another guy who doesn't know his ass from his elbow.
Mike Pettine Sr. might dispute that. 326-42-4 in 33 seasons, 17 unbeaten seasons, 5 state titles in AAAA.
Screw you East Penn Conference. No wonder I cant stand people from Lehigh Valley.

Mike Pettine Sr. might dispute that. 326-42-4 in 33 seasons, 17 unbeaten seasons, 5 state titles in AAAA.[/QUOTE
Arrogant Parkland prick.

not true
Not true at all Mr. Powlus graduated from Northwest High school, I know personally George got many kids from other schools looks to play college football and I am one of them and not once did he ever try to get me to come to Berwick but he did take me and 2 kids to Pitt for a visit.

Reactions: EPC FAN
Actually, in all fairness, I believe EPC is a Whitehall prick, not a Parkland prick

Pettiness like Curry had elite talent. Not the same at Mt Carmel. I didn't say Diminick had more wins Dbag I said he did more with less.

Pettiness like Curry had elite talent. Not the same at Mt Carmel. I didn't say Diminick had more wins Dbag I said he did more with less.
Mt. Carmel also held kids back in middle school, so they had the advantage of age in high school. Sports Illustrated did an article on them "red shirting" kids. Why do it if it doesn't provide an edge?

Reactions: Pocono Lion
ALSO DISSUADED KIDS FROM GOING TO PSU RUMOR HAS IT .
The story I heard (and I might have heard it from Phil one year at Scranton) was that Curry sent a kid on a visit to PSU and felt that Joe didn't extend a courtesy to the kid Curry felt he should have and that pissed Curry off.

EPC-I saw where Morgans was out, but didn't know why. The party line was that he resigned to "spend more time with his family". Didn't know there was an inside story. Is he tough to get along with?
I trust the person who told me about the staff. I trust that it will be a staff member, Tim Moncman, who will be the new head coach. Who would they choose over him? Comp, Lane, Kinane? Moncman took Liberty to 3 AAAA state title games. The only way it's not Tim is if he doesn't want the job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT