ADVERTISEMENT

MBB @ Wisconsin

bdgan

May 29, 2008
Not much movement early. Nije missed a dunk and is getting beat by Crowl on the block.

PSU has given up 4 offensive rebounds and they've missed 3 FTs.

Pickett 8 pts, 7 rebounds, 4 assists. Dread & Funk each have a couple of 3s. Mahaffey continues to impress.

Wisconsin 30
PSU 36

Reactions: NedFromYork
Poor start to 2nd half. Lundy, Njie, and Wynter each pick up their 3rd fouls. Turnovers. Wisconsin 7-0 run.

Njie has yet to improve on offense...he and Funk have missed bunnies in the paint. This is a pedestrian Wisconsin team compared to their norm and standards..have to get this W

Reactions: bdgan
Lundy has been a non factor due to fouls. That's a big loss for a team w/o inside defenders.

Reactions: bison13
They should put Kebba in front of a pitching machine with tennis balls or something....can't handle a pass cleanly at all!

They should put Kebba in front of a pitching machine with tennis balls or something....can't handle a pass cleanly at all!
Crowl is having a career night. 21 pts and 11 rebounds so far. He's also the reason Wisconsin is in the double bonus.

Njie totally ineffective which is no surprise. But then lose Lundy and ouch.

My problem with these refs outside of calling time out for Wisconsin in the middle of a turnover is that Wisconsin can beat the $hit out of our shooters in the paint with no call while our guys get called for breathing on their shooters.

Reactions: bison13 and WaylonJ
Wynter is playing with no confidence. Takes it into the paint and pulls up. Short arms a 3.

Yes the officiating blew...Lundy had what, 2 pts? If he had 5 pts, we might win. One of the many problems with this team is that 2 guys get hot for a night and that's about it…. there's just not enough shot creators and big shot makers down the stretch….. we will look back at the resume and see all the missed close games including non conference that cost this team

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Funk had a good look and didn't hesitate but 2 would have won it.

Very depressing loss. Only 24 second half points.

Wynter played poorly. No confidence. Lundy had 2 pts, 4 fouls, and we lost his defense.

This reminds me of PSU losing Q4 leads to OSU in football. No confidence once things start going wrong. PSU had better players but Wisconsin expected to win.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
We have a lot of nice pieces but no puzzle. Kebba's missed dunk in the first half would've helped too.

Yeah Funk missed the last 2 shots. We missed our last 4. Tough charge on Jalen but he wasn't converting that anyway.

Very winnable game that we didn't deserve to win. Both teams missed many opportunities to take control. Of we end up in the NIT thiis game and @ Michigan were there for the taking. Would've been nice. Had a shot. 0-18 in Kohl since 1995. Oh well.

We had a 6 point lead coming out of H and in four minutes committed four fouls, turned it over three times and gave up 8.

This is why we lose, constantly. Oh yes, there's an upset or two per year. So that's exciting. Sometimes we shoot 79% from three.

The personnel changes every year. The coaches change..occasionally. The results are always the same. Now we have to kick in to the slush fund too, to pay the boys. Or they won't compete.

PSU always seems to be 1 player away. Imagine this team with Harrar. Instead of 12-6 we'd probably be 15-3.

IMO PSU has to beat Nebraska at home or any NCAA chances are gone. In fact I'd say they have to win 2 of the next 3.

PSU always seems to be 1 player away. Imagine this team with Harrar. Instead of 12-6 we'd probably be 15-3.

IMO PSU has to beat Nebraska at home or any NCAA chances are gone. In fact I'd say they have to win 2 of the next 3.

Bad coaching job tonight

Nebby needs to be a win for sure on Sat.
Rutgers at Rutgers not necessarily, yes it would be great but not a must have. But we need to beat Rutgers, Wisky, Illinois, MD, Michigan and NW at home along with beating Nebraska on the road. That is the blueprint for an 11-9 conf record and 20-11 overall which should get us in for sure. We could get in at 10-10 conf, 19-12 overall by winning a BTT game.

The issue is we are not great in close games so you know between Mich, Wisky and Rutgers plus probably Illinois they will all be close and can we win 4 close games? Not to mention winning at Nebby is no gimmie. We have a shot but the path is difficult but by no means unrealistic. It would have been nice to get this win tonight. Would have liked to see Pickett create for a shot inside at the end but we are right there with many of the teams.

We aren't great in close games because we get called for over twice as many fouls as our opponents. You can say it's because we shoot a lot of 3s but last night we had alot of shots from the paint and point blank range. Lots of contact on our shooters but never any foul calls on those shots. Meanwhile at the other end, many questionable foul calls where you are wondering exactly what our defender did wrong other than playing for PSU.

Reactions: johnmpsu
We aren't great in close games because we get called for over twice as many fouls as our opponents. You can say it's because we shoot a lot of 3s but last night we had alot of shots from the paint and point blank range. Lots of contact on our shooters but never any foul calls on those shots. Meanwhile at the other end, many questionable foul calls where you are wondering exactly what our defender did wrong other than playing for PSU.
Or we could just make the abundance of shots in the paint that psu misses every game. Funk and Kebba each missed 2 close ones, which obviously made a huge difference, looking at the final score. Lundy was terrible and a non factor offensively. Yes, the officiating was terrible, but if we can't find ways to get relief points inside, this year with so much potential for a tournament appearance, will vanquish soon. This team is 3 on 5 most nights offensively with too many guys who go cold and can't create.

Yes the officiating blew...Lundy had what, 2 pts? If he had 5 pts, we might win. One of the many problems with this team is that 2 guys get hot for a night and that's about it…. there's just not enough shot creators and big shot makers down the stretch….. we will look back at the resume and see all the missed close games including non conference that cost this team
Once Lundy & Mahaffey got into foul trouble we used 6'4" Dread to cover 7' Crowl. That's a near impossible assignment for Dread and it takes away from his offense.

Once Lundy & Mahaffey got into foul trouble we used 6'4" Dread to cover 7' Crowl. That's a near impossible assignment for Dread and it takes away from his offense.
Right....virtually everyone will be bigger than PSU -- but not many have a 7 footer like that. We have such a small margin for error, whether it be foul trouble, or missing easy baskets in the paint. With living or falling with the 3 point shot, all the ancillary things matter, unfortunately.

Right....virtually everyone will be bigger than PSU -- but not many have a 7 footer like that.
Next 6 games:

Nebraska: Walker 6'9"
@ Rutgers: Omoruyi 6'11"
Michigan: Dickinson 7'1"
@ Purdue: Edey 7'4"
@ Nebraska: Walker 6'9"
Wisconsin: Crowl 7'0"

Next 6 games:

PSU is the type of program that if it ever had a dominant big man like Edey, it wouldn't have anyone who could make a three-point shot. It just seems like this program always is missing a piece or three to really be an impactful Big 10 team.

Also, there's very little doubt in my mind that PSU would've won that game if it had been at home. However, you have to be able to win at least a third of the road games if you really want to be a player in the conference, which means winning upwards of 4 games. I have no idea how they ever won at Iliinois, but it's becoming obvious that another Big 10 road win, even against the likes of a Nebraska, is probably a long shot. Except for select seasons like in 2020, you pretty much know that PSU is going to lose almost every Big 10 road game, and that must change. God, even Northwestern already has won at MSU and Indiana this season.

Reactions: psurichc
I have no idea how they ever won at Iliinois, but it's becoming obvious that another Big 10 road win, even against the likes of a Nebraska, is probably a long shot. Except for select seasons like in 2020, you pretty much know that PSU is going to lose almost every Big 10 road game, and that must change. God, even Northwestern already has won at MSU and Indiana this season.
The odds of us losing every road game the rest of the way are around 1.6%. Conservatively, that's 1 in 50, and yet you think it's a "long shot" of happening?

Funk hits his 3 with 10 seconds left and we get a stop, and suddenly the talk is all about us being an NCAA team...he misses, and now we likely won't win another road game this year? We have 3 games left on the road against teams worse than Wisconsin. Nothing I saw last night makes me think those games are suddenly obvious losses.

And without doing research, I'd guess we've probably been winning about a quarter of our road games over the past several years.

Next 6 games:

Yikes...nevermind then! Lol. Maybe I'm just so conditioned watching Penn state basketball I think everybody has a 6'5 center

• Haha
Reactions: jjw165
The odds of us losing every road game the rest of the way are around 1.6%. Conservatively, that's 1 in 50, and yet you think it's a "long shot" of happening?

Funk hits his 3 with 10 seconds left and we get a stop, and suddenly the talk is all about us being an NCAA team...he misses, and now we likely won't win another road game this year? We have 3 games left on the road against teams worse than Wisconsin. Nothing I saw last night makes me think those games are suddenly obvious losses.

And without doing research, I'd guess we've probably been winning about a quarter of our road games over the past several years.
They probably will win at least another road game based on the odds. However, I would not make this team a favorite to win any Big 10 road game and believe that it will very hard to win any of these games.

How many true road games has this team won this season? By my count, one against Illinois. They lost true road games at Clemson, Michigan and Wisconsin. They also lost a neutral site game against VPU; I know that they won a few neutral site games too. They also lost a pseudo-neutral site game against Purdue.

They probably will win at least another road game based on the odds. However, I would not make this team a favorite to win any Big 10 road game and believe that it will very hard to win any of these games.
You might not, but we will be pretty heavily favored at Minnesota (7-8ish), and would be a small favorite at Nebraska today.

You might not, but we will be pretty heavily favored at Minnesota (7-8ish), and would be a small favorite at Nebraska today.
I know that Minnesota only has won one Big 10 game, but that was last Thursday at OSU. I watched almost all of that game, and Minnesota has two tall players who will give PSU trouble inside. They also were very physical against OSU.

I do agree that if PSU is to win any more road games, the Minnesota and Nebraska games are the likely ones. I still don't like their chances.

They played a team that they had never beaten on the road. They did not have a good night from the 3 pt line. Their best shooter missed the last two shots after being set up well. All this and they lost by 3.

IMHO, it was a great coaching job. This team will win a lot more games this year. They never lost their poise when Purdue threatened to walk away with the game. They matched them bucket for bucket. Holding Wisconsin under 70 points in their gym is amazing.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT