ADVERTISEMENT

MBB vs Wisky thread

I get to several games every season and last night was my first of the year. They continue to play the same way regardless of the talent on the court. They were down 17 freaking points to a team that lost by 27 at home two days ago.. This is the team Chambers sends out there regardless of the talent. They had a chance to be 2-0 in the BIG sitting on top for the next month. Wisconsin had beaten Penn State NINE straight times leading into last night. Home Big ten opener. There was no reason to come out with no energy and fall so far behind. That's on Chambers. Then I hear him on the post game radio show talking about this being a learning experience.. these guys aren't learning anything and it shows on the court time after time. Plenty of time left in the season but showing effort for 8 minutes in conference games will get you a CBI berth and Chambers a new job as an assistant at Delaware. How the last 10 seconds were coached is neither here nor there.. this type of game should've been about making foul shots and protecting an 8-10 point lead down the stretch, not letting it come down to one possession. Coach is letting the players down and the few fans that actually follow PSU bball.
Speaking of foul shots... IIRC NC State was in the penalty with 10 minutes to go in the half. I would have expected PSU to post Watkins up on the block and go to work. It didn't happen.

For all this talk about replacing Chambers, who would you be able to bring in? Is there a "Franklin" type of hire we could make? Remember PSU basketball, unlike football, has no tradition, fan base, or facilities to be competitive with the good teams. Coaches aren't going to be lining up at our doorstep waiting for an offer. Ideas?

Reactions: nits74
For all this talk about replacing Chambers, who would you be able to bring in? Is there a "Franklin" type of hire we could make? Remember PSU basketball, unlike football, has no tradition, fan base, or facilities to be competitive with the good teams. Coaches aren't going to be lining up at our doorstep waiting for an offer. Ideas?

I agree it won’t be easy and I don’t have immediate suggestions, but at this point does it even matter who? This just isn’t working.

Reactions: mn78psu83
I’m not sure a search for a Head BB Coach at PSU would be any more successful than the current search for a Head FB Coach at Tennessee.

We'd get someone like a John Becker, King Rice, or Dwayne Stephens.

Don't see someone like a Dan Hurley or Ed Cooley taking the job, and guys like Mack, Cronin, and McDermott wouldn't even think about it.

Yet I've said before that even if we hit a home run and got Chris Mack to take a boatload of $ and come, most of our ignorant hoops fan base would say "who? We need a big name coach".

They continue to play the same way regardless of the talent on the court. This is the team Chambers sends out there regardless of the talent.

Those right there are the "money" quotes. Tells you all you need to know.

When it isn't working, you can't just say we'll keep Chambers because we can't find someone better. Sandy is paid a lot to identify when a change is needed, research better options, and make a better hire. You can't get someone better than Chambers if you don't try. It may not be a "big name", but it may be a better coach. Besides established head coaches, there are always up and comers. Sandy needs to research the field and make a better hire.

Last edited:
We don't need to be a destination job in men's basketball but we should be seen as a job that can lead to better opportunities for young coaches. Change is needed. Only time will tell if that change is the right change.

Facilities are not the problem IMO.

Chambers has shown that talent will come to PSU. That's the first step. Now that other coaches know it can be done, I don't think it would be as difficult to find an up and coming coach.

Well, one COULD say Chambers is an up and coming coach.....it’s just that the speed of the assent of the program is about the speed of Tim Conway’s slow character on the old Carol Burnett show.

I have never seen a PSU team this talented. There has never been one. there is no way this team should have been down by 15 at home to a bad Wisconsin team. Shot after shot was totally ridiculous; nothing was falling because they were playing sloppy pick-up basketball. And on defense, they were just not doing much at all. Then, all of a sudden, they turn it on with 5:30 to go and it's a one-point game. Where was that for the first 34:30? It's true that college basketball is 70 percent recruiting and 30 percent coaching but that 30 percent still matters.

Well, 70% Recruiting and 30% Coaching leaves 00% for the actual Playing of the game.....so I’ll go 50% RECRUITING / 25% COACHING / 25% PLAYING.

Unfortunately the 25% PLAYING part of the equation only showed up for less than 15% of the game.

I'm surprised your post survived. I made a similar comment in a prior thread and it was deleted. Not that I think Chambers is necessarily the answer. Point is, Penn State is going to have to catch lightning in a bottle with any coach selection. And if they ever do, he'll be gone to greener pastures in short order.

I'm surprised your post survived. I made a similar comment in a prior thread and it was deleted. Not that I think Chambers is necessarily the answer. Point is, Penn State is going to have to catch lightning in a bottle with any coach selection. And if they ever do, he'll be gone to greener pastures in short order.
Yeah but after 23 straight years of not catching lightning in a bottle, including having an alum use the job as a stepping stone to Navy, does anyone really care if a coach wins here on his way to greener pastures?

Reactions: Mixolydian
Yeah but after 23 straight years of not catching lightning in a bottle, including having an alum use the job as a stepping stone to Navy, does anyone really care if a coach wins here on his way to greener pastures?
For all the times I think Penn State should be successful in hoops, there are an equal number of times when I think it's never going to happen. Like Kentucky or Indiana football. There's a main player on campus and that's fine. Could Penn St find Billy Donovan type to take hoops to next level and stay? Maybe. Resources are there to keep a coach, but atmosphere at BJC is an issue and job likely won't attract great candidates.

Reactions: Mixolydian
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT