ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs PSU bets

jrod65

Jan 21, 2019
Not really a sports betting guy(the irony), but am willing to throw out a friendly wager on Iowa v. PSU.

I am proposing a wager covering the 5 closest ranked matchups. 125, 141, 149, 157, and 165.

If PSU scores more team points at those 5 weights, I lose. If Iowa scores more team points, I win. If points are equal, we both donate.

I am willing to do $50 to WFL. 1st taker only.(I may do similar on GIA, so may get a 2nd chance)

*know there may be more bets already made so maybe want to consolidate to 1 thread?

That's a good bet; seems pretty close to 50:50 to me.
How about we do a gentleman's bet, and I donate 50 to WFL for the two of us, as I've donated to WFL in the past, but it's honestly been too long since I did that. Can you do me a favor and provide the link to the website? I just looked for it and what I found was associated with the MN Wrestling Hall of Fame, which I think is wrong (or something changed since my last donation a few years ago). Thanks.

That's a good bet; seems pretty close to 50:50 to me.
How about we do a gentleman's bet, and I donate 50 to WFL for the two of us, as I've donated to WFL in the past, but it's honestly been too long since I did that. Can you do me a favor and provide the link to the website? I just looked for it and what I found was associated with the MN Wrestling Hall of Fame, which I think is wrong (or something changed since my last donation a few years ago). Thanks.

Hmm... l'm having issues finding the website as well. Was wrestlingforlife.org last time I donated, but not coming up now.

*edit- just talked with Jim and website is down.

Last edited:
Reactions: slaterun
Not really a sports betting guy(the irony), but am willing to throw out a friendly wager on Iowa v. PSU.

I am proposing a wager covering the 5 closest ranked matchups. 125, 141, 149, 157, and 165.

If PSU scores more team points at those 5 weights, I lose. If Iowa scores more team points, I win. If points are equal, we both donate.

I am willing to do $50 to WFL. 1st taker only.(I may do similar on GIA, so may get a 2nd chance)

*know there may be more bets already made so maybe want to consolidate to 1 thread?

@jmadden1998
You up for the same bet?

Reactions: jrod65
I’m in!

Deal
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Hmm... l'm having issues finding the website as well. Was wrestlingforlife.org last time I donated, but not coming up now.

*edit- just talked with Jim and website is down.
Great. Thanks. I'll keep checking to see when it's up and donate.

Straight up combined team points at 133, 174, 197 and HWT.

Any Iowa fan takers?

• Haha
Reactions: WildTurk
How about a forum betting pool where everyone here (Hawk fans too) puts in $10 and picks two numbers. The first number is the Penn State team points. I would estimate that a feasible range would be 20 to 60 points. The second number is the Iowa team points. A feasible range here would be -2 to 15 points. Each person's score would be decided by the formula: score = sqrt((Actual Iowa points - bet points)^2 + (Actual PSU points - bet points)) Whoever gets the lowest score wins. Ties would be divided evenly. We can have a neutral third party hold the betting pool in an escrow account until after the dual. I'll nominate Adam Tirapelle for this since he's also a professional financial advisor.

Reactions: danoftw
How about a forum betting pool where everyone here (Hawk fans too) puts in $10 and picks two numbers. The first number is the Penn State team points. I would estimate that a feasible range would be 20 to 60 points. The second number is the Iowa team points. A feasible range here would be -2 to 15 points. Each person's score would be decided by the formula: score = sqrt((Actual Iowa points - bet points)^2 + (Actual PSU points - bet points)) Whoever gets the lowest score wins. Ties would be divided evenly. We can have a neutral third party hold the betting pool in an escrow account until after the dual. I'll nominate Adam Tirapelle for this since he's also a professional financial advisor.
Why do i have this disturbing feeling that you've already worked out the math on this and know precisely which combination will win, regardless of what happens on the mat.

Reactions: District four
Why do i have this disturbing feeling that you've already worked out the math on this and know precisely which combination will win, regardless of what happens on the mat.
Now how would that be possible? For each team, a bettor could pick an integer value from -2 to 60. (I'm allowing that anything less than -2 points isn't realistic, even with TnT ranting and raving in their corner.) That's 63 choices for each team although the higher the points for one team, the lower the number of possible points for the other. I only cited what I would call realistic possible total team points for each side.

There's a guy who posts here usually only around end of the season tournament time who seems to have a pretty good handle on how to apply probability theory to projecting PSU's NCAA team score. It would be interesting to hear his take on the Iowa vs PSU dual.

Now how would that be possible? For each team, a bettor could pick an integer value from -2 to 60. (I'm allowing that anything less than -2 points isn't realistic, even with TnT ranting and raving in their corner.) That's 63 choices for each team although the higher the points for one team, the lower the number of possible points for the other. I only cited what I would call realistic possible total team points for each side.

There's a guy who posts here usually only around end of the season tournament time who seems to have a pretty good handle on how to apply probability theory to projecting PSU's NCAA team score. It would be interesting to hear his take on the Iowa vs PSU dual.
Confused Little Girl GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Chickenman Testa

artworks-000059806208-5pe8wn-t500x500.jpg

@PSUwrestling

Sounds like WFL donations are currently old school mail-in only right now. I'm still good with that. Also willing to switch it to HWC/NLWC if you prefer. Let me know.

Address for WFL:

Wrestling for Life
130 24th St NE
Cedar Rapids, IA 52402

Reactions: slaterun
@PSUwrestling

Sounds like WFL donations are currently old school mail-in only right now. I'm still good with that. Also willing to switch it to HWC/NLWC if you prefer. Let me know.

Address for WFL:

Wrestling for Life
130 24th St NE
Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
I’ve seem to run out of stamps, envelopes, and checks. I will need to switch to HWC/NLWC.

Follow your posts here and on HR and typically enjoy your commentary. I am not much involved in betting but I will take $25 of that wager if you care to.
Just going to bump this here in the bet thread @07mantle so I don't lose sight of it. Loser of Davis vs Ayala pays 25$ to each others wrestling club.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT