ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Beard at National Preps Thread

I just watch Beard matches at NP tourney- very impressive! he will excel in the PSU room!
My only concern is his size, he looks to be a solid 195 now. will he be able to hold 184/197 for 5 years?
it seems to me that he may fall into that twinner category between 197 and 285.

Carson Manville in semis right now on mat 2, up 3-0 to start third.
I had to answer phone and missed ending but believe it ended 5-0.

Last edited:
Beard up now, Mat 2 vs Austin Stith.
He's in fast on a single to go up 2-0. Lets him go 2-1.
Three quick go-behind and releases, 8-3. Should be 8-4. Yep.
Again, two quick go-behinds, 12-6. Looks more active than yesterday.
14-7 now, after converting a single.
Back to the go behind, 16-7.
Stays on top and tilts to make it 19-7.

Second period. Breathe.
Two more takedowns gives Beard the tech 23-8.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maddog
That was the fastest tech fall I can remember seeing. At least in that manner, I've seen quick 15-0s, but he got 10 takedowns in 2:17 and a turn with a bar iirc. Beard looks great.

Last edited:
i rest my case.
Pretty bad when things are so boring in Hawkeye world that you have to come over here for entertainment. I guess it's a carryover from watching your wrestling matches. The upside is at least PA was nice enough to loan you a couple of our wrestlers to wake the crowd up, if just for a short portion of Hawkeye matches.

That was the fastest tech fall I can remember seeing. At least in that manner, I've seen quick 15-0s, but he got 10 takedowns in 2:17 and a turn with a bar iirc. Beard looks great.

Fast TF yes, lightening fast not quite. Here is Austin Desanto completing a TF in less than 1 minute. It gets to the point where I am embarrassed for his opponent. It's pretty clear this was his goal as he could have pinned him whenever he wanted. I would have loved to have seen him in blue and white. Clearly not the best in his weight class (close) but by far the most aggressive and one of the most entertaining wrestlers to watch in the nation. He fits our style to a tee.
https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6034783-austin-desantos-58-second-tech-fall

Is there a schedule to show who wrestles on which mat at a certain time? On Flo but am bouncing from mat to mat trying to find guys I want to see..

Is there a schedule to show who wrestles on which mat at a certain time? On Flo but am bouncing from mat to mat trying to find guys I want to see..
At Flo Arena you can not only see who's wrestling where but you can also sign up for alerts to particular wrestlers, and get mat assignments and results for that wrestler by email or text.

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
Huh? College, that’s quaint. Then comes law school and med school.. but whatever. But how a thread about your recruit turns into a thread about how ONE person’s fly-by night comment that now constitutes the opinion of all Hawk fans is beyond me (i.e. Beard will never beat Warner).

And think back a short bit - Clark pretty much owned Gulibon.
Fixed it for you. Count by integers.
The going to college reference has to do with your thought process, or the evidence you insist on providing that it may be somewhat weak.
Bubba certainly was owned by Metcalf, but Bubba as a PSU wrestler does not fall into the Cael era or the past 8 year period. Bubba did defeat Taylor in the NCAA finals, but as a Sun Devil not a Hawk, and in one match. Not hardly owning.

I might be mistaken but i believe Cory and Jimmy wrestled twice, splitting 1 - 1. Each kid's spohomore year Jimmy got the dual and Cory won the NCAA semi-final.

Congrats, you are a stereotypical HR poster. You make noise, yet you have no idea what it is you are making noise about.

As I said, the idea that Beard after spending time in the PSU room will struggle with Warner has no merit. Well, other than your closing eyes, clicking your heels together 3 times and wishing really hard.

One match? So if Sorensen beats Zain, he is no longer owned?

Maybe I should have originally replied like this:
No Hawk wrestler has owned a Nit in the past 8 years....

No Nit has owned a Hawk for the 50 years prior!

And odds are, you weren’t a fan before 8 years ago either.
Dude,
Iowa's run was not a 50 year run. As far as 50 years prior. My guess is you do not know the answer to this, but do you have any idea who won an NCAA wrestling championship first, Iowa or PSU.

The non-fan prior to 8 years ago comment just goes to show how truly ignorant you are of any wrestling knowledge.

One of last two thoughts. Dude, Beard and Warner will compete against each other and the Hoffman kid in today's world, not 25 years ago. So could you not stomp your feet and pout and type something entirely absent a point.

Last point. Why don't you exit this thread and enter another. Maybe you can make a new first impression. The impression made in this thread is that of an imbecile. I am certain you can do better.

Dude,
Iowa's run was not a 50 year run. As far as 50 years prior. My guess is you do not know the answer to this, but do you have any idea who won an NCAA wrestling championship first, Iowa or PSU.

The non-fan prior to 8 years ago comment just goes to show how truly ignorant you are of any wrestling knowledge.

One of last two thoughts. Dude, Beard and Warner will compete against each other and the Hoffman kid in today's world, not 25 years ago. So could you not stomp your feet and pout and type something entirely absent a point.

Last point. Why don't you exit this thread and enter another. Maybe you can make a new first impression. The impression made in this thread is that of an imbecile. I am certain you can do better.
Warner’s lucky he didn’t face Rasheed given that Warner lost to Wilcke.

Would have been ugly against Shak

Reactions: PSUer1989
At Flo Arena you can not only see who's wrestling where but you can also sign up for alerts to particular wrestlers, and get mat assignments and results for that wrestler by email or text.

Just found it and set it up.. Never knew that was there, thanks much

Finals here are basically a Blair Wyoming dual that a few other schools accidentally showed up to. Beau Bartlett (126) won his final 7-4.

Warner’s lucky he didn’t face Rasheed given that Warner lost to Wilcke.

Would have been ugly against Shak
Patience ... Shak and Cassar have next year.

Meanwhile, amused at the troll's claim about no Hawk being owned by a PSU wrestler in the 50 years pre-Cael, when a PSU doctor from Danville made 2 different Gable wrestlers quit, including one in the national finals.

Carson Manville up now vs Robinson from Blair. First four finals matches have been Wyoming Blair, Wyoming taking the first three; and four if Manville can take this one.

Chippy match (surprise), Manville takes it 2-1.

Last edited:
Patience ... Shak and Cassar have next year.

Meanwhile, amused at the troll's claim about no Hawk being owned by a PSU wrestler in the 50 years pre-Cael, when a PSU doctor from Danville made 2 different Gable wrestlers quit, including one in the national finals.
Who was the kid so entirely obliterated by Prescott in one finals he spent the next year's finals sitting on Gable's lap so there was no possibility of Prescott ever touching him?

To clariify: freshman Carson Manville beat Perennial Top Five Rutgers program savior Malcolm Robinson.
Another kid (Robinson) who knows right now the exact same amount of wrestling as he will know 5 years from now.

Can not understand why Rutgers does not encourage this kid to go to Penn State for at least a year before transferring to Rutgers.

Another kid (Robinson) who knows right now the exact same amount of wrestling as he will know 5 years from now.

Can not understand why Rutgers does not encourage this kid to go to Penn State for at least a year before transferring to Rutgers.
That's not quite fair. He might learn some boxing in 5 years.

Reactions: PSUer1989
Who was the kid so entirely obliterated by Prescott in one finals he spent the next year's finals sitting on Gable's lap so there was no possibility of Prescott ever touching him?
The best ownership had to be when your legendary coach forfeits your weight because you hadn't earned the right to face Kerry McCoy.

Hmm. I kinda remember a pancake served in BJC. Kinda proving the point huh!
One match? So if Sorensen beats Zain, he is no longer owned?

Maybe I should have originally replied like this:
No Hawk wrestler has owned a Nit in the past 8 years....

No Nit has owned a Hawk for the 50 years prior!

And odds are, you weren’t a fan before 8 years ago either.

The last comment is just stupid. PENNSYLVANIA is known for its wrestling. It’s not like the state just got into wrestling due to PSU. Just stop.

Reactions: lionlover
Dude,

History Question:

Which of these schools was the LAST college to win an initial NCAA Wresting Championship:
1. Indiana
2. Penn State
3. Oklahoma
4. Oklahoma State
5. Iowa State
6. Michigan State
7. Iowa

Followup: Which of these schools finished in second place in NCAAs before Iowa won their initial NCAA Championship in 1975 (Iowa never finished in second before 1975). I'm not including the schools that already finished first in this timeframe, as many of them also finished second prior to 1975.
1. Michigan
2. Illinois
3. Lehigh
4. Purdue
5. Pittsburgh
6. Oregon State

First answer is Iowa. All the others had at least one National Championship before Iowa
Second answer is All of them

So, in 1975, when Iowa won their first National Championship, already 6 current Big Ten teams won or finished second at NCAAs before Iowa.

Looks to me that Iowa is the Newbie/Johnny-Come-Lately in NCAA Wrestling. Yes, Iowa had a great stretch from 1975 to 2010, but has only 1 second place finish since then.

PJ Mustipher was winning 2-0 in the second (1E and Locked Hands), when he pretty much stuck himself.

History Question:

Which of these schools was the LAST college to win an initial NCAA Wresting Championship:
1. Indiana
2. Penn State
3. Oklahoma
4. Oklahoma State
5. Iowa State
6. Michigan State
7. Iowa

Followup: Which of these schools finished in second place in NCAAs before Iowa won their initial NCAA Championship in 1975 (Iowa never finished in second before 1975). I'm not including the schools that already finished first in this timeframe, as many of them also finished second prior to 1975.
1. Michigan
2. Illinois
3. Lehigh
4. Purdue
5. Pittsburgh
6. Oregon State

First answer is Iowa. All the others had at least one National Championship before Iowa
Second answer is All of them

So, in 1975, when Iowa won their first National Championship, already 6 current Big Ten teams won or finished second at NCAAs before Iowa.

Looks to me that Iowa is the Newbie/Johnny-Come-Lately in NCAA Wrestling. Yes, Iowa had a great stretch from 1975 to 2010, but has only 1 second place finish since then.
The Iowa fans who like to use that Penn State fans think wrestling started in 2009-10 line will snicker amongst themselves because everybody knows wrestling became an NCAA team sport in 1974-75.

Reactions: Ski
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT