ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe The Iowa Gamblers Still Have a Chance

Pete should have been in long ago he didnt do drugs and he didnt bet against his own team plus he should be in for being the greatest major league hitter of all time!
Since Pete was betting frequently, the days he did not bet on the Reds would be an indicator to the bookies that he did not like the Reds chances that day...that would be useful information for the bookies to use to place their own bets against the Reds.

He knew the rules, he ignored them, now he is paying the price. Sucks for Pete, he is now laying in the bed he made.

Since Pete was betting frequently, the days he did not bet on the Reds would be an indicator to the bookies that he did not like the Reds chances that day...that would be useful information for the bookies to use to place their own bets against the Reds.

He knew the rules, he ignored them, now he is paying the price. Sucks for Pete, he is now laying in the bed he made.
I lost track but at one time all the findings/allegations were based on his managing days and not when he played. If so, should he be considered for hof as a player

He should be in the HOF as a player and still banned from any involvement in actual baseball

And he’s not even close to being the best major league hitter of all time
well not homers but he has the most hits of all time that's all I need to know so hits yes everything else no!

He should be in the HOF as a player and still banned from any involvement in actual baseball

That is the correct resolution..........No, he's not the greatest hitter ever. But his hit total speaks for itself. He's arguablythe greatest competitor ever. I played in the 70s and 80s, was a Pirate fan and hated the Reds. But I still used him as an example of how to play the game. The Astros kept their crown. Shohei new nothing about his translators activities? Yeah, right. Pete should be in.

Reactions: Zukovski
Pete should have been in long ago he didnt do drugs and he didnt bet against his own team plus he should be in for being the greatest major league hitter of all time!
Pete has the most hits. Greatest hitter is the Babe and the second greatest is Ted Williams.

That is the correct resolution..........No, he's not the greatest hitter ever. But his hit total speaks for itself. He's arguablythe greatest competitor ever. I played in the 70s and 80s, was a Pirate fan and hated the Reds. But I still used him as an example of how to play the game. The Astros kept their crown. Shohei new nothing about his translators activities? Yeah, right. Pete should be in.
The Astros outrage is something I have never been able to figure out. Baseball prides itself on its history of cheating and sign stealing. The Astros figure out a way to do it better and everybody fakes outrage.

Put him in the Hall after he is dead. He gets in but does not benefit from it. I would do that for all offenders that jeopardize the integrity of the game but have a Hall of Fame career.

The Astros outrage is something I have never been able to figure out. Baseball prides itself on its history of cheating and sign stealing. The Astros figure out a way to do it better and everybody fakes outrage.
A runner on 2nd base stealing signs is far different from using cameras and other technology to steal signs. Banging garbage cans. I didn't have a dog in the fight. I'm a Pirate fan. They're ****ing cheaters.

Reactions: goldenanimal
A runner on 2nd base stealing signs is far different from using cameras and other technology to steal signs. Banging garbage cans. I didn't have a dog in the fight. I'm a Pirate fan. They're ****ing cheaters.
I am a Pirate fan also. Which is why the interest in other teams. Runner on second stealing signs, guys in old scoreboards with binoculars, spit balls, grease balls, cut balls. It isn't just a runner on second. There are scores of baseball cheating examples, and as long as the cheating is attempting to win baseball has always embraced their cheaters. The 1919 White Sox cheated to lose and aren't embraced.
Again, the Astros just did it better.

I am a Pirate fan also. Which is why the interest in other teams. Runner on second stealing signs, guys in old scoreboards with binoculars, spit balls, grease balls, cut balls. It isn't just a runner on second. There are scores of baseball cheating examples, and as long as the cheating is attempting to win baseball has always embraced their cheaters. The 1919 White Sox cheated to lose and aren't embraced.
Again, the Astros just did it better.
Fair point about binoculars in scoreboards. All the other stuff is/was isolated to a player and not an organizational conspiracy to cheat. .....I think there's a line where it goes too far. Jose Altuve most likely wearing a buzzer is too far, in my opinion. Michigan football went too far in my opinion. I'll leave it a that.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany

That plus it gave him financial incentive to do things during those days that he wouldn't normally do, that might cause them to lose in other games. Things like over-use starters who could use rest, or drain his bullpen, etc.

A big, forgotten reason why MLB has stuck to its guns is that he repeatedly lied about his gambling. For years, including when MLB revisited the topic.

Rose was also a notorious dirtbag. A personal story: my former boss Tim (also a PSU alum, FWIW) is black, married to a white woman. Rose once tried to take Tim's wife away, right in front of him -- told her she should want to be with him instead of Tim because Tim is black.

That doesn't mean Rose shouldn't be in the Hall as a player. It does mean that I have zero sympathy for him. He can rot.

Last edited:
That plus it gave him financial incentive to do things during those days that he wouldn't normally do, that might cause them to lose in other games. Things like over-use starters who could use rest, or drain his bullpen, etc.

A big, forgotten reason why MLB has stuck to its guns is that he repeatedly lied about his gambling. For years, including when MLB revisited the topic.

Rose was also a notorious dirtbag. A personal story: my former boss Tim (also a PSU alum, FWIW) is black, married to a white woman. Rose once tried to take Tim's wife away, right in front of him -- told her she should want to be with him instead of Tim because Tim is black.

That doesn't mean Rose shouldn't be in the Hall as a player. It does mean that I have zero sympathy for him. He can rot.
I’d like to see Rose or someone who thinks like him try that on Carter.

gherig gets some cred; Honus had a pretty good fandom from the old timers (the players). Funny how you can dice it up from the contact hitter - like a Carew - to the good avg power hitter - Aaron, Mays, etc. Gotta give Bonds cred based on his last 10 years if you don't look at the supplements.
Does make you wonder about Ruth - his rep for eating and having fun and still putting a hurt on the ball.
Of course, wonder if any of those old timers could hit the avg pitcher today who throw low/mid 90s. My argument is they could cause they would train differently...

Reactions: Ski
gherig gets some cred; Honus had a pretty good fandom from the old timers (the players). Funny how you can dice it up from the contact hitter - like a Carew - to the good avg power hitter - Aaron, Mays, etc. Gotta give Bonds cred based on his last 10 years if you don't look at the supplements.
Does make you wonder about Ruth - his rep for eating and having fun and still putting a hurt on the ball.
Of course, wonder if any of those old timers could hit the avg pitcher today who throw low/mid 90s. My argument is they could cause they would train differently...
Cobb held 90 mlb records. 90. Home runs weren’t in style at the time. All his other numbers are insane. Led league in AVG 12x. Highest HOF voting percentage until 1990s

Reactions: a_mshaffer
Put him in the Hall after he is dead. He gets in but does not benefit from it. I would do that for all offenders that jeopardize the integrity of the game but have a Hall of Fame career.
You dont mind other rule breakers or actual law breakers beingbin the hof

You dont mind other rule breakers or actual law breakers beingbin the hof

Depends on the crime. The Baseball Hall of Fame is the only major sports Hall of Fame in the US with a "character clause".

Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played.

BBWAA ELECTION RULES

Reactions: APSPSUwrestlingfan
While we’re talking baseball, a side note. Yesterday as I was doing some packing, I came across an old souvenir mini bat that I’d never paid much attention to, and peeked at the label. You don’t see a lot of tony lazzeri bats - with old school hillerich logo.

Reactions: Lyons212 and RandyL
The gamblers are suing! I wonder if any Cornell lawyers are involved?

Nelson Brands, Tony Cassioppi, Abe Assad, Cobe Siebrecht, Cullan Shriever & Patrick Kennedy are some of the plaintiffs listed.

How exactly did Rose get to make more than a single pass at your friend's wife? If somebody ever made a pass at my wife they would be permanently exiled and likely consulting an orthodontist.

A lot of superstar athletes (and politicians, celebrities, business moguls.. ) are dirtbags-one of the dirtiest just died. A lot of the dirt comes from those of us who are athletically challenged. It's always been this way. We put them on thrones, forgetting they only sit on the same porcelain one everybody else does. Here's an unpopular opinion-had Nicole Brown not been starry-eyed enough to be the "other woman" while OJ was married or left the first time he was violent, she might have lived passed 35.

Mickey Mantle once responded to an old timer's questionnaire about his favorite memory as getting a Bravo Juliet under Yankee Stadium. Classless.

Last edited:
They still committed a violation, correct? It may have been found out dishonestly but they are still guilty of committing NCAA violations.
Not suing NCAA, suing law enforcement officials who seemed to have broken the law causing damage to these kids. If so write a check, fire the assholes and hopefully they never get another job in law enforcement.

The NCAA simply followed their own rules. I assume Nelson knows those rules by heart since he felt it unnecessary to attend the preseason seminar.

See: The Exclusionary Rule. The NCAA may not be bound by this, but should be.

It does not apply and it should not, unless the NCAA should also be government with criminal prosecution powers.

"The exclusionary rule prevents the government from using most evidence gathered in violation of the United States Constitution...

...However, the rule does not apply in civil cases, including deportation hearings."

The gambling was not prosecuted as a civil case, but if there was any adjudication it would be civil.

I bolded the words for emphasis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT