ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread PSU @ Iowa in-match discussion thread

He didn’t call him athletic, though, because Levi is white. Oh wait, that’s Tim
Johnson. Dude called Antrell Taylor athletic about 6 times. Awkward
Excellent point and I had the same exact thought. Really lame and it’s obvious that he has absolutely zero insight as to why that’s really wrong.

I know how to copy and paste but I get a prompt that Google app does not work.
I asked once before and someone said I need to use separate app. I do feel like an idiot. As I've said this forum site is the only social media I participate in . 😟

Yeah, it took me a while to figure it out too. I wish there was an easier way. I do the same thing pish69 described in this post in another thread:

You need to convert any pic you have into a URL (for example I use an app called Imgur). I’m sure there are others that may be better but that’s what I use.

So I would go to Imgur, upload pic, then that would give me URL to the pic and then I can post it here. Wish it was easier

so locked hands isn't what it really means the ref even said his hands were on the arm,since when is that locking hands?his hands were separated not locked together!
It is technically called interlocking hands. The rule is (I added the bold) Section 8 Art. 2. Art. 3 also is applicable. Once the arms/hands touched it is "interlocking hands". What I am not sure about is if the defensive wrestler makes the arms/hands touch if it is still a violation.

"Section 8. Technical Violations
Art. 2. Interlocking Hands — Description. Wrestlers in the position of advantage may not interlock or overlap their hands, fingers or arms around
their opponent’s body, both legs or both arms when extended over the defensive wrestler’s head unless all of their opponent’s weight is supported entirely by the defensive wrestler’s feet or the defensive wrestler’s pinning area is meeting a near fall criterion. The opponent of a wrestler committing this technical violation shall receive one match point.
Art. 3. Interlocking Hands — Reaction Time. Reaction time for interlocking hands exists in all areas except for the locked hands call down on the mat."

• Wow
Reactions: PSUbluTX
I’m thinking they develop a plan as to how to take advantage and takedown a wrestler on his knee.

I think that thinly veiled stall works once. It was clearly a novel approach, and designed to shut down Davis' attack rate (i.e. stalling disguised as defense). It's not a balanced position, and imbalances create attack opportunities. It only worked because the referee's Name is Homer.

Reactions: ccdiver
This is gold - from the Intermat forum. The last one = chef’s kiss

“Sure, I speak fluent Brands. Let me help.

Brands: "Weren't ready. Weren't ready...you have to be ready, like beyond ready. If you just think your ready and you think its normal, its not normal."

Translation: I wasn't ready.

Brands: "And that's not me putting them on a pedestal, that's not me conceding anything."

Translation: We never stood a chance.

Brands: "I like our guy."

Translation: The portal is closed.”

I have a Facebook friend who lives in Iowa who is a pretty big wrestling fan in general, and he posted on Facebook his thoughts on this meet.

Well, after last night ... a guy realizes that's basically it for the big time major sporting events of the year ... nothing else is going to come close ... except for the Big10 / Big12 Wrestling Tournaments and the NCAA Wrestling Tournament in March.

But this PennState-Iowa dual on Friday night was EASILY the most interesting thing for January and February.

From now on, any time that we need a fix of competitive sports entertainment, we can examine the highlight reels and relive the biggest moment in sports for 2024 ... until those Wrestling Tournaments in March ... there's nothing else to get excited about.

Punk meme-sters in the wrestling punk subculture embrace a DIY ethic ... these punks self-produce their own shocking memes and distribute their offensive, rough-cut material through free, indie channels.

By order of the prophet
We ban that boogie sound
Degenerate the faithful
With that crazy Carvah sound
The Bedouin, they brought out
The electric kettle drum
The local guitar picker
Got his guitar-picking thumb
As soon as the Sharif
Cleared the square
They began to wail

Sharif don't like it
Rocking the Carvah, rock the Carvah
Sharif don't like it

Me: Sanderson is arguably the best ever.

Him:
Yep. Best coach we have seen yet ... all sports.

Better than Wooden. Better than Lombardi. Better than Krzyzewski

The Sanderson brothers [with the help of the PennState AD and PSU fans and all of the PSUwr assistants and former PSU wrestlers who are still involved through NLWC, both amateurs and professionals in UFC/MMA] have built a system ...

... which should be studied closely and emulated ...

... ESPECIALLY for the opposing systems out there ... there doesn't appear to be any program that can really challenge PennState, so those other programs have evidently, until now, concluded they don't need to pay attention to PennState.

We are starting to see the wider influence on new up-and-coming programs like South Dakota State that have been closely associated with PennState ... it may take new schools, without a not-invented-here opposition to adopting parts of the PennState system.

There have been other dominant systems ... but I don't think we've ever seen a system like Sanderson's for developing wrestlers so well that the pump is continually re-primed and so the pipeline is perpetually filled with the best high school recruits and best transfer top-level students, eg Mesenbrink, Nagao, Truax [and others who are good, but might not make the lineup].

The level of talent coming into that PennState pipeline now is beyond jaw-dropping.

If you're really good [but might not always make the 10-man matches] why not wrestle the best [if they'll take you...] and pick up things from being involved with the whole PennState/NLWC system ... players, coaches, industry connections ....

The attraction of that system [and its connections] would be a real gamechanger for talented individuals who have goals of turning professional into UFC/MMAs or coaching/training other ... I expect that we will see other programs working 24x7 to somehow replicate that system and the attraction of its pipeline.

Me:

what they’ve done is revolutionized wrestling. I’m out with wifey but I could go on with what I see but I’m guessing you could explain it better.

Mark Bruns what they’ve done is revolutionized wrestling. I’m out with wifey but I could go on with what I see but I’m guessing you could explain it better.

Him:
Yes ... that system is just generally better at channeling stress to reduce mistakes and produce sustainable levels of improvement ... in coaching as well as the wrestlers ... replacing confrontational negative stress and individual drama theatrics with the fun and eustress of pushing the entire to be team better.

Hawk fans ... or Poke fans of John/Pat Smith's coaching at OK State ... might have enjoyed the extra drama ... while that stuff worked ... but that PennState system appears to be some of the most chill, lowest drama stuff there's ever been ... IN ANY SPORT.

Tolerating bad behavior and/or attracting the characters who don't make any effort to channel their hyper-aggressive destructive behaviors, eg like Ferrari brothers [as long as they're out on bail] ... just tosses extra negative stress into the locker room -- doesn't advance the entire team and does not further the long-term goals of building reputations/careers in the professional ranks.

It's amazing to watch the system develop ... and see the long-term success/development of guys like Bo Nickal.

Me: Mark Bruns if you watched the match last night the Iowa wrestlers were all standing and cheerleading while the psu wrestlers were very relaxed and watching the match like they were in an interesting lecture.

Him:
You hit the nail on the head! The PennState wrestlers do not have to GET PUMPED UP or get psyched for their matches or teammates ... they do HAVE TO pay attention and scout the opposition and notice every last detail, to help coach their teammates, to help improve the system.

The Hawkeyes are still an excellent team and still well coached in best Gable traditions ... this group now [just like John Smith's Pokes now] is really solid and would probably defeat most, if not all, of Gable's teams through the years ... sure, the individuals would not necessarily beat the BEST-at-every-weight-from-different-years compilation of Hawk wrestlers, but this year's group would hang with that group of the best of best and probably even win a few matches here or there ....

It's just that PennState wrestling is on a completely different plane ... it's on an even higher plane than the MicahParsons-level Top10 College Football spectacle plane ... because it is SO INCREDIBLY CHILL ... not numb, but the concentration is ice-cold ... each of those guys is paying close attention and breaking down every move of every match, in order to be just like Cael ...

No other coaching system in history has gotten a system to this level, because it's not about a key player or set of players ... it's not exactly about recruiting, but instead about attracting the mindset ... it's not about this year's 4X NCAA Champion; there will always be a bunch of other 4X NCAA Champions in the pipeline ... it is about a system of constant improvement... LOVE of the sport and teammates ... as well as ice-cold disciplined study of the art.

The OTHER guys bang their heads into walls OR beat themselves into some sort of psychotic "I hate losin" frenzy OR celebrate with yells or tribal locker room dances [because they're almost afraid they don't quite belong and they'd better go crazy].

The athletes coming out of that PennState system like apex predators or big cats that just relax and softly purr after a kill ... that system totally eschews the prey mindset ... there's no crazed prey-animal fight about it ... it's just technical fun that depends upon athletic preparation.

What personality Type can't post a screenshot? 😜

my favorite Farside was this one ...

Lone-Ranger-Learns-Meaning-of-Kemo-Sabe-1.jpg

Brands: "Weren't ready. Weren't ready...you have to be ready, like beyond ready. If you just think your ready and you think its normal, its not normal."

Brands: "And that's not me putting them on a pedestal, that's not me conceding anything."

Hilarious! The Oscars has a category “Best Foreign Film”. Perhaps we could enact something similar for POTY using content from other message boards?

e55b7b4d-7386-455c-985b-18f6d1543811_text.gif

I won't predict a Davis victory next time, but that match showed one of the differences between Brands and Cael. Short-term vs long-term.

TB sent Ayala out with a strategy to win that one match. Get the 1st TD, then befuddle Davis with a right knee on the mat. It's a classic case of wrestling not to lose and why so many Hawk wrestlers plateau 2 or 3 years into their career.

For Brandon, it was a chance to practice and learn. With Cael, it's okay to lose if you give your best effort. BD has felt Ayala's go-to move and will have a plan for the one-knee defense next time.
If I recall, didn’t the Birdboy of Iowa’s weight room go all “praying mantis” on Bonaccorsi for his NC? Maybe TB took note and told Ayala to try it if he got a lead?
I do recall some nice Davis blast doubles against Kaylor and others. Maybe next time the altar boy kneels, Braedon loads up, fires and doesn't stop. And if a bone-hard shoulder hits Ayala in the chest rather than thigh (think full-on football tackle), I’m fine giving points to whoever wins the ensuing scramble.
Beats watching a boy at prayer.

I have a Facebook friend who lives in Iowa who is a pretty big wrestling fan in general, and he posted on Facebook his thoughts on this meet.

Well, after last night ... a guy realizes that's basically it for the big time major sporting events of the year ... nothing else is going to come close ... except for the Big10 / Big12 Wrestling Tournaments and the NCAA Wrestling Tournament in March.

But this PennState-Iowa dual on Friday night was EASILY the most interesting thing for January and February.

From now on, any time that we need a fix of competitive sports entertainment, we can examine the highlight reels and relive the biggest moment in sports for 2024 ... until those Wrestling Tournaments in March ... there's nothing else to get excited about.

Punk meme-sters in the wrestling punk subculture embrace a DIY ethic ... these punks self-produce their own shocking memes and distribute their offensive, rough-cut material through free, indie channels.

By order of the prophet
We ban that boogie sound
Degenerate the faithful
The electric kettle drum
The local guitar picker
As soon as the Sharif
Cleared the square
They began to wail

Sharif don't like it
Sharif don't like it

Him:

The Sanderson brothers [with the help of the PennState AD and PSU fans and all of the PSUwr assistants and former PSU wrestlers who are still involved through NLWC, both amateurs and professionals in UFC/MMA] have built a system ...

... ESPECIALLY for the opposing systems out there ... there doesn't appear to be any program that can really challenge PennState, so those other programs have evidently, until now, concluded they don't need to pay attention to PennState.

We are starting to see the wider influence on new up-and-coming programs like South Dakota State that have been closely associated with PennState ... it may take new schools, without a not-invented-here opposition to adopting parts of the PennState system.

There have been other dominant systems ... but I don't think we've ever seen a system like Sanderson's for developing wrestlers so well that the pump is continually re-primed and so the pipeline is perpetually filled with the best high school recruits and best transfer top-level students, eg Mesenbrink, Nagao, Truax [and others who are good, but might not make the lineup].

The level of talent coming into that PennState pipeline now is beyond jaw-dropping.

If you're really good [but might not always make the 10-man matches] why not wrestle the best [if they'll take you...] and pick up things from being involved with the whole PennState/NLWC system ... players, coaches, industry connections ....

The attraction of that system [and its connections] would be a real gamechanger for talented individuals who have goals of turning professional into UFC/MMAs or coaching/training other ... I expect that we will see other programs working 24x7 to somehow replicate that system and the attraction of its pipeline.

Me:

what they’ve done is revolutionized wrestling. I’m out with wifey but I could go on with what I see but I’m guessing you could explain it better.

Mark Bruns what they’ve done is revolutionized wrestling. I’m out with wifey but I could go on with what I see but I’m guessing you could explain it better.

Him:
Yes ... that system is just generally better at channeling stress to reduce mistakes and produce sustainable levels of improvement ... in coaching as well as the wrestlers ... replacing confrontational negative stress and individual drama theatrics with the fun and eustress of pushing the entire to be team better.

Hawk fans ... or Poke fans of John/Pat Smith's coaching at OK State ... might have enjoyed the extra drama ... while that stuff worked ... but that PennState system appears to be some of the most chill, lowest drama stuff there's ever been ... IN ANY SPORT.

Tolerating bad behavior and/or attracting the characters who don't make any effort to channel their hyper-aggressive destructive behaviors, eg like Ferrari brothers [as long as they're out on bail] ... just tosses extra negative stress into the locker room -- doesn't advance the entire team and does not further the long-term goals of building reputations/careers in the professional ranks.

It's amazing to watch the system develop ... and see the long-term success/development of guys like Bo Nickal.

Me: Mark Bruns if you watched the match last night the Iowa wrestlers were all standing and cheerleading while the psu wrestlers were very relaxed and watching the match like they were in an interesting lecture.

Him:
You hit the nail on the head! The PennState wrestlers do not have to GET PUMPED UP or get psyched for their matches or teammates ... they do HAVE TO pay attention and scout the opposition and notice every last detail, to help coach their teammates, to help improve the system.

The Hawkeyes are still an excellent team and still well coached in best Gable traditions ... this group now [just like John Smith's Pokes now] is really solid and would probably defeat most, if not all, of Gable's teams through the years ... sure, the individuals would not necessarily beat the BEST-at-every-weight-from-different-years compilation of Hawk wrestlers, but this year's group would hang with that group of the best of best and probably even win a few matches here or there ....

It's just that PennState wrestling is on a completely different plane ... it's on an even higher plane than the MicahParsons-level Top10 College Football spectacle plane ... because it is SO INCREDIBLY CHILL ... not numb, but the concentration is ice-cold ... each of those guys is paying close attention and breaking down every move of every match, in order to be just like Cael ...

No other coaching system in history has gotten a system to this level, because it's not about a key player or set of players ... it's not exactly about recruiting, but instead about attracting the mindset ... it's not about this year's 4X NCAA Champion; there will always be a bunch of other 4X NCAA Champions in the pipeline ... it is about a system of constant improvement... LOVE of the sport and teammates ... as well as ice-cold disciplined study of the art.

The OTHER guys bang their heads into walls OR beat themselves into some sort of psychotic "I hate losin" frenzy OR celebrate with yells or tribal locker room dances [because they're almost afraid they don't quite belong and they'd better go crazy].

The athletes coming out of that PennState system like apex predators or big cats that just relax and softly purr after a kill ... that system totally eschews the prey mindset ... there's no crazed prey-animal fight about it ... it's just technical fun that depends upon athletic preparation.
Nice write up....good insights....except this (unless I misunderstood):

"The Hawkeyes are still an excellent team and still well coached in best Gable traditions ... this group now [just like John Smith's Pokes now] is really solid and would probably defeat most, if not all, of Gable's teams through the years ... sure, the individuals would not necessarily beat the BEST-at-every-weight-from-different-years compilation of Hawk wrestlers, but this year's group would hang with that group of the best of best and probably even win a few matches here or there ...."

Was he referring to this current group of Hawks hanging with Gable's teams of the past? Sorry, no way! Not even close.

By order of the prophet
We ban that boogie sound
Degenerate the faithful
The electric kettle drum
The local guitar picker
As soon as the Sharif
Cleared the square
They began to wail

Sharif don't like it
Sharif don't like it

Him:

Me:

Him:

Him:

Here's Goggles upon seeing the length of this post....

Celebrate In Love GIF by Max

If I recall, didn’t the Birdboy of Iowa’s weight room go all “praying mantis” on Bonaccorsi for his NC? Maybe TB took note and told Ayala to try it if he got a lead?
I do recall some nice Davis blast doubles against Kaylor and others. Maybe next time the altar boy kneels, Braedon loads up, fires and doesn't stop. And if a bone-hard shoulder hits Ayala in the chest rather than thigh (think full-on football tackle), I’m fine giving points to whoever wins the ensuing scramble.
Beats watching a boy at prayer.
agreed Davis should do a bullrush for the TD!

Yep, that’s a long post but I want to post the entire conversation with him because he thought he had pretty good insights. I don’t know if I agree with the current Hawks beating the old Hawks, but I think you could probably make a good case for it. Otherwise.

I figured I’d share it because I thought he made a lot of sense overall.

Nice write up....good insights....except this (unless I misunderstood):

"The Hawkeyes are still an excellent team and still well coached in best Gable traditions ... this group now [just like John Smith's Pokes now] is really solid and would probably defeat most, if not all, of Gable's teams through the years ... sure, the individuals would not necessarily beat the BEST-at-every-weight-from-different-years compilation of Hawk wrestlers, but this year's group would hang with that group of the best of best and probably even win a few matches here or there ...."

Was he referring to this current group of Hawks hanging with Gable's teams of the past? Sorry, no way! Not even close.
He did say hang with and probably win a few matches, not straight up dominate. But I more look at what he’s trying to point out that the hawks are very good, Psu is just otherworldly .

A few months ago on the Hawkeye forum I hope that Penn State is like the SEC of wrestling, when someone over there took issue with it. I did mention that Penn State had one more national titles in the same time frame in the SEC did it was then I think 9 to 8.

More from my friend:

My fellow Iowans are not just risk-averse, they also tend to be IDEA-averse crybabies looking for an excuse to either have their feelings hurt OR to blame a losses on refs, rather than on the real root causes like ultra-pathetic offense that cannot advance a ball against a weak MN defense ... as an Iowan with a mfg background, I know that manufacturing excuses is Iowa's core mfg competency ... the truth is going to hurt the feelings of the idea-averse ... but that's what better ideas do.
---

---

---
SOME ... not all, but SOME of the best different wrestling programs actually are starting understand WHY and HOW PennState has now proven repeatedly to be so much better at reliably ATTRACTING seriously world-class, LOW-DRAMA talent that actually improves the overall atmosphere of disciplined improvement. This is probably why John Smith tried to export the Ferrari bros to Iowa.

It ain't hard to understand that excess drama kills improvement ... parents get it; the wrestling kiddos get it ... especially the kiddos coming out of those "breeder reactor" HOT high school prep programs like Wyoming Seminary [whose wrestling team has won the Pennsylvania Prep Wrestling State Tournament FIVE years in a row] understand the WHY the sharpest kiddos are going to tend to pick PennState ... it's the same attraction for best of the best wrestlers coming through the NCAA DI transfer portal.

Those prep programs in PA are why the Sandersons gravitated toward PennState.

Serious world-class, low-drama talent is smart enough to figure out why that hanging out psychotic head-bangers is going to be an impediment to their achieving their immediate goals, to networking professionally and generally advancing the cause of their career development for five or six decades.

SURE ... it is possible to lure the short-term thinking LOSERS who want to cash in with NIL deals ... but the low-drama, long-term SMART guys who are going to either develop into NCAA Champions or help their teammates become NCAA champions are going to opt for the low-drama, systematic improvement program.

The externalities of the PennState Wrestling program help the cause of larger Penn State University community ... and the PennState AD gets that.

And ... speaking of being AVERSE to ideas ... the IowaState AD COMPLETELY FAILED [in the late 2000s] TO HAVE A CLUE ABOUT UNDERSTANDING why it was necessary to fully support the full Sanderson system and the FULL [lifelong] wrestling pipeline. This is not just about the Sanderson bros ... but ALSO the Director of NLWC, Jake Varner ... ALL ISU alumni familiar with the excuses for why ISU "can't have nice things"... ALL refugees from Iowa State University because that University that completely FAILED to understand what the lifelong professional pipeline represented.

Reactions: Ski and crockster
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT