ADVERTISEMENT

More espn twitter personalities lashing out (this time it's Herbie)

Is that why he said his "Top 4" were now Bama, Clemson, OU and TCU??? So let me get this straight, OU beating a Baylor team that is now 0-4 (and came into the OU game Saturday 0-3) by a single score while surrendering 41 points to Baylor is a better win than PSU beating 3-0 Iowa @Iowa? Ummmm, Okee-dokee, amazing how the opinions of the "Eye Testers" and their ever inconsistent, flexible standards are in regards to the fraudulently named "playoff". Let me guess, just more of that legendary "traditional b1g $hithole" coincidental inconsistency, not actual inbred, slackjaw midwestern bias??? Things that make you go hhhhmmmmmmmm......
Just maybe, just maybe, he's taking into consideration that all 4 of those teams have beaten ranked teams and PSU has yet to do so? Let's see how we handle the buckeyes before we start throwing stones at Oklahoma.

Laugh if you want, but he steered that committee right where he/espn wanted them to be last year. Don't forget that and think it can't happen again.
How long has Herbie had this power to make people think and do things he wants? Is this a Jedi mind trick or did he actually kidnap all of the playoff committee years ago and brainwash them in one of those manturian candidate things? I do believe that the media as a whole does influence the committee, but it was a lot more than just Herbie last year with the looks test.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
Keep in mind that OU destroyed his precious OSU...no matter how bad OU looked Saturday against Baylor (or could look the rest of the year), dropping them would devalue OSU. I'm shocked he didn't bump them up to #2

How long has Herbie had this power to make people think and do things he wants? Is this a Jedi mind trick or did he actually kidnap all of the playoff committee years ago and brainwash them in one of those manturian candidate things? I do believe that the media as a whole does influence the committee, but it was a lot more than just Herbie last year with the looks test.

Herbie has the biggest influence and platform IMO. He's on TV spouting this stuff as much as possible. He's very subtle about how he gently 'suggests' who should be ranked where and why. The worst part is we laugh at the 'eye test' thing, but it's now something talking heads consider. That's how you get a team like OSU into the playoff over the B1G Champs, whom they lost to. It's a dangerous way of thinking and subversive fan manipulation. Herbie should be called out for it and rightfully so. He can't drop OU because their best win is over OSU - the higher ranked OU is, the better for OSU when it comes time for the 'eye test'.

I get so much more enjoyment out of turning the sound off on the TV and listening to Steve and Jack. I could not care less if it is not synced up exactly. There is no circumstance where I will put up with any of these blathering blatherskites.
That's the way I listen to the game. They add so much insight into the play by play action.

Herbie has the biggest influence and platform IMO. He's on TV spouting this stuff as much as possible. He's very subtle about how he gently 'suggests' who should be ranked where and why. The worst part is we laugh at the 'eye test' thing, but it's now something talking heads consider. That's how you get a team like OSU into the playoff over the B1G Champs, whom they lost to. It's a dangerous way of thinking and subversive fan manipulation. Herbie should be called out for it and rightfully so. He can't drop OU because their best win is over OSU - the higher ranked OU is, the better for OSU when it comes time for the 'eye test'.
Stop being a baby. As others have said, all four of his top 4 have beaten top 25 teams. We will get several chances to do so this year. Let’s just wait and see what happens.

BTW, if Herbie was so anti-PSU, why was he gushing all night about Barkley? He could not have been more on the Barkley for Heisman bandwagon.

Reactions: baircub1!
Stop being a baby. As others have said, all four of his top 4 have beaten top 25 teams. We will get several chances to do so this year. Let’s just wait and see what happens.

BTW, if Herbie was so anti-PSU, why was he gushing all night about Barkley? He could not have been more on the Barkley for Heisman bandwagon.

Meh, if you don't see it, I can't help you. 'Barkley for Heisman' is a great and obvious way to distract fans from what matters - which is the team ranking.

'Hey - I dropped you guys in the polls after beating an undefeated team, on the road, in a hostile environment. Don't worry about OU barely beating an unranked Baylor and staying put at #3 - Barkley for Heisman!'

are-you-paying-attention.gif

If you listen through the link on GOPSUSPORTS.COM, you can pause the radio broadcast and sync it up pretty well.
I don't understand why Herbie's bias is a problem to Penn State fans. I didn't hear one word from Herbie on Saturday since I muted my TV and listened to Steve Jones and Jack Ham on the radio. They do a fantastic job. I also love the fact that the TV broadcast is about 3 seconds or so behind the radio broadcast. I know what to look for when the action is shown on TV and get a lot more out of it. Nobody should listen to the TV broadcasters. Steve and Jack are the best.

Reactions: m48tank
FWIW ...

Booger McFarland just called Barkley the best college RB since Barry Sanders

I just wish Herby would shut up once in a while. Every damn second Fowler isn't talking it is Herby going blah blah blah blah blah blah.
That comes from being around jesse palmer, and so does his fashion choice. They must be in some competition for the worst dressed sportscaster award.
palmer cannot buy a suit that fits, and herbie must be color blind.

Reactions: crayfish67
Sending stupid tweets just makes all of PSU look stupid. I thought Joe taught us to take the high road.

I don't understand why Herbie's bias is a problem to Penn State fans. I didn't hear one word from Herbie on Saturday since I muted my TV and listened to Steve Jones and Jack Ham on the radio. They do a fantastic job. I also love the fact that the TV broadcast is about 3 seconds or so behind the radio broadcast. I know what to look for when the action is shown on TV and get a lot more out of it. Nobody should listen to the TV broadcasters. Steve and Jack are the best.

It is a problem because 99% of the viewership are not PSU fans and do not mute the TV to listen to Steve and Jack. So he has a very manipulative influence over who is watching...

Meh, if you don't see it, I can't help you. 'Barkley for Heisman' is a great and obvious way to distract fans from what matters - which is the team ranking.

'Hey - I dropped you guys in the polls after beating an undefeated team, on the road, in a hostile environment. Don't worry about OU barely beating an unranked Baylor and staying put at #3 - Barkley for Heisman!'

Are you saying that wins over top 25 teams mean less than barely beating weak opponents?

I watched the game again last night. Herbie, IMHO, was very complimentary all night especially with his effusive praise of Barkley. He said, unequivocally, that #26 is the best player in college football. Fowler reigned him in with a comment saying "well, best RB" and discussing QB's like SC and Louisville.

Herbie was spot on in his analysis of the game both in game tactical decisions and how Iowa was going to try and win strategically. He also backed PSU on the INT and McS' "fumble/pass".

Reactions: pink shizzle
I watched the game again last night. Herbie, IMHO, was very complimentary all night especially with his effusive praise of Barkley. He said, unequivocally, that #26 is the best player in college football. Fowler reigned him in with a comment saying "well, best RB" and discussing QB's like SC and Louisville.

Herbie was spot on in his analysis of the game both in game tactical decisions and how Iowa was going to try and win strategically. He also backed PSU on the INT and McS' "fumble/pass".

Then promptly dropped Penn State in his poll. His MO to a ‘T’. Was on ESPNU radio this morning and when asked about what he was thinking on his flight from Manhattan to Iowa, he said ‘TCU’ and how much he was looking forward to watching them. Then spent a few minutes reminding everyone about OU’s win in Columbus and how awesome that was. But I digress - it’s all in my head (so’s everything though, right?).

Are you saying that wins over top 25 teams mean less than barely beating weak opponents?

So if Iowa had beaten Penn State, would Herbie put them in his top 4 or 5? He went on about the TCU defense but ignores that they gave up 36 to SMU. TCU didn't even finish in the top 25 last year. They finished 6-7. Now after upsetting a conference rival they are the 4th best team in the country? Penn State goes 11-3 brings back most of that team and wins a tough road game against an undefeated Iowa and he drops us? Yeah, F'em.

I get so much more enjoyment out of turning the sound off on the TV and listening to Steve and Jack. I could not care less if it is not synced up exactly. There is no circumstance where I will put up with any of these blathering blatherskites.

I do this as well. If you have a DVR you can pause the TV to synch up the audio.

Except for the playoff special right before the final CFP vote when he viciously attacked us. No big deal.
Viciously.... come on. He didn't even sweep the leg!!!
But we did lose to middling Pitt and got creamed by Michingan. Either= ok. Both = problem.

And yes, Herbie is an OSU fan. No need to discuss that one.

Because Herbie dropped PSU in his personal poll and replaced them with TCU. He kept Oklahoma at third even after struggling against winless Baylor.

And at week four in the season, this is bad for us in what manner? IMO, he is doing us a favor. If we keep winning, this will all take care of itself.

And at week four in the season, this is bad for us in what manner? IMO, he is doing us a favor. If we keep winning, this will all take care of itself.

This was our thought process last year too. But - no more from me on this. We’ll see how things go I guess.

Reactions: m48tank

Agree...plus, we didn't play very well in terms of execution. We had a ton of penalties, we had to rush plays, we had a kid not take the field on a FG, we couldn't stop an unknown freshman DE.

Just keep winning. It doesn't matter.

At least 0-2 FSU isn't ranked by the media voters.
Coaches weren't so smart in Week 5 rankings.

Classic. No wins. Two losses. Ranked!

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Agree...plus, we didn't play very well in terms of execution. We had a ton of penalties, we had to rush plays, we had a kid not take the field on a FG, we couldn't stop an unknown freshman DE.

Exactly, nothing wrong with Herbie. Only natural that his OSU bias shows now and then. If we win out, things take care of themselves. This team does better when they have a chip on their shoulders anyway.

Then promptly dropped Penn State in his poll. His MO to a ‘T’. Was on ESPNU radio this morning and when asked about what he was thinking on his flight from Manhattan to Iowa, he said ‘TCU’ and how much he was looking forward to watching them. Then spent a few minutes reminding everyone about OU’s win in Columbus and how awesome that was. But I digress - it’s all in my head (so’s everything though, right?).
Not everyone is capable of discerning the subtle methods that you are describing. Some people think linearly and will never be able to get past "He said Barkley was the best player in the country". NEVER!

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

Agree, we still have a lot of areas we need to improve if we are to become a playoff team capable of beating Alabama or Cemson.

Agree, we still have a lot of areas we need to improve if we are to become a playoff team capable of beating Alabama or Cemson.

It would be nice to see Clemson struggle against VaTech in Blacksburg this weekend. Not sure they will lose, but if they struggle, how will that be reflected in the polls?

As good as our defense played, all we heard was how we were running downhill all game because we disrepsected their passing attack. OK.

I thought the WAY we ran downhill and attacked a pretty good back was kinda impressive. And we were able to disrespect their passing attack in part because we have pretty good DB's we could leave on an island.

But none of that mattered to Herby. We were looking good because of Iowa's inability to throw. We had nothing to do with any of that.

And that is the kind of crap that annoys me.

I have friends who watch dozens of games. They might tune into one of our games for 10 minutes and then be off. If they hear a "respected" voice like Herby making those kinds of comments, they assume he speaks for the game, knows what he is talking about, and then they click off. PSU won at the last second by a deuce? Yup, about as Herby said...

And yeah, voters do the exact same thing. Being dissed while playing great defense does not help the cause.

And yeah, we win 'em all, it won't matter.,

Um. Look what happened when Iowa threw the ball. We went down 15-19. Its like the only people that can criticize this team is our own? Herbie was fair in his assessment and guess what, without Barkley, we are not as good of a team. These are TV talking heads and they get paid to be hyperbolic, but they aren't wrong. Herbstreit has ALWAYS been quite complimentary of State especially when I was young and JoePa was at the helm.

I get it. I really wanted to be in the CFP last year. I fully believe that we had a strong case to be in it. The problem was, we had more working against us than for us. Those are the facts. And it is quite possible that it could happen again this year. Michigan and Ohio State both look suspect at points thus far. But people gotta relax. The playoffs don't matter. Right now, there is one goal, win out and repeat as B1G champs. Then worry about the playoffs.

Exactly, nothing wrong with Herbie. Only natural that his OSU bias shows now and then. If we win out, things take care of themselves. This team does better when they have a chip on their shoulders anyway.
It is much more likely that there will be multiple teams with 1 loss vying for an invitation to the festival. This is where these subtle criticisms will come into play.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
It is much more likely thatthere will be multiple teams with 1 loss vying for an invitation to the festival. This is where these subtle criticisms will come into play.
I agree but we have to win the big ten. Especially with tOSU loss. Without winning the B1G we went get in. TOSU got in by virtue of having less losses than us.

Um. Look what happened when Iowa threw the ball. We went down 15-19. Its like the only people that can criticize this team is our own? Herbie was fair in his assessment and guess what, without Barkley, we are not as good of a team. These are TV talking heads and they get paid to be hyperbolic, but they aren't wrong. Herbstreit has ALWAYS been quite complimentary of State especially when I was young and JoePa was at the helm.

I get it. I really wanted to be in the CFP last year. I fully believe that we had a strong case to be in it. The problem was, we had more working against us than for us. Those are the facts. And it is quite possible that it could happen again this year. Michigan and Ohio State both look suspect at points thus far. But people gotta relax. The playoffs don't matter. Right now, there is one goal, win out and repeat as B1G champs. Then worry about the playoffs.
blinders.jpg

We need to WIN..that's all. Against Michigan , OSU etc.

We WIN and we are in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT