ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell Mesenbrink's Pace

While 2) is true - we're talking in comparison to other d1 wrestlers.

And for that group? it's 100% mental. Fear plays such a huge factor. Fear of being tired, fear of giving up points, fear of ending up in bad position - MM just truly doesn't care about it and is willing to exhaust himself and wrestle through that pain.
My post to vhsalum about the kitty was obviously tongue in cheek, but my point is that even mental discipline has its limits. However, that being said, I've read stories about people doing superhuman feats when they are in a heightened mental state. Some time ago, I read about a frantic parent DEADLIFTING an automobile off of their son after a jack had collapsed. (Try that, AJ)

On that note, here is a story about something that I witnessed personally that almost sounds like fantasy fiction from the martial arts movies. When I was young, I used to spend part of my summers at Camp Conrad Weiser which is a YMCA camp outside of Reading, PA. I'm betting some of the other guys posting here went there too. It was a great experience. Most of the camp counselors were college students that took the position for both the experience and as a summer job. In summer of 1964, one of the camp counselors was a student from Albright College named Hidy Ochiai. Any of you guys who are really into Japanese karate would recognize his name because he is quite well known on the East coast. Hidy was not a big guy - he was about the same size as Beau Bartlett.

One of the "activities" at the camp was working on improvement projects. One day, a couple of campers and a counselor were clearing out a path, and there was a huge buried boulder obstructing the way. The counselor and 3 guys were straining on a 6' digging bar to pry the boulder out of the ground, but it wouldn't budge. Hidy happened to come by and saw what everyone was trying to do and said, "Let me try." He squatted down and grabbed the boulder by one end and made this intense look like you would expect from someone like Bruce Lee. Then he exploded and ripped a huge rock out of the ground that four guys couldn't budge with a pry bar. After it came loose, he just rolled it off to the side and then dusted off his hands and smiled at everyone else who was standing there looking at him incredulously. I have no idea how he did that, but it sure makes me question where our physical limitations really end.

My post to vhsalum about the kitty was obviously tongue in cheek, but my point is that even mental discipline has its limits. However, that being said, I've read stories about people doing superhuman feats when they are in a heightened mental state. Some time ago, I read about a frantic parent DEADLIFTING an automobile off of their son after a jack had collapsed. (Try that, AJ)

On that note, here is a story about something that I witnessed personally that almost sounds like fantasy fiction from the martial arts movies. When I was young, I used to spend part of my summers at Camp Conrad Weiser which is a YMCA camp outside of Reading, PA. I'm betting some of the other guys posting here went there too. It was a great experience. Most of the camp counselors were college students that took the position for both the experience and as a summer job. In summer of 1964, one of the camp counselors was a student from Albright College named Hidy Ochiai. Any of you guys who are really into Japanese karate would recognize his name because he is quite well known on the East coast. Hidy was not a big guy - he was about the same size as Beau Bartlett.

One of the "activities" at the camp was working on improvement projects. One day, a couple of campers and a counselor were clearing out a path, and there was a huge buried boulder obstructing the way. The counselor and 3 guys were straining on a 6' digging bar to pry the boulder out of the ground, but it wouldn't budge. Hidy happened to come by and saw what everyone was trying to do and said, "Let me try." He squatted down and grabbed the boulder by one end and made this intense look like you would expect from someone like Bruce Lee. Then he exploded and ripped a huge rock out of the ground that four guys couldn't budge with a pry bar. After it came loose, he just rolled it off to the side and then dusted off his hands and smiled at everyone else who was standing there looking at him incredulously. I have no idea how he did that, but it sure makes me question where our physical limitations really end.
I have seen documentaries about mountain climbing and have watched porters - generally the low paid mules who hump the gear to base camp (and then the higher paid Sherpas/guides take over) - hike 15 mile days up 6000 vertical feet or more carrying way more than their body weight. It’s astounding. In one, a really buff climber asked the porter if he could try - he carried it 20 yards before giving up. It’s amazing what the body and mind can do when trained and motivated

I have seen documentaries about mountain climbing and have watched porters - generally the low paid mules who hump the gear to base camp (and then the higher paid Sherpas/guides take over) - hike 15 mile days up 6000 vertical feet or more carrying way more than their body weight. It’s astounding. In one, a really buff climber asked the porter if he could try - he carried it 20 yards before giving up. It’s amazing what the body and mind can do when trained and motivated
What do you suppose they have left in terms of remaining eligibility?

Still think a lot of MM is physiological and can’t be duplicated. Sure, tell a kid to shoot continuously, varying angles and direction. But don’t expect every wrestler’s unique DNA to regulate breath in the same way to provide energy needed to continue seemingly non-stop movement.
Plenty of wrestlers WANT to recreate MM’s manic effort. The fact we don’t see it happening (and only NOW enjoy it in him) may prove that this type of generated chaos is different than just willing it.
Regardless, we’re blessed watching it happen as a Lion.
I’m sure most of the folks on the forum noticed MM’s deep huffing while pressed flat to the mat in the final. It seemed to me that he was consciously gulping air … the kind of breathing we typically see from a gassed wrestler. In MM’s case, I wonder if it is a breathing technique that he consciously uses to restore his endurance. Coaches & former coaches among you …. Is this something that coaches teach and if so what % of mortals can do such purposeful breathing in the heat of battle?

giphy.gif

Remember those clips of Scotty on Star Trek? There is a physical limit we normally can't tap into because it's touching on and going past out breaking point. With training physically nd mentally we come closer to our maximum potential but few will ever touch it outside of an adrenalin fueled incident.

I’m sure most of the folks on the forum noticed MM’s deep huffing while pressed flat to the mat in the final. It seemed to me that he was consciously gulping air … the kind of breathing we typically see from a gassed wrestler. In MM’s case, I wonder if it is a breathing technique that he consciously uses to restore his endurance. Coaches & former coaches among you …. Is this something that coaches teach and if so what % of mortals can do such purposeful breathing in the heat of battle?
It was pretty obvious to me at the end of the first that he was actively managing it. I think some guys try to hide it, to their detriment. It seems Mitch’s POV is - okay I’m working hard and they’ll find out soon enough who’s gonna make it thru. Maybe he even thinks it’ll make his opponent to go all in for the kill, which isn’t there.

It was pretty obvious to me at the end of the first that he was actively managing it. I think some guys try to hide it, to their detriment. It seems Mitch’s POV is - okay I’m working hard and they’ll find out soon enough who’s gonna make it thru. Maybe he even thinks it’ll make his opponent to go all in for the kill, which isn’t there.
The fake-gas?? Hmmm

It looked to me like he was doing a modified pranayama breathing exercise, or a Wim Hof type of power breath to help recover faster. It may have appeared that he was panting and exhausted, but he didn't look gassed. I think he was using a breathing technique to get control of his breath after quickly expending a bunch of energy, as he was ready to go when the whistle blew to start the next period & showed no signs of fatigue/gassing throughout the rest of the match.

This would be a great question for his next interview.

I've done the Wim Hof breathing & cold for years & it significantly speeds up recovery time. When you do sit-ups your abs get stronger. Working the breath helps strengthen the entire respiratory system, and really helps with recovery from my experience.

Last edited:
Remember those clips of Scotty on Star Trek? There is a physical limit we normally can't tap into because it's touching on and going past out breaking point. With training physically nd mentally we come closer to our maximum potential but few will ever touch it outside of an adrenalin fueled incident.
Don't forget there are some physical limitations that you don't want to pass even if you can will yourself to do it. There is the famous legend of Pheidippides who is the runner that reported the Greek victory at the battle of Marathon. He died from heart failure right after announcing they had won. I don't know if this particular story is factually true, but I'm sure it is possible to push yourself to the point of cardiac failure if you're crazy enough to do it.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
It looked to me like he was doing a modified pranayama breathing exercise, or a Wim Hof type of power breath to help recover faster. It may have appeared that he was panting and exhausted, but he didn't look gassed. I think he was using a breathing technique to get control of his breath after quickly expending a bunch of energy, as he was ready to go when the whistle blew to start the next period & showed no signs of fatigue/gassing throughout the rest of the match.

I've done the Wim Hof breathing & cold for years & it significantly speeds up recovery time. When you do sit-ups your abs get stronger. Working the breath helps strengthen the entire respiratory system, and really helps with recovery from my experience.
I thought the same thing, and was set to ask him yesterday, but we didn’t get access to Mitch. He did make everyone chuckle, though, when he entered, because he was happily singing with his music on headphones, oblivious to the press conference going on. He lives with so much joy—a great role model.

Don't forget there are some physical limitations that you don't want to pass even if you can will yourself to do it. There is the famous legend of Pheidippides who is the runner that reported the Greek victory at the battle of Marathon. He died from heart failure right after announcing they had won. I don't know if this particular story is factually true, but I'm sure it is possible to push yourself to the point of cardiac failure if you're crazy enough to do it.
Exactly, until I got smart with training in my 40s I would routinely ignore the signs that it was time to back off and then of course I would end up hurt.

As for your story I heard of a prisoner resisting so hard that it took 5 officers 5 plus minutes to control him which lead to his death due to a heart attack. He threw around 5 , 200 lb or heavier officers in the 5 minutes prior to succumbing to a heart attack. Meaning he was kicking their asses, he was eventually dog pilied by them and when they had him secured the nurse took his vitals and he was dead.

Reactions: AgSurfer
Gotta admit I thought he was gassing...at first.

If it happens and KOT wins, this clip will help me live with it. So respectful to both Mitchell and his dad.
That said, I think it was Hamiti's length more than anything else that vexed MM. They say KOT's the wizard at scrambles and counters, but if MM's bad shots are snap-withdrawn (like he did with Caliendo), perhaps scrambles/counters are few and far between. Mitchell's shots sure won't be, and I gotta believe at least two hit paydirt. Counting at least 1 escape point and maybe another for KOT stalling (only because the shot count will tilt heavily to MM), I see at least 8 Lion points in a potential final.
I know, I know. Gotta get there first. Just can't imagine anyone in lower half keeping it from happening.

Guaranteed that KOT will be somewhere he's never been after 5 minutes. The question is, will Mitchell be within striking distance? If Mitchell goes into the 3rd down by 2 or less, forget it, he will win.

Exactly! When I was diagnosed with lung capacity issues as a result of my USMC activities, I was instructed to practice a pranayama technique called Sudarshan Kriya. While I have to use a breathing g machine at night, the breathing exercises of pranayama have allowed me to carry on with vigorous farm work during the day …. and I’m 75 now. The “huffing” that MM exhibited during the final reminded me of my daily 30 minute breathing routine. FYI - James Nestor has a great book on breathing (2020). I have no doubt that elite athletes are using these techniques.

There's an interview out there and I'm trying to find it. Mitch talked about how he learned how to control his breathing and techniques associated with it all. If I find it I'll post..

he said once before in an interview that he uses a breathing technique during the matches. I' don't recall the exact terms he used, or what technique.

he said once before in an interview that he uses a breathing technique during the matches. I' don't recall the exact terms he used, or what technique.
Yes! I'm glad you saw it too. I've been looking for the interview but can't find it. Thought maybe I was going insane...

Guaranteed that KOT will be somewhere he's never been after 5 minutes. The question is, will Mitchell be within striking distance? If Mitchell goes into the 3rd down by 2 or less, forget it, he will win.
I’d disagree, but I might be censored again, like I was in response to you calling Hannah something wicked. Even this post may have a shelf life ;).
Tip from an oldster: Don’t slur women. You wouldn’t want it done to your mom, sister, wife, daughter, or female friends. And laugh off any blowback you get here. Hell, you called me a dipshit and essentially wished me dead (long hike with no food or water), all FUNNY and FINE with me.
For the record, I think you’re right about MM beating KOT if it’s close into the third. He's a generational dynamo.

Last edited:

The one thing you guys are forgetting is that KOT will make MM pay for those bad shots. and if he gets a cradle locked up - forget it.

The one thing you guys are forgetting is that KOT will make MM pay for those bad shots. and if he gets a cradle locked up - forget it.
Bad shots? Has he even had many of those? Did Hamiti capitalize on bad shots against him? I'll re watch again but I think Haemitis first takedown was in my opinion Mitch just not expecting the quickness of an ankle pick and may have even misjudged that Dean had that kinda reach to get snag it. Was it the second takedown that Hamiti got one where Mitch had the leg and just missed on sweeping the leg? I'm not sure but think it was. Anyway, i personally don't see Mitch missing very often on that in the future. As for locking up the cradle it's certainly a concern. We haven't had the opportunity to see a Mitch defense on that but I just have this feeling he's wirey and has that feel for the position that he could roll through things like that (Ala Bo Nickal) or has the smarts to bail out of it...giving up the takedown instead of being turned.

Bad shots? Has he even had many of those? Did Hamiti capitalize on bad shots against him? I'll re watch again but I think Haemitis first takedown was in my opinion Mitch just not expecting the quickness of an ankle pick and may have even misjudged that Dean had that kinda reach to get snag it. Was it the second takedown that Hamiti got one where Mitch had the leg and just missed on sweeping the leg? I'm not sure but think it was. Anyway, i personally don't see Mitch missing very often on that in the future. As for locking up the cradle it's certainly a concern. We haven't had the opportunity to see a Mitch defense on that but I just have this feeling he's wirey and has that feel for the position that he could roll through things like that (Ala Bo Nickal) or has the smarts to bail out of it...giving up the takedown instead of being turned.
Hamiti's first takedown was his own ankle pick.

His next 2 were counters/scrambles off Psycho's shots.

Psycho's winning takedown was a counter to Hamiti's only other shot.

Am I remembering correctly that someone (Taylor?) had a cradle locked up on MM during the season but was unable and/or unwilling to roll with it? I was mostly concerned with Hamiti due to the cradle possibility, but he never even seemed to consider trying it. There must be some serious game planning going on behind the scenes in prep for the tornado that is MM.

Yeah, I see this match-up as either a close, late win for Mitch, or a MD or TF for KOT. Depends on if MM can adjust like he did w/ Hamiti or not. A fall would surprise me a bit, but it could happen too.

Reactions: vhsalum
Lar and Slumlord already are heading to the Karakoram as we speak to level the playing field
Doesn’t he/didn’t he run a ski resort? Match made in the clouds …

Actually that begs the question, can he offer the Hawks a naturally hypobaric training center at 11,000 feet?

Yeah, I see this match-up as either a close, late win for Mitch, or a MD or TF for KOT. Depends on if MM can adjust like he did w/ Hamiti or not. A fall would surprise me a bit, but it could happen too.
I think everyone keeps focusing on mm getting caught however, he is a lot craftier then people think and he could be the one catching people. He's subtle with back points but he did it against hamiti. Can't wait to see the rematch between mm and hamiti. There I said it. Hamiti makes the final taking out two studs and then gets beat by mm. Man everything looks blue and white through these glasses lmfao

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT