ADVERTISEMENT

More frivolity from the Buckeye board (Zain/Micah)

Supportive post from a Buckeye fan, so all's good.

I think the second sentence ("It will be a battle that will come down to whether or not Micah can get out from bottom.") doesn't give Zain credit for his neutral game. After watching him in 2015-16, it's not just his ride, he's a complete wrestler.

----- snip

I agree that 149 is micah's weight. I know everyone is riding the Zain train but Micah will not go easy into that good night. It will be a battle that will come down to whether or not Micah can get out from bottom.

-----

Ain't gonna be a battle and he won't
Getting out from bottom against Zain usually involves the ref slapping the mat.

----- snip

I agree that 149 is micah's weight. I know everyone is riding the Zain train but Micah will not go easy into that good night. It will be a battle that will come down to whether or not Micah can get out from bottom.

-----

Ain't gonna be a battle and he won't

Maybe the Buckeye poster was combining Xanax and Red Bull prior to his comment!:confused:

Reactions: Grass
Nothing wrong with believing in your guy...somebody should get over their quick and make a bet for Wrestling For Life.
Buckeye fan is easily the most "irrationally exuberant" in all of Christendom.* Give them a good DB - they're "DB University"; a few good linebackers - now they're "Linebacker U"; win a wrestling championship and they will win the next 20 easy - with some success, a lot of them make Spyker seem like he's on Ludes.

They have an amazing overall sports program - now and historically, but their school pride is off the charts - run into 2 Buckeyes who got married and chances are one of their wedding pictures is in front of the damn "'Shoe". I'm not kidding.

Cael holding Ryan at bay currently is like the Roman outposts holding back the Visigoths. Future generations and the civilized world will thank Cael saving us from the Buckeye hordes.

* Duly noting my own irrational fandom and those of my fellow cronies

Echoing Roar's comments, funny how some still pigeonhole Zain as a top rider when he got taken down twice(?) last year and nearly bonused the field. Micah either lost or squeaked by ranked competition at 141. Maybe the cut to 141 was dragging him down (he wrestled at 157 for part of his redshirt season in 2015) but I don't see how he's a threat to Zain. Good for tOSU for pumping his tires though.

Buckeye fan is easily the most "irrationally exuberant" in all of Christendom.* Give them a good DB - they're "DB University"; a few good linebackers - now they're "Linebacker U"; win a wrestling championship and they will win the next 20 easy - with some success, a lot of them make Spyker seem like he's on Ludes.

They have an amazing overall sports program - now and historically, but their school pride is off the charts - run into 2 Buckeyes who got married and chances are one of their wedding pictures is in front of the damn "'Shoe". I'm not kidding.

Cael holding Ryan at bay currently is like the Roman outposts holding back the Visigoths. Future generations and the civilized world will thank Cael saving us from the Buckeye hordes.

Haha...complete with references to the Roman Empire. If I had it to do over again, it would be the Gable Statue with my wife. She has had her two ceremonies in the Church, she damn well owes me.

Zain could take the entire summer off and still win the NCAA's this coming year!

Reactions: amalone
To even get the RIGHT to be drubbed by Zain, Micah will need to get by Sorenson, which will not happen. Sorenson will hammer him, easily.

As an Iowa fan, I thought Sorensen had a great chance if he could get out from bottom. Then they wrestled.

Most PSU fans were probably just as confident in Zain before the match. That said, I did not underestimate Sorensen. He had quite a season.

As for the NCAA final: Zain had 2 TDs in the 1st period, 1 TD in the 2nd period, and 1 TD in the 3rd period. Score was 4-1, with Zain having 1:58 of RT, by the end of the end of the 1st period. The match was effectively over, though Zain scored 4 more points from TDs, 1 point from an escape, and 1 point from RT, without giving up any other points.

What was surprising to me was the lack of offense by Sorensen, and the TDs that Zain got. Sorensen really wasn't close to a TD the entire match. His best opportunity (really, his only opportunity) was in the 3rd period, where he got in somewhat on Zain's left leg. Zain pretty much stuffed Sorensen's momentum by blocking the head or the clavicle (couldn't tell from the camera angle), so even that attempt by Sorensen wasn't close to a TD. On the other hand, Zain's 2nd and 3rd TD were pretty surprising. They came off of leg shots where Sorensen hit a really nice sprawl each time, but Zain moved forward and got his hips under his shoulders, and drove through each time for a TD. I'd reckon that somewhere between 90-99% of the time, Sorensen would not give up TDs to an opponent when he had that good of a sprawl.

Most PSU fans were probably just as confident in Zain before the match. That said, I did not underestimate Sorensen. He had quite a season.

As for the NCAA final: Zain had 2 TDs in the 1st period, 1 TD in the 2nd period, and 1 TD in the 3rd period. Score was 4-1, with Zain having 1:58 of RT, by the end of the end of the 1st period. The match was effectively over, though Zain scored 4 more points from TDs, 1 point from an escape, and 1 point from RT, without giving up any other points.

What was surprising to me was the lack of offense by Sorensen, and the TDs that Zain got. Sorensen really wasn't close to a TD the entire match. His best opportunity (really, his only opportunity) was in the 3rd period, where he got in somewhat on Zain's left leg. Zain pretty much stuffed Sorensen's momentum by blocking the head or the clavicle (couldn't tell from the camera angle), so even that attempt by Sorensen wasn't close to a TD. On the other hand, Zain's 2nd and 3rd TD were pretty surprising. They came off of leg shots where Sorensen hit a really nice sprawl each time, but Zain moved forward and got his hips under his shoulders, and drove through each time for a TD. I'd reckon that somewhere between 90-99% of the time, Sorensen would not give up TDs to an opponent when he had that good of a sprawl.

Well, you didn't have to rub it in. ;)

I might add that it was pretty hard for BS to get to his offense as Zain pretty much controlled the ties and was constantly on his offense.

I'm not so sure M Jordan will get hammered by Sorenson or anyone else not named Zain. The kid took one for the team and made the big cut last year after wrestling at 49 and even 57 his RS year, and that cut clearly took a lot out of him. IMO he will be very competitive for second at 49 next year. Sorenson has been in some tight matches with Tsirtis, Sueflohn, Collica, Pantaleo, and others and Jordan is at similar level of talent.

I have read a few Iowa fans opinions that Kemerer with be right there with Nolf, and I find that just as unlikely as Micah in a close battle with Zain, but as Azchief said, nothing wrong with believing in your guy. BEFORE last season not many outside of PSU fans saw Nolf dominating everyone not named Imar, taking one from the champ and pushing him to the limit in the other two. Or Bo Nickal making the NCAA finals, let alone losing......in an upset! You gotta believe in your guys!

I'm not so sure M Jordan will get hammered by Sorenson or anyone else not named Zain. The kid took one for the team and made the big cut last year after wrestling at 49 and even 57 his RS year, and that cut clearly took a lot out of him. IMO he will be very competitive for second at 49 next year. Sorenson has been in some tight matches with Tsirtis, Sueflohn, Collica, Pantaleo, and others and Jordan is at similar level of talent.

I have read a few Iowa fans opinions that Kemerer with be right there with Nolf, and I find that just as unlikely as Micah in a close battle with Zain, but as Azchief said, nothing wrong with believing in your guy. BEFORE last season not many outside of PSU fans saw Nolf dominating everyone not named Imar, taking one from the champ and pushing him to the limit in the other two. Or Bo Nickal making the NCAA finals, let alone losing......in an upset! You gotta believe in your guys!

I'm in agreement that Kem will be right there with Nolf, meaning possibly being in the finals. Nolf is obviously on another level but I guess that's why they wrestle the actual matches. As far as BS hammering Jordan, I don't see it as BS is more likely to win by a TD, RT or SV as seems to be his track record against the top level guys.

Micah and Dean Heil waged epic wars in high school and we know how good Heil is. I'd say Micah will be at or near the top of Tier 2 behind ZPain

Micah and Dean Heil waged epic wars in high school and we know how good Heil is. I'd say Micah will be at or near the top of Tier 2 behind ZPain

We know how good Heil is: Good enough to win every single match, 4-2. At some point, you lose a few of those.

Kemerer had a solid redshirt year, but that was at 149. Expecting him to move up and be right there with Nolf is not realistic. Until he proves himself up a weight, he is a question mark for them. Speaking of which, I am real curious to see if Brands waits until a wrestle-off with Sorenson next year to decide who is going 157. Personally I think the decision has to made now, not next season, and maybe it already has been.

Kemerer had a solid redshirt year, but that was at 149. Expecting him to move up and be right there with Nolf is not realistic. Until he proves himself up a weight, he is a question mark for them. Speaking of which, I am real curious to see if Brands waits until a wrestle-off with Sorenson next year to decide who is going 157. Personally I think the decision has to made now, not next season, and maybe it already has been.

Just a guess but with Kem going 70kg at Junior Nationals and not cutting to 66 kg for Junior Trials leads me to believe they're bulking him up to 157 for the season.

We know how good Heil is: Good enough to win every single match, 4-2. At some point, you lose a few of those.

what am I missing here? Heil was 27-9 as a RS fresh, and finished 4th at NCAAs. He was 32-1 as a RS soph, and finished 1st at NCAAs. He bonused in 33.3% of his matches as a RS fresh, and 27.27% of his matches as a RS soph. I really don't care what his margin of victory was in any of his matches. 4th and 1st at Nationals will always get my respect, regardless of the uniform the wrestler wears.

This is really funny. I lived in Columbus in the mid 90s for about 5 years. I made a number of really good friends that I still keep in touch with. That being said I avoid Ohio State sports as a topic all together. These otherwise rational well mannered humans turn into complete maniacs.

I had a number of people ask me what it was like for Penn State football to play in front of big crowds since we joined the Big Ten. I would inform them that I ought to ask them the same question given Beaver Stadium, well, holds more people than the Shoe. This was repeatedly met with a statement that this was not possible. Upon seeing some sort of proof the looks of bewilderment were always entertaining. When it comes to sports in Columbus the earth ends just outside the beltway.

I don't know what the issue is. You all know that Zain stalls on top with that "stall" ride. He waits till the bottom guy falls asleep ( bored from all the stalling and fake attempts to crank them over) then pins them. It's unfair really, see Panetelo matches.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT