ADVERTISEMENT

Mat Scouts has Penn State at 170 Points

I don't see any other fanbases repeatedly make fun of her for that moment of pain she was experiencing. Do you?
Nobody made fun of Spencer's Mom for the moment of pain she was experiencing. People made fun of & still make fun of her meltdown, or the manner in which she reacted to her son losing. It's her reaction to the situation that people make fun of, not the pain she felt from it.

He's also a c***sucker. ;) I wish I did the cute GIF thing so there would be visuals too.
Rooster GIF
candy lollipop GIF

so if all the guys that have an extra yr come back could the team be better next yr?
I think only Starocci has said he's not. The others are Bartlett and Kerk, and I think they both intend to come back. Bartlett never took a RS year, so he's going to be done in 5 years like almost everyone else anyway. He just got to wrestle all 5 of his years because of Covid.

The answer to your question is yes. Any team that has Starocci is better than the same team without him. That seems self-evident. LOL.

Reactions: vhsalum
Nobody made fun of Spencer's Mom for the moment of pain she was experiencing. People made fun of & still make fun of her meltdown, or the manner in which she reacted to her son losing. It's her reaction to the situation that people make fun of, not the pain she felt from it.
If that's what you tell yourself I guess. I won't argue with you.

Well it's human nature that time heals all wounds. I am confident Spencer's mom is no longer in the acute pain experienced in that specific moment. Thanks to Turk's incessent banter highlighting the improprieties of fans crassly taking advantage of that moment, in his honor I know declare January to be the annual make fun of Spencer's mom month. Have fun gang, it is now Ok!

PS - at the end of the day, she did it, 99% of non wrestling fans on the street would have a similar humorous reaction viewing it. Who knows, someday soon she might even make it on to Rediculousness, and be further immortalized to the masses There are multiple you tube videos with hundreds of thousands of views. That horse is never going back in the barn.

If that's what you tell yourself I guess. I won't argue with you.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you. Some things you'll have to figure out for yourself.

If his mother had reacted differently, without having a full meltdown, then nobody would have been or still be talking about her reaction to the situation, because there wouldn't have been anything worth talking about. But, her pain from that loss would still exist, that wouldn't have been diminished at all, even if nobody had ever said a word about her meltdown.

Many parents have watched their child lose & felt the pain of that loss, but few have had reactions that were publicized Nationally. Everyone heard what the ESPN broadcasters said, and here's an article that People Magazine published. Notice the title: "College Wrestler's Mom Goes Viral After She Breaks Glasses in a Rage Over Match Upset"

Here's a quote from the article, "...it was his mother's reaction to the surprise loss that went viral."

She didn't get all this attention, because of the pain she felt from the situation and nobody is making fun of that. She received all this attention, because of the manner in which she reacted. That's what people are making fun of.

But, if you want to believe people are making fun of her pain, nobody can stop you, but failing to understand what actually happened isn't going to win you any arguments.

Last edited:
But, if you want to believe people are making fun of her pain, nobody can stop you, but failing to understand what actually happened isn't going to win you any arguments.
Turk doesn't believe this himself. He doesn't care about Cathy Lee's feelings. He cares about Cathy Lee being yet another symbol of Iowa failure and Iowa lack of self-control.

He also cares about maximizing how many responses he can troll out of us.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you. Some things you'll have to figure out for yourself.

If his mother had reacted differently, without having a full meltdown, then nobody would have been or still be talking about her reaction to the situation, because there wouldn't have been anything worth talking about. But, her pain from that loss would still exist, that wouldn't have been diminished at all, even if nobody had ever said a word about her meltdown.

Many parents have watched their child lose & felt the pain of that loss, but few have had reactions that were publicized Nationally. Everyone heard what the ESPN broadcasters said, and here's an article that People Magazine published. Notice the title: "College Wrestler's Mom Goes Viral After She Breaks Glasses in a Rage Over Match Upset"

Here's a quote from the article, "...it was his mother's reaction to the surprise loss that went viral."

She didn't get all this attention, because of the pain she felt from the situation and nobody is making fun of that. She received all this attention, because of the manner in which she reacted. That's what people are making fun of.

Yeah, if they cut to her and she was just sobbing with her head in her hands, nobody would be making fun of that at all because it's not funny. But stomping around and smashing her glasses as if she were blaming them for what she just witnessed was what made it hilarious.

Turk doesn't believe this himself. He doesn't care about Cathy Lee's feelings. He cares about Cathy Lee being yet another symbol of Iowa failure and Iowa lack of self-control.

Well, I've got lots of free time until the match tonight, so I'm happy for the opportunity to respond. Thanks Turk! Lol.

Reactions: Ski
Yeah, if they cut to her and she was just sobbing with her head in her hands, nobody would be making fun of that at all because it's not funny. But stomping around and smashing her glasses as if she were blaming them for what she just witnessed was what made it hilarious.
One of the first things that came to my mind after seeing her reaction was the reaction of Cenzo's Mom to his loss to Mekhi at the National tournament. Wasn't Cenzo going for #3 at the time? That was a big loss too, but Cenzo's Mom's reaction didn't go viral.

I can't think of any other wrestling parent who reacted in a manner that made National news. But, we're talking about Iowa, and their fans seem to have an incessant need to play the victim card and find someone else to blame.

One of the first things that came to my mind after seeing her reaction was the reaction of Cenzo's Mom to his loss to Mekhi at the National tournament. Wasn't Cenzo going for #3 at the time? That was a big loss too, but Cenzo's Mom's reaction didn't go viral.

I can't think of any other wrestling parent who reacted in a manner that made National news. But, we're talking about Iowa, and their fans seem to have an incessant need to play the victim card and find someone else to blame.
What’s the ratio of losing in the NCAA finals to the camera showing the reaction of the losing wrestlers parent immediately after the match? Very few get shown on camera so no one really knows how other parents reacted.

Reactions: mcpat
The Office GIF by NCAlumni

I’m just surprised more people aren’t talking about the reaction Spencer’s dad had to Spencer’s loss 😏

Reactions: GogglesPaizano

Who are you to tell me what I believe and feel? Nobody, that's who.

You sure respond to me a lot on this board. You wouldn't have to be bothered by me if you simply use the ignore function. I don't care how many responses I get. I'm just having my FUN!

If you say so. I won't argue with you. Like I said.

• Haha
Reactions: SlipperyPete12
What’s the ratio of losing in the NCAA finals to the camera showing the reaction of the losing wrestlers parent immediately after the match? Very few get shown on camera so no one really knows how other parents reacted.
If the parents are in the stands the broadcaster usually tries to show them, especially at a Nationally televised production. Sometimes, they even cut to the parent during or between the matches.

Remember Cenzo's first title? How many times did they show his parents during that match? They even showed him running into the stands after the match to celebrate with them.

There are plenty of times when parents are shown during or after matches, especially at a National tournament, but I've never personally seen any parent reaction gain as much National attention as Spencer's Mom.

Last edited:
If the parents are in the stands the broadcaster usually tries to show them, especially at a Nationally televised production. Sometimes, they even cut to the parent during or between the matches.

Remember Cenzo's first title? How many times did they show his parents during that match? They even showed him running into the stands after the match to celebrate with them.

There are plenty of times when parents are shown during or after matches, but I've never personally seen any parent reaction gain as much National attention as Spencer's Mom.
There are 10 weight classes and 10 losers every year. I’ve watched the finals for over 10 years so that’s 100+ losing wrestlers and I can’t remember them showing the losing parent but a few times. You referenced Cenzo’s parents but no others. That is my point.

Reactions: mcpat
There are 10 weight classes and 10 losers every year. I’ve watched the finals for over 10 years so that’s 100+ losing wrestlers and I can’t remember them showing the losing parent but a few times. You referenced Cenzo’s parents but no others. That is my point.
So is the accusation that ESPN has it out for Spencer, his mother, or the Iowa program generally?

You say you've seen losing parents shown a few times. Who were the other losing parents that you remember seeing & how did they react? Did their reactions go viral?

Seems like they showed Tom Ryan a bunch of times when his kid lost. Now that was a parent the cameras were obsessed with!

So is the accusation that ESPN has it out for Spencer, his mother, or the Iowa program generally?
Not at all. I’m not an ESPN producer so I can’t speak to why they showed her. My guess is because a 3 time champ going for 4 and losing is a bigger story than most others. I’m not blaming anyone. However, to say she’s the only parent to react in a cringeworthy manner is hard to prove unless you have video of the majority of parents watching their child lose.

You say you've seen losing parents shown a few times. Who were the other losing parents that you remember seeing & how did they react? Did their reactions go viral?
2 or 3 out of 100s is a very small sample size. The accusation was Spencer’s mom was the ONLY parent to react that way. We don’t know because we don’t have proof.

They didn't show it live but rather like a minute later. It looked like someone in the control room caught the footage and saw it and was like "that's gold, Jerry" and put it on the air.

Exactly and it's not hard to understand. Her reaction was on Sportscenter for one reason and one reason only, because she behaved like a buffoon.

2 or 3 out of 100s is a very small sample size. The accusation was Spencer’s mom was the ONLY parent to react that way. We don’t know because we don’t have proof.
Initially, I claimed that people weren't making fun of Spencer's Mom's pain, but instead her reaction. I also stated that I hadn't personally seen or remember seeing any parental reaction gain that much National attention. That doesn't mean that it hasn't ever happened before, or that Spencer's Mom is the ONLY one to ever react that way. All it means, is that I haven't personally witnessed it before.

I also cited another losing parent who's reaction didn't get any major attention, and then you claimed you've also seen the losing reaction of parents "a few times," but can't provide any specifics about those. So, I don't know what argument you're trying to make or fabricate. It's extremely rare for a parental reaction to make National news, and hers was that rarity, but that doesn't mean or imply that she is the ONLY one to ever react that way. Lol.

In was going to say something similar. Spencer's dad, standing in to speak for his adult son after the loss was actually the more embarrassing event.
Again, though, it wasn't funny. What made his mom go viral was not her pain or her embarrassment but rather that it was so absurd it was hilarious.

Reactions: danoftw
Initially, I claimed that people weren't making fun of Spencer's Mom's pain, but instead her reaction. I also stated that I hadn't personally seen or remember seeing any parental reaction gain that much National attention. That doesn't mean that it hasn't ever happened before, or that Spencer's Mom is the ONLY one to ever react that way. All it means, is that I haven't personally witnessed it before.

I also cited another losing parent who's reaction didn't get any major attention, and then you claimed you've also seen the losing reaction of parents "a few times," but can't provide any specifics about those. So, I don't know what argument you're trying to make or fabricate. It's extremely rare for a parental reaction to make National news, and hers was that rarity, but that doesn't mean or imply that she is the ONLY one to ever react that way. Lol.
I'm not much of a gambling man, but I'd be willing to put a few sheckles down that Ms. Lee has been the only one to ever crumple up eye glasses in reaction to a national semifinal loss by a son or daughter, while in the presence of national broadcast cameras.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT