ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan's response: nice league you've got there...shame if something happened to it

don't forget harbaugh's 50% pay cut too...Here's the timeline.

2015-2020 record: 49-22 (average 2.67 B2G losses/yr)
2020 (50% pay cut)
Record since pay cut 33-3 (with 2 losses coming in the CFP)

That's an amazing turnaround. Definitely not because of something desperate being done when things are falling apart and you are on the hot seat
The third loss was 37-33 to Michigan State in Mel Tucker's first season, when presumably UM wouldn't have had a chance to learn his signals yet (MSU also had a great running back, so that helped).

In principle I agree, but these are two different issues: the requirements of justice and the impact on the game.

Personally, I'd love to see Michigan face the music. But even more than that, I'd love to win the game on Saturday. If I were given the choice between one or the other, I have to honestly say I'd take the W in a heartbeat.
I get it, but I also think our guys have a good bit of motivation as well, after last year’s embarrassment.

Eh. If either of these teams weren't already motivated enough to run through a wall on the way to the field then they shouldn't be playing. If Michigan wants to get so jacked up that they gas out after an adrenaline dump then I guess good for us.

True...but you're always looking for an emotional edge and happy to take one when it presents itself.

Here's their QB after the Purdue game:

>>We were already super close as a unit, but with more stuff coming in — the hate and noise and all that other stuff — we just think of it as ‘Us Against the World’ every single day,. We’re just trying to focus on getting better every single day so we can prove them all wrong.<<

As I said, I'd love for Michigan to face the music...but I'd prefer for Harbaugh to be on the sidelines this Saturday. I think it might be a bigger distraction for the Wolverines for him to be there rather than playing the martyr back in Ann Arbor.

Reactions: 81b&w
Harbaugh was 64-21 before Stallions was a paid staffer. 21-1 after.
Gattis wins the Broyles with Stalions help, goes to Miami as OC and is so incompetent he is fired a year later.

More astounding is the fact Hairball was 34-16 in Conference play during his first 6 years and 18-0 during the last 2 years of his 8 year tenure. That's a pretty dramatic difference - a 68% In-Conference winning percentage his first 6 years and 100% since Cheater-boy stole most of his opponents playbooks and accompanying signals???

I don't think Petitti and the BIG have any balls at all. And we know that the NCAA is feckless. UM knowing the signs of opponents for 3+ years has been the equivalent of them playing with 12 players. There's no way that the entire coaching staff could not have known and it's highly likely that most of the players knew or at least suspected. Did they think that their coaches were so damn smart that they constantly called the right alignments play after play, game after game?
I’m not excusing Michigan in this but let me ask you a question. Would OSU having signs (supposedly legally) make their games the equivalent of having 12 men on the field as well.

Reactions: IndyLion1
so, in summary...

• yeah we stole signs, so what?
  • Everybody does it
  • The team is guilty but not Harbaugh
  • The clause has never been used before although we agreed to it as have all of the other B1G teams
  • And even if we are guilty, and we are, it didn't help. we just did it for fun and to see if we could get away with it
  • We may seek legal action
This comes down to two things IMHO. Michigan is guilty and they admit it. The B1G must have floated a suspension against Harbaugh as punishment but they suggest Harbaugh is not guilty. So, I guess, they want to punish the team and not Harbaugh? They are trying to delay things. First buy suggesting they need more evidence and an investigation and second by suggesting their file a lawsuit. One has to wonder why they want to delay. I guess they hope this all just goes away but I have to believe it will get worse during the PSU,tOSU, B1G championship and playoffs if UM makes it that far.

I still think a lawsuit is just a delaying tactic. UM signed the agreement giving the B1G and NCAA the power. UM has already admitted they are guilty. So their position is they don't like the punishment? Try that the next time your driver's license is suspended for a year and you got a $1500 fine for driving drunk and using the excuse "nobody got hurt".

The letter reads like spaghetti. It is all over the place and grasping at straws. It is GREAT to see the B1G implode on this as the B1G has gone out of their way to make sure it is still the big two little eight. We've seen the refs calls against these two teams year in and year out. I recall the head of officiating was a UM grad who had a UM helmet lamp in his office. Now if the B1G doesn't put the hammer down, they will be exposed because you can be damn sure Iowa or PSU would have gotten gutted. And if they do put the hammer down, they damage the B1G's premier matchup. Lastly, I have to say, UM now calling the NCAA and B1G unfair after what PSU went through is the highlight of the season so far.
Very little mention of the cheating in recruiting during COVID. Granted, it was a punishment of having to sit in the living room while three cupcakes were being served in the dining room. But the bigger issue is that cheating appears to be systemic to the program and could be ample reason to hammer them. Yet they won't

Sometimes our eyes see what they want to see...but early season, backup QB Tuttle was in the game and he scrambled towards the sideline. Got pushed out of bounds and took an awkward fall and he actually seemed to hit a camera stand. Huge delay...refs looking into a late hit...medics on the scene. I'm pretty sure they threw a super late flag for unnecessary roughness or something.

Tuttle heads back to UM's sidelines after a few minutes...and the next time we see him on camera, he's laughing hysterically with teammates.

I'm about 95% sure it was all an act. Reading the body language...the situation of the game (late blowout in the big house)...and then the frat antics after the fact (plus, no actual injury, despite the drama)...

Fits Michigan's MO. We're better than everyone else and rules/morality don't apply to us.

Michigan's media waterboy, Dan Wetzel, naturally obtained the school's response (link below) yesterday to the commissioner's inquiry, and it basically threatens to burn down the whole league if any sanctions are imposed this week.

Elsewhere I read that the university has enlisted the services of legal heavyweight firm Williams and Connolly. The Wolvies are ready to go to war.

Petitti is in a hopelessly no-win situation now. It's hard to see how he can back down at this late hour without losing all credibility. Therefore, I think he'll move today to suspend Harbaugh for two games. This is little more than a gesture -- it's not like such a thing by itself would hurt Michigan -- but the symbolism and the message it sends are important.

Any other program in the league (except maybe Ohio State) would have been squashed like a bug by now. Is Michigan bigger than the entire conference? We're going to find out.

Michigan is a substantial member of the Big ten but it's membership is not necessary to the success of the Big ten. With usc, UCLA, Oregon and Washington coming in as well as Ohio State and Penn State in the league, if Michigan were to leave it would be barely noticed. Personally, I would be happy to open the door and give them a kick in the rear end and let them go to whoever would take them.

Michigan is a substantial member of the Big ten but it's membership is not necessary to the success of the Big ten. With usc, UCLA, Oregon and Washington coming in as well as Ohio State and Penn State in the league, if Michigan were to leave it would be barely noticed. Personally, I would be happy to open the door and give them a kick in the rear end and let them go to whoever would take them.
Will never happen. There is too much money for everyone for that to happen. At the very least, all of the teams in the B1G before the expansion are permanent members.

Reactions: Westcoast24
Will never happen. There is too much money for everyone for that to happen. At the very least, all of the teams in the B1G before the expansion are permanent members.
If there's too much money, then a good deal of Michigan's threats are baseless. If Michigan really wants to leave and doesn't want to subject itself to the same rules that apply to everyone else, there is no substantial damage to the Big 10. Let them go.

Maize and manure?
Beautiful RoyBoy - Thanks!
If the shit sticks, wear it.
Also beautiful, FastLax16 - Thanks!
True...but you're always looking for an emotional edge and happy to take one when it presents itself.

Here's their QB after the Purdue game:

>>We were already super close as a unit, but with more stuff coming in — the hate and noise and all that other stuff — we just think of it as ‘Us Against the World’ every single day,. We’re just trying to focus on getting better every single day so we can prove them all wrong.<<

As I said, I'd love for Michigan to face the music...but I'd prefer for Harbaugh to be on the sidelines this Saturday. I think it might be a bigger distraction for the Wolverines for him to be there rather than playing the martyr back in Ann Arbor.
It's easy to talk $hit after beating perennial doormat Purdue.
Michigan is the Harvard Trump U of the Midwest.
Fuc# your politics! We're on the eve of the PSU vs UM game douchebag!!

It doesn't matter when it was used or why. Let's use a different analogy. The next time you get pulled over for speeding, tell the officer that all of the other cars were speeding too. Or, you can say that nobody ever gets pulled over for speeding at that location. See how that works for you. And it isn't "poor sportmanship". Poor sportmanship is not shaking hands after the game. this is a direct violation of a rule.

the "legal action" path won't help them other than to delay things. They have no legal path. They signed up to follow the rules and did not. This isn't a law, they didn't commit a crime, they violated an agreement that promoted fair practice and competition for football. They can't win a lawsuit because they disagree with the refs call of roughing the passer or filling the punter's ball with helium.

If Michigan has no "legal path", then why hasn't the Big Ten issued a punishment? We heard it was coming on Monday. Then on Wednesday. Then, today Thursday.

If the Big Ten is delayed until the NCAA concludes their investigation, that is all Michigan seeks.

So, if it was Ohio State in this scenario would you be foolish enough to think the Big Ten should kick them out?

So, if it was Ohio State in this scenario would you be foolish enough to think the Big Ten should kick them out?
If Ohio state was acting like the twat that Michigan is confirming that it is, I wouldn't be offended or surprised if the Big ten would open its door to Ohio State and say if you don't like the way we do things you can leave. I don't think the Big ten needs both Ohio State and Michigan although I believe it needs one of them.

• Wow
Reactions: Westcoast24
If Ohio state was acting like the twat that Michigan is confirming that it is, I wouldn't be offended or surprised if the Big ten would open its door to Ohio State and say if you don't like the way we do things you can leave. I don't think the Big ten needs both Ohio State and Michigan although I believe it needs one of them.
lol--ask FOX and CBS and NBC if they need both

And Lawyering Up Big Time, you always do that when your Innocent.
Michigan will never leave the B1G. It is too established there and the money is too good. They are lawyered up. Let the muddying of the waters and the BS begin.

Michigan will never leave the B1G. It is too established there and the money is too good. They are lawyered up. Let the muddying of the waters and the BS begin.
I doubt that they would leave. Wouldn't be that big of a deal if they did -- if they want to make threats.

Last edited:
lol--ask FOX and CBS and NBC if they need both

The big ten grew exponentially over the decade and a half+ between Michigan conference championships. It’s not like the conference was in dire straits until 2021.

They’re not going anywhere but let’s not act like the conference would crumble, especially given who is joining next season. Any individual institution is less valuable, not more starting in 2024.

The big ten grew exponentially over the decade and a half+ between Michigan conference championships. It’s not like the conference was in dire straits until 2021.

They’re not going anywhere but let’s not act like the conference would crumble, especially given who is joining next season. Any individual institution is less valuable, not more starting in 2024.
Michigan doesn't have to be winning titles to be a cash cow
Pretending any of Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, USC or even Washington/Oregon leaving wouldn't be detrimental to the league is false.

Michigan doesn't have to be winning titles to be a cash cow
Pretending any of Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, USC or even Washington/Oregon leaving wouldn't be detrimental to the league is false.

It might not matter to Penn State fans. It would matter a LOT to CBS, NBC & Fox.

It might not matter to Penn State fans. It would matter a LOT to CBS, NBC & Fox.
It should matter to Penn State fans as it cost us money
Too many people here are tired of being the third team in the conference so they want to run off a competitor IMO
There's no sane individual that wouldn't want Michigan in their conference. $$$$

That western bloc of schools are too powerful to allow the nonsense of the past to occur. No more dbags like O’Neill and company running rampant essentially fixing games for UM and OSU. No more catering to only midwest interests. Our admission into this conference set it on a path to become nationally relevant opening the doors to allow it to expand out west. Before PSU the conference was looked at as being old school inferior football that got it rear kicked in almost every Rose Bowl. UM itself has rarely competed nationally, just look at their awful bowl record! We brought life to the conference, but the conference failed at creating a real eastern bloc, stopping at Butgers and Maryland when it should have continued adding schools down the east coast. These 4 PAC schools have enough power, money, and influence to ensure the conference supports all its members instead of just two schools. Like you said, now one school cannot hold that much power or value.

It’d be a bump in the road.
Any program seems fungible after a few years of adjustment.

This argument about UM’s crucial importance to the league reminds me of that argument that goes something like “the NFL needs a good Cowboys team” or the “NBA is better when the Celtics are good”. Bullshit. If the Celtics suck for decades, some other team takes their place in the public’s imagination.

It should matter to Penn State fans as it cost us money

It doesn’t cost any of us any money. How much of it hits your bank account?

How many teams that get lower conference payouts than Penn State have made the playoff? quite a few.

It doesn’t cost any of us any money. How much of it hits your bank account?

How many teams that get lower conference payouts than Penn State have made the playoff? quite a few.
And every penny matters. College football is a big business used to support all other sports. Stop playing stupid.
Michigan is good for the Big Ten and Penn State. Just like Penn State is good for all of the Big Ten including Michigan. Reality.

And every penny matters. College football is a big business used to support all other sports. Stop playing stupid.
Michigan is good for the Big Ten and Penn State. Just like Penn State is good for all of the Big Ten including Michigan. Reality.

If every penny matters schools like Clemson, Cinci and TCU wouldn’t have playoff appearances. I don’t care about funding fencing, feel free to feel differently.

This is pointless because Michigan isn’t leaving. They couldn’t bear to have a season end without OSU.

If every penny matters schools like Clemson, Cinci and TCU wouldn’t have playoff appearances. I don’t care about funding fencing, feel free to feel differently.

This is pointless because Michigan isn’t leaving. They couldn’t bear to have a season end without OSU.
What are you talking about playoff appearances? It's about the TV Contract which is everything in college football. It's all about money. Nothing else.

To those who argue that Pettiti will be overwhelmed by Michigan's influence and great power and great lawyers. Here is his background. Harvard law grad. Chief operating officer of MLB. The idea that he could be intimidated by Michigan is laughable. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...n&cvid=e59a906edf974696a7954406050aefee&ei=13

Also, if Michigan uses Williams & Connolly as its law firm, Williams is good but nowhere near invincible. It defended Elizabeth Holmes in the Theranos/fraud trial and she was convicted on 4 serious counts. Of course, the Big Ten will have its choice of very good firms.

Reactions: IANit
To those who argue that Pettiti will be overwhelmed by Michigan's influence and great power and great lawyers. Here is his background. Harvard law grad. Chief operating officer of MLB. The idea that he could be intimidated by Michigan is laughable. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...n&cvid=e59a906edf974696a7954406050aefee&ei=13

Also, if Michigan uses Williams & Connolly as its law firm, Williams is good but nowhere near invincible. It defended Elizabeth Holmes in the Theranos/fraud trial and she was convicted on 4 serious counts. Of course, the Big Ten will have its choice of very good firms.
MLB did nothing of significance to the Astros, right?

MLB did nothing of significance to the Astros, right?
And the article says that it was likely that he was disappointed by MLB's weak response. In any event, it is clear that the Big ten commissioner is not going to be overwhelmed in dealing with this matter

And the article says that it was likely that he was disappointed by MLB's weak response. In any event, it is clear that the Big ten commissioner is not going to be overwhelmed in dealing with this matter
He already seems overwhelmed. Notice the time of announcement being less than 24 hours before the game. We'll see what he has to say and then we'll see if he's overwhelmed or not.

Would love to see some sanctions and UM get their panties in a bunch over it. USC is an upgrade replacement for the cheaters. Hope they take their football somewhere else - the B10 would still thrive without them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT