ADVERTISEMENT

Mick Jagger last night at age 80 (81 in July)

If you go to the tape you’ll notice 80 year old Mick moves his arms a lot more and legs a lot less than 40 year old Mick. It is quite an illusion actually but I give him credit for still being respectable.
heck, he's north of the grass. I can only hope I am alive at 80 and not eating mashed peas while watching The Golden Girls right after Walker Texas Ranger.

heck, he's north of the grass. I can only hope I am alive at 80 and not eating mashed peas while watching The Golden Girls right after Walker Texas Ranger.
I hear ya - I'm almost 74 and have nowhere near the energy when I was 40 (not even close) like Jagger does

I have a friend who works for HMO and took him around to the clubs in the early 90's in NYC. Said Mick partied until six am like a 20 year old. Some people just enjoy life ......... He said he couldn't believe it!

Last edited:
Stones are playing at 5pm today at the New Orleans Jazz Fest. All other stages are closed.
$225 a ticket.

Reactions: Hotshoe
If you go to the tape you’ll notice 80 year old Mick moves his arms a lot more and legs a lot less than 40 year old Mick. It is quite an illusion actually but I give him credit for still being respectable.
LMAORFL I am 79 and walk 3.2 miles about 5 times a week. I walked 6 today, 3 in the AM and 3 after noon. The last 2 were a survival march. Your body is always dieing. The process speeds up after 65. Every day is a gift from God. What you do with it is your gift to Him.

what is the size of the venue?
Not sure how many tickets were sold but the Jazz Fest is an outdoor concert held at the local racetrack (Fairgrounds) and it is all outside. Yes, it was sold out.

Reactions: Obliviax
Not sure how many tickets were sold but the Jazz Fest is an outdoor concert held at the local racetrack (Fairgrounds) and it is all outside. Yes, it was sold out.
I was trying to get a feel for supply and demand. Just about every concert for a major artist is sold out. Ticket brokers by them in droves. I met a group of college kids, who dropped out when they saw the money they could make, who built bots that get into online ticket sales in the first few minutes. They were interning at Intuit, which is right next to Facebook in NOCAL. They get all the best tickets to things line the Grand Prix of Monaco, Wimbledon, the Masters, NCAA basketball/football championships, Premier League championships, etc. The example is that I have a friend who graduated Purdue with his wife. When Purdue made it to the final 4, they were in Tampa with their kids. They paid $2,500 each of tickets to the final 4 and flew to AZ for the once in a lifetime games for their alma mater. Michigan too in football. Bottom line is people are willing to spend whatever they need for that once-in-a-lifetime game.

Bottom line is that I am thinking about going to the Stones CLE concert June 15th. I am trying to gauge how far the tickets will fall on concert day. @Wandering Spectator does a great job of this for Bowl Games. If there are a lot of ticket brokers involved, prices will drop on the day of the concert by about 30%.

Reactions: Wandering Spectator
I swear, Mick, Keith, and Ronnie are going to outlive all of us. RIP Charlie Watts. Dude was the coolest drummer ever. History of jazz which changed and drove the Stones. Mr. Bespoke.

I swear, Mick, Keith, and Ronnie are going to outlive all of us. RIP Charlie Watts. Dude was the coolest drummer ever. History of jazz which changed and drove the Stones. Mr. Bespoke.
I read a story about Watts and Mick. Apparently, they were on the road and Mick did a TV interview before a big concert. Mick goes back to his hotel room and is chilling. There is a knock at the door so Mick looks through the peephole and sees Charlie standing there. Mick opens the door and Charlie just plants him with a punch to Mick's cheek. Mick is completely knocked to the ground and looking up and Charlie says something like "Charlie? WTF?". Charlie says "I am NOT YOUR drummer. I am the drummer for the Rolling Stones. If you ever refer to me as 'your drummer' again, you'll get another shot" and turns around and walks away. That humbled Mick and has kept the stones together for this long.

This was recounted by a DJ who claims that Ronnie told it to him when asked why the stones have lasted so long as a group. Lastly, he said that you've never been punched until you get punched by a drummer as they are strong and fast.

I read a story about Watts and Mick. Apparently, they were on the road and Mick did a TV interview before a big concert. Mick goes back to his hotel room and is chilling. There is a knock at the door so Mick looks through the peephole and sees Charlie standing there. Mick opens the door and Charlie just plants him with a punch to Mick's cheek. Mick is completely knocked to the ground and looking up and Charlie says something like "Charlie? WTF?". Charlie says "I am NOT YOUR drummer. I am the drummer for the Rolling Stones. If you ever refer to me as 'your drummer' again, you'll get another shot" and turns around and walks away. That humbled Mick and has kept the stones together for this long.

This was recounted by a DJ who claims that Ronnie told it to him when asked why the stones have lasted so long as a group. Lastly, he said that you've never been punched until you get punched by a drummer as they are strong and fast.
Absolutely true, except the punch that never happened.. That said, all 3 remaining members are very honest and specific about the Stones and Charlie. "He changed us and made us who we are." Charlie was one of a kind. I still remember where I was the day Charlie died. I was shocked. No lie, I broke down. Just a great human being. He had an amazing collection of books and jazz memorabilia. Dude was a God, yet never mad himself center stage in the band.

Same thing happened to me when Troy Gentry from Montgomery Gentry died in a helicopter crash. Special people. Troy was just 50 years old. One of my favorite all time bands.

Last edited:

@Obliviax, best quote from Charlie during an interview. What's it like standing around all day for a video after 25 years wirh the Stones? "Well, you work five years and stand around for twenty."

• Haha
They’re playing here next week. Cheapest get in is $81. Cheapest 5* is $332. I saw them years ago on what I thought was their farewell tour. They’re playing State Farm which is home to the Cardinals. That $81 seat would absolutely suck. You’d be so far away and end up watching it on the video board. $332 isn’t bad if you’ve never seen them and want to knock it off the 🪣 list.

Reactions: Fac and Obliviax
We used to ski with a 92 year old guy. If you didn't know you would never guess. He was amazing. He didn't do bumps anymore but he was no slow poke. I told him when I get to 92 I'm doing bumps. My wife will roll my urn down the bump run.
Ski with a lot of old guys(+65) who can still bring it. Just have to stay really fit. It's just way harder at 73 than 23.

We used to ski with a 92 year old guy. If you didn't know you would never guess. He was amazing. He didn't do bumps anymore but he was no slow poke. I told him when I get to 92 I'm doing bumps. My wife will roll my urn down the bump run.
Ski with a lot of old guys(+65) who can still bring it. Just have to stay really fit. It's just way harder at 73 than 23.
One thing my father used to say is you don’t see too many old fat people

Reactions: johnmpsu and Fac
I also say that. It makes you think.

I was trying to get a feel for supply and demand. Just about every concert for a major artist is sold out. Ticket brokers by them in droves. I met a group of college kids, who dropped out when they saw the money they could make, who built bots that get into online ticket sales in the first few minutes. They were interning at Intuit, which is right next to Facebook in NOCAL. They get all the best tickets to things line the Grand Prix of Monaco, Wimbledon, the Masters, NCAA basketball/football championships, Premier League championships, etc. The example is that I have a friend who graduated Purdue with his wife. When Purdue made it to the final 4, they were in Tampa with their kids. They paid $2,500 each of tickets to the final 4 and flew to AZ for the once in a lifetime games for their alma mater. Michigan too in football. Bottom line is people are willing to spend whatever they need for that once-in-a-lifetime game.

Bottom line is that I am thinking about going to the Stones CLE concert June 15th. I am trying to gauge how far the tickets will fall on concert day. @Wandering Spectator does a great job of this for Bowl Games. If there are a lot of ticket brokers involved, prices will drop on the day of the concert by about 30%.
I read that Jazz Fest typically doesn't cap ticket sales, so a sellout historically isn't possible (it's an annual festival). This year sales were capped for all ticket packages including the special Thursday Stones show. Organizers haven't announced what the ticket cap was. It sold out very quickly. I think tickets went on sale in December or January. I was planning to go and forgot to pay attention to the sale date, by the time I looked in late January everything was sold out. Demand for the Stones is typically very, very high. I wouldn't expect much of a price drop by waiting until the last minute.

Poor Mick had to delve into politics and the La governor clobbered him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT