ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s dress shoes

meanmiJ01

Jan 2, 2003
What’s everyone’s opinion on men’s dress shoes. I wear dress shoes 5 day a week and my tan shoes are starting to show wear. They are Cole Haan’s and I have got a solid 5 years out of them. I can get the employee discount for new ones so the question is, is it worth it to step up to an Alden or Allen Edmond or stay the course and get Cole Haan?

What’s everyone’s opinion on men’s dress shoes. I wear dress shoes 5 day a week and my tan shoes are starting to show wear. They are Cole Haan’s and I have got a solid 5 years out of them. I can get the employee discount for new ones so the question is, is it worth it to step up to an Alden or Allen Edmond or stay the course and get Cole Haan?

Allen Edmonds with the rubber sole are by far my favorite dress shoe I have ever owned.

I love Alden and Allen Edmonds.

I have several pair of Aldens. They are top quality. And when the reach a certain point, you send them back to the company and they basically rebuild the shoe. (At a cost of course)

Reactions: Oxford_Lion
I only wear dress shoes when I wear a suit or really want to look spify. My typical shoe with business casual is Keen Targahee II hiking shoes. My dress shoes are Johnson and Murphy old school wing tips.

Reactions: Cosmos
Cole Haan is owned by Nike. Therefore, they have a lot of insight into sole design. IMO, more expensive shoes might have a longer break in period. However, if there is a high grade softer leather used in the shoe, the downside of that is it will wear out more quickly. 2-3 pairs will increase the lifetime of the shoes, because it allows the perspiration to dry out of the shoe. It also allows for more stylish diversity. Wear what you like, and what makes you feel good. I don't hesitate to buy online to get a sale, if I am familiar with the brand. Zappos has free return shipping. ---Katchelda Marcos.

Reactions: WestSideLion
Stick with the Haan shoes as you’ve had good success with them. I personally prefer J & M but all the brands you mentioned are fine. The cap toe is the dressiest model, IMHO.

If you wear them 5 days a week, then I agree with the folks saying save $ and put that toward a second (or third) pair of shoes. They’ll last longer and you’ll have more options. The ladies will also notice, if that’s your cup of tea (not that there’s anything wrong with that).

Stick with the Haan shoes as you’ve had good success with them. I personally prefer J & M but all the brands you mentioned are fine. The cap toe is the dressiest model, IMHO.
1_e6b6820acf0727aefdf618015e5b316b.jpg

Something like this ?

Allen Edmonds or Bruno Magli’s. The latter are certainly pricey, but they last a long time & have some styles that work well either as casual or dressed up (very convenient for travel purposes). Step down from these are Cole Haan & Johnston & Murphy, still good choices.

If you wear dress shoes five days a week, get the most comfortable ones. Not a good analogy but I live in FL and wear sandals basically 7 days a week and definitely go for comfort.

I don't know. But I will say an Italian leather driving loafer is worth its weight in gold. I'm partial to Ferragamo but Gucci or Tod's works too. Sorry I wasn't much help (FWIW, stick with the CH for the discount).

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy
I don’t know if they are “dressy” enough for you, but Bull-Boxers have become my favorite everyday shoe for work. They might be too business casual if you wear suits to work, however.

Cole Haan is owned by Nike. Therefore, they have a lot of insight into sole design. IMO, more expensive shoes might have a longer break in period. However, if there is a high grade softer leather used in the shoe, the downside of that is it will wear out more quickly. 2-3 pairs will increase the lifetime of the shoes, because it allows the perspiration to dry out of the shoe. It also allows for more stylish diversity. Wear what you like, and what makes you feel good. I don't hesitate to buy online to get a sale, if I am familiar with the brand. Zappos has free return shipping. ---Katchelda Marcos.

No longer. Sold to a PE company seven years ago.

Good news is that leather for some Cole Haan uppers is made by Horween. Hard to do better if you can identify them.

Reactions: katchthis
I don't know. But I will say an Italian leather driving loafer is worth its weight in gold. I'm partial to Ferragamo but Gucci or Tod's works too. Sorry I wasn't much help (FWIW, stick with the CH for the discount).

A driving shoe for day-to-day wear? I guess that's okay if one can afford to throw a pair out every month or so.

A driving shoe for day-to-day wear? I guess that's okay if one can afford to throw a pair out every month or so.

I didn't say I wear them every day, did I? Just offering that if you can get a pair, do it.

Fair enough. I have a couple of pairs of Tods and I wouldn't wear them for anything but driving or as a bedroom slipper.

Let me expand my original statement - Italian leather loafers in general are awesome.

Allen Edmonds or Bruno Magli’s. The latter are certainly pricey, but they last a long time & have some styles that work well either as casual or dressed up (very convenient for travel purposes). Step down from these are Cole Haan & Johnston & Murphy, still good choices.
Yes, Bruno Magli, preferred brand of OJ Simpson.

I’ve got 8 pairs of Cole Haan Zerogrand style shoes ... either boots or oxfords. Love them... IMO best shoe for its price range

Fair enough. I have a couple of pairs of Tods and I wouldn't wear them for anything but driving or as a bedroom slipper.

I am a peon. I admit it. But what do you mean by a driving shoe?

Cole Haan is owned by Apax.

LdN

The Apax relationship proved fruitful for me in scoring some Cole Haan shoes at a big discount. With that said, I’m still an Allen Edmonds guy when it comes to a leather sole. I have 8 or 9 pairs, mostly Park Ave and 5th Ave in all of the colors (black, brown, chili, walnut) - many of them resoled (or recrafted) multiple times over. Half of them are over 10 years old and still feel and look great. I have a couple of Alden shoes as well. Very high quality, but I prefer the feel of AE. The coolest shoes I own are Corthay, but I only wear them once every few years.

You can’t go wrong with any of those brands. The CH with a discount is great value. It all comes down to personal preference. Get some good shoe trees and galoshes for the Winter

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT