ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread PSU @ Iowa in-match discussion thread

I think TnT were especially proud of this one, but it won’t be long-lived. They hated that RBY challenged ADS to score without that triceps grab, and I think this was their response. After awhile RBY didn’t even need to keep the arm back as often. The difference is that TnT/ADS could never adapt at 133, but CCCJ will here at 125. What TnT missed out Friday on was gathering data on how to beat Braeden without it. They basically blew their wad before it mattered.
What was really cool about the hidden arm trick is that several guys at 33 picked up on it after RBY, ADS was never really a contender after that.

AKA the PIAA Special ... except that stall comes even later in the 3rd and the guy hadn't done anything for most of the entire match.
stalling should be called in the 1st period if the score is zeros the guy doing nothing should be called also stalls for guys that keep grabbing the fingers PSU guys were trying to shake the fingers off and the refs just stand there like nothing is going on then say dumb things like they both are doing it!

I’m a wrestling newbie and mostly lurk on the board trying to learn and see what others are thinking. I’ve heard people make comments in the past about the Iowa coach and I figured that was just your normal rival type stuff.

I saw the video of his post match presser last night and my first thought is there’s just something wrong with him. He reminded me of Narduzzi in some ways in his paranoia over PSU with the pedestal comment but it was more than that. I can’t pin it down but he’s just a really odd duck. Does that hurt them on the recruiting trail?
Funny you mention narduzzi. His name crossed my mind at the same time I was hoping Iowa doesn't get rid of TnT. Lol

Ok now I remember one. It was against Massa during the PSU/Mich dual. There's a couple others. I know he's been sick but with Carter I think its every year he's not at Peak conditioning until March. More than the others.
so a sick Carter still gets a major no worries!

I completely agree but Davis didn’t do enough either. He just stood in front of him a lot when Ayala dropped to his knee. Still should have been hit for stalling and it definitely could have changed the match but Davis needed to be a bit more aggressive. He didn’t start pushing the pace til way too late
I agree that Davis didn't use enough neutral attacks. I'm sure coaches will work on angles and sweeps to get to Ayala's elevated knee. it's a large target there for the taking. A wrestler on one knee is vulnerable for other attacks because of a lack of foot movement balance and stability.

Reactions: Creek Side
Yes, Bartlett got a stall warning. At the time, he was backing up and avoiding engagement with Woods. Had no issue with that call. If stalling was consistently called like that, it would big a big improvement to college wrestling.
key word consistent Beau avoided tying up as much as he could

After a ten page thread on GIA last year about how classless PSU fans were for booing Iowa at introductions, I can’t believe how easily we’re letting go the reported (by Byers) booing of PSU wrestlers at introductions by Iowa fans on Friday.
Not just Byers, I was there. Very loud boos for Carter’s introduction. Scattered boos for Brooks.

"Overall – We took care of business. Good for early Feb. Nebbie will be fun to watch and another measuring stick at a few weights! Hard to listen to Gibbons or Johnson. If there is anything good to say about PSU its in a low voice. History type of accolades are mostly always Iowa… such homers even though they are not trying to be. Just seems it is painful for them (to say something good to the Iowa opponent). Iowa had a lot of blood this meet"

I honestly don't understand comments like this and other similar ones. I thought that both announcers were effusive in their praise of PSU individuals (especially Levi) and of Cael and the team in general.
they do make 'nice' comments and praise PSU. The comment is how it seems painful for them to do so. They are on National TV and are not supposed to be bias. Just close your eyes and listen next time. Maybe it is me, but I don't think so

I won't predict a Davis victory next time, but that match showed one of the differences between Brands and Cael. Short-term vs long-term.

TB sent Ayala out with a strategy to win that one match. Get the 1st TD, then befuddle Davis with a right knee on the mat. It's a classic case of wrestling not to lose and why so many Hawk wrestlers plateau 2 or 3 years into their career.

For Brandon, it was a chance to practice and learn. With Cael, it's okay to lose if you give your best effort. BD has felt Ayala's go-to move and will have a plan for the one-knee defense next time.

I won't predict a Davis victory next time, but that match showed one of the differences between Brands and Cael. Short-term vs long-term.

TB sent Ayala out with a strategy to win that one match. Get the 1st TD, then befuddle Davis with a right knee on the mat. It's a classic case of wrestling not to lose and why so many Hawk wrestlers plateau 2 or 3 years into their career.

For Brandon, it was a chance to practice and learn. With Cael, it's okay to lose if you give your best effort. BD has felt Ayala's go-to move and will have a plan for the one-knee defense next time.
As somebody said previously, the Brands bros are so obsessed with winning every battle that they end up losing the war.

I was thinking the same thing, will have to wrestle these guys at least two more times including B10s and Nationals so improvements to be made including adjustments and strategy, Cael's got a plan, lol

key word consistent Beau avoided tying up as much as he could

I have zero issue with Beau's stall warning in the second period, but at the very least, it should have been a double stall. Woods did nothing in that match and even during the second period (when I don't think either wrestler took a committed shot), Bartlett was probably more active with his footwork and movement than Woods was. If you don't wish to call stalling, OK I guess, but I agree, if you ARE going to call it, call it consistently.

When the season is over, you’re going to find that Carter is not 100% healthy, and hasn’t been for quite some time. And yet, he’s still capable of winning a national title.

Sound familiar?

• Haha
Reactions: mcpat
Regarding woods… he changed levels and he wasn’t wearing any type of brace, but I thought the first takedown was finished awfully quick and easy for someone of his caliber. Too early to be called gassing due to illness. Seemed to support the leg injury rumor.

The subtlety of my bump =

giphy.gif

Regarding woods… he changed levels and he wasn’t wearing any type of brace, but I thought the first takedown was finished awfully quick and easy for someone of his caliber. Too early to be called gassing due to illness. Seemed to support the leg injury rumor.
Beau Bartlett took Nick Lee down 2 or three times the last time they wrested.
In FS,yes, but legit TD's that would have scored in folk also.

Maybe it's Beau.

After a ten page thread on GIA last year about how classless PSU fans were for booing Iowa at introductions, I can’t believe how easily we’re letting go the reported (by Byers) booing of PSU wrestlers at introductions by Iowa fans on Friday.
Probably because of where the bar is set. This year Carter didn't wear any beers.

I’m thinking they develop a plan as to how to take advantage and takedown a wrestler on his knee.
I saw it at nationals years ago and can't recall the wrestlers, but in my view wrestling from one knee is one of those things that appears different than it is. That time I believe it resulted in pin.

In reality doing so limits both lateral and forward/back movement despite giving the appearance of a solid defense.

What I saw resembled more of an instantaneous football tackle/blast double and the defensive wrestler was immediately put on his back. One would think, in turn, the only defense to a power attack is a roll through to either side using the attackers momentum against him, likewise being so close to the mat limits the effectiveness of a lateral drop.

In any case every time I have seen that defense since, I am hoping the other wrestler just blows through the staller forcing him to his back.

stalling should be called in the 1st period if the score is zeros the guy doing nothing should be called also stalls for guys that keep grabbing the fingers PSU guys were trying to shake the fingers off and the refs just stand there like nothing is going on then say dumb things like they both are doing it!
Wasn't there a rule years ago that if the score was 0-0 after the first period that a stall warning was given to the wrestler that the ref thought was the least aggressive? It wasn't a rule very long but there was something like that in the rules. Of course, as we've seen, refs can easily screw that up too.

I agree that Davis didn't use enough neutral attacks. I'm sure coaches will work on angles and sweeps to get to Ayala's elevated knee. it's a large target there for the taking. A wrestler on one knee is vulnerable for other attacks because of a lack of foot movement balance and stability.
Tell Anthony Robles that. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT