ADVERTISEMENT

Mercyhurst moving to D1

billrag

Jan 25, 2011
I just saw a report that they're joining the Northeast Conference and that any sports which weren't already D1 (maybe hockey) will now be D1. I'm not sure that they'll be a challenge for PSU anytime soon, but it's always nice to see more D1 wrestling programs.

I just saw a report that they're joining the Northeast Conference and that any sports which weren't already D1 (maybe hockey) will now be D1. I'm not sure that they'll be a challenge for PSU anytime soon, but it's always nice to see more D1 wrestling programs.
I look at it as a victory. If the sport gains a program and doesn't lose one in any given year then I think it's a win. Another thing I am hoping for but not expecting is maybe USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington adding wrestling now that they are in the Big 10. Again I'm hoping and not expecting.

The NEC doesn’t sponsor wrestling so I’d imagine they’re headed for either the MAC or EIWA.

It’ll be interesting to see how this affects their approach to recruiting. They’re a good academic school that’s not under the Penn West umbrella and Coach Wehler is firmly entrenched in the program

Reactions: billrag
The NEC doesn’t sponsor wrestling so I’d imagine they’re headed for either the MAC or EIWA.

It’ll be interesting to see how this affects their approach to recruiting. They’re a good academic school that’s not under the Penn West umbrella and Coach Wehler is firmly entrenched in the program

Coach Wehler seems like a pretty good guy. My son wrestled briefly for him at Mercyhurst and doesn't have anything bad to say about the man. I met with him when my son was deciding on college and deciding whether to wrestle or not and liked him.

Coach Wehler seems like a pretty good guy. My son wrestled briefly for him at Mercyhurst and doesn't have anything bad to say about the man. I met with him when my son was deciding on college and deciding whether to wrestle or not and liked him.
Did your son decide to wrestle in college? Also, when will they be eligible to compete in D1 Nationals?

I’d imagine it’ll be at least a couple of years before they complete the process and are a fully fledged D1 program.

The location of the school should be a plus for recruits up there being that Erie is situated along I90 and near I79 so it’s easy for kids from Buffalo, Cleveland or Pittsburgh to get to. The recruiting battles with Clarion, Edinboro, and Pitt amongst others will be fun to watch.

Reactions: flyinorvi
Did your son decide to wrestle in college? Also, when will they be eligible to compete in D1 Nationals?

My son was on the team his freshman year. He was hanging with the guys on the team (as far as his wrestling skills) and he enjoyed most of the people involved in the program, he simply decided that of being a good student, being a wrestler and having any social life at all, that he could do two of the three at best and definitely not all three, so he chose to quit the team after his freshman year. He did ask me if I would be upset with him and of course I gave him my blessing given that his reasoning was sound.

Reactions: hlstone
I think that’s a safe bet

Obviously that was said tongue in cheek. My son, who's a Mercyhurst graduate and former wrestler there (briefly as I explained) said that for at least a few years that they'll get wrecked in every sport, which is also a reasonably safe bet.

Reactions: PSUoh90
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT