ADVERTISEMENT

Love or hate ....he typically says what on his mind

Garrett grew up in CA. Living in NY was probably never his long term game plan. I'm pretty sure he will like the winters in Tempe a whole lot more. Plus he's a one day drive from his former stomping grounds. So it might not have anything to do with the wrestling programs.

I agree with Koll on this for the most part. There are exceptions of course.

Rob is a thoughtful guy and thinks things through before he goes public with it: It's obvious he feels strongly about it. Man, difficult question though....

Garrett grew up in CA. Living in NY was probably never his long term game plan. I'm pretty sure he will like the winters in Tempe a whole lot more. Plus he's a one day drive from his former stomping grounds. So it might not have anything to do with the wrestling programs.

116 here today. Welcome to hell Nahshon.

Try 90 with humidity. It's a lot worse than the 120 without.

Meh...I'm originally from the Midwest, spent a lot of time in Florida, and deployed so I've had days like that. Here's the main difference: You could play ball in 90 with humidity, swim, work in the sun (I detassled and walked beans) You'd just sweat a lot. Down here...the sun is unbearable to the point of heat stroke if you let it sneak up on you. Just had our second hiker related death today in Tucson, fourth in the state. People think they can just bring a bottle of water and put on some sunscreen and its all good....I have been down here for years but still think "holy shit" when I walk outside on a day like this.

You chose to live in the desert! I've been to Tucson. It's Hot, but hot is hot no matter where you are. 95° in Iowa with high humidity is just as brutal, if not more so imo, as the 105° dry heat heat there.

Reactions: Azchief32
Correct me if I'm wrong, but triple digit temps aren't exactly unusual where he grew up. Maybe not as hot as Phoenix, but hot enough that he'll have an idea how to deal with it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but triple digit temps aren't exactly unusual where he grew up. Maybe not as hot as Phoenix, but hot enough that he'll have an idea how to deal with it.

I just made the drive today from Phoenix to Lancaster. It was a nice and cool 106 here compared to 118 in Phoenix! Seriously though, those extra 12 degrees make a huge difference. I think that Garrett is from Davis, CA where you probably can see summer temperatures similar to Lancaster, so you're right that he should be familiar with that climate. But like AZChief said, AZ summer heat is a whole new level. I cringe when you consider that our guys were baking in 125 degrees over in Iraq and they were wearing full combat gear! They certainly have my respect.

114° Today in Tucson. Ok, yeah that's hot! I work outside every day so I guess I deal with it better than most. AC has spoiled many people! Infact i would partially blame it for making Americans "plump" since the 50's.

114° Today in Tucson. Ok, yeah that's hot! I work outside every day so I guess I deal with it better than most. AC has spoiled many people! Infact i would partially blame it for making Americans "plump" since the 50's.

One other point that a lot of people don't realize if they aren't familiar with the SW climate. We don't have the humidity like PA or Iowa, but that's not always a good thing. Your sweat evaporates much faster here which means you can get dehydrated much quicker than you'd think. If you are crazy enough to go hiking or mountain biking in the midafternoon heat, you better have a BIG hydration pack on your back.

I just made the drive today from Phoenix to Lancaster. It was a nice and cool 106 here compared to 118 in Phoenix! Seriously though, those extra 12 degrees make a huge difference. I think that Garrett is from Davis, CA where you probably can see summer temperatures similar to Lancaster, so you're right that he should be familiar with that climate. But like AZChief said, AZ summer heat is a whole new level. I cringe when you consider that our guys were baking in 125 degrees over in Iraq and they were wearing full combat gear! They certainly have my respect.

I was over in SW Asia during the cool time...still around 110 with humidity. Luckily, we had A/C in our tents. Just sucked going to take a shower or chow at night because you wouldn't be able to tell the big cables/hoses from the pit vipers that roamed the area. Saw a bunch of British SAS types f*cking around with one of them. Ugh. Props to the gomers for rucking 80 pounds+ around all day. I guess one gets used to it but makes me glad the Marine recruiter didn't show for my appointment and the Air Force guy just happened to be in...

Hottest job I ever had? Not working on the flight line getting into a cockpit of an A-10 after it had been closed all day down here. It was carpet cleaning when I was in high school during the summer down here in Az. Worst of both worlds...Hot asf outside and a sauna inside.

Is it really that unusual for upper level wrestlers to move and change teams/training partners/coaches? Besides Garrett, this year there has been Brewer, Ramos, Vallimont, Avery, Pami, Futtrell. Recently, Oliver and Ruth both come to mind.

Is it a money issue, dissatisfaction, life, or maybe just thinking the grass is greener?

Meh...I'm originally from the Midwest, spent a lot of time in Florida, and deployed so I've had days like that. Here's the main difference: You could play ball in 90 with humidity, swim, work in the sun (I detassled and walked beans) You'd just sweat a lot. Down here...the sun is unbearable to the point of heat stroke if you let it sneak up on you. Just had our second hiker related death today in Tucson, fourth in the state. People think they can just bring a bottle of water and put on some sunscreen and its all good....I have been down here for years but still think "holy shit" when I walk outside on a day like this.
I noticed you guys referenced a hiker's death yesterday so I looked up some Tuscon news. Holy hell - dumb hikers dying all over the place! Hiking in 110+ temps at mid-day?

Then I saw some Killer Bee stories as well - sounds like there are hiking trails with well known killer bee nests that smart people stay away from - time for some jelly gas.

Reactions: Azchief32
I noticed you guys referenced a hiker's death yesterday so I looked up some Tuscon news. Holy hell - dumb hikers dying all over the place! Hiking in 110+ temps at mid-day?

Then I saw some Killer Bee stories as well - sounds like there are hiking trails with well known killer bee nests that smart people stay away from - time for some jelly gas.

Yes...they are striving to be nominated for this year's Darwin Awards. We get them every year.

Worse, are the one's in December that go hiking in shorts and tshirts at noon because it
Is 65 only to be lost and have hypothermia because it's 35 degrees by 2200.

Probably our biggest losers are the one's that drive their cars into washes during monsoon season.

21, if any of this has happened to you, present company excluded of course ;)

It's only like 80 degrees and little humidity in Minnesota, today. I can't really complain.

Garrett is a grown man. I'm a fan of coach Koll but in this instance he should simply STFU and butt out of NG's decision.

Garrett is a grown man. I'm a fan of coach Koll but in this instance he should simply STFU and butt out of NG's decision.

Perhaps, but in this case - it is helpful to listen to the interview! Scott Casber basically baited Rob by leading with the question (I'm paraphrasing here, there's a bit more to it) "So - sometimes change for the sake of change is a good thing, right Rob?" At that point, Rob could either just lie outright - "Yeah, sure, it's fine!" - or he could say what he really thinks.

That said, Rob certainly expects Nahshon will do just fine at ASU, or anywhere he goes - "I think he'll do well despite being in a different environment, not because of it."

I'd tend to agree with this, except I don't think those comments were aimed at Garrett at all. Koll is a smart guy, some would say crafty. He knows this horse has left the barn, but he can still close the door before the next one gets any ideas.

Reactions: tikk10
Perhaps, but in this case - it is helpful to listen to the interview! Scott Casber basically baited Rob by leading with the question (I'm paraphrasing here, there's a bit more to it) "So - sometimes change for the sake of change is a good thing, right Rob?" At that point, Rob could either just lie outright - "Yeah, sure, it's fine!" - or he could say what he really thinks.

That said, Rob certainly expects Nahshon will do just fine at ASU, or anywhere he goes - "I think he'll do well despite being in a different environment, not because of it."

Hey, what's up redblades. I sincerely appreciate the context you provided (practically anything touched by Scott Casber requires its own set of considerations), but that last quote you cited? That's some vintage Rob Koll [fill in the blank]. That's his special brand of graciousness.

barf.

The last time Casber tried to reel Cael into an interview (after criticizing him and complaining when he couldn't book time with him):

Cael: "I had a missed call from Scott Casber on my cell phone. That's not a call I'm going to return......"

Last edited:
Reactions: jtothemfp
I'd tend to agree with this, except I don't think those comments were aimed at Garrett at all. Koll is a smart guy, some would say crafty. He knows this horse has left the barn, but he can still close the door before the next one gets any ideas.

Hmmmm. Interesting point. I'll refrain from mentioning any names but I wonder if a certain wrestler with the initials KD is considering a move.

Hmmmm. Interesting point. I'll refrain from mentioning any names but I wonder if a certain wrestler with the initials KD is considering a move.
I seriously doubt Dake would move. However, Koll has 2 undergrads who are pretty good freestylers. One is another country's senior world team member (not sure offhand if he's qualified for Rio). The other is at Dake's current weight and will likely be a 3x NCAA champ. Unlike Dake, neither is from the Finger Lakes area.

I seriously doubt Dake would move. However, Koll has 2 undergrads who are pretty good freestylers. One is another country's senior world team member (not sure offhand if he's qualified for Rio). The other is at Dake's current weight and will likely be a 3x NCAA champ. Unlike Dake, neither is from the Finger Lakes area.

I like Zahid Valencia to beat Dean.

Gods don't move the world's move around them. That is my impression of dake s impression of himself.

If it wasn't for DH I could see dake be annointend the next HC. His body seems to be letting down his mind and coaching seems to be a place he will go.

Of course Koll isn't happy about this. It helps to have a guy like Garrett training at Cornell because it helps with recruits. Having Garrett at Cornell is a recruiting tool to entice lightweights to come to Cornell to have him as a training partner. No coach is going to be happy when this happens.

I like Zahid Valencia to beat Dean.
As good as Zahid is in freestyle, not convinced he's beating Dean in folk. His 2nd toughest opponent last year was Zillmer, who beat Zahid. Nobody will argue Zillmer is in Dean's class.

David Taylor obviously is. Losing to him isn't bad... but 15-0 (at Midlands) against someone who hadn't practiced or wrestled folk in 2 yrs? Zahid needs a lot of work on bottom.

As good as Zahid is in freestyle, not convinced he's beating Dean in folk. His 2nd toughest opponent last year was Zillmer, who beat Zahid. Nobody will argue Zillmer is in Dean's class.

David Taylor obviously is. Losing to him isn't bad... but 15-0 (at Midlands) against someone who hadn't practiced or wrestled folk in 2 yrs? Zahid needs a lot of work on bottom.

You and your dam facts Jefe, keep them out of my chance to hype up a youngster.

Reactions: El-Jefe

Jefe, while I'd agree that Palacio is most definitely a "free spirit" and as unpredictable as they come, it's also pretty close to a sure thing that Gabe Dean will stick around a while after graduation, for a number of reasons (not the least, his Dad and younger brother will both be in Ithaca for a while longer.)

And BTW, Palacio did not qualify in Turkey to get to Rio, although he had a pretty nice run, placing 5th at 74kg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT